fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

  

Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2

  
 
asdfghreturns
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


I recently added the Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 M-mount to my lens stable. The marginal value it adds to my collection is debatable, so I took some test shots to see if I could prove to myself that it was worth the $600 for the "Zeiss magic" (microcontrast, colors, 3D pop, whatever).

First off, hats off to Fred and others who make detailed comparison reviews. My simple comparison took a surprising amount of effort. It's not easy controlling every factor to make it a fair comparison.

Cast of Characters


From left to right:
- Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar (VM)
- Zeiss Planar 50/2 (ZM)
- Voigtlander 58/1.4 SLII-S (VF)
- Sigma Art 50/1.4 DG HSM F-mount (SF)

[List UBBcode formatting didn't work?]

Something I'm interested in understanding is the tradeoffs in image quality as lens complexity rises. Note the rising complexity and size in this lineup (# elements / # groups).

- VM (5/3)
- ZM (6/4)
- VF (7/6)
- SF (13/8)

How much color and contrast ("microcontrast") is lost as the number of elements and optical groups rises? Can the color and contrast be recovered in post-processing? Is there some magic "dimensionality" that is absorbed by lens complexity?

I'll structure my comparison like Fred's reviews with links to sections as the analysis expands.

1. Landscape comparison - Zeiss Planar 50/2 vs. Voigtlander 58/1.4 SLII-S Nokton vs. Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar

Edited on Aug 27, 2026 at 11:17 PM · View previous versions



Aug 27, 2026 at 12:48 AM
asdfghreturns
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


1. Landscape comparison - Zeiss Planar 50/2 M-mount (ZM) vs. Voigtlander 58/1.4 SLII-S Nokton F-mount (VF) vs. Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar M-mount (VM)

Taken on my Nikon Z5 (24MP raw [NEF]), Novoflex M-mount/K&F Concept F-mount adapters, overcast conditions, tripod, 5-second shutter delay, F/5.6 1/100s ISO 100, 1 minute apart, re-focused in magnified view on center each shot. First set is the full shot, unaltered except for setting the same white balance. Second set is a center crop where I have adjusted exposure compensation and contrast for each photo to maximize the contrast and colors within the cropped area and equalize for slight differences in light transmission, vignetting etc. The hope is to isolate the color response character of each lens.

Full shot, unaltered except for setting the same white balance:

VM


ZM


VF


Center crop where with adjusted exposure compensation and contrast for each lens, "spreading the histogram" to the edge of clipping highlights and shadows, as much as each crop could handle.

VM +1.68 EV, +28 Contrast


ZM +1.72 EV, +20 Contrast


VF +1.25 EV, +20 Contrast


Image quality/resolution may be limited by Flickr. Link to full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/203394938@N05/albums/72177720335331458/

My take on the images, in particular the crops:

Voigtlander Heliar (VM) has a darker warm cast with strong contrast in the reds, which gives the tree trunk good dimensionality, but surprisingly less contrast overall (note it needed the most contrast boost). Or perhaps not surprisingly given how I've been slightly unsatisified with the VM. VM greens are clearly less contrasty, with less "tonality" in the greens as they might say. Voigtlander Nokton SLII-S (VF) is brighter, flatter, with a pleasing but perhaps not-totally-accurate golden tone. VF has less contrast objectively but balanced color, good sharpness in the focused area and smooth focus fall-off makes up for the lower contrast. ZM has good color contrast in all three wavelengths - reds, greens, and blues, as seen in the histograms (not shown here). Some people complain that Zeiss "crushes" shadow tonality, and I can see how its higher contrast leads to darker shadows, but no information is lost in the shadows - we can raise shadow levels if we want, whereas we cannot create contrast if the lens fails to separate tones.

