fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of asdfghreturns's message #17096105 « Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 »

  

asdfghreturns
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


I recently added the Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 M-mount to my lens stable. The marginal value it adds to my collection is debatable, so I took some test shots to see if I could prove to myself that it was worth the $600 for the "Zeiss magic" (microcontrast, colors, 3D pop, whatever).

First off, hats off to Fred and others who make detailed comparison reviews. My simple comparison took a surprising amount of effort. It's not easy controlling every factor to make it a fair comparison.

Cast of Characters


From left to right:
- Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar (VM)
- Zeiss Planar 50/2 (ZM)
- Voigtlander 55/1.4 SLII-S (VF)
- Sigma Art 50/1.4 DG HSM F-mount (SF)

[List UBBcode formatting didn't work?]

Something I'm interested in understanding is the tradeoffs in image quality as lens complexity rises. Note the rising complexity and size in this lineup (# elements / # groups).

- VM (5/3)
- ZM (6/4)
- VF (7/6)
- SF (13/8)

How much color and contrast ("microcontrast") is lost as the number of elements and optical groups rises? Can the color and contrast be recovered in post-processing? Is there some magic "dimensionality" that is absorbed by lens complexity?

I'll structure my comparison like Fred's reviews with links to sections as the analysis expands.

1. Landscape comparison - Zeiss Planar 50/2 vs. Voigtlander 55/1.4 SLII-S Nokton vs. Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar



Aug 27, 2026 at 02:32 AM
asdfghreturns
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


I recently added the Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 M-mount to my lens stable. The marginal value it adds to my collection is debatable, so I took some test shots to see if I could prove to myself that it was worth the $600 for the "Zeiss magic" (microcontrast, colors, 3D pop, whatever).

First off, hats off to Fred and others who make detailed comparison reviews. My simple comparison took a surprising amount of effort. It's not easy controlling every factor to make it a fair comparison.

Cast of Characters


From left to right:
- Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar (VM)
- Zeiss Planar 50/2 (ZM)
- Voigtlander 55/1.4 SLII-S (VF)
- Sigma Art 50/1.4 DG HSM F-mount (SF)

[List UBBcode formatting didn't work?]

Something I'm interested in understanding is the tradeoffs in image quality as lens complexity rises. Note the rising complexity and size in this lineup (# elements / # groups).

- VM (5/3)
- ZM (6/4)
- VF (7/6)
- SF (13/8)

How much color and contrast ("microcontrast") is lost as the number of elements and optical groups rises? Can the color and contrast be recovered in post-processing? Is there some magic "dimensionality" that is absorbed by lens complexity?

I'll structure my comparison like Fred's reviews with links to sections as the analysis expands.

- Landscape comparison - Zeiss Planar 50/2 vs. Voigtlander 55/1.4 SLII-S Nokton vs. Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar



Aug 27, 2026 at 02:26 AM
asdfghreturns
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2


I recently added the Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 M-mount to my lens stable. The marginal value it adds to my collection is debatable, so I took some test shots to see if I could prove to myself that it was worth the $600 for the "Zeiss magic" (microcontrast, colors, 3D pop, whatever).

First off, hats off to Fred and others who make detailed comparison reviews. My simple comparison took a surprising amount of effort. It's not easy controlling every factor to make it a fair comparison.

Cast of Characters


From left to right:

  1. Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar (VM)
  2. Zeiss Planar 50/2 (ZM)
  3. Voigtlander 55/1.4 SLII-S (VF)
  4. Sigma Art 50/1.4 DG HSM F-mount (SF)


Something I'm interested in understanding is the tradeoffs in image quality as lens complexity rises. Note the rising complexity and size in this lineup (# elements / # groups).


  1. VM (5/3)
  2. ZM (6/4)
  3. VF (7/6)
  4. SF (13/8)


How much color and contrast ("microcontrast") is lost as the number of elements and optical groups rises? Can the color and contrast be recovered in post-processing? Is there some magic "dimensionality" that is absorbed by lens complexity?

I'll structure my comparison like Fred's reviews with links to sections as the analysis expands.


  1. Landscape comparison - Zeiss Planar 50/2 vs. Voigtlander 55/1.4 SLII-S vs. Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar




Aug 27, 2026 at 12:48 AM





  Previous versions of asdfghreturns's message #17096105 « Comparing Zeiss Planar 50mm F2 »