fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       …       13       14       end
  

Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.

  
 
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
But to be a useful source of ideas, communication and reasons are required even if arrogantly presented. A simple put down, or statement of opinion as of 'fact' isn't useful to gain any respect for an idea.
A is better than B without qualification, or C "sucks' doesn't convey enough context to earn respect. Simply earns a reputation as opinionated and unreasonable. IMHO of course!


Again, I don't disagree! But regardless of respect, there can still be relevant data gleaned. Again, my advice is look for the jewels scattered about and ignore the detritus they're buried in...



May 14, 2026 at 01:57 PM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #2 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Bruce Marriner wrote:
I'm pretty new here, maybe a couple months or so of casually reading forums and just started trying to post photos. I'm hardly a professional but I've been using cameras for about 26 years and have used a lot of different brands.

In my short time here, every single post I've seen from him has been what I'd call "incredibly toxic". Sometimes what he says may be accurate but I think often it's also substantially blown out of proportion - but 100% of it could be said without being a massive jerk to everybody. I'm baffled why anyone would want
...Show more →

Like any forum, it's possible to put someone on 'ignore', so you don't see their posts, unfortunately that often just means you are scratching your head wondering what everyone is on about!

Gerry



May 14, 2026 at 02:10 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


If you gather enough snowflakes in one place, do they become a snowball?

I direct the snowballs to my bio

And Bruce, if you think this thread is bad, you haven't seen a thing yet, welcome to FM!



May 14, 2026 at 02:18 PM
mdude85
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #4 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Bruce Marriner wrote:
I'm pretty new here, maybe a couple months or so of casually reading forums and just started trying to post photos. I'm hardly a professional but I've been using cameras for about 26 years and have used a lot of different brands.

In my short time here, every single post I've seen from him has been what I'd call "incredibly toxic". Sometimes what he says may be accurate but I think often it's also substantially blown out of proportion - but 100% of it could be said without being a massive jerk to everybody. I'm baffled why anyone would want
...Show more →

A few (two or three) members constantly bicker with each other about the inanest things, and in their unending quest for attention, end up debasing the very conversations they sought to cultivate.

Much respect to Fred and others for helping me, though the forums, to learn so much about photography, but this isn't the same community it once was.



May 14, 2026 at 02:40 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #5 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


As if to reinforce the point…

Also, that’s longer than one sentence. (As is this .) :-)

And each time you do this we “learn something:”Just not about photography.



May 14, 2026 at 04:05 PM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #6 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


I challenge @Jack Flesher to find anything of value in that, except to reinforce a judgement of attitude and character.


May 14, 2026 at 04:24 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #7 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gyoung143 wrote:
I challenge @Jack Flesher@ to find anything of value in that, except to reinforce a judgement of attitude and character.


There isn’t. But I never said “everything” posted had good information. I said one needs to learn glean what’s relevant for themselves.



May 14, 2026 at 05:18 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #8 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Jack Flesher wrote:
There isn’t. But I never said “everything” posted had good information. I said one needs to learn glean what’s relevant for themselves.


Jack, that kind of supports my point, in a couple of ways.

First, when a post is purely one-liners, insults, and ad hominem, there’s nothing to “learn” regarding photography.

And when the post buries the “information” in a flurry of that stuff, it is quite literally “noise” (in the technical information theory sense) that overwhelms the actuall “message.” In general, the addition of the “other stuff” only diminishes the value of the information. The equivalent would be burying the photographic information in a post that also contained excerpts from recipes, airline schedules, and recent news from Argentina. ;-)

Edited on May 31, 2026 at 12:30 AM · View previous versions



May 16, 2026 at 11:04 AM
morris
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #9 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


You should be comparing bodies of the same level and you did not state what Sony. The X-H2s focuses fast and tracks well.

Morris



May 16, 2026 at 05:42 PM
FishheadLens
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #10 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Has there been a history of firmware updates to upgrade the autofocus performance? Or is it because hardware is insufficient?


May 30, 2026 at 03:18 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #11 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


FishheadLens wrote:
Has there been a history of firmware updates to upgrade the autofocus performance? Or is it because hardware is insufficient?


