Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1020              1022              1041       1042       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1021 #1 · p.1021 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I used the SRT101 all through college, Minolta was making a huge push to be recognized as a "professional" platform at the time, and it was a great camera, but "the mind of Minolta" just never really made it to the level of "Nikon" in the consumer's mind. That 50/1.2 was an incredible lens with all the bokeh a sharp 1.2 aperture brings, it served me well. When I got out of college I wanted a Nikon, just because. I was working for Johnson's Wax in sales, making huge bucks......$600/mo.........so I was flush The camera store guy was pushing Canon, but it just didn't feel good in my hands, and "Nikon" was stuck in my head, so that's what I bought. The top of the line at the time was an FTN Photomic, and it was a dream to be shooting Nikon. Budget only allowed a 50/1.4 for a while, and then I ran across a 135mm and I was off to the races. I started with Caterpillar in the marketing department in 1972 and a client of mine who loved photography asked me if I'd like to borrow his Hasselblad. I did and my photographic life change in an instant. Just holding that work of art, peering down into the waist level groundglass, mesmerized by the detail in prints and transparencies, I was hooked. Some misguided sales person talked me into a Mamiya 2 1/4" box camera, touting Hasselblad quality at a fraction of the cost.................it was ok, but the magic of Blad was nowhere to be found in it. I sold that camera after a year or so and stuck with my Nikon system. When I went "pro" in 1980, I owned an F2, a couple of lenses and a flash, what a scary thought, how did I ever think that was a good plan? Then in 1981 a guy walked into my office in Dallas, I was still working for a CAT dealer, plunked down a Halliburton case filled with Hasselblad gear and, as they say, the rest is history. I took that Blad and a couple of rolls of transparency film downtown and shot an annual report cover for Hyattt Hotels. I wouldn't know that it was a cover until six months later when I screwed up the courage to knock on Hyatt's door with a print under my arm, my feet weren't touching the ground when I walked out of that meeting and 43 years later I'm still clicking.

Jun 12, 2024 at 08:22 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #2 · p.1021 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Bill,
I picked up an A1 with motor drive earlier this year as I had been obsessed with the camera during my high school/college years. Amazing how these old cameras feel in hand after all these years.

Gero

Still have my Canon AE-1 gerov and also my TLb.
Still take a good image on film!
Dan

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:02 AM
MBrewington
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1021 #3 · p.1021 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You guys are killing me with “Days of film” memories. Drooling over the ads in Popular Photography prompted my move from Kodak Instamatic 100 to the Minolta SRT-201 later followed by the Minolta XGM. My excuse for a decent camera was the birth of our oldest son in 1978. PDN convinced me I needed a pro camera to be a better photographer so in 84 I sold my Minolta system and dove into Canon. Truth is: the new pro camera did not improve my photography. The camera you have with you at the given moment is most important. How many of you remember rolling color prints in a tube?

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:59 AM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1021 #4 · p.1021 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Never developed color prints, only B&W. My Father in Law did develop color prints in the "tube".

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:08 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #5 · p.1021 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I never did color either Ray, temperature was just too critical back in those days and I didn't want to wast a lot of money and get a stack of off color prints. Lots of B&W construction progress though. Talk about a room that you could lose track of time in........

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:26 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #6 · p.1021 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I don't know why I didn't see the handwriting on the wall before 1980. In college I had three buddies that signed up for photography, they had no interest and asked if I would take the course for them. I shot three different styles, spent hours in the darkroom honing my skills. They all got A's and no one was the wiser. I never attended a class, just got the syllabus and worked off of that.

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:28 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1021 #7 · p.1021 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The best place I developed B&W was my last class (an elective) in college during the summer, a B&W photography course. We had our own lab. It was generous in size. Small, individual dark closets to transfer the film from the roll to the can. Class was over at 10 pm, and my wife wondered why I didn't get home until after 1 am because I was at work every morning at 6 am. Outside of my strategic management course the photography class was my favorite.

We would spend about an hour in the classroom then head to the lab. Everyone pitched in setting up the development/wash pans. No egos, just a bunch of people having fun experimenting and making prints.

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:38 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #8 · p.1021 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Initial impression of the Insta360x4, good build quality, menus take some getting used to, as do the buttons. I have no doubt that it willl pay for itself on the first shoot, but 360 is very quirky and is going to take some getting used to.

