p.3 #2 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
Ripolini wrote:
Sample variation makes me nervous even when looking at new lenses!
Actually, I only buy lenses online, so I can request an exchange or a refund. Still, it's pretty annoying to find that Zeiss or Voigtlander (new) lenses—which are known for their precise and sturdy construction—have to be sent back
I was amazed at the precision needed for optics from Vortex. They had some really high end machines and measuring devices required for some of their optics. The tolerances they were trying to maintain were numbers I had a hard time even imagining, which got me thinking a bit about photography optics. Most people likely think that a Zeiss lens out of calibration is sloppy workmanship, but reality is that it's likely a micron or two that means the difference between really good and something that has to sent back.
p.3 #5 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
Plena, its not the sharpest wide open lens I have ever tried (in-fact my Samyang AF135 is sharper wide open) but it's mid zone and corners surpasses many primes in their centre area. By f2.8 Plena is perfect optics.
p.3 #6 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
Sigma 105mm 1.4 (blisteringly sharp from wide open)
Zeiss 135/2 (i feel the only reason they didnt call it an Otus is because its f/2. One of my all time favorites).
Nikon 200/2
p.3 #7 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
For pure sharpness, I would have to hand it to the Sigma 40mm f1.4.
The Voigtländer APO lenses are awesome, though, too. I have the 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 65mm f2 and 110mm f2.5.
It is a bit hard to compare sharpness across focal lengths, though. Usually, longer lenses are sharper. So usually I like to compare lens sharpness to lenses around the same focal length.
p.3 #10 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
Sadly none are Nikon lenses. Love the Nikon 58mm 1.4g but it was not sharp at all. Just had character.
Sony 135mm 1.8g. Curious to see how the Nikon Z 135mm stacks up but dont have that lens.
Canon RF 50mm 1.2L. For a 1.2 it was perfect.
Zeiss Batis 25mm F2. This may be bias but loved everything about that lens sharpness and picture quaility.
Sony 35m 1.4 gm. Feel like the Nikon Z 35mm 1.2 is also close. The Sony was just clinically perfect especially for the size.
Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di. Used adapter to Canon RF mount. For the price it was magical.
p.3 #11 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
I haven't obsessed over sharpness for a very long time. Most modern lenses are extraordinarily sharp, especially when stopped down. Wide open performance, without pf/ca matters more to me than sharpness itself, but of course they tend to go together. You can always stop down to increase sharpness but you can't change wide open performance.
Not the absolute sharpest, but certainly my favourite wide open performer is the GM 50/1.2. The GM 35/1.4 is excellent wide open, one day I might even stop it down.
The (latest) Leica Summicron-R 50/2 is extremely impressive for overall sharpness across the frame when stopped down, a great 'landscape' lens. However I dislike it wide open for its purple fringing and in the end, I rarely use it.
The voiglander apo 50/2 is amazing from wide open, it's a reference lens.
If talking macros, the Mamiya m645 4/120A is incredibly sharp, but so are virtually all macros.
p.3 #13 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
I think my #1 is likely my Nikon Z 105mm macro lens. I have a couple of Leica lenses and a couiple more Nikons that are really, really sharp but if I am to split hairs, I'd say the 105mm Z macro.
p.3 #16 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
My af-s 105mm f/2.8 micro nikkor and af 50mm f/1.8 are as sharp as anything I ever need. I'm not as anal about sharpness these days as I used to be. Some of my best shots have been taken with very mediocre cameras and lenses.
p.3 #18 · What was your sharpest lens, regardless of manufacturer or focal length?
300 GM f/2.8 and 85mm GM f/1.4 II are both exceptionally sharp.
The 35mm f/1.4 and 50 mm f/1.2 that I've owned were also impressive, and so is my copy of the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 DG DN II (better than any of the 3 Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM II I've tried)