Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15              17              33       34       end

Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

intangiblethin wrote:
Will the Type II black paint wear away and reveal brass underneath?

The focusing tab on my 28mm f/2 has chipped away and it's this ugly dull silver beneath.

Sure, over time, the black paint Type II may expose brass underneath. There are reports suggesting that the 28/2 tab might not be brass; I'm uncertain about the 28/1.5 Nokton.

Feb 02, 2024 at 10:23 AM
ashwinrao1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

The tab is definitely not brass though the body is on my Ultron ii. Its some form of
Aluminum. Recently I repainted mine using black laquer paint and it worked out perfect to restore the original finish

Fred Miranda wrote:
Sure, over time, the black paint Type II may expose brass underneath. There are reports suggesting that the 28/2 tab might not be brass; I'm uncertain about the 28/1.5 Nokton.

Feb 02, 2024 at 10:41 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

LAARILEY wrote:
Iím interested in this too. Do I stand to gain anything over the (old and optically messy) FE 28mm f/2 if I am considering the CV 28mm f/2 Ultron II, CV 28mm f/1.5 Nokton, and 7Artisans 28mm f/1.4 FE+? Or is the best current option that isnít the stupidly large Sigma.. the Laowa 1.2?

Part of me is holding out hope that Cosina announces e-mount versions of the 28 Nokton and 50 f/1 at CP+ but I fully expect to be disappointed.

Why havenít Sigma produced an I Series 28? I have and love the 35 and 90 and I would
...Show more

The top 28mm choices for Sony cameras are lenses specifically designed for its sensor, and I agree that there aren't many available choices. The Sony FE 28/2 is still a good option, providing very good performance and strong resistance to flare. Some M-lenses outperform others, but wide-angle lenses, in general, show some degradation in IQ in a form of astigmatism and increased field curvature. However, stopping down the lens for a broader depth of field can mitigate these issues, and even with these lenses, performance can be very good on the Sony. However, they won't reach the same level of performance as they would on a Leica body.

In my experience, the CV 28/1.5 performed well on the Sony with some caveats. When wide open and focusing on a subject at mid-distance, there may be some inconsistencies in rendering, with out-of-focus corners appearing sharper sharper than it should, depending on the scene. For landscape photography or similar applications where consistent sharpness across the field is crucial, I recommend stopping the lens down to f/5.6 and beyond based on my results.

I also like shooting with 28mm lenses and it's quite disappointing that Sigma and other third party brands didn't develop a 28mm with AF for Sony. Perhaps their research indicates that most photographers prefer 24/25mm lenses instead.

Feb 02, 2024 at 10:41 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

ashwinrao1 wrote:
The tab is definitely not brass though the body is on my Ultron ii. Its some form of
Aluminum. Recently I repainted mine using black laquer paint and it worked out perfect to restore the original finish

This is why the Ultron II Type 1 with the focus stick rules. The stick is shiny aluminium AND the lens also has a real focus ring. The Type 2 only has the tab.

Feb 02, 2024 at 10:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

ashwinrao1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Did you remove the tab, sand/prime before painting? It would be great if you could share your process, including the type of paint you used.

Feb 02, 2024 at 11:44 AM
ashwinrao1
• •
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Did you remove the tab, sand/prime before painting? It would be great if you could share your process, including the type of paint you used.

I was able to remove the residual paint that hadn't worn off using paint thinner (acetone) and the edge of my nail to scrape off the excess paint. This did not scratch the aluminum surface at all FYI. I cleaned the tab again with a rag with acetone followed by some rubbing alcohol to insure I had no residual oils or other impuries on the surface of the tab ahead of applying the pain. No sanding or priming was needed.

Next, I used Testor's enamel black "gloss" paint (recommended widely for painting an enameled finish on metal), and it seemed to work well on the cleaned focus tab, applying with a paint brush (fine hair), very slightly diluted with a bit of acetone to thin out the paint (4 parts paint, 1 part acetone):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CNM2VW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I used a hair dryer on low temp setting to even out the paint a bit, and then let dry overnight. It turned out great, IMO.

Nehemiah can inform you of the work and how it holds up

Before

After

Best,
Ashwin

Feb 02, 2024 at 12:06 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Ashwin did a really impressive jobówhen it showed up, I was pumped.

Feb 02, 2024 at 12:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

ashwinrao1 wrote:
I was able to remove the residual paint that hadn't worn off using paint thinner (acetone) and the edge of my nail to scrape off the excess paint. This did not scratch the aluminum surface at all FYI. I cleaned the tab again with a rag with acetone followed by some rubbing alcohol to insure I had no residual oils or other impuries on the surface of the tab ahead of applying the pain. No sanding or priming was needed.

