Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              24       25       end
  

Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

  
 
Robin Smith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


I never realized that all I needed to know about camera sales could be obtained by looking at FM's buy and sell board. Keep it to ourselves as clearly all professional market analysis is now pointless.

Apart from the absurdity of the thread title, there are many reasons why people don't buy cameras. From my perspective I would not buy it because the camera size is not significantly different from getting a full-sized Sony and I would rather have the improved comfort of having a bigger camera. The size of the body is not very important in the context of the size of the system you are likely to be lugging around.



Dec 13, 2023 at 10:27 AM
nepali
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Recklesscoding wrote:
In Europe, the A7C R is awfully close to the A7R V in price. With the ongoing winter promotions, the A7R V is actually at the same price or cheaper than the A7C R! Even when compared at full prices, for a bit more you get a higher-resolution and magnification EVF, joystick, 10fps burst shooting, multi-axis tilt-shift higher-resolution rear screen, etc.

Even with it being 'bad value,' the A7C R may still appeal to those with more than one body. It is smaller and lighter ógreat for travel or landscape. However, if you are lookingólike I didóa camera that I
...Show more

If a person's priority is price then, yes, that makes sense. If a person's priority is smaller/lighter body, like in my case, that price difference (or no price difference) does not matter. If a burger costs the same as a juicy piece of steak but I WANT a burger then the price does not matter.



Dec 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM
GMPhotography
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Simple wonít work for me. It ends there


Dec 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


The 6700 is an interesting option for a compact travel camera, but the biggest issue for me is my Batis 25 is not a 25mm lens when I put it onto a 6700. Iíd have to buy a whole new set of lenses for the aps-c camera which I just donít see the logic.

I always travel with 2 cameras and they have to both be the same format so I can use my existing lenses interchangeably on both cameras.



Dec 13, 2023 at 10:42 AM
swldstn
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Iím very happy with my A7CR even though I pre-ordered it paid full price. I use it for travel and walk around but also have an A7RV and several A1ís. Itís also great as a backup since I never like to travel long distance without a backup body so that an entire trip or event does not get flushed if something were to fail.

That said I also bought an open-box used A7CII because I think itís 33 Mpixel sensor is better in low light. If that doesnít prove to be true I will sell that one. For me the features are almost identical. I based this on my experience with the A7IV and A7RIV I shot with side by side.

Also down the road I expect I will travel with the A7CR and A7CII as a pair.

For lenses Iím trying to make the Sigma I-Series f/2 lenses work because they are smaller and lighter even being built with metal only. When I do use my GM primes I try to limit the size to the 50mm f/1.4 and smaller. If wanting an f/2.8 zoom for flexibility I find the Sigma 16-28/2.8 and 28-70/2.8 are both as small and lighter than the 20-70/4 G that I donít own.

Sony and its third party partners are offering huge amount of options and choices to assemble a kit to do what ever you want.



Dec 13, 2023 at 10:55 AM
sselhtrim
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


I'm one of the people who would never have bought the center evf a7s brand new so i'm one of the weird ones but i think there aren't many like me.


Dec 13, 2023 at 11:02 AM
LBJ2
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


nhsonyshooter wrote:
Yeah makes sense. Personal preference will always come into play. I'm sure I'll keep my RV but I'm getting the feeling already I will not be reaching for it near as much. Joystick for me is a none factor as tracking is so good I rarely use it on the RV. Never had a card failure and don't shoot professionally so not really worried there either. The 20-70 is great and is roughly the same size as my 35GM and I have determined that is about the largest I'd go in my travel set up. The 20-70 and 35GM fit
...Show more

There must be a market or Sony would not have continued the line with ver II or the A7cR.
Personal preference to include those that need and want small/compact FF as one of their top priorities. I also think the A7c models will however be a small compact FF camera system looking for a selection of equally small and compact AF lenses for some time to come. Sure we can mix and match larger lenses, but then almost defeats the small/compact proposal IMO and as others have mentioned the other Sony FF cameras really aren't much larger but balance better with the regular sized FF mirrorless lenses.

I'd like to see Sony put some real effort into higher premium quality native small/compact AF lenses to better match the A7c form-factor and now with the A7cR IQ. But this may not be possible with current technology and I do realize there are many happy using the current small/compact Sony G-Trio 24/40/50 lenses.



Dec 13, 2023 at 11:02 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


A camera like that has zero interest from me - the marginal EVF and LCD designs would make it too frustrating for the landscape, wildlife, macro, and video shooting I like to do.


Dec 13, 2023 at 11:49 AM
darrellc
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Iíd buy if it had the features of the A7rv and cost more than the V. Iíll pay for Sony miniaturization but Iím not keen on the functional compromises vs A7RV.

If it had just a better EVF/LCD and faster mech shutter at same price as A7RV Iíd probably buy it.



Dec 13, 2023 at 12:03 PM
MARKFER
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Oh I disagree with the sentiment, I believe the original A7C did very well, and no reason to think the new models won't either, regardless of the vocal naysayers. Do you really think Sony would have double downed on the A7C model otherwise? Doubt it. Sony is into making money above all else.


Dec 13, 2023 at 12:10 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

nepali
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


MARKFER wrote:
Oh I disagree with the sentiment, I believe the original A7C did very well, and no reason to think the new models won't either, regardless of the vocal naysayers. Do you really think Sony would have double downed on the A7C model otherwise? Doubt it. Sony is into making money above all else.


