p.23 #1 · p.23 #1 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

idkw, but I kind of want an A7Cr.

May 03, 2024 at 03:41 PM
tuomkok
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.23 #2 · p.23 #2 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

DES-1 wrote:
Has there been any further price erosion on the Cr? If I could snag one for 2400 or less I'd probably take the plunge (like I need another camera ). The thought was it'd be a fun body to dedicate to one of the very fine manual lenses out there such as the 35 APO.

No erosion, not really. In Europe A7cr is still about 1,5x the price of A7c II, making it not so desirable. Knowing how good the Sony 33mpx sensor is, it is very easy decision to take the economy route here.

I would not enjoy using manual lenses with these cameras. The EVF is barely ok with af. If you want to have high resolution and use manual lenses, why not buy the A7rIV - it is good price and the viewfinder will be much better.

May 04, 2024 at 05:16 AM
liggy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.23 #3 · p.23 #3 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

3catsinky wrote:
idkw, but I kind of want an A7Cr.

lol.. I want one too. Love the idea of a compact EDC.

Then I think about what lenses Iíd use with it and the feelings go away. They are big enough to negate the compact form factor or MF so I donít really need the latest AF or 61MP.

If I ever sell off my Fuji kit Iíll probably end up with a compact Sony down the road.

May 04, 2024 at 08:57 AM
jwpstl
• • •
p.23 #4 · p.23 #4 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I like the idea of the C line and Iím in the market for an upgrade but I see these as perfect for small primes and I just donít enjoy primes. If there was a small tele zoom to pair with the 28-60 then maybe.

May 04, 2024 at 09:12 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.23 #5 · p.23 #5 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Speaking of MF lenses...to me it depends how you plan to use them. My A7cR & CV15 set to f/8 & infinity focus was a landscape & beach sunset machine on Maui a few months ago. Just put it in a small soft case and into my backpack. Small & simple with great results, and with those types of settings the evf is fine for me.

May 04, 2024 at 09:22 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.23 #6 · p.23 #6 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

jwpstl wrote:
I like the idea of the C line and Iím in the market for an upgrade but I see these as perfect for small primes and I just donít enjoy primes. If there was a small tele zoom to pair with the 28-60 then maybe.

Okay, how is the 70-200mm f/4 G II that doubles as a macro lens, too? It is compact and lightweight. One thing I don't particularly like about this lens is, it extends when zooming. Well, that's the price we pay for the small and light factors...

May 04, 2024 at 09:30 AM
liggy
• • •
p.23 #7 · p.23 #7 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

gocolts wrote:
Speaking of MF lenses...to me it depends how you plan to use them. My A7cR & CV15 set to f/8 & infinity focus was a landscape & beach sunset machine on Maui a few months ago. Just put it in a small soft case and into my backpack. Small & simple with great results, and with those types of settings the evf is fine for me.

Perfect use case.

For me - itís the fast CV lenses and 20-70 Iíd want to use. Iíd want the RV EVF for those lenses.

May 04, 2024 at 09:30 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.23 #8 · p.23 #8 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

liggy wrote:
lol.. I want one too. Love the idea of a compact EDC.

Then I think about what lenses Iíd use with it and the feelings go away. They are big enough to negate the compact form factor or MF so I donít really need the latest AF or 61MP.

If I ever sell off my Fuji kit Iíll probably end up with a compact Sony down the road.

The current small Sony G primes are handy to use but would really have like to see them f/2 like the Sigma I-Series primes. The two new small G f/2.8 zooms do interest me at 16-25mm and 24-50mm and given their size and weight I donít think they negate the compact form factor. Iíve fitted my FE 24/1.4 GM to the A7CR and itís really not to big and itís the same size and weight.. My other GM II and GM primes/zooms feel better on my A7RV and A1 but are bigger and heavier when traveling by air. Iím sure my age is showing but thatís a changing condition I donít know how to fight.

May 04, 2024 at 01:47 PM
liggy
• • •
p.23 #9 · p.23 #9 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

swldstn wrote:
The current small Sony G primes are handy to use but would really have like to see them f/2 like the Sigma I-Series primes. The two new small G f/2.8 zooms do interest me at 16-25mm and 24-50mm and given their size and weight I donít think they negate the compact form factor. Iíve fitted my FE 24/1.4 GM to the A7CR and itís really not to big and itís the same size and weight.. My other GM II and GM primes/zooms feel better on my A7RV and A1 but are bigger and heavier when traveling by air. Iím sure
...Show more

Yep - thatís my issue - Iíd rather carry the Q2 vs. a compact Sony with the small but slower G primes.

Not getting any younger myself but beats the alternative!

May 05, 2024 at 01:02 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.23 #10 · p.23 #10 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

liggy wrote:
Yep - thatís my issue - Iíd rather carry the Q2 vs. a compact Sony with the small but slower G primes.

Not getting any younger myself but beats the alternative!

Trade off between a camera with a single focal length and one that doesnít limit you. I know that I would never travel somewhere for a month or so with just one focal length.

May 05, 2024 at 08:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

liggy
• • •
p.23 #11 · p.23 #11 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

chez wrote:
Trade off between a camera with a single focal length and one that doesnít limit you. I know that I would never travel somewhere for a month or so with just one focal length.

Same.

Last trip I took the 20-70 which got 90% of the shots. 35GM instead of the Q2 and the 70-200 2.8 which rarely got used.
None of those lenses really maximize the advantage of the compact nature of the C bodies.

May 05, 2024 at 11:01 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.23 #12 · p.23 #12 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

DES-1 wrote:
When the original C came out, I noticed that the body was essentially the same size as the r4 if you subtract the viewfinder bump - so you make a valid point. I think I made that critique in a long ago post. If I were smart, I'd forget this and just occasionally switch one of my cameras to manual focus! Confessions of a gadget person...

this is somewhat not true

the A7c is shorter even with viewfinder taken out of the formula.

the grip is significantly smaller, you may be thinking FX3 is more akin to a no hump body A7r iv/v body. Another thing hard to notice that it's less wide by half cm. Weighs less by 150-200g, and that's a significant amount. If it had the rv screen, it would be close to perfect, and I hope that articulating screen will make it to the small bodies some day, even without, it is a fine camera... The interface is great, just enough controls, it really is an amazing camera, too bad its biggest competitor is the Cii, which is so high quality, it makes it hard to justify the price difference.

hopefully, sony makes my dream camera, the A9c, will settle for the A1c as well

May 05, 2024 at 12:32 PM
DES-1
• •
p.23 #13 · p.23 #13 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Charlie N wrote:
this is somewhat not true

the A7c is shorter even with viewfinder taken out of the formula.

the grip is significantly smaller, you may be thinking FX3 is more akin to a no hump body A7r iv/v body. Another thing hard to notice that it's less wide by half cm. Weighs less by 150-200g, and that's a significant amount.

Yet, this is somewhat true looking at the comparisons, Not sure the difference is noticeable in larger hands. Agree with you on the weight it is a substantial difference.

Tried to attach the comparison pics but I'm being blocked.

https://camerasize.com/compare/#826,911

Sony A7R IV is 4% (4.9 mm) wider and 36% (25.3 mm) taller than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R IV is 22% (14.1 mm) thicker than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R IV [665 g] weights 29% (150 grams) more than Sony Alpha a7CR [515 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Sony A7R IV dimensions: 128.9x96.4x77.5 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Sony Alpha a7CR dimensions: 124x71.1x63.4 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

May 05, 2024 at 07:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.23 #14 · p.23 #14 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

DES-1 wrote:
Yet, this is somewhat true looking at the comparisons, Not sure the difference is noticeable in larger hands. Agree with you on the weight it is a substantial difference.

Tried to attach the comparison pics but I'm being blocked.

https://camerasize.com/compare/#826,911

Sony A7R IV is 4% (4.9 mm) wider and 36% (25.3 mm) taller than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R IV is 22% (14.1 mm) thicker than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R IV [665 g] weights 29% (150 grams) more than Sony Alpha a7CR [515 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Sony A7R IV dimensions: 128.9x96.4x77.5 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
...Show more

Here is the comparison between the A7r5 and A7cr, which is probably the more likely two cameras that would be compared. The A7r5 has bulked up even more compared to the A7cr.

Sony A7R V is 6% (7.3 mm) wider and 36% (25.8 mm) taller than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R V is 30% (19 mm) thicker than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R V [723 g] weights 40% (208 grams) more than Sony Alpha a7CR [515 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Sony A7R V dimensions: 131.3x96.9x82.4 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Sony Alpha a7CR dimensions: 124x71.1x63.4 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

May 05, 2024 at 08:27 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.23 #15 · p.23 #15 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

In these more straitened times, two cameras $200 apart looks like a more valid and perhaps more common comparison than one that asks an extra $700 to find - $3900 is a lot of brass. It doesn't help the case people want to make so much, however.

Relative to the a7CR, the a7rIV has 244% more EVF resolution in a superior housing, with a 28% larger VF. (It also has 228% the resolution in its LCD screen.) These figures place it near the centre of the large gap between the a7CR and a7rV, in the EVF metrics.

The a7rIV is also directly competitive with Canon's R5, and it's ahead of Nikon's Z8 in terms of EVF resolution. Both of these camera share the accepted EVF top panel placement, in much heavier bodies. The a7rIV is still very competitively priced as well.

It appears to suggest that, in the a7CR Sony is seeing what they can get away with in the marketplace - they want to gauge how poor an EVF experience enough photographers are willing to tolerate in sales volumes sufficient to make the product viable.

Remember, the a7cr grew out of the hybrid lower resolution body of the a7c/a7cII, the latter marketed as 'a7C II, the Hybrid Enhanced'. Sony simply shoe-horned the 61mp sensor into this companion camera, and used the identical EVF/LCD. So it is a concept they are floating, to see what happens. It would be very interesting to see the cost of these significantly distinct EVF components to the manufacturer, for each of these three Sony cameras.

Some of us are blessed with excellent vision and can more easily tolerate less well-developed EVFs, but as a whole photographers are an ageing demographic cohort. 'The average age of male Photographers in the workforce is 41.4 and of female Photographers is 35.4' (US data). Amateur photographers may be much older, on average, several are complaining about old age in this thread. And modern lifestyles are not conducive to visual acuity. We'll see how it all pans out in due course.

May 05, 2024 at 11:15 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.23 #16 · p.23 #16 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Interesting discussions. There are many different types of Swiss Army knives, some are tiny with 3 or 4 very basic tools, some are very big and heavy with over 10 tools. I own several. I had an A7CR for a short period of time, I liked it. When I decided to sell one of my cameras, I sold the A7RC, kept the A7RV, the feature set in the A7RV outweighs the smaller size of the A7CR, for me of course. It's the other way around for a lot of people. It's all about personal preference. I chose the bigger "Swiss Army" knife. I may buy the A7CR again in a year or two. If we are talking about Swiss Army knife is a broad sense, A1 is the Swiss Army knife, IMO.

May 06, 2024 at 04:21 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.23 #17 · p.23 #17 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

philip_pj wrote:
In these more straitened times, two cameras $200 apart looks like a more valid and perhaps more common comparison than one that asks an extra $700 to find - $3900 is a lot of brass. It doesn't help the case people want to make so much, however.

Relative to the a7CR, the a7rIV has 244% more EVF resolution in a superior housing, with a 28% larger VF. (It also has 228% the resolution in its LCD screen.) These figures place it near the centre of the large gap between the a7CR and a7rV, in the EVF metrics.

The a7rIV is
...Show more

And yet with its diminished viewfinder the A7c2 was the third highest selling camera in Japan. Seems like a few people somehow manage to take photos with such a lousy viewfinder. Who would have thunk that?

May 06, 2024 at 08:15 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.23 #18 · p.23 #18 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Douglas L wrote:
Interesting discussions. There are many different types of Swiss Army knives, some are tiny with 3 or 4 very basic tools, some are very big and heavy with over 10 tools. I own several. I had an A7CR for a short period of time, I liked it. When I decided to sell one of my cameras, I sold the A7RC, kept the A7RV, the feature set in the A7RV outweighs the smaller size of the A7CR, for me of course. It's the other way around for a lot of people. It's all about personal preference. I chose the bigger
...Show more

Maybe the first time I went the other direction and went with the smaller knife. I have my feet hanging out the door on retirement and I always had the big guns but this time I went for the smaller one and when gigs come ill just rent which is a practice I have done for a long time anyway. Actually going to rent the A7RV twice next month . I pretty much have had every Sony cam they made since the A7R so Im comfortable with just using the LCD and actually my big gig I do twice a year I use the LCD the whole time with about 20k in shots. Frankly the LCD only if you can do it is far easier on the human factor and less work. Now you have to be comfortable doing that much shooting and you need to be sure your AF is working properly and tacking well. Now a monopod helps me here too with the LCD as your not jumping around. Honestly my new A7CR I have yet to even look in the EVF and that's fine I had the A7C twice . I know what it is and just don't use it. People make way too big a deal of all this. The good news and something to be happy about is I still have 61mpx on me.

I read these threads and what comes immediately to mind are people just don't want to work there cams . Photography is work and you need to put the time in and not whine about it. Not going to go any further on this but the EVF shit needs to just die. Im so happy after 50 years of this stuff im not lugging hundreds of pounds of gear anymore.

May 06, 2024 at 08:48 AM
rmurphy

p.23 #19 · p.23 #19 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I purchased the A7CR in December and have used it now on several trips with a variety of lenses including the Sony 16-35 PZ, Sony 20-70 F4, Tamron 70-180 F2.8, Sony 70-200 F4, and Sony 40mm F2.5. I thought the 40mm with A7CR would be the perfect go light walkaround setup but in reality I rarely use that combo and favor many of the other lenses even though they are larger. I carry with me both the Sony grip and Smallrig base and feel like the camera needs one or the other with every lens except the 40mm to feel right in hand. Add in the must have rubber eyecup and you have an extra 146 grams to tote around and the size is no longer quite so compact. After some re-evaluating I have decided the compromise no longer makes sense for me and now feel like the A7CR is really only special if you pair it with small primes. I just purchased the A7RV and will be selling my A7CR as I can't justify owning both. FWIW I purchased both cameras on Greentoe and without saying what the price was I can say I got the A7RV within $275 of what I got the A7CR for though 5 months later in time.

May 06, 2024 at 09:00 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.23 #20 · p.23 #20 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I will say that I do like the Sony grip and the Smallrig as well. Probably going to use the Smallrig more but that pinky hanging always kind of bugged me on the A7C. I feel the use of a longer lens is a benefit with these little grips. I would say most of us are used to using a bigger cam and it just feels better

May 06, 2024 at 09:13 AM
1       2       3              22              24       25       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              22              24       25       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.