p.57 #1 · Canon video thread for hybrid shooters...
Do folks have Movie Servo AF turned on or off on the R5 and R5 Mark II, and why did you set it that way?
FWIW, the R5 Mark II Advanced User Guide describes Movie Servo AF as follows: With this function enabled, the camera keeps focusing on the subject during movie recording.
describes the Enable setting as The camera focuses on the subject continuously even when you are not pressing the shutter button halfway.
and the Disable setting as Pressing the <AF-ON> button focuses using your specified AF area.
I use back-button focus in stills mode, so pressing the shutter button halfway starts metering, but doesn't start autofocus. I find it useful to be able to control when the camera focuses independint of when I capture images. It's unclear to me whether that custom button setting also applies to movie mode.
I mostly shoot both stills and movies handheld. When shooting handheld, pressing the <AF-ON> button to focus works fine, but I learned that when shooting movies using a heavier lens, I can't hold the camera still enough, so I've started using a monopod or tripod for that situation. When using a tripod, I'm thinking I don't want to have to press the <AF-ON> button to focus, because it could cause camera shake.