Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25              27       28       end

Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Companies also rarely have a huge initial production run before release at a new production facility. If there are issues with the production line, you don't find it out until the product is in hands...better to have smaller initial batches so that kinks can be worked out with minimal "recall" type returns.

I'll be honest. The indignation towards Fuji in this thread feels feigned by those posting it. I never see the same sentiments posted about any other brand who slowly ship niche products, Leica especially. It's made worse when these indignant posts are sandwiched in between FM users saying they received their VI It's just a weird, bitter-sounding take that doesn't jive with an understanding of the realities of the market at large, nor the reality of users that are receiving cameras every two weeks in reliable waves.

Apr 12, 2024 at 08:27 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

BPsmith511 wrote:
I think this is an issue more than people give it credit for. To switch production facilities and double capacity for a line is some serious outlay and Fujifilm might not have the available free cash flow to go any further without jeopardizing the business - if they have 4mil on hand (made up number) it isn't a bright idea to spend 3.9m on ramping up a single product line.

They may have only been able to afford to 2x production even while knowing they could have sold 4x if needed.

Yes, that is just speculation as I don't work in this field. Investing in a highly complex item like this is not easy.

I can only speak from the consumer side of things. I'm not so much annoyed by the long waiting list as I am about the marketing of the "limited edition" X100VI, which just seems a bit tacky. But then again it serves as a reminder that Fuji is just a corporation looking to maximize profit and shareholder value.

I think people might be a little more patient with Leica because it's a much smaller company, many of their items are made by hand, it's more of a luxury good, and the consumer base is far more niche. The X100VI was splashed all over the front page of Moment, BH, Adorama, etc, as if it were just another run-of-the-mill drone or updated Sony body, giving the impression that it wouldn't take months to ship.

Edited on Apr 12, 2024 at 08:57 AM · View previous versions

Apr 12, 2024 at 08:52 AM
olegkin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

I imagine the great popularity of this camera is fueled mostly by scarcity. It is not like hordes of photographers cannot make any pictures without it. For Fujifilm, it is a delicate balance between profitability and maintaining an interest to the system.

Apr 12, 2024 at 08:56 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

I can see both sides of this, somewhat. But given the very strange demand for the 100V, Fuji knew there was going to be a very high pent-up demand for this camera; indeed, they moved production to China for this very reason. They should have had more available out of the gate. Just my very humble opinion. (And I was never looking for one, either, as I am A-OK with my V.)

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:34 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

RoamingScott wrote:
Launch is when the camera releases, aka LAUNCHES, you see.

I didn't realize that all demand manifested the second a product launches and not in the following hours, days and months :eyeroll. I guess literally everyone who would ever want this camera pressed "buy" when the add to cart went live.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:29 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Update on my repair: They had been waiting on parts for the repair, which weren't readily available because so new (my guess is new lens or sensor assembly), but they have parts in possession now and is in repair proper. Estimated shipped back early/mid next week. Maybe I'll have it by next Friday! (fingers crossed).

Apr 12, 2024 at 01:23 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Jman13 wrote:
Update on my repair: They had been waiting on parts for the repair, which weren't readily available because so new (my guess is new lens or sensor assembly), but they have parts in possession now and is in repair proper. Estimated shipped back early/mid next week. Maybe I'll have it by next Friday! (fingers crossed).

That's honestly not too bad all things considered, glad it's moving along.

Apr 12, 2024 at 01:26 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

RoamingScott wrote:
That's honestly not too bad all things considered, glad it's moving along.

If it is actually fixed properly, yeah Iíll be happy. Hoping it isnít a hand waved repair. Doesnít sound like it will be, but Iíve heard mixed reviews on camera manufacturer repairs. This is actually the first repair Iíve ever had done in 20 years of shooting.

Apr 12, 2024 at 02:22 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

BPsmith511 wrote:
I think this is an issue more than people give it credit for. To switch production facilities and double capacity for a line is some serious outlay and Fujifilm might not have the available free cash flow to go any further without jeopardizing the business - if they have 4mil on hand (made up number) it isn't a bright idea to spend 3.9m on ramping up a single product line.

They may have only been able to afford to 2x production even while knowing they could have sold 4x if needed.