Next, I used Testor's enamel black "gloss" paint (recommended widely for painting an enameled finish on metal), and it seemed
...Show more

Fantastic work, Ashwin! Thanks for sharing. The restoration looks impressive, and it's helpful to know it's a straightforward process. While it would be nice if it were brass, perhaps the heavier material could impact haptics, likely why Leica lenses use plastic tabs.

Feb 02, 2024 at 02:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Back to Quick Links

Samples (Seascapes)
At wide apertures (except for the last one), handheld single shots.

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton lens    28mm    f/2.0    1/60s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton lens    28mm    f/2.4    1/45s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton lens    28mm    f/8.0    1/125s    200 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Feb 02, 2024 at 02:42 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.16 #10 · p.16 #10 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

M11 + CV 28/1.5 Nokton

Feb 02, 2024 at 04:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MEDISN
• •
p.16 #11 · p.16 #11 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

LOVE those shots Fred. 28 is such a great focal length for shots like this and the Voigt impresses.

Feb 02, 2024 at 04:11 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.16 #12 · p.16 #12 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Back to sample shots contributed by FM members

A few more in monochrome from the M11

Feb 02, 2024 at 04:18 PM
LAARILEY
• •
p.16 #13 · p.16 #13 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
The top 28mm choices for Sony cameras are lenses specifically designed for its sensor, and I agree that there aren't many available choices. The Sony FE 28/2 is still a good option, providing very good performance and strong resistance to flare. Some M-lenses outperform others, but wide-angle lenses, in general, show some degradation in IQ in a form of astigmatism and increased field curvature. However, stopping down the lens for a broader depth of field can mitigate these issues, and even with these lenses, performance can be very good on the Sony. However, they won't reach the same level
...Show more

Thank you Fred!

Feb 02, 2024 at 07:28 PM
LAARILEY
• •
p.16 #14 · p.16 #14 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BastianK wrote:
The only 28mm M-mount lens I would use on Sony is the 7A 28mm 1.4 Fe+, but also here I would rather get the Laowa 28mm 1.2.
And I have used all of the lenses mentioned.

Thank you Bastian. I suppose in the absence of an announcement of an e-mount CV 28 at CP+ I will look again at the 7A and Laowa. Sigma could make this much easier for Sony shooters and develop a 28 f/2 DG DN 😂

Feb 02, 2024 at 07:33 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.16 #15 · p.16 #15 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

LAARILEY wrote:
Thank you Bastian. I suppose in the absence of an announcement of an e-mount CV 28 at CP+ I will look again at the 7A and Laowa. Sigma could make this much easier for Sony shooters and develop a 28 f/2 DG DN 😂

I'd love a 28mm in the I-Series Sigma but only if it has barrel and not pincushion distortion. It seems to be random from one I-Series focal length to the next as to what kind of distortion is present.

Feb 02, 2024 at 09:23 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.16 #16 · p.16 #16 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Voigtlander 28/1.5 on the Leica M4-P
Hoage lens hood

That's the Keks light meter on top (https://www.kekscameras.com/kekskm02.html#/)

Feb 02, 2024 at 09:24 PM
MCMXCAD

p.16 #17 · p.16 #17 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

I haven't read all the pages but looks from these pics that f2 and beyond is where this lens shines..

Fred Miranda wrote:
Samples (Various scenarios and lighting)
Mostly wide open at f/1.5.

Feb 03, 2024 at 04:18 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #18 · p.16 #18 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

MCMXCAD wrote:
I haven't read all the pages but looks from these pics that f2 and beyond is where this lens shines..

Keep in mind that when using a Leica M, the aperture settings are only approximate. Therefore, images taken at f/1.5 might display EXIF data indicating f/2 or f/2.8. This discrepancy shows because there's no communication between the lens' aperture and the camera due to the lack of electronics on Leica M lenses. Leica 'estimates' the light entering the lens through a small sensor on top of the camera.

Feb 03, 2024 at 10:23 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.16 #19 · p.16 #19 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Yes, an f2 Sigma contemporary please!

Feb 03, 2024 at 11:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #20 · p.16 #20 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

This pen works for 6-bit coding lenses. (It's flat black enough).
https://uniball.co.uk/brands/super-ink/uni-super-ink-permanent-marker-pna-125/

Here it looks coded to the Leica 28/1.4 lux:

Feb 03, 2024 at 03:02 PM
1       2       3              15              17              33       34       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.