Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              19              21              24       25       end

Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Tarekith
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

A couple more things about the A7CR I forgot to mention.

The buttons like C2 are flat and flush with the body, and not rounded like on the IV. I get that it makes for a more sleek and ‘pocketable’ camera, but it does make using the camera with gloves a bit more difficult.

Also, some people have mentioned they don’t like the new on off switch on the A7Cx, but for me it was a non-issue. I still find it just as easy to quickly turn on as the A7C or A7IV.

Lastly, the one thing that caught me out the most when switching from the IV to the CR is the shutter sound. It’s louder and just sounds…. very different from the IV. Higher pitched, less discrete, though we’re talking by a tiny amount so take that with a grain of salt.

Apr 27, 2024 at 09:19 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

philip_pj wrote, page 19, post 15:
[...]

The review does not mention the body's two steps backwards for manual focus lens users. It would have been a better fit for the large number of small/light MF lenses, but for Sony's EVF backsliding.

So it seems to be suffering from Tesla Syndrome: an apparently promising but narrow focus product with lots of power, but how are you going to use it? These are unbalanced pretenders in a ever more pragmatic world. At least the a7CR is not core to Sony's business model.

When reviewing the A7CR digitalcameraworld summarized the A7CR this way:
Cons:
Ergonomics still not great with larger lenses
Only one SD card slot
More expensive than similar Sony A7C II

Pros:
High-resolution 60MP full-frame sensor
Excellent autofocus
Compact size

I really expected a somewhat better EVF but Sony is Sony and I bought the A7CR fully aware of the pros and cons.

In my world, or in my satchel bag, size and weight are important. So i made a choice. I could obviously have bought the A7RV but decided against it, no matter what the technical advantages of the bigger and heavier camera are.

The specifications are what they are. What many in this thread seem to love to post is their opinion on how bad, bordering to useless, the A7CR is.
In reality the EVF is fully usable also for manual focusing, SD cards doesn't fail nearly as often as the naysayers claim and so on.

I use a mix of Sigma and Sony lenses. The Sigma 50/2 DG DN has a switch on the barrel for MF/AF. The switch suits me better than the tiny Sony version. The Sigma switch also goes in the, for me, right direction, which is up and down. Then I have set the red ring (start record movie) button to "enlarge" the area around the focus point in the viewfinder. It works well for MF (again, for me).

So oops... deciding what to buy is still a personal choice. The choice is based on facts and personal preferences.

When posting catchy phrases such as "Tesla Syndrome" a personal opinion is phrased as a universal truth. One can just as well say the big and heavy camera is of limited use as it will stay at home more often. (Which is true if you are speaking about me for example.)

I do note digitalcameraworld mentions the price as a con when compared to the A7Cii price. They are observant!

Apr 27, 2024 at 09:38 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Okay I bought this coming from the A7RV so im fully aware of the limitations of this A7CR and was against it mostly and still am to a certain degree. I had the A7c and 6700 so im fully aware of the EVF which I use the LCD more on this cameras. Im a working Pro so for gigs I will rent the A7RV and am twice in the next month. I kept my Type A cards and even the vertical grip. My issue with this cam is the One slot and Sync speed and LED banding but those are mostly work related and dediced this is a great backup and more important a personal travel cam and still get 61mpx sensor. So far I like it I have the Sigma 17mm, Sony 85 and the new 24-50 coming . Now I do shoot a lot of manual focus and the A7CR has limited control buttons so having the AF/MF switch on lens is key for me and the focus hold is now a focus magnifier to I get get into manual focus with my lenses without touching the camera controls. That makes it simple for me and keeps the custom buttons for other essential settings. I do like the 61mpx sensor and why I went A7CR and I was trying to get out of the 6700 so this made sense for me. Is it perfect absolutely not for my certain reasons as working Pro but that's okay I will rent the big guns when I need them and I do. The EVF is okay certainly not the A7RV but I can shoot any camera been doing this forever and very experienced but so fa I like it and ill get along with it. Being small will lend me to go out with it more.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:01 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I know I must be spoiled but I own both the A7RV and the A7CR since on many occasions I travel with two camera bodies to ensure having a backup. When the outing enables me to take a larger and heavier kit, with larger lenses as well, the A7RV is prime camera. But when I need smaller and lighter it also allows me to take just the A7CR and smaller lenses from both Sony and Sigma. The new smaller F/2.8 G zooms enhance that capability. To me there is not one size fits all people or situations. Having flexibility in the product portfolio is a huge plus.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:05 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Jonas B wrote:
When reviewing the A7CR digitalcameraworld summarized the A7CR this way:
Cons:
Ergonomics still not great with larger lenses
Only one SD card slot
More expensive than similar Sony A7C II

Pros:
High-resolution 60MP full-frame sensor
Excellent autofocus
Compact size

I really expected a somewhat better EVF but Sony is Sony and I bought the A7CR fully aware of the pros and cons.

