p.55 #4 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
Some of our Kayaking Adventures, present and past. If you look you can see the loons I was getting some footage on our recent trip.Rylee makes a special guest appearance who is no longer with us, but forever in our hearts.
p.55 #5 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
Amazing video Rob, really well done. Couldn’t believe she didn’t bark at the loon, and the loon didn’t seem to pay ant attention to her. I need to eat what she eats she doesn’t stop.
p.55 #6 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
RobAmy wrote:
Some of our Kayaking Adventures, present and past. If you look you can see the loons I was getting some footage on our recent trip.Rylee makes a special guest appearance who is no longer with us, but forever in our hearts.
Thanks for sharing, an very enjoyable video, reminded me of times past (not kayaking but Nala loved the water) that I spent with Nala when she was with me many years ago.
As I watched I was wondering if Rylee would make an appearance. Sorry to hear Rylee is no longer with you.
p.55 #7 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
RobAmy wrote:
Some of our Kayaking Adventures, present and past. If you look you can see the loons I was getting some footage on our recent trip.Rylee makes a special guest appearance who is no longer with us, but forever in our hearts.
Nicely done, Rob!
Looks like a very enjoyable time for your family. Excellent in every way.
Dave
p.55 #8 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
RobAmy wrote:
Some of our Kayaking Adventures, present and past. If you look you can see the loons I was getting some footage on our recent trip.Rylee makes a special guest appearance who is no longer with us, but forever in our hearts.
Lovely video, Rob. Full of joy! Love the song!
Cheers,
Rudy
p.55 #9 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
Spent some wonderful time on the kayak getting some footage of loons. All footage was handheld with the Canon R1 and the RF 400mm f2.8 + 2x. All sound was recorded with the DJI Mic 3. Kenzie my assistant was on the kayak also for all the outings.
p.55 #10 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
RobAmy wrote:
Spent some wonderful time on the kayak getting some footage of loons. All footage was handheld with the Canon R1 and the RF 400mm f2.8 + 2x. All sound was recorded with the DJI Mic 3. Kenzie my assistant was on the kayak also for all the outings.
p.55 #11 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
RobAmy wrote:
Spent some wonderful time on the kayak getting some footage of loons. All footage was handheld with the Canon R1 and the RF 400mm f2.8 + 2x. All sound was recorded with the DJI Mic 3. Kenzie my assistant was on the kayak also for all the outings.
p.55 #12 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
RobAmy wrote:
Spent some wonderful time on the kayak getting some footage of loons. All footage was handheld with the Canon R1 and the RF 400mm f2.8 + 2x. All sound was recorded with the DJI Mic 3. Kenzie my assistant was on the kayak also for all the outings.
Exceptional video and audio, Rob! Super well done!
Cheers.
Rudy
p.55 #13 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
Thank you all for the comments. Much appreciated. It was a fun trip for sure. It was the first time I seen loons feeding the loonlet. Getting it on video was a bonus.
p.55 #14 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
Shooting RAW with my R5II, I rarely shoot still images in 1.6 crop mode because it only records 5088x3392 pixels from the center of the 8192x5464 sensor, and I can always crop later in Lightroom. I do occasionally find it useful just for viewing something far away without capturing an image. Today, however, for a test, I captured the same subject in FULL mode and in 1.6 crop mode, and discovered I can tell I was in crop mode if the "Canon:Aspect Ratio" metadata field says "3:2 (APS-C crop)" instead of just "3:2" (of course I can also look at the image size).
Triggered by a YouTube recommendation, I recently started using 1.6 crop mode occasionally when capturing video, where, since I'm shooting 4K (UHD), it doesn't have the downside of reducing resolution. Today I did a similar test of capturing a short video of the same subject with 1.6 crop turned off and on. Since the video resolution is 3480x2160 in both videos, I can't use that to determine if 1.6 crop was turned on. I dumped out the metadata from both videos into text files using ExifTool, and comparing the text files, I can't find an "Aspect Ratio" field or any other field that clearly tells me if 1.6 crop was turned on.
Does anyone know of a metadata field in Canon R5II video MP4 files that will let me know if the video was captured with 1.6 crop turned off or on?
p.55 #15 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
vbnut wrote:
Does anyone know of a metadata field in Canon R5II video MP4 files that will let me know if the video was captured with 1.6 crop turned off or on?
I don't. Do you use lightroom? The data there has a field that shows 35mm equivalent (on videos in catalog). That "might" let you know if you are using a long lens. It would show 640 perhaps on a 400mm lens.
Dave
p.55 #16 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
dj63401 wrote:
I don't. Do you use lightroom? The data there has a field that shows 35mm equivalent (on videos in catalog). That "might" let you know if you are using a long lens. It would show 640 perhaps on a 400mm lens.
Dave
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I do use Lightroom Classic, so I imported the test images and videos I mentioned and switched the Metadata panel to show All Possible Items, but I don't see any fields that show 800 (I shot the images and videos with the 100-500 zoomed to 500). What specific metadata field were you referring to?
p.55 #17 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
vbnut wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I do use Lightroom Classic, so I imported the test images and videos I mentioned and switched the Metadata panel to show All Possible Items, but I don't see any fields that show 800 (I shot the images and videos with the 100-500 zoomed to 500). What specific metadata field were you referring to?
In the Library, on the right panel towards the bottom is metadata and on bottom of that is customize. On field is Focal Length 35 mm. I don't know if that would show different if you were in crop mode or using a tele-extender.
I have no crop mode files handy to check myself.
p.55 #18 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
dj63401 wrote:
In the Library, on the right panel towards the bottom is metadata and on bottom of that is customize. On field is Focal Length 35 mm. I don't know if that would show different if you were in crop mode or using a tele-extender.
I have no crop mode files handy to check myself.
While the Focal Length field does change when I add a teleconverter, it unfortunately doesn't change when I turn on 1.x crop mode.
p.55 #19 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
dj63401 wrote:
vbnut,
Please post your thoughts on the Canon DM-E1D mic after you get a chance to use it some.
Thanks,
Dave
This reply is long overdue. For various reasons I wasn't shooting much video, especially using the DM-E1D mic until early this year. Overall, I am happy with it, but to be fair I have nothing to compare it with except the R5II internal mic. As I hoped, it is small enough that once I found a case for it (this works perfectly after cutting the foam a bit, and the dead cat fits in the zipper compartment) I always bring it with me along with my camera and lens(es) unless I am certain I won't shoot video. I also found that even if I don't capture any interesting audio, it (in shotgun mode) avoids capturing my breathing or sounds I make manipulating the camera and controls.
Here is a very short clip of a cooing mourning dove on the roof the house next door using the DM-E1D in shotgun mode. It is straight out of the camera and unprocessed. The camera says the dove was 22.7 meters (about 75 feet) away. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the mic capture the cooing, as I could barely hear it myself: