FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              23              25       end

Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

lightskyland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.24 #1 · p.24 #1 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

chez wrote:
Here is the comparison between the A7r5 and A7cr, which is probably the more likely two cameras that would be compared. The A7r5 has bulked up even more compared to the A7cr.

Sony A7R V is 6% (7.3 mm) wider and 36% (25.8 mm) taller than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R V is 30% (19 mm) thicker than Sony Alpha a7CR.
Sony A7R V [723 g] weights 40% (208 grams) more than Sony Alpha a7CR [515 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Sony A7R V dimensions: 131.3x96.9x82.4 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Sony Alpha a7CR dimensions: 124x71.1x63.4 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

And the viewfinder hump (protrusion) is important too!

If you don't care about how big the camera is, how much it weighs, whether it fits in a jacket pocket etc. then go ahead and get an A7R5, etc. People who buy the compact series cameras buy them because they want something smaller and are perfectly willing to deal with the compromises that entails.

Sony offers both options!

May 06, 2024 at 09:59 AM
PhtevenL

Upload & Sell: Off
p.24 #2 · p.24 #2 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I compared the A7CR, A7r5 and my own A7IV at a Sony event. Coming from A7IV I could not get used to the small form factor of the A7CR especially with 70-200GM2, but if I was coming from APS-C it would probably feel better. Same reason why I originally went A7IV over A7C.

May 06, 2024 at 10:03 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.24 #3 · p.24 #3 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

PhtevenL wrote:
I compared the A7CR, A7r5 and my own A7IV at a Sony event. Coming from A7IV I could not get used to the small form factor of the A7CR especially with 70-200GM2, but if I was coming from APS-C it would probably feel better. Same reason why I originally went A7IV over A7C.

You do get used to a certain size for sure. Bottom line get what fits you the best. I taught at least 30 workshops and my teaching the participants was all about being comfortable with your cams as the last thing you want even doing landscape stuff is struggling with your camera. It really should take very little thinking to operate and spend the time shooting getting your shot. Not fooling around with a camera. Big or small it don't matter as long as you can handle it easily.

May 06, 2024 at 10:13 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.24 #4 · p.24 #4 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Have the A7RC and A7CII for compact travel along with my full-size A1 + battery grip I use for BIF and A7RV targeted at landscape, architecture, and event work so heavily invested in Sony. Key thing Iím trying to determine is how big can a lens be on the compact C bodies, were I do use the small viewfinder (use EVF on every body I own), before itís too big and cumbersome. Usage, not just travel weight is the most importance to me. Iíve tried the small G primes, Sigma I-series f/2 primes, Batis 25, 40, and 85 primes, and some smaller GM primes like the 24, 50/1.4, and 35/1.4 primes. Doing lots of experimenting. The latest is trying to live with the 24/1.4 GM since itís size and weight is almost identical to the 24-50/2.8 G and slightly bigger than the 16-24/w2.8 G and that seems to work for me if walking around even though the other small primes is a desirable goal. Sure, can go heavier in a pinch like the 50/1.4 GM but not for a full day I think but it does fit nicely into my Moment 10L sling. I know many want to use a 3.5L to 6/7L sling but times I want swap out a lens for a medium size flash. Also with that size sling I can carry the larger A7RV, with baseplate and one larger lens for an event if I need to. So until I get to actually tryout one of the new G f/2.8 zooms that where I stand. One note, Iíve tried the smaller Sigma 16-28/2.8 and 28-70/2.8 zooms and while longer their slimmer design seems to work as well. Sigmaís 16-28/2.8 with all internal zoom and constant size is also a very nice to manage size. Still experimenting but thatís where I stand right now. Just my feedback.

May 06, 2024 at 10:17 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.24 #5 · p.24 #5 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Once I get my rental 70-200 next month I will try it on this body with the Smallrig grip and im sure it will be okay but just okay. Today I tend to think for comfort maybe the Batis 135 as the longest you feel comfortable with handling. But I would like to try bigger in the 70-200

May 06, 2024 at 10:21 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.24 #6 · p.24 #6 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Been using FF Sony bodies since 2018, with the A7RIV as my main body. I shoot mostly Eye detect AF with manual mode exposure and rely on the 3 control dials for quick exposure adjustments, the lack of the 3rd dial on the A7C was mainly why I was never interested.

When the A6700 was announced that changed, as it had the 3rd dial, an improved grip plus the newest subject detection AF system with the latest generation of eye AF. I purchased one about 7 months ago and just love it, the form factor fits just fine for me with my Batis and Sigma I series primes, though I did add the SmallRig bottom plate. One Hell of a camera for $1,400.

Liked the new subject detection AF and even further improved eye detect on the A6700 so much that I wanted to upgrade the A7RIV to have the same features. Yes the ďlogicalĒ choice may have been the A7RV, but I am now just fine with more compact body and left side EVF, and I am using the LCD more and more for composures. So I purchased an A7CR instead last month. It really came down to going forward, as I am retired, much of my camera use will be for travel and I wanted the smaller 61MP camera body, as whenever traveling longer distances I always carry 2 bodies. Having 2 small form factor bodies that use the same lens mount and same battery makes my travel so much easier, as the last few years I carried a smaller Olympus M4/3 camera and lenses as the Sony backup.

Many of the issues with Sony compact bodies others in this thread have mentioned donít seem to bother me. The EVF is more than adequate, I have no issue with 1 card slot as my iPhone has USB-C and it is my immediate on site backup, the added SmallRig base plate gives me a lightweight but more assured grip and the 3 control dials let me make my quick exposure settings just as easily if I have gotten the A7RV. Now I have 2 smaller compact, but feature rich bodies with the latest subject detection AF system and my GAS is DONE! Will be nice to put my usual camera gear money going forward into traveling instead

May 06, 2024 at 10:42 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.24 #7 · p.24 #7 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

GMPhotography wrote:
Once I get my rental 70-200 next month I will try it on this body with the Smallrig grip and im sure it will be okay but just okay. Today I tend to think for comfort maybe the Batis 135 as the longest you feel comfortable with handling. But I would like to try bigger in the 70-200

Guy, are you getting the new F/4 70-200 G Macro OSS II, F/2.8 GM II or the older first generation of either? I have owned both the first generation versions but now have the 70-200/2.8 GM II but really havenít mounted it on the A7CR yet.
Unfortunately sold my Batis 135 to Fred and replaced it with the FE 135/1.8 GM which on the full size bodies was fine. Closest lens to that size/weight I have now is the FE 90/2.8 Macro G to tryout. Itís close in in both to the Batis 135.
I have considered the new F/4 Macro G but really for outdoor use.

Let us know what you think once you have it hand. Take care.

Steve

May 06, 2024 at 11:29 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.24 #8 · p.24 #8 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

swldstn wrote:
Have the A7RC and A7CII for compact travel along with my full-size A1 + battery grip I use for BIF and A7RV targeted at landscape, architecture, and event work so heavily invested in Sony. Key thing Iím trying to determine is how big can a lens be on the compact C bodies, were I do use the small viewfinder (use EVF on every body I own), before itís too big and cumbersome. Usage, not just travel weight is the most importance to me. Iíve tried the small G primes, Sigma I-series f/2 primes, Batis 25, 40, and 85 primes, and
...Show more

train yourself to be happy with f4 lenses

I can say that I've been in similar exercises with globs of gear trial, and I have tightened the gear list down to several pieces of gear that I enjoy a lot, and they are all small.

single lenses that I would use by themselves
16-35pz
20-40
20-70

these are probably my favorite zooms for the smaller bodies

prime pairings

24g + 50g, this is a good pairing, either can be used by itself all day and be ok.
sigma 17 + 45, for whatever reason, I really love this pairing..... love it more than I should.

I understand that f2.8 or even f4 as a prime is total blasphemy for a lot of folks, but this leads back to the original question, can you live with f4? A few years back, I went on an international trip, and limited myself with f4 or slower lenses, and I was very happy with the results, so I honed into a kit and been using with limitations.

sometimes I'll flip between primes and zooms, but I do love the primes for a simple fact that I can carry a super lightweight tripod and get away with it, makes the overall kit even smaller when all things considered and they have to be considered.

May 06, 2024 at 11:38 AM
foto16
• •
p.24 #9 · p.24 #9 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

A quick summary after 24 pages of heated debate for those impatient readers:

Group A: "I choose A7RV because I don't mind carrying the weight for the extras that it offers over A7CR."