In my world, or in my satchel bag, size and weight are important. So i made a choice. I could obviously have bought the A7RV but decided against it, no matter what the technical advantages of the bigger and heavier camera
...Show more

There are a lot of internet warriors here that just read reviews and form their own conclusions without actually using the gear…then spout off as if they are knowledgeable on the equipment. Best to listen to the people that actually use the equipment than listen to the ones that just read about it.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:07 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

swldstn wrote:
I know I must be spoiled but I own both the A7RV and the A7CR since on many occasions I travel with two camera bodies to ensure having a backup. When the outing enables me to take a larger and heavier kit, with larger lenses as well, the A7RV is prime camera. But when I need smaller and lighter it also allows me to take just the A7CR and smaller lenses from both Sony and Sigma. The new smaller F/2.8 G zooms enhance that capability. To me there is not one size fits all people or situations. Having flexibility in
...Show more

Agree in all honesty the A7CR is not really a Pro capable camera its lacking in certain areas but if you use the big guns for real work than having it as the backup and personal cam is a great thing.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:08 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

GMPhotography wrote:
Agree in all honesty the A7CR is not really a Pro capable camera its lacking in certain areas but if you use the big guns for real work than having it as the backup and personal cam is a great thing.

Just a follow on note. I also own and use an A1 since I have found it the best for wildlife and Bird In Flight ( BIF) which is a totally different environment that I love to participate in.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:16 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

chez wrote:
There are a lot of internet warriors here that just read reviews and form their own conclusions without actually using the gear…then spout off as if they are knowledgeable on the equipment. Best to listen to the people that actually use the equipment than listen to the ones that just read about it.

Internet warriors... yes, of course, they are always present.

I have to add this though:
In this particular case I quoted philip_pj who I don't consider an internet warrior really. To me he seems to be a photographer. But, as seen, many a time, a vocal one. Sometimes I find his facts to be too much colored by personal opinions and the Tesla Syndrome comment was in need of a reply.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:36 AM
cxpics
• •
p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

To pile on the issues of this review, the comments about the video of a7cr are way off. The a7cr uses pixel binning yes but it results in a better rolling shutter than the a7cii and identical (except rolling shutter isn't as good as a1) image quality to the a1 which also pixel bins. It also enables only 1.2x crop at 4k60 compared to 1.5x of the cii. So it's not limited in video compared to the a7cii at all you just need to be aware of the subtle differences. I think I've only seen Gerald undone fully explain the differences well.

philip_pj wrote:
It's a good outcome that you enjoy your new camera. But putting the EVF elephant in another room, several other downsides are worth noting for readers considering one:

'..A7CR stick(s) to a single SD UHS II card slot. Anyone hoping for a better/faster storage option on the A7CR will be disappointed.'

'It's a shame Sony didn’t splash a bit more cash on the displays. A somewhat disappointing 2.36m dot OLED EVF and a 3-inch vari-angle touchscreen with 1.037 million dots. The EVF and rear screen specifications are adequate but no more. That’s particularly disappointing in the Sony A7CR, which is an expensive
...Show more

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:53 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Btw I like the grip that comes with it but I ordered the small rig plate which maybe a better feel for me . Worth a try at 26 bucks

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jonas B
• • • •
p.20 #11 · p.20 #11 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

GMPhotography wrote:
Btw I like the grip that comes with it but I ordered the small rig plate which maybe a better feel for me . Worth a try at 26 bucks

You'll probably like it.
I have the Smallrig plate making it possible to get the camera onto a tripod (Arca-Swiss compatible heads) quickly. It also gives my pinkie something to rest on. The finish and fit is good.

I've never mounted the original grip that came with the camera. i wish Sony had designed like an L-plate instead of, well, whatever it is.