Jun 12, 2024 at 08:35 PM
MBrewington
• •
p.1021 #9 · p.1021 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My drum beat a little different. I never did black and white but had many late nights struggling to get color balance acceptable. No formal training or Youtube University back then so had lots of my mistakes to learn from. Now we bump a couple sliders or grab the eyedropper and Bingo! I sure don’t miss those nights or the toxic odors.

Jun 12, 2024 at 11:20 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1021 #10 · p.1021 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Can't beat a late night with the Army and a beautiful sunset at the airport.

Jun 13, 2024 at 12:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1021 #11 · p.1021 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Big birds for sure !

Jun 13, 2024 at 12:11 AM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1021 #12 · p.1021 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sunset Cessna-

Jun 13, 2024 at 12:12 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #13 · p.1021 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Medford AP Bill?
When I flew into Medford from Denver, it was sunset and the colors were just as you captured! Mt Ashland in the bg?
Well done!
Dan

Jun 13, 2024 at 09:12 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.1021 #14 · p.1021 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Bill Gass wrote:
Big birds for sure !

Dude, that are the Night Stalkers 160th SOAR nice catch.

Jun 13, 2024 at 12:32 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1021 #15 · p.1021 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Dude, that are the Night Stalkers 160th SOAR nice catch.

Yes Dan...Rogue Valley International Medford Airport.
The only airport on google earth that when you turn it horizontal it looks like a semi auto rifle but don't tell anyone...
Thanks Jan-Arie...Good catch buddy.
The 3rd chopper not pictured yet had just had a complete make over, inside and out, top to bottom, man it was nice.
Got a tour of that and a few pictures inside except the cockpit. The lidar/laser anti defense that thing has on both sides is frikkin crazy...So neat to see. We have made a few small parts for those and we coat some sometimes for another company as well. The M24 mounts on the back left and right side as well as a movable one up front right was pretty kool.

Jun 13, 2024 at 01:03 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #16 · p.1021 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Had an aerial video shoot this afternoon and I decided to give the Hero 12 another chance as a back up camera. 5.3K capture looked pretty good, but the thing that really surprised me is we were ups for an hour and the GoPro was still recording with 19% left on the battery. That is better than any previous model, and ambient was 97 degrees for the flight.

Jun 13, 2024 at 11:16 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1021 #17 · p.1021 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Had an aerial video shoot this afternoon and I decided to give the Hero 12 another chance as a back up camera. 5.3K capture looked pretty good, but the thing that really surprised me is we were ups for an hour and the GoPro was still recording with 19% left on the battery. That is better than any previous model, and ambient was 97 degrees for the flight.

How'd the batteries hold up in the other unit you had ?

Jun 13, 2024 at 11:59 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #18 · p.1021 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Bill,

The Insta360x4 has a really beefy battery. I haven't shot with it enough to really know for sure, but I would say it will run for 90 minutes without a problem at 8K/30fps. The other day on a test run it ran for an hour and had plenty left. The unit never shut down but it was a 100 degrees and the camera was hot. Editing 360 is freaky, cool though. Distortion close up is something that is going to take some technique.

Jun 14, 2024 at 07:25 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #19 · p.1021 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I had the Hero 12 Black back up this morning for a third flight and it performed well. One has to take into consideration what you are asking of a camera that size, it's really quite incredible. The dynamic range is a bit limited so you have to work on the final image in post to get the most out of it. Once again it ran for well over an hour capturing 5.7K/30 footage continuously in 90 degree air. Insta360 has a GoPro rival that looks promising, they are sending me one to test. The sensor is a bit larger, better low light performance supposedly and some pretty cool firmware, same price as the Hero 12 Black. I've been working on a system that will capture similar imagery to the stabilized helicopter footage that I shoot, only not at $5,000/hr. (my cost). The stabilization in the latest iterations pretty much has me where I want to be, but you have to be very careful when banking because the IBIS does what it was desighn=ned to do and it gets a bit confused and jerky in banks, they have to be very gentle.

Jun 14, 2024 at 12:24 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1021 #20 · p.1021 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This is a video of a site one of my clients is developing. The project will be a huge multi-use development with homes, apartments, dining, shopping and entertainment. Groundbreaking will be in the next month.............

Jun 14, 2024 at 03:48 PM
1       2       3              1020              1022              1041       1042       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.