p.10 #1 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
Nielk Mike wrote:
Don't think it is just a software issue - or Fuji would have fixed it by now. After all it is been around since their very first cameras. Looks more like a software/hardware issue and that fixing it requires hardware changes that could lead to incompatibilities with older hardware.
I agree it isn't just a software issue but there are a whole bunch of ways in which AF could be improved and some of these may be software and some perhaps a combination of hardware and software.
Different photographers would give differing priorities for fixing each AF concern.
Examples that have been reported:
- beyond infinity focus
- the tendency during subject detection to focus on a prominent object rather than the identified subject. The classic example is where the camera detects on animal's eye but focuses on the nose
- the way the camera makes you choose between types of subject (eg. human, bird, other animal) rather than a generic eye detection algorithm
- differing accuracy using different cameras and different lenses
- the confusing and over complicated AF-C custom settings
p.10 #4 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
Hello, I use an X-H2S/XF 150-600 for both video and stills of birds. The autofocus is generally capable for stills and just OK for video with frequent drops in autofocus. I have watched Jan Wegner, Scott Perry, Mark Dumbleton, and Scott Keys videos regarding camera set-ups for Canon, Sony, and Nikon. While all of these cameras have better AF than does the X-H2S, the common thread for all of these cameras they allow for 2 or 3 back button focus set-ups. This allows flexibility for different and quickly changing situations. With the X-H2S, there is only one button available for back button focus. If you want to make changes to autofocus this requires menu diving. Menu diving is not desirable because it takes to much time and situations evaporate. So, if FujiFilm wants to play the fast action, sports, wildlife game they are not only going to significantly improved autofocus, but they are going to need more buttons on the back of these cameras for improved flexibility. They are also going to need improved IBIS for video, Attempting video for birds at 60 FPS is almost unusable as the video clips stutter whenever you move the camera.
p.10 #5 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
jwpstl wrote:
Have there been any rumors of an X-H3? Id like to try a Fuji and have my eye on a used X-H2 but might wait if there’s going to be an update.
You never know until you know, but my suspicion is that these updates (XT3 and XH3) will be relatively tame compared to the previous version. The sensor resolution isn’t likely to go much higher than 40MP if it changes at all. My _hunch_ is we’re going to see rather incremental updates this time.
p.10 #6 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
I would like to see the X-T6 adopt the body material/anodizing techniques of the X100V/VI, X-E5 and GFX100RF. The silver finish on those cameras looks stellar; the X-T5 looks and feels extremely cheap by comparison.
p.10 #9 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
nightnight wrote:
I would like to see the X-T6 adopt the body material/anodizing techniques of the X100V/VI, X-E5 and GFX100RF. The silver finish on those cameras looks stellar; the X-T5 looks and feels extremely cheap by comparison.
Hmmm… I don’t feel that way about my XT5 at all. I have, and like, the black model.
It has been banging around in all kinds of little packs (it is my daily always-with-me camera), its is my street photography camera, its been in the Sierra backcountry a few times, shot a bunch with it in Death Valley and the Eastern Sierra, and it has been with me on a total of about 36+ weeks of overseas travel, plus a bunch of travel in the US.
It has been a solid camera, and doesn’t show more than the usual amount of wear for a camera used that way.
Though if I’m right about about the XT6 likely being an incremental update, it is possible that Fujifilm marketing will try to make it more exciting by calling the development/manufacturing arm to do some cosmetic stuff.
p.10 #11 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
gyoung143 wrote:
No problem with my black Xt5, looks and feels similar to the Xt3 and Xpro2. No sign of wear on any of them.
Gerry
I have a _little_ bit of wear in the expected places, but that’s exactly what we expect with a heavily used (and occasionally abused) camera. :-)
To folks reading ths stuff, who you gonna’ believe? Someone who had one for a short time and decided they didn’t like the way it looked? Or people who have actually used and abused the thing for a few years?
p.10 #12 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
Certainly don't want to discount anyone else's opinions or experiences. As an owner of a black X100V, my only point is that there is a difference between the two finishes (black X-T5 vs black X100, silver vs. silver even moreso) that is immediately obvious, and I'm glad that Fuji seems to be "upgrading" the finishing/anodizing quality on their most recent models. My friend's X-T5 is basically falling apart (wobbly screen, loose shutter button, silver finish coming off everywhere), and the overall lack of robustness -- even if it's purely perceptual and not at all functional -- is a common complaint across reviews.
Again, this is a problem seemingly being addressed, as the more-budget-conscious X-E5 has seen a considerable improvement in fit and finish. I hope it carries over to the X-T6, and expect that it will, albeit with a price hike that we all know is coming.
p.10 #13 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
There may be some disagreement about the durability of the black finish, but I imagine most of us would agree that the silver finish is far more prone to showing scratches, scuffs, and dings than either of the black versions.
p.10 #14 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
George Komiotis wrote:
There may be some disagreement about the durability of the black finish, but I imagine most of us would agree that the silver finish is far more prone to showing scratches, scuffs, and dings than either of the black versions.
Have 2 Silver X bodies, an X-T5 purchased a year ago and a X-E5 that is 4 months old. Camera body wear and tear can be mitigated by a little "preventative maintenance", i.e. for me it's a $40 1/2 black leather case from Smallrig on each body since the 1st week, see photo below. While the leather case doesn't protect the top plates, it does make the camera easier to grip and protects the bottom and 4 sides. The X-T5 shows no sign of any finish wear at all. Same for the X-E5, but it's been used a lot less.
Been using mainly the X-T5 with the 2 Voigtlander MF lenses and the XF 35 f1.4 as my daily carry in a PD 3L Sling bag while on my trip to Thailand, in my 10th and final week now. The X-T5 has been just terrific, it's my first Fuji body and I like it better than either of my 2 Sony FF 61MP bodies The X-E5 I bought as a 2nd body backup and I am a bit meh about it, really dislike the lack of a ISO dial and the sub par EVF compared to the X-T5, so I am waiting to see what the X-4 Pro brings before selling it.
Edit: The X-T5 has a couple of TINY nicks at the top plate and front face near the Shutter Button and FN1 button. That is due to the camera hitting some concrete a few months ago, and not the finish wearing off.
p.10 #15 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
SpecFoto wrote:
Been using mainly the X-T5 with the 2 Voigtlander MF lenses and the XF 35 f1.4 as my daily carry in a PD 3L Sling bag while on my trip to Thailand, in my 10th and final week now. The X-T5 has been just terrific, it's my first Fuji body and I like it better than either of my 2 Sony FF 61MP bodies
Your experience with the XT5 for travel mirrors mine. I've used mine. If I'm not mistaken, thesis ht fourth year I've used it — for many things (mainly street photography) and not just travel.
I don't use a case. (I am not generally one to accessorize cameras.) I typically cram it into one or another bag — a PD bag for around town everyday use, and one or another non-photography small shoulder bag for international travel and domestic travel to cities Internationally, I think I've used it for something like 36-40 weeks on the road, plus a bunch of trips in the US —SoCal, New York (many times), Chicago, etc. When out and about I often take it out of the bag and hold it in hand with a wrist strap attached.
It has been rock solid for me. My only "complaints" are very minor nits — I had to retrain myself to not accidentally move the focus area, once or twice I've accidentally moved the dial from the single shot position to the burst position. But that's minor stuff.
My primary street photo lens on the thing is the Fujifilm 27mm f/2.8 (later version with the aperture ring). I also usually carry the 14mm f/2.8 and the 50mm f/2 for travel. The thing is quite small with the 27mm attached.
I shot the XPro2 before I got the XT5, and I like the XT5 better. I'm completely uninterested in the XPro concept at this point after shooting the XT5. (The XPro was a brilliant design when it came out, but the necessity for what it offered than has pretty much gone away today.)
p.10 #16 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
If I had my druthers, and could only choose one improvement I'd like to see in the X-T6, I'd rather see Fuji finally dump the x-trans sensor in favor of a Bayer sensor. Heck, market it as "based on state-of-the-art GFX sensor technology." Will it happen? I highly doubt it...
p.10 #17 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
QuantumTarsus wrote:
If I had my druthers, and could only choose one improvement I'd like to see in the X-T6, I'd rather see Fuji finally dump the x-trans sensor in favor of a Bayer sensor. Heck, market it as "based on state-of-the-art GFX sensor technology." Will it happen? I highly doubt it...
Hey, that sounds like an idea I’ve heard somewhere else. Can’t quite place it… ;-)
p.10 #19 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
QuantumTarsus wrote:
Is that a suggestion you made earlier in this post? I haven't read all 10 pages.
Not sure if I made it in this thread, but I've been saying that in various fora for years now. :-)
The x-trans array made sense a decade ago when almost no one had experience with sensors that lacked AA filtering... and we were worried about aliasing/moire on those sensors. Fujifilm's claim that it addressed this concern was reassuring.
But the reality is that it doesn't make a meaningful difference. No one else uses it and they don't have moire issues that are resolved by x-trans. As you are obviously aware, even Fujifilm is fine with Bayer arrays on their miniMF cameras.
I've made the same suggestion, more or less, as to how the marketing department could frame this if they ever get around to making this change: "Fujifilm is introducing new Bayer sensors in their best-in-class APS-C cameras, bringing the same outstanding imaging technologies found in their professional GFX systems to these cameras."
p.10 #20 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.
gdanmitchell wrote:
Not sure if I made it in this thread, but I've been saying that in various fora for years now. :-)
The x-trans array made sense a decade ago when almost no one had experience with sensors that lacked AA filtering... and we were worried about aliasing/moire on those sensors. Fujifilm's claim that it addressed this concern was reassuring.
But the reality is that it doesn't make a meaningful difference. No one else uses it and they don't have moire issues that are resolved by x-trans. As you are obviously aware, even Fujifilm is fine with Bayer arrays on their mini MF cameras.
I've made the same suggestion, more or less, as to how the marketing department could frame this if they ever get around to making this change: "Fujifilm is introducing new Bayer sensors in their best-in-class APS-C cameras, bringing the same outstanding imaging technologies found in their professional GFX systems to these cameras."...Show more →
Perhaps I read one of your comments at some point in the past and it just cemented itself in my brain without remembering the attribution.