Group B: "I choose A7CR because I care more about the savings in size and weight than the trade off in some specs."

Sony: "Isn't that why I gave you two choices?"

Edited on May 06, 2024 at 12:54 PM · View previous versions

May 06, 2024 at 12:34 PM
mojoh
• •
p.24 #10 · p.24 #10 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Getting the A7CR for weight/size savings with compromises are only half a solution.

The other half is having lenses with acceptable weight/size/IQ compromises..

May 06, 2024 at 12:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DES-1
• •
p.24 #11 · p.24 #11 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

rmurphy wrote:
FWIW I purchased both cameras on Greentoe and without saying what the price was I can say I got the A7RV within $275 of what I got the A7CR for though 5 months later in time.

Greentoe doesn't care if you share price. I had an accepted price of $2400 maybe 4 months ago but my credit card expired and I let the deal lapse. I'll try again but think prices have crept up.

May 06, 2024 at 01:19 PM
sselhtrim

p.24 #12 · p.24 #12 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

https://youtu.be/9S2_1siNqfU?si=Zqt6quv39CQBlHNq

Apparently the shutter sound is amplified with a speaker or something.
Wasn't aware this was a thing, mine sounds the same whether I cover the holes or not though.

May 06, 2024 at 02:42 PM
lightskyland
• • •
p.24 #13 · p.24 #13 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

mojoh wrote:
Getting the A7CR for weight/size savings with compromises are only half a solution.

The other half is having lenses with acceptable weight/size/IQ compromises..

Sony has a huge number of great, small, light lenses especially if you go third party where there's a plethora of options at most of the usual focal lengths.

May 06, 2024 at 02:44 PM
Tarekith
• •
p.24 #14 · p.24 #14 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

sselhtrim wrote:
https://youtu.be/9S2_1siNqfU?si=Zqt6quv39CQBlHNq

Apparently the shutter sound is amplified with a speaker or something.
Wasn't aware this was a thing, mine sounds the same whether I cover the holes or not though.

Ah, no wonder it sounds so weird on the A7CR too. I noticed how much louder it was than the A7IV right away and couldn't figure out why.

May 06, 2024 at 03:12 PM
Palmguy
• • •
p.24 #15 · p.24 #15 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

DES-1 wrote:
Greentoe doesn't care if you share price. I had an accepted price of $2400 maybe 4 months ago but my credit card expired and I let the deal lapse. I'll try again but think prices have crept up.

FWIW sometimes they do. On a few recent purchases, I've gotten an e-mail from them explicitly stating not to communicate any aspects of the deal including price.

May 06, 2024 at 03:42 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.24 #16 · p.24 #16 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

They should make this one with a Leica M lens friendly sensor thickness and micro lenses. And the better EVF. All done in a deal with Cosina for custom Voigtlander lenses. Then I would buy two of them.

May 06, 2024 at 04:05 PM
DES-1
• •
p.24 #17 · p.24 #17 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Palmguy wrote:
FWIW sometimes they do. On a few recent purchases, I've gotten an e-mail from them explicitly stating not to communicate any aspects of the deal including price.

I know they forbade sharing the dealer info so they aren't cut out of potential deals.

May 06, 2024 at 04:32 PM
rmurphy

p.24 #18 · p.24 #18 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

DES-1 wrote:

They do seam to have some mixed messaging on that but I too got an email stating:

"We wanted to reach out and kindly ask that you DO NOT post any details of this deal on any facebook groups, forums, or social media. DO NOT post the price, product or retailer's name."

Without completely divulging price I will say I paid just a little more than you for the A7CR back in December.

May 06, 2024 at 07:04 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.24 #19 · p.24 #19 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

They do ask not to divulge price in public. I think the reason why is to protect the Sony dealers from getting in trouble with Sony pricing policies. I can understand that but not sure how well that end works as we are not the dealers but customers. I used Greentoe in the past so not sure how that is all enforced if at all.

My feeling be happy you got a good price we really don't need to know as members here

May 06, 2024 at 07:16 PM
DES-1
• •
p.24 #20 · p.24 #20 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Thanks for the info. I think my last purchase from them was 2 or 3 years ago.

May 06, 2024 at 09:48 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.