New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9              11       12       end

Official: Leica SL3 Released!

stgrove
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

I used my M 18mm f3.8 on my M11 and SL3 with same scene. I am not a pixel peeper, but to me I got no smearing in the far corners on the SL3 versus the M11.

Mar 25, 2024 at 07:53 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

stgrove wrote:
I used my M 18mm f3.8 on my M11 and SL3 with same scene. I am not a pixel peeper, but to me I got no smearing in the far corners on the SL3 versus the M11.

That is interesting. Thank you for the follow up. I think that 18mm lens is probably a corner torture test even for rangefinder cameras. I wonder how much the BSI sensor in both M11 and SL3 also contributes to your finding along with the microlenses and thin cover glass of course.

Mar 25, 2024 at 08:17 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

LBJ2 wrote:
More importantly, and as David said in his response, the SL cameras to include the new SL3 remain the second-best cameras to use M lenses outside of Leica rangefinder cameras.

+1 Understood.

Mar 25, 2024 at 08:29 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

LBJ2 wrote:
That is interesting. Thank you for the follow up. I think that 18mm lens is probably a corner torture test even for rangefinder cameras. I wonder how much the BSI sensor in both M11 and SL3 also contributes to your finding along with the microlenses and thin cover glass of course.

Your questions are beyond my capabilities. That said I use my gear and when it does not perform to my liking, I return or sell it.

I also shot the same scene with my Q3, even though a 28mm instead of an 18mm just to see if there are great differences in rendering and colors between all 3 cameras. All 3 looked the same to me even though I did notice while looking at image profile names in C1 that C1 has yet to come up with their "ProStandard" specific profile for the SL3. Both the M11 and Q3 have their specific "ProStandard" profiles, but not the SL3 yet. Not sure how that will impact my files, but I will see once C1 updates that specific camera profile.

Mar 25, 2024 at 08:31 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Just a quick further thought, even though I have used the SL2S for nearly the past year, I decided not to compare low light performance between the SL2S and the SL3. Once the SL3 FW has implemented multi-shot mode (which I love on the SL2S giving 96MP files) I plan on selling off my SL2S cameras including the SL2S Reporter.

I am glad that the Leica Miami video covered low light noise performance at varying ISO levels. So to me since the SL3 performed extremely well on that subject, it is just another reason to keep the SL3 and obtain a second body at some point which negates much lens changing out in the harsh environments I tend to often venture into. For me no lens changing requires 3 bodies and at this point that could be considered overkill to the nth degree.

Unless something miraculous comes in future SL, M or Q models, I am pleased to have all 3 Leica cameras with the same base sensor even though each camera is tweaked differently in order to optimize its 60MP sensor. Chasing the MP evolution upward and upward has its limitations for me at this point in my 60 years of photography. Yes, I am an old fart, but photography keeps me young.

No longer upgrading will bump me off the Leica first choice list, but that is OK as it leaves room for others to chase new product. Even if I do not use my cameras to their fullest, I love using my gear at new locations. My only regret is that I often drive-fly-drive 10-12 hours to destinations and as such I am reticent to take tons of B&W film along with my M6's which are a joy to use (with old lenses and Ilford or Eastman 5222 film) and reminds me of my photography beginnings when B&W was basically the norm. That is why I have the M11M since it can go anywhere.

Mar 25, 2024 at 08:59 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

stgrove wrote:
Just a quick further thought, even though I have used the SL2S for nearly the past year, I decided not to compare low light performance between the SL2S and the SL3. Once the SL3 FW has implemented multi-shot mode (which I love on the SL2S giving 96MP files) I plan on selling off my SL2S cameras including the SL2S Reporter.

I am glad that the Leica Miami video covered low light noise performance at varying ISO levels. So to me since the SL3 performed extremely well on that subject, it is just another reason to keep the SL3 and obtain a
...Show more

" I am pleased to have all 3 Leica cameras with the same base sensor "

I agree.. .Now with the M11 60 MP sensor in the SL3, Viola--SL APO primes on the M11 sensor. *Respective caveats of course

Pairing the M11 + SL2 and swapping M lenses has been a great user and IQ experience and for me. But, I've always wanted to use my Leica SL APO primes on the M11 too . Ha Ha. The SL3 elevates this experience to allow for my wish of swapping M and SL APO primes between the two cameras 😎 ( sort of)

Mar 25, 2024 at 09:17 AM
cborel83

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

I had the pleasure of using this camera at an Akadmie class in brooklyn a month ago. I still prefer my M11

Mar 31, 2024 at 08:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Anyone else getting file corruption with the new SL3?

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2024/20240404_0700-LeicaSL3-CorruptFiles-again.html

Apr 04, 2024 at 04:49 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:

No and as a matter of fact I seldom read his rants anymore, but when I do I just am so tired of he and "Roy" (is pseudo friend") having problems with just about everything they pick up.

Have shot hundreds so far with no problems like he discusses. Actually no problems at all. The more I think about it, his findings are mainly click bait anymore.

Apr 04, 2024 at 05:06 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:

There were two instances on another forum, one got resolved by using a different card; no update from another user. Appears like isolated cases.

Apr 04, 2024 at 05:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:

Nope. 2 bodies. Both rock solid. I have over 4000 frames on the first one so I think it's fine. Lexar 512GB cards in both (CFE) plus have tested with a lexar SD in the 2nd slot. Haven't made it fail yet.

Gordon

Apr 04, 2024 at 08:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

That's great news. I'm thinking about the SL3 but have not yet decided if I really need one.