There's been a history of firmware updates that makes AF worse.



May 30, 2026 at 03:20 PM
FishheadLens
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #12 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


haha so the other way around! maybe I shouldn't update...


May 30, 2026 at 03:25 PM
nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #13 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Disappointing there are not more rumors about XT6 at this point.


Jul 12, 2026 at 08:21 AM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #14 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


There have been a ton so far.

Still 40mp
Next gen processor
Newer/bigger 2550 mAh battery
8k video
"AI autofocus"
New film sim
Reworked dials

50-140 II launching along side it



Jul 12, 2026 at 08:33 AM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #15 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Sure hope "AI Autofocus" means no more "beyond infinity focus" and more consistency in AF-S. But I won't hold my breath.


Jul 12, 2026 at 09:40 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #16 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


nhsonyshooter wrote:
Disappointing there are not more rumors about XT6 at this point.


It is still pretty early.

- - -

FishheadLens wrote:
Has there been a history of firmware updates to upgrade the autofocus performance? Or is it because hardware is insufficient?


There was one that reportedly did make AF worse in some situations, and it took Fujifilm a long time to restore that. Other, more numerous updates over the last dozen or so years have improved AF capabilities in various Fujifilm cameras.

I don’t think anyone outside of Fujifilm has ever definitively explained the weaknesses in Fujifilm AF. One theory that I’ve heard is that they don’t have the same resources to invest in software development that Sony and Canon have. (And, of course, that means that there is potentially less advanced software/hardware interaction.)

To be fair, Fujifilm AF is not “awful.” It simply isn’t quite as good as that in the best cameras from the Big Three manufacturers. Most users aren’t going to have any issues with it. On the other hand, if you are specifically buying a camera to photograph subjects that depend on industry-leading AF you may want to look elsewhere.



Jul 12, 2026 at 10:52 AM
George Komiotis
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #17 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


Is the general consensus still that the new model will be unveiled around September?


Jul 12, 2026 at 08:17 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #18 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


George Komiotis wrote:
Is the general consensus still that the new model will be unveiled around September?


October announcement it sounds like.



Jul 12, 2026 at 08:51 PM
tuomkok
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #19 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


gdanmitchell wrote:
It is still pretty early.

- - -

There was one that reportedly did make AF worse in some situations, and it took Fujifilm a long time to restore that. Other, more numerous updates over the last dozen or so years have improved AF capabilities in various Fujifilm cameras.

I don’t think anyone outside of Fujifilm has ever definitively explained the weaknesses in Fujifilm AF. One theory that I’ve heard is that they don’t have the same resources to invest in software development that Sony and Canon have. (And, of course, that means that there is potentially less advanced software/hardware interaction.)

To be fair,
...Show more →

First Nikon Z-mount cameras had pretty awful AF. Since that Nikon AF has become almost as good as Sony (I have no experience on Canon). Anyway Nikon, and especially Z9, is a good example of how AF can be improved via firmware updates.

I agree that software is the key factor in AF. Maybe it is also a matter of priorities. Fujifilm seems to emphasize styling, image quality, film simulations - and also new camera concepts.



Jul 13, 2026 at 03:14 AM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #20 · Will XT6 finally catch up to Sony, Canon and Nikon with AF.


tuomkok wrote:
First Nikon Z-mount cameras had pretty awful AF. Since that Nikon AF has become almost as good as Sony (I have no experience on Canon). Anyway Nikon, and especially Z9, is a good example of how AF can be improved via firmware updates.

I agree that software is the key factor in AF. Maybe it is also a matter of priorities. Fujifilm seems to emphasize styling, image quality, film simulations - and also new camera concepts.


Don't think it is just a software issue - or Fuji would have fixed it by now. After all it is been around since their very first cameras. Looks more like a software/hardware issue and that fixing it requires hardware changes that could lead to incompatibilities with older hardware.



Jul 13, 2026 at 03:59 AM
1       2       3       …       8              10       …       13       14       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       …       13       14       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account