I have a R5 and bought the RF 70-200 f2.8 non Z so I could take pictures of my grandson playing sports. He's going to be 7 next month and he loves any sport that involves a ball and he's very good so he's involved in a lot of the action. He's playing flag football on Sundays so I have been taking some photos. The first game I got some nice shots but I don't think I had the best settings so yesterday I tried a different settings and I think they are better. I wasn't sure where to start my zoom range while also trying to watch the action and anticipate if he would be involved in the action. Any tips on youth flag football or the other sports? I did manage to get a couple of shots of him closing his eyes as he was catching the ball. His mother and father has told him about it but he says he doesn't do that, but now I have proof. This is a 5 shot sequence of a catch and run for a touchdown. The 3rd shot looks like he has his eyes closed, but looks focused. How do we break that habit?
xcoaste wrote:
Looking good. I have been doing a lot of youth sports lately, and if you are able to get down low, to their eye level, I feel like that really helps.
Yes, get as low as possible. I sit on a stool since I can't sit with my legs crossed on the ground for too long. If you can sit behind the end zone so they're coming towards you, that's best. The old mantra of sports is "shoot tight, crop tighter". Move with the action or wait until comes to you and fills enough of the frame to get a good crop. The overwhelming majority of images get viewed on phones now so you can crop A LOT and still have a sharp image if the original was in focus.
For camera settings, I'd shoot f/2.8, 1/2500' in sunlight, but not less than 1/1000' if you have the light. I use auto ISO. 70-200 is kind of short for field sports so if he keeps going, you'll want something longer. I shoot almost everything with my 100-400 except the smallest fields or if it's night and I need f/2.8.
A challenge with covering sports with a zoom is that it's easy to get 'tunnel vision' through the viewfinder and shoot a lot looser than you thought at the time because you're so concentrated on the subject you overlook that the framing is wider than it needs to be.
It's difficult to say where the right position is because a good photo can happen from anywhere around the field, but as already suggested, if you're covering one team or one player, positioning yourself ahead of their direction of play is generally going to generate the most images because they should be running towards you as much as possible. However, your sample photo illustrates that often a receiver looks back to catch the ball. With football, I'd say it's either from the end zone or 10-15 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage, unless you're focusing on the QB, then ~5 yards behind the line of scrimmage for the classic shot of dropping back to pass. I agree, low angle is good and I prefer it, but watch the background as it can end up looking cluttered. Shoot as much as possible wide open to blur background distractions.
Trying to enjoy watching the game and photographing it might be conflicting interests.
Regarding eyes closed when catching the ball: I don't know what to recommend about that but it's not unique to him because I see the exact same thing all the time with professional NFL players.
I’m just a dad who photographs his son playing football. I’ve just started back after almost a 2yr hiatus prior to which I’d done it consecutively since he was 8yrs old (he’s 19 now). Throughout the season, almost every weekend come rain shine sleet or snow. Usually rattling off between 1000-1800 shots each game. I’m not a pro just a proud dad, there’s guys here way more knowledgeable than me.
For me (football) I usually position myself about 5-110yds from the corner then kneel down on one knee ( I wear waterproof over trousers). From that position I can sweep the entire pitch. I discovered a few years ago that being low and including the grass at the bottom of the image which is obviously thrown out of focus really makes a difference combined with the background getting thrown out of focus too, the action is isolated and pulls the viewers eye in. Likewise I never follow the players but follow the ball and try to anticipate what’s likely to unfold - obviously I get all the players in my sons team but when my son does get the ball I let rip !! Also I I grab shots before, halftime and end of match when they are all grouped drinking and larking around, those have become a firm favourite with the players over the years.
Your kit is fabulous I’m so jealous, in your shoes I would select crop mode on the R5 to increase the pulling power of that amazing lens.
I love it, after all these years I still get a kick out of it (no pun intended)
Oh, one other thing… once you’ve got your exposure right, then just concentrate on the game with your eye to the viewfinder following the ball….no chimping!! Believe me, you will miss magic moments.
Best of luck, I wish I could start over and relive those early years . Kids are adorable at that age, they are totally focused as they grow older they become more aware and self conscious of the camera watching them.
I will try getting lower next game and never thought about using crop mode. I also have the RF 100-400 but thought it would be too slow. Next time I will try crop mode and the 100-400 if it's sunny.
campy wrote:
I will try getting lower next game and never thought about using crop mode. I also have the RF 100-400 but thought it would be too slow. Next time I will try crop mode and the 100-400 if it's sunny.
If I’m right in thinking the pitch will be smaller at that age?? In which case I’d stick with the 70-200/2.8 and shoot wide open, the crop mode will give you the reach of 320mm, that’s ample for the smaller pitch.
I’m still using canon 5diii, old I know, but it still delivers. I used to always opt for centre spot AF, but after almost 2yrs absence my muscle memory is not back up yet, so last match I activated the immediate AF points surrounding just the centre spot AF… worked great. Fired off 1300 and only 16 were misfocused which I think is good going for such an old camera. Your R5 will have eye tracking, is that what you are using?? You will be able to capture incredible shots with the combo you are using.