In other areas of the images other characteristics commonly called out are evident: Zeiss Planar (ZM) rendering has a strong center zone of peak sharpness that falls off quickly (the "pop") into a slightly busy blur area. Voigtlander Heliar (VM) is relatively free of aberrations - minimal chromatic abberations, sharp to the corners combined with slower focus falloff creates a "documentary" feel. VM strong red response probably lends itself well to black and white images. Combined with its heavier vignetting, the VM is less satisfying in nature scenes with lots of green vegetation, so I'm optimistic the Zeiss Planar (ZM) will earn its keep where nature landscapes are the priority.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the Voigtlander Nokton (VF) does with nature tones and resolution. The lens already shines with portraits with strong subject rendering, low vignetting, and smooth bokeh (at F2 and below) - I should feel comfortable using it more in nature, stopped down further, such as as a one-lens ~50mm hiking solution with family. The Zeiss Planar will be for when I want maximum color fidelity, vibrance, and don't need to have pleasing out of focus background. I've had the best results shooting the Voigtlander Heliar VM in high contrast light (literally noon sunlight in the snow), and less satisfying results in softer light. I suppose that's why they named it Heliar, for pictures in sunlight!

Not included in this round is the Sigma Art. At the highest complexity (13 elements in 8 groups) and mass, I expect it to fall further along the spectrum as the relatively complex Voigtlander Nokton (7 elements in 6 groups) - with even smoother bokeh, higher contrast at wider apertures, but with more of a color cast. And of course it is uniquely qualified for people photos with autofocus.

Okay this is hard work - hope it's been helpful. On one hand it feels like I'm counting angels on a pinhead - at first glance the differences seem very subtle. On the other hand I'm pleased I have isolated meaningful differences that are congruent with my experience and feelings using the Nokton and Heliar. Let me know if there's anything I can elaborate upon, or compare further.

Edited on Aug 27, 2026 at 11:18 PM · View previous versions



Aug 27, 2026 at 02:21 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


Back in 2012 Lens Rentals did a 'Great 50mm Shootout' on their blog, including a range of then-current M-mount lenses, including the ZM 50/2 Planar.

As you can see from their numbers, it actually kind of underperformed compared to most other options:



That said, it was one of my first M lenses on the M9 before eventually adding a bunch of other 50mm lenses, and never really found it lacking. It was an easy to use, consistently performing lens with good 'Zeiss punch' that otherwise isn't all that unique. Compared to some of my other 50s, such as the 50 Lux ASPH, the ZM does produce quite noticeable sunstars, if you're into those. Also backlit/veiling flare performance is not amazing, but also not worse than the 50 Lux ASPH, which is relatively susceptible to veiling flare.



Aug 27, 2026 at 10:55 AM
asdfghreturns
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


Cool, that LensRentals blog didn't come up in my research. Good data.

I'll note that the LensRentals analysis is purely about fine resolution - MTF50 specifically, and not other lens characteristics. As they wrote: "Color rendering [emphasis added], autofocus accuracy, chromatic aberration, build quality, flare resistance, and a dozen other real-world considerations aren’t considered at all."

In terms of MTF, the Zeiss "microcontrast" look is supposed to be about higher MTF10 values rather than fine resolution (MTF50).

Still, saying the Zeiss Planar MTF50 underperformed is putting it a bit strongly - the values are only 10-15% lower than the Leicas, and they are on par with the Canon and Nikon lenses. At 24MP I'm less concerned about ultimate resolution.

My comparison test has congruent results - the Zeiss shows similar resolution to the Heliar and Nokton. Where the Planar stands out is color contrast and balance. I'm sure the Leicas perform well with color too!



Aug 27, 2026 at 01:05 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


I'm not saying the ZM is a bad lens and of course sharpness isn't everything. I still have it after all these years. However, even on 18 and 24MP, at f/2 it's not as strong in fine detail sharpness/contrast (micro contrast) as the 50 Lux ASPH at f/2. But the ZM does have that somewhat intangible 'Zeiss look' that many are after, at least to some degree.


Aug 27, 2026 at 02:37 PM
asdfghreturns
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


Agreed, it's not amazing at wide apertures. I'm evaluating it for use at peak sharpness/contrast around F4 or F5.6. At F2 the Summilux does blow it away by 70% in LensRentals' MTF50!


Aug 27, 2026 at 03:12 PM
asdfghreturns
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


A few recent snaps with the ZM 50mm F2 that demonstrate the tonality I've been looking for. These were handheld at F4 while on the go, not carefully framed - literally while being bit by mosquitos in the first pic. Anyhow, this is the first time I've been satisfied with the way redwood forests are captured. I love how there is a sense of depth in the vegetation, and texture comes through. At 100% pixel peeping it's not perfectly sharp, but I would rather have this contrast and color over additional resolution.






Oct 03, 2026 at 12:01 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


rscheffler wrote:
Back in 2012 Lens Rentals did a 'Great 50mm Shootout' on their blog, including a range of then-current M-mount lenses, including the ZM 50/2 Planar.

As you can see from their numbers, it actually kind of underperformed compared to most other options:

https://i.postimg.cc/9Q541ZD8/LR-2012-50mm-M-shootout.jpg

That said, it was one of my first M lenses on the M9 before eventually adding a bunch of other 50mm lenses, and never really found it lacking. It was an easy to use, consistently performing lens with good 'Zeiss punch' that otherwise isn't all that unique. Compared to some of my other 50s, such as the 50 Lux ASPH,
...Show more →

I've come across this chart before, and it always makes me scratch my head. The Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron significantly outperforms the Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar here. Both share a similar Double Gauss design, but plenty of anecdotal feedback, usually rates the Zeiss as the sharper, punchier lens. LensRentals' MTF data doesn't really reflect that. What does match my own testing, though, is the center performance of the Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH. at f/2. It's easily one of the sharpest lenses available (center and f/2+), only outpaced by the newer APO designs.



Oct 03, 2026 at 12:46 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


I used to have the ZM Planar 50 (and Sonnar 1.5) and found the Planar had really pleasant, smooth bokeh.
I sold off both because they started to exhibit the infamous Zeiss wobble.



Oct 03, 2026 at 02:00 PM
speedgraphic
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


I'd really like to see Zeiss update their M lenses but I suspect they were always a Cosina venture, with the aim of creating a 'premium brand' extension of their own M lenses. They way it is now, the Cosina lenses are better than the older ZM designs for the most part. But many of them are still sold new at inflated prices relative to their value proposition.

I have the ZM 35/2 and 25/2.8. Fantastic on film, though the Biogon if I'm being honest is not incredible in its own right. It has low distortion but it's about as sharp as the old Nikkor 35/2D.

I think most practical shooters would find the ZM 50/2 perfectly fine to excellent for even the M11. Though if you're looking at the 50/2 APO from VM or the ZM 50/2 Planar...there aren't a ton of reasons 'not' to get the APO.



Oct 04, 2026 at 11:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


speedgraphic wrote:
I think most practical shooters would find the ZM 50/2 perfectly fine to excellent for even the M11. Though if you're looking at the 50/2 APO from VM or the ZM 50/2 Planar...there aren't a ton of reasons 'not' to get the APO.


I can think of a couple of reasons to choose the ZM 50/2 Planar over the CV 50/2 APO. It's smaller, so it blocks less of the framelines, and it's about 75 grams lighter. Beyond that, I can't think of many. Both lenses are made by Cosina, so build quality should be similar, and when it comes to image quality, the APO has a few good reasons to be the one to get if you value things like CA correction, neutral field curvature, and sharper corners. I concede that rendering is more subjective, so that really comes down to application and taste.



Oct 04, 2026 at 01:06 PM
asdfghreturns
Online
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2




speedgraphic wrote:
Though if you're looking at the 50/2 APO from VM or the ZM 50/2 Planar...there aren't a ton of reasons 'not' to get the APO.


I studied the comparison shots in Jack Takahashi's VM 50/2 APO review and I preferred the ZM 50/2 Planar's vegetation colors (green tones). https://jacktaka.com/voigtlander-50mm-f2

The APO performs better at wide apertures, but I wanted the ZM for stopped-down shooting, where I think the ZM actually has more contrast than the APO.

The ZM was about 2/3 the price when I was shopping, too.



Oct 04, 2026 at 04:20 PM
speedgraphic
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


The ZM 50 is also smaller. There was a time when they were pretty cheap, trading at like $450.

I ended up with an APO but only because the person I bought my M7 from was bundling it with the APO. Frankly the lens I really want is the VM 50/1.5 but I'm not going to move heaven and earth to get it.



Oct 04, 2026 at 05:12 PM







FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account