If Fujifilm is having the latest variant of the X100 coming out of China, it is likely made from a contract manufacturer. Like Apple does with Foxconn and Pegatron. There are bazillions of contract manufacturers in China and it is far cheaper to just hand over the order to them. Fujifilm probably supplies the glass, but the camera assembly is more likely than not by a 3rd party. I've spent over 20 years calling on customers in China (and greater east Asia) visiting all kinds of places where common western products are made. In almost every single case, it's a 3rd party contract manufacturer.

Apr 12, 2024 at 06:03 PM
Nick Dakota
• • •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Did Fuji actually state that they moved production to China to be able to produce more units faster or is that just speculation?

Sharona wrote:
I can see both sides of this, somewhat. But given the very strange demand for the 100V, Fuji knew there was going to be a very high pent-up demand for this camera; indeed, they moved production to China for this very reason. They should have had more available out of the gate. Just my very humble opinion. (And I was never looking for one, either, as I am A-OK with my V.)

Apr 12, 2024 at 07:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

campy
• • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

I think if fuji was going with China production of the !00VI it would have been done before the launch. If you have 2 factories making them then it's a nightmare keeping track of failures and supplying the parts to each factory so there isn't any shutdown due to lack of parts. Not to mention trying to determine if it's a training problem or manufacturing.

Apr 13, 2024 at 09:10 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

campy wrote:
I think if fuji was going with China production of the !00VI it would have been done before the launch. If you have 2 factories making them then it's a nightmare keeping track of failures and supplying the parts to each factory so there isn't any shutdown due to lack of parts. Not to mention trying to determine if it's a training problem or manufacturing.

My understanding was that the X100vi ó†all of them, from the get-go ó†would be produced in China rather than Japan.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:22 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

There is only one production line for VI and itís in China.

campy wrote:

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:13 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Nick Dakota wrote:
Did Fuji actually state that they moved production to China to be able to produce more units faster or is that just speculation?

Actually just based on what others have implied here.

Apr 13, 2024 at 07:50 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Sharona wrote:
Actually just based on what others have implied here.

Capacity out of China is twice as much (unit wise) as it was in Japan. Here's an interview with the Fuji managers where one of them clearly states the move to China vs Japan was to increase capacity.

https://www.fujirumors.com/cined-fujifilm-manager-interview-why-china-x100vi-production-doubled-over-x100v-and-more/

Edited on Apr 14, 2024 at 02:58 AM · View previous versions

Apr 14, 2024 at 02:53 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Nick Dakota wrote:

The were able to double the amount of units made in China vs Japan. Here's an interview with Fuji Managers where they talk about it.

https://www.fujirumors.com/cined-fujifilm-manager-interview-why-china-x100vi-production-doubled-over-x100v-and-more/

Apr 14, 2024 at 02:55 AM
robstein
• • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

So my X100 is developing an issue after a few days... My wife saw it as I unpacked the B&H box and went "OoOo, whaaaat's that?".... She took it out for a walk with the kid's..... She is presently looking at pink hand straps instead of my utilitarian peak design thingi..... I think it's in the process of been confiscated.... Hhhhhelp!

Seriously (above is true btw) - So far it's been surprisingly good although as a non-Fuji guy I gota say the menu organization leaves a bit to be desired. It's certainly a far slower camera but I can see what people like about the experience.

The images so far are solid and I see the attraction of the film emulations (yeah I know you can mostly post all of that - and I'm shooting RAW+JPG right now). I LOVE the OVF because in converting from dSLR to Mirrorless that has been my big struggle point.

Anyways - hope anyone waiting in line, get's the cameras soon!

Apr 14, 2024 at 08:07 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

My repaired camera is showing as 'Shipping' in the status, so hopefully back in my hands this week!

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:25 AM
mmarkovich
• •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

Believe it or not Guys, B&H have it now, in stock I just got one Silver, not that i need it

Apr 17, 2024 at 01:48 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Pre-order the Fujifilm X100VI camera now available!

mmarkovich wrote:
Believe it or not Guys, B&H have it now, in stock I just got one Silver, not that i need it

Did they give you a shipping date? Looks like it's on "soft backorder", as there is no delivery date provided at checkout, and says your order will be fulfilled once all items are in stock.

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:25 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.