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:27 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.20 #12 · p.20 #12 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Yea it looks to hold your pinky finger well and I do need tripod mount too

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:39 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.20 #13 · p.20 #13 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

GMPhotography wrote:

I use both the included grip of the A7CR and the SmallRig base plate and keep them both in my camera bag. Easy to switch between them if I need to mount the body on a tripod.

Apr 27, 2024 at 04:01 PM
tuomkok
• • •
p.20 #14 · p.20 #14 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I am perfectly happy with handling when using Small Rig base plate. The grip is not any worse than with A9.

swldstn wrote:
I use both the included grip of the A7CR and the SmallRig base plate and keep them both in my camera bag. Easy to switch between them if I need to mount the body on a tripod.

Apr 28, 2024 at 05:16 AM
catacore
• •
p.20 #15 · p.20 #15 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

It's incredible that this thread has gathered 20 pages so far, and it still more about the pros of buying those "C" cameras, while the title asks/says "Why the people are NOT buying the.....".

I see some people keep saying how good is the EVF and, more so, how good it is for manual focusing. And how one should not believe in reviews, because they are biased, but better believe in THEIR opinion, as it is very objective (un-biased). This is really funny! Things like "I don't like the EVF, but I still bought the camera" - well this just simply does not work for me. If Sony has cut the wrong corners, then they need to assume that and live with the consequences (less cameras sold). In my case this means they will not get my money. Full stop. If some have assumed the "C" series shortcomings and were happy to pay for those and live with those, in my case I have decided to keep using (and travelling) with my "Humpy" R4 and have a good EVF instead of a smaller body. But please, just don't tell me how wrong I am with my decision. Once again, this topic is about why people are NOT buying the CR camera.

Going further with an A7x vs A7Rx comparison, we will see that the "R" version has always been a higher grade model, more stills oriented camera, with better EVF, tilt-only LCD, better handling/ergo, better weather resistance, and so on. We can't see this differentiation anymore between the Cii and the Cr. There is a cleary missmatch for me in this, so hopefully Sony will do better on the next iteration of these "C" cameras.
Until then, I'll happily carry a "humpy" one instead of a "C" one wherever I'll go. And yes, for me there is a noticeable size difference between my (ex) A7c and the A7Riv, so I would have bought the "C" version in a hearbeat, would it have had, at least, a good EVF. But as for now, I don't want to go any lower on the EVF, than the 5.8 MP of my A7Riv, so my guess is I will need to wait for the A7crIII at least, to get that sort of EVF. But given "Sony is Sony", I would not hold my breath for that.

Apr 28, 2024 at 08:44 AM
shadow9d9
• • •
p.20 #16 · p.20 #16 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I looked over the camera last night. Honestly, the only thing that holds me back is the viewfinder in the corner. I feel like having it off center could potentially be uncomfortable. I have no proof that this will be the case though.

The slightly weaker ibis vs a7rv is a negative, but not huge.

The lack of joystick is the other negative, but I am sure can be worked around.

Apr 28, 2024 at 09:43 AM
Jeff Kott
• • • •
p.20 #17 · p.20 #17 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Is the A7CR the Sony camera that has generated the highest number for negative posts after launch?

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:06 AM
catacore
• •
p.20 #18 · p.20 #18 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Jeff Kott wrote:
Is the A7CR the Sony camera that has generated the highest number for negative posts after launch?

I guess so. The most dissapointing mirrorless camera launched by Sony....given its price and the expectations...Basically, the only difference vs the A7cii is the pixel count.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:17 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.20 #19 · p.20 #19 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

Jeff Kott wrote:

Or is it the A1?
I don't know but the A7CR has certainly stirred up some emotions.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:29 AM
Jeff Kott
• • • •
p.20 #20 · p.20 #20 · Why are people not buying Sony's Swiss Army knife "A7cr"

I understand the criticisms, but the repetition of complaints about the EVF, LCD, single card slot and flash sync is a little baffling to me as I have been happily using my A7CR for several months now. I guess I’m more of a glass half full person when it comes to camera equipment and decide whether to buy it, not buy it or sell it and move on. I get that this is a gear forum and what we do here is discuss gear, but I find the repetition of the same complaints and in many case vitriol towards this camera and Sony to be surprising. If Sony is that bad, why not switch brands rather than ruminate.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:35 AM
1       2       3              19              21              24       25       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.