People on this forum who claim that the new A7C series are not selling well (based strictly on Buy/Sell forum) for sure know the camera business better than Sony.



Dec 13, 2023 at 12:21 PM
InFocus2014
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


I absolutely love my A1 and A7R5 cameras, but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about shooting my A7CR.

It does serve a very useful purpose, however, and I expect that it will stay in my stable. Having such a powerful compact camera fills a void for me, and, it is what I consider to be a technical marvel.

I am learning to dwell on the positive aspects of the camera and to just accept what I personally perceive to be its shortcomings. Fortunately, none of the shortcomings apply to the image quality it produces; so, in that aspect, it is a truly outstanding camera. Anyway, I have found that almost everything in life represents some sort of compromise.

I expect that the A7CII and A7CR will be a real success for Sony and I applaud both the engineers and management for making it a reality.





Dec 13, 2023 at 01:23 PM
rhawidantas
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Bought a A7rc and could not be happier.

It became my fancy PnS of choice. Small, snappy, great tech, great video.

Would I want it to be cheaper? Well, of course. I would also a 718 Cayman GT4 RS to be half price. Even though it is only a two seater, gas powered, etc.

For those that need a truck a Porsche is not a solution.

For those who want top of tech on an a6700 like body, there is only the new A7c models.



Dec 13, 2023 at 01:30 PM
sandycrane
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


If the a7rc had been available when I bought my a7rv I probably would have bought the smaller camera instead. But now I'm glad I have the a7rv because it's one of those cameras that seems to have gotten many things right, and is somehow more than the sum of its parts. The size and weight of a camera is only important to me when I have to lug it around. Once out of the bag I like the ergonomics and improved grip of the a7rv body. It is a joy to use.


Dec 13, 2023 at 01:54 PM
Craig Gillette
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


chez wrote:
The 6700 is an interesting option for a compact travel camera, but the biggest issue for me is my Batis 25 is not a 25mm lens when I put it onto a 6700. Iíd have to buy a whole new set of lenses for the aps-c camera which I just donít see the logic.

I always travel with 2 cameras and they have to both be the same format so I can use my existing lenses interchangeably on both cameras.


Yes, I started in aps-c mirror-less so had a couple of lenses already. Otherwise, the "crop factor" hits the wide/mid-range as it did when aps-c dslrs came along as an alternative to the ff dslrs.



Dec 13, 2023 at 02:09 PM
MARKFER
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


I'm not old enough to have experienced, a small body, high quality, FF camera hanging around my neck and shoulder, with a high quality manual focus lens, the first time around years ago. For travel it is a revelation. Of course you could say a phone is the better choice, for some maybe, but the quality you get out of the C body type is head and shoulders better in my opinion. It is a big thing for the 'right' customer.


Dec 13, 2023 at 02:35 PM
nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


nepali wrote:
That seller you are referring to is a camera dealer. He will post one ad and sell multiple cameras. He only creates new ad every once in a while. Then again, what sells at the buyer/seller forum here is not an indication of the whole market.


Actually was not. I'm well aware who the dealers are. It really doesn't matter though.



Dec 13, 2023 at 05:08 PM
nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


InFocus2014 wrote:
I absolutely love my A1 and A7R5 cameras, but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about shooting my A7CR.

It does serve a very useful purpose, however, and I expect that it will stay in my stable. Having such a powerful compact camera fills a void for me, and, it is what I consider to be a technical marvel.

I am learning to dwell on the positive aspects of the camera and to just accept what I personally perceive to be its shortcomings. Fortunately, none of the shortcomings apply to the image quality it produces; so, in that aspect, it is
...Show more

I hope they are as well so that is incentive to make version CRII



Dec 13, 2023 at 05:11 PM
nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Robin Smith wrote:
I never realized that all I needed to know about camera sales could be obtained by looking at FM's buy and sell board. Keep it to ourselves as clearly all professional market analysis is now pointless.

Apart from the absurdity of the thread title, there are many reasons why people don't buy cameras. From my perspective I would not buy it because the camera size is not significantly different from getting a full-sized Sony and I would rather have the improved comfort of having a bigger camera. The size of the body is not very important in the context of
...Show more

It's a conversation starter. Don't over think it! Isn't that the point of Forums?



Dec 13, 2023 at 05:13 PM
nhsonyshooter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"


Recklesscoding wrote:
In Europe, the A7C R is awfully close to the A7R V in price. With the ongoing winter promotions, the A7R V is actually at the same price or cheaper than the A7C R! Even when compared at full prices, for a bit more you get a higher-resolution and magnification EVF, joystick, 10fps burst shooting, multi-axis tilt-shift higher-resolution rear screen, etc.

Even with it being 'bad value,' the A7C R may still appeal to those with more than one body. It is smaller and lighter ógreat for travel or landscape. However, if you are lookingólike I didóa camera that I
...Show more

Yes and no. I agree if I was buying one camera I would buy the A7RV first absolutely. Since in my case I already have it the smaller body is attractive for a lot of reasons. As mentioned the funny part is (and I was not expecting it) the A7CR with the included Grip is better than the A7RV on it's own. Not that I ever really thought the RV was bad. I kinda like the hanging pinky thing. But with bigger glass the extend grip does feel better and it adds nothing to the weight unlike a battery grip.



Dec 13, 2023 at 05:20 PM
1              3              24       25       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              24       25       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.