fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
  

What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?

  
 
Nifty Fifty
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?




Knut. wrote:
The Sony GM 50mm/f1.4 version II is extremly sharp, even wide open.

Since when has there been a version II of the GM 50/1.4?



Sep 27, 2026 at 10:09 AM
j4nu
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Nifty Fifty wrote:
Since when has there been a version II of the GM 50/1.4?


Since ZA 50/1.4 .



Sep 27, 2026 at 12:43 PM
huddy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Most of my lenses have been sharp enough to feel pretty sharp. Certainly the advances in optical engineering, manufacturing and coatings have improved what the older lenses used to be capable of.

Nikon 500 f/4 FL E
CV 35/2 APO Z mount
Nikon 50 f/1.8 S
Nikon 24-120 S silly sharp for a zoom.

I always thought my Zeiss ZM C-Biogon 35/2.8 was ridiculously sharp. I never got to test it on anything beyond film though so I don’t know how it would hold up on higher density digital sensors.

Several of my old NIKKOR AIS lenses were pretty sharp. 300/2.8 AI-S. The 35/1.4 AI-S at f/5.6 and 50/1.2 AI-S at f/5.6 are also very sharp although of course not quite up to modern standards. Same for the 28/2.8 AI-S, and 105/2.5 stopped down a bit. The 55/2.8 micro still holds up nicely.

I can’t say I ever owned any lenses that were not sharp enough for any practical use though.



Sep 27, 2026 at 05:39 PM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


j4nu wrote:
Since ZA 50/1.4 .


Which is of course not a GM lens...



Sep 28, 2026 at 11:48 AM
j4nu
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Cliff L. wrote:
Which is of course not a GM lens...


(Whoosh)



Sep 28, 2026 at 01:16 PM
Kingfishphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


In Nikon brand, i would say my AIS 400 F3.5 EDIF lens. Recent Z lens my Viltrox 135 F1.8.


Sep 28, 2026 at 01:38 PM
Pete73
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


These days I only have Canon lenses but..
RF 50 1.2L Sharpest and also the best color and contrast I've seen
EF 600mm F4L II The newer versions are lighter with better electronics but not quite the image quality.



Sep 28, 2026 at 01:45 PM
ytwong
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Without scientific proof…

Voigtlander 65/2 APO
Sigma 135/1.8 ART

Before I have the Voigtlander 60, I might say Zeiss 100/2 MP and Nikon 60/2.8 Micro. The MP is sharp but the APO looks much cleaner without those CA and purple fringing .



Edited on Sep 29, 2026 at 07:56 AM · View previous versions



Sep 28, 2026 at 04:44 PM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Sharpest I’ve ever owned is probably the Nikon Z 105mm f/2.8 MC.


Sep 28, 2026 at 05:09 PM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Nikon 85mm f/1.8G out of all of my lenses. Even wide-open it has been pretty amazing.


Sep 28, 2026 at 07:53 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

bemei
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Voigtländer 65mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Macro, albeit I haven't used it on 60+ megapixel bodies yet, I no longer have access to it. I'd be interested in testing it against my unbelievable Schneider APO-Componon HM MC 45mm F4 which I have used extensively on an A7r4.


Sep 29, 2026 at 03:11 AM
tuxounet
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #12 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


For me, SONY 35mm f1.4 GM / Sigma 50mm Art F1.2


Sep 29, 2026 at 04:29 AM
Knut.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


j4nu wrote:
Since ZA 50/1.4 .


Thank you, yes I messed this up! 😉

In any case the Sony GM 50mm/f1.4 is extremely sharp, even wide open:
https://www.lenstip.com/645.4-Lens_review-Sony_FE_50_mm_f_1.4_GM_Image_resolution.html



Sep 29, 2026 at 05:30 AM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Several of my Zeiss lenses are so sharp, that I cannot tell them apart, with my available monitors.

Carl Zeiss APO Sonnar 135mm f/2 ZE and ZF.2

Carl Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 ZF.2.

Actually, some of the images captured on 24MP Leica M cameras, with my Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 ZM, amaze me, too. I wonder what the result would be, when I use this lens on my higher-resolution M10 Monochrom, and use a tripod, rather than simply standing on my aging hind legs, holding a small rectangular with my aging hands.

I have not yet really put my CV APO Lanthar 50mm to the test, for sharpness. My mundane images, thus far, were torture-testing it for flare resistance, and, as with my Zeiss Distagon, were shot hand-held, while standing, with little rectangular boxes. Initial impressions are GOOD.



Sep 29, 2026 at 10:16 AM
Alpunto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


The sharpest lens I've used since switching to Sony is the Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO

Keep in mind that I only use small, lightweight lenses. So far, the Sony 55mm f/1.8 ZA is my second choice.



Sep 29, 2026 at 11:10 AM
Michel85
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


My tripod is my sharpest lens. It makes each lens shine just a bit more in terms of when I value critical sharpness edge to edge.

Other than that I think most modern lenses have good sharpness, one just more than the other, especially in far corners.
I receintly purchased the Voigtlander 28mm APO. It is very sharp, maybe a bit too sharp for my personal liking.
I often reduce sharpness a bit by adding a bit of softness / grain. I seem to prefer that.




Sep 29, 2026 at 11:23 AM
Taperwing
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #17 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


100mm f/2.8 APO Elmarit R Macro

It was a friends, but he collected more than shot, and was always willing to share. It also was a beautiful lens to use, for almost anything. Quite unusual in that it took almost two full turns to cover the entire focus range. Focusing on the long end was not compressed into a very short throw, as it is for most macro lenses.



Sep 29, 2026 at 12:22 PM
pemanja93
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Viltrox 35mm f1.2LAB Z...really sharp, but with smooth bokeh


Sep 29, 2026 at 12:33 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Michel85 wrote:
My tripod is my sharpest lens. It makes each lens shine just a bit more in terms of when I value critical sharpness edge to edge.

Other than that I think most modern lenses have good sharpness, one just more than the other, especially in far corners.
I receintly purchased the Voigtlander 28mm APO. It is very sharp, maybe a bit too sharp for my personal liking.
I often reduce sharpness a bit by adding a bit of softness / grain. I seem to prefer that.



If I shoot landscapes I want sharpness, but for everything else…too sharp is a negative and I usually apply a little glow to the image to reduce that sharpness.



Sep 29, 2026 at 01:56 PM
darwinphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #20 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Voigtlander 65mm f/2 Macro APO Lanthar for Nikon Z mount.


Sep 29, 2026 at 02:50 PM
1       2       3              5       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account