New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              20       21       end

Canon r1 official announcement.

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon r1 official announcement.

"Enhanced dynamic range, better than EOS R3 and EOS R5"

Is a very weird statement to put in a spec list. That can't be official verbiage from Canon USA, at least not one meant for inclusion on a product listing. Internal note I can see...

May 15, 2024 at 07:11 PM
ronno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon r1 official announcement.

snapsy wrote:

Is a very weird statement to put in a spec list. That can't be official verbiage from Canon USA, at least not one meant for inclusion on a product listing. Internal note I can see...

Indeed.
But if true, itís good.
Now I just want the R5II to have better DR than the R5 - particularly with *video*, it is several stops behind the competition in terms of video D.R. .

May 15, 2024 at 07:42 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon r1 official announcement.

snapsy wrote:

Maybe someone is playing a big belated April fools joke on us after all....maybe their intention is to get everyone bummed out on being 30MP, and then surprise us when it's released with an actual 45MP.

May 15, 2024 at 07:52 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Iím guessing someone at Adorama is going to get a talking to in the morning.

May 15, 2024 at 08:08 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Personally the R3 is awesome for my needs, no issue with 24MP over the years I have used them. So to improve on it plus a bump to 30MP I am good with. I never looked back selling my R5's.

May 15, 2024 at 08:12 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Aaaaaand...just like Houdini - that spec sheet has disappeared from Adorama.
Which PROVES that the info is either true, *OR* 100% B.S. ;-)

Still, someone at Adorama may be updating their resume tomorrow.

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 08:17 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 08:15 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon r1 official announcement.

This was the January CR rumour post....

Look familiar?

I think that Adorama leak was BS or else that Jan rumour was spot on.
But I call BS as look at the exact verbiage of the DR line that snapsy pointed out as odd

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 08:21 PM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 08:17 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon r1 official announcement.

arbitrage wrote:
This was the January CR rumour post....

Look familiar?

I think that Adorama leak was BS or else that Jan rumour was spot on.
But I call BS as look at the exact verbiage of the DR line that snapsy pointed out as odd

Totally does - and WHY would Adorama email these specs out to their customers, and post it on their site
Time will tell.

May 15, 2024 at 08:20 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Is the "In-camera depth of field stack RAW" a new feature, or have we seen that before (specifically RAW stacks)?

May 15, 2024 at 09:02 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Canon Rumors guy is claiming it's legit...

May 15, 2024 at 09:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon r1 official announcement.

ronno wrote:
Canon Rumors guy is claiming it's legit...

Where are you seeing that? I checked CR and no new posts. I checked the Forum threads on CR and no posts from CR on those threads. I checked X and no new posts. I must be missing it.

May 15, 2024 at 10:06 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon r1 official announcement.

arbitrage - I have lost track of where it was, and now I am on my way to a bar too see a band play.
Anyway it's all rumors upon rumors until Canon sends the spec sheet out to the masses.

Cheers.

May 15, 2024 at 10:56 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Canon rumors has been claiming that the R1 is around the corner since early 2023... the whole operation is designed to prevent the faithful from leaving the brand.

If they were to be believed we would have had a 100mp Canon DSLR since 2015.

May 16, 2024 at 12:24 AM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon r1 official announcement.

bernardl wrote:
Canon rumors has been claiming that the R1 is around the corner since early 2023... the whole operation is designed to prevent the faithful from leaving the brand.

If they were to be believed we would have had a 100mp Canon DSLR since 2015.

Canon do make 120 mega pixel sensor but not for consumer cameras, it's for metrology/ inspection and industrial applications. These take special optics suited for the application. The rumor site probably just picked it up from their industrial sensor portfolio and created a bunch of click baits.

https://canon-cmos-sensors.com/canon-120mxs-cmos-sensor/

May 16, 2024 at 01:28 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon r1 official announcement.

speedmaster20d wrote:
Canon do make 120 mega pixel sensor but not for consumer cameras, it's for metrology/ inspection and industrial applications. These take special optics suited for the application. The rumor site probably just picked it up from their industrial sensor portfolio and created a bunch of click baits.

https://canon-cmos-sensors.com/canon-120mxs-cmos-sensor/

Thatís actually a thing with all these imaging companies, the margins are probably much higher in the b-to-b markets. Itís probably why Zeiss is silent on the consumer market, itís why Olympus ditched its camera division and may be why other companies may leave the consumer market.

May 16, 2024 at 06:21 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon r1 official announcement.

robert_in_ca wrote:
True but that was over 20 years ago and Canon's moved away from doing that sort of product model releasing. Clearly anything is possible, but I seriously doubt Canon will offer variants of the R1.

Aykchually, less than 20 years ago. I just commented on the word "always". For about a decade, it was not. And yes, I also think that anything is possible, and there is a precedent.

But personally, I don't care that much. I want to use mostly EF lenses still, that might not be good idea with R5-high-rez RF cameras, so I'll be flying the low-rez bodies like R6/2 for some time, that also won't cost me an arm and a leg.

May 16, 2024 at 07:03 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Product manufacturer's, weather photographic, automotive, or anything else, produce differing models with differing capabilities, prioritized to suit differing needs.

My guess is that for most FM memberís photography is a hobby, rather than a primary source of income, and it seems many are obsessed with the notion that mega MP resolution should be the cardinal, essential benchmark of the ďtop of the lineĒ, $$$ camera model, even if it compromises other performance parameters, just to suit them.

While Pro sports photographers are not necessarily opposed to higher resolution, they donít place it in a position of ultimate, primary importance to the degree of compromising reliability, speed, AF accuracy, or DR low light capability.

Thereís a reason that the camera bodies behind the ďbig whiteĒ lenses, at pro games were 20.1 MP 1DX-3ís as opposed to 30.4 MP 5D-4's, or 24 MP R-3ís rather than 45MP R-5's.

May 16, 2024 at 10:30 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon r1 official announcement.

Sy Sez wrote:
Thereís a reason that the camera bodies behind the ďbig whiteĒ lenses, at pro games were 20.1 MP 1DX-3ís as opposed to 30.4 MP 5D-4's, or 24 MP R-3ís rather than 45MP R-5's.

Yes. Because there was no 45MP version of a rugged, fast body.

May 16, 2024 at 10:32 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon r1 official announcement.

The reason is that the sport photographer can easily fill the frame with his subjects.. And the 1dx was basically a sport&photojournalism body to begin with.

May 16, 2024 at 12:03 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon r1 official announcement.

stanj wrote:
Yes. Because there was no 45MP version of a rugged, fast body.

Precisely, as they lacked the ability to produce a "45MP version of a rugged, fast body" to their ultimate satisfaction, and apparently, that's still the case.

May 16, 2024 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.