Apr 04, 2024 at 08:16 PM
MEDISN
• •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:

Nearing 2500 frames in Lightroom with zero corrupted. Many bursts with AF-C and I do not experience front focusing that Lloyd complains of either.

Apr 06, 2024 at 12:35 AM
teiki arii
• • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Hi everyone,
is SL3 only sRGB?

Apr 06, 2024 at 05:49 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

teiki arii wrote:
Hi everyone,
is SL3 only sRGB?

Yes. For JPEG files, sRGB only.

As usual, color space preference is set in the raw editor for DNG/RAW files.

Apr 06, 2024 at 08:43 AM
teiki arii
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

LBJ2 wrote:
Yes. For JPEG files, sRGB only.

As usual, color space preference is set in the raw editor for DNG/RAW files.

So, it still is Adobe RVB for DNG/RAW files?
Thank you for answering.

Apr 06, 2024 at 08:57 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

teiki arii wrote:
Thank you for answering.

Yes. sRGB-only, only applies to the SL3 JPEG files. For DNG/RAW files, color space preference e.g. sRGB or Adobe RGB is set in the raw editor.

Apr 06, 2024 at 09:03 AM
Goodrich
• •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's great news. I'm thinking about the SL3 but have not yet decided if I really need one.

diglloyd must be the unluckiest fuzz tester on the planet. (His Mac tests have a similar character to his camera / lens tests.) I have subscribed to him, but didn't find that he provided me with actionable information. Even his lens tests -- scenes shot at varying apertures, nicely embedded in a web page for easy comparison -- did not seem to show what his text claimed to show, particularly when he was comparing Leica and Zeiss lenses. And after doing half a dozen comparative scenes, there was no conclusion. "If you want ultimate image quality go with a, but be aware that that lens is heavy and suffers from x and y, so b may be a better compromise for your use." After all his testing, he still doesn't tell you whether a lens suffers from field curvature (rather than just being poor in the corners), and he is only interested in sharpness. The fact that his Youtube videos are inaudible, makes you question his competence as well as his luck.

Anyway, I have been fortunate enough not to suffer from image corruption on my SL3 either.

You are right to pause before springing for one. In comparison to the Sony A1 or AR5, the build quality is much better, but the camera is heavier and bulkier. This also applies to the Leica APO lenses that are, in my view, the main reason for sticking with the system. The Sony has the technological edge when it comes to AF, however. The 9Mpx Sony viewfinder is, indeed a bit better, than the Leica's, but the SL3's viewfinder is the same as the SL2's and that was regarded as class-leading in its day. (It certainly isn't milky, as diglloyd seems to claim.). The Leica's Perspective Correction feature is fantastic for city shots, although only Lightroom seems to act on the correction information provided.

If I was contemplating upgrading from the SL2, I'd do so for the image quality, which is the biggest step forward; the pictures are more malleable, too. The other features are less of an improvement in practice than they might appear on paper, at least for still shooting.

That said, the newest Sony lenses are both light and almost as good as the Leica ones. (The GM f1.4 is light and very sharp, but the Leica, which is much heavier, produces more appealing results.). The L-mount brings in some more exotic and some lighter Sigma lenses, as well as a 300g Panasonic 100m macro, which performs above expectations. (But Sigma's L-mount lenses are also available for Sony.). If you shoot M mount lenses, then the SL3 is, presumably better than a Sony; I have not tried much as my lenses are now so expensive to replace I don't take them out as much as I should (and I prefer AF, admittedly).

The other feature that potential buyers should take into account is that Leica seems a bit more adventurous in its firmware development -- it is more likely to add features -- then Sony. Sony cameras perform well, but the software ecosystem is more "corporate". Just check out how many times you have to click to get at Sony's (primitive) software. Sony still doesn't offer firmware upgrading off the card.

Apr 06, 2024 at 01:36 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

teiki arii wrote:
Thank you for answering.

Raw files don't actually have a colour space. It's just a tag that'll be applied on export if you don't change it, like white balance. You're not locked into what you choose in camera.

Your raw processor will have a *working* space. For example Melissa (a RGB modified version of the Profoto space) in Lightroom. You then choose an RGB space on export as a *viewing* space.

Viewing spaces (sRGB etc) are applied to jpegs as they are essentially baked files.

Gordon

Apr 06, 2024 at 04:42 PM
teiki arii
• • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Official: Leica SL3 Released!

LBJ2 wrote:
Yes. sRGB-only, only applies to the SL3 JPEG files. For DNG/RAW files, color space preference e.g. sRGB or Adobe RGB is set in the raw editor.

Thank you LBJ2,
I didn't know that original color space preference was not a definitive issue for RAW files!

flash wrote:
Raw files don't actually have a colour space. It's just a tag that'll be applied on export if you don't change it, like white balance. You're not locked into what you choose in camera.

Your raw processor will have a *working* space. For example Melissa (a RGB modified version of the Profoto space) in Lightroom. You then choose an RGB space on export as a *viewing* space.

Viewing spaces (sRGB etc) are applied to jpegs as they are essentially baked files.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
thank you too for your clear explanations.
So, no one has to worry about anything for RAW files, whatever is the camera...
Waiting for next FF Panasonic 60mp or 30-35Mp camera.

PS: I have to admit that DC-S1R is not so good between 125Iso and 800Iso excluded. I prefer Pentax K-1 RAW files, the unique IBIS OVF camera, in spite of 36Mp, which by far is the best DSLR camera I ever used until today with my Leica-R lenses...

Apr 07, 2024 at 03:41 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.