Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              10       11       end
  

Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread

  
 
Alex Phan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


300GM + 2x TC




  ILCE-1    FE 300mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/400s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 25, 2023 at 04:42 PM
Alex Phan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


200-600G @600mm




  ILCE-1    FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/400s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 25, 2023 at 04:42 PM
Alex Phan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


300GM + 2x TC @600mm

this for folk that ask to compare 300GM with 2x vs 200-600G at 600mm. The bokeh on 300GM seem to be smoother. But that is the $4K question.




  ILCE-1    FE 300mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/400s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 25, 2023 at 04:44 PM
Alex Phan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


A1 + 300GM




  ILCE-1    FE 300mm F2.8 GM OSS lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 25, 2023 at 07:29 PM
curtf
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


Alex Phan wrote:
300GM + 2x TC


Wow! The 300 + 2x TC is really so much better!

Thank you Alex!





Nov 26, 2023 at 01:58 AM
dave unwin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


I haven't been this excited about a