fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       5       end
  

What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?

  
 
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


EB-1 wrote:
The 500/4 IS II is still excellent on 45MP R5 II as it was on 50MP 5DsR in 2015. It holds up relly well to the 1.4x III, but the 2x III is not so great. I'm sure they could make a better, lighter 500/4, but nobody seems to like that FL.

EBH


Sigma, Fuji and Nikon make/made a 500mm f/5.6. So it's not out of favour. It's more the f/4 version being out of favour.

I honestly believe Sony could make a 2kg 500 f/4 if they wanted. Sony actually released the 600 f/4 and 500 f/4 patents at the same time and yet did nothing with the 500mm version. I would take a 2kg 500 f/4 over even a 600mm f/5.6 that was a bit lighter, any day of the week.



Sep 24, 2026 at 09:56 PM
NJPhotographer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


One lens I used to own sometimes seemed excessively sharp: Tamron SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (for DSLRs). That's the impression it gave me anyway.


Sep 24, 2026 at 11:35 PM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Z-mount: Voigtlander 50/2 Apo-Lanthar

F-mount: Zeiss 135/2 Apo Sonnar



Sep 25, 2026 at 01:06 AM
rico
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Jack Flesher wrote:
We can’t say based on viewing digital images. To really determine true sharpness, we’d need to view an aerial image from whatever lens evaluated an optical bench to truly determine.

True dat. I have several lenses that are ridiculously sharp as viewed from the sensor, so I don't have any means to rank the top dog. Plus, sharpness is influenced by aperture, distance, and whether you prioritize the whole frame or only the center. Just to pick one arbitrarily, I'll say the Canon TS-E 135/4L which is not only sharp corner-to-corner but extends even further (tilt/shift image circle).



Sep 25, 2026 at 01:13 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Jack Flesher wrote:
We can’t say based on viewing digital images. To really determine true sharpness, we’d need to view an aerial image from whatever lens evaluated an optical bench to truly determine.


How do you view an aerial image? On a monitor? Then it’s a digital image. Or are you looking at a print? And is the print from film or digital file?
Then, not all lenses are optimized for long shooting distances.
Even the Micro-Nikkor AI-S 55/2.8 that Robert mentioned in his initial post is certainly not optimized for landscape photography: it’s a close-up lens that, thanks to its floating elements, manages to perform well in a wide interval of focusing distances.

In any case, I don't think the purpose of this discussion is to determine which lens is the sharpest of all, but rather to identify the lens/lenses that we consider to be the best based on our necessarily limited experience.

It goes without saying that the best photos aren't necessarily the ones taken with the lens that resolves the most lines per millimeter.



Sep 25, 2026 at 02:06 AM
Andyuk109
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Ripolini wrote:
Z-mount: Voigtlander 50/2 Apo-Lanthar

F-mount: Zeiss 135/2 Apo Sonnar


I was going to mention the 135/2

Pre Otus but always felt like it was a forerunner for them, pop an extension tube on and was a great macro option as well

Even now still feels like it was the sharpest lens i've ever used



Sep 25, 2026 at 04:13 AM
umut_h_toprak
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


I've had both the 85mm and 135mm Sigma Art series for Canon EF and used them with my A7R III. They were excellent of course but my interests shifted entirely to wildlife so I sold them eventually.




Sep 25, 2026 at 04:51 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Andyuk109 wrote:
Pre Otus but always felt like it was a forerunner for them, pop an extension tube on and was a great macro option as well


I played with it and my Canon 500D close-up lens to get up to 0.6X magnification




Sep 25, 2026 at 05:07 AM
jonshonda
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


I've always been curious about sample variation and the impact on IQ, which makes me nervous when looking at used lenses. I've toured the Vortex Optics facility and it's amazing the amount of effort that goes into their high end optics, and how just one of the many elements being just ever so slightly out of alignment can mess things up.

For Vortex all of that precision goes into an optic that is typically only viewed with human eyes, never needing to be magnified xxx amount and viewed on software, or critiqued on the internet by people who know what they are looking for. I would be very curious to understand the testing and tolerance that goes into modern Nikon optics, and just how much variation is deemed "acceptable". The same for vintage lenses where the engineers and designers had taken the time to perfect the optical formula and find the best components for something as simple as a 28mm 2.8 lens. "We make it out of the best materials, it will be perfect and people will buy them."

My dream would be to buy used lenses from someone who was able to take the time to try lots of samples of the lenses I wanted, and cherry picked the best ones.



Sep 25, 2026 at 05:50 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


jonshonda wrote:
I've always been curious about sample variation and the impact on IQ, which makes me nervous when looking at used lenses.


Sample variation makes me nervous even when looking at new lenses!
Actually, I only buy lenses online, so I can request an exchange or a refund. Still, it's pretty annoying to find that Zeiss or Voigtlander (new) lenses—which are known for their precise and sturdy construction—have to be sent back



Sep 25, 2026 at 05:59 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Andyuk109
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Ripolini wrote:



I played with it and my Canon 500D close-up lens to get up to 0.6X magnification

https://s1.directupload.eu/images/user/260925/oclgm7hj.jpg


I don't think I ever used a close-up lens on it, but I remember using tubes quite a lot, fond memories and even found a few pics






Sep 25, 2026 at 06:04 AM
jimmuller
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


What was (as asked) or what is your sharpest lens? Either 55mm f/3.5 AI Micro F-mount or 105mm f/2.5 P-C F-mount. I guess it depends on the application. I don't do serious macro stuff though. That 55mm works well at any distance. OTOH, my 200mm f/4 Q F-mount is no slouch either.


Sep 25, 2026 at 06:33 AM
grantgoodes
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


That title would easily be taken by my Voigtländer 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar


Sep 25, 2026 at 06:44 AM
Kenneth Lee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?







55mm Micro-Nikkor f/2.8
Sony A7R2



Sep 25, 2026 at 06:48 AM
Kenneth Lee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?







55mm Micro-Nikkor f/2.8
Sony A7R2



Sep 25, 2026 at 07:33 AM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Ripolini wrote:
How do you view an aerial image? On a monitor? Then it’s a digital image. Or are you looking at a print? And is the print from film or digital file?
Then, not all lenses are optimized for long shooting distances.
Even the Micro-Nikkor AI-S 55/2.8 that Robert mentioned in his initial post is certainly not optimized for landscape photography: it’s a close-up lens that, thanks to its floating elements, manages to perform well in a wide interval of focusing distances.

In any case, I don't think the purpose of this discussion is to determine which lens is the sharpest of all,
...Show more →

That’s the whole point: you view an aerial image on an optical bench directly, it’s not projected or scanned.



Sep 25, 2026 at 08:37 AM
tomaswvtommy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Sharpest as in the sharpest pictures I produced given my camera bodies at the time and style of photography (e.g., very, very rarely having a tripod with me) I’d say the Nikon 60mm 2.8 AF-S paired with my D810.


Sep 25, 2026 at 08:53 AM
InFocus2014
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


That's a really tough one to narrow down: The state-of-the art in lenses has taken a real leap in recent years, across many manufacturers.

GM 300mm f2.8, Sigma 105mm f1.4, GM 85mm f1.4 II, Sigma 35mm f1.4 II, Viltrox 35mm f1.2, Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro, GM 28-70mm f2, GM 50-150mm f2, Fuji GF 110mm f2 and Fuji GF500mm f5.6.

If I was pushed really hard to pick one, it might be the GM 300mm f2.8.

Edited on Sep 25, 2026 at 09:09 AM · View previous versions



Sep 25, 2026 at 09:08 AM
larsjen
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


300mm f2.8 GM


Sep 25, 2026 at 09:08 AM
rick-reno
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?


Nikon 200mm f/4D ED-IF AF Micro Nikkor Lens


Sep 25, 2026 at 09:10 AM
1              3       4       5       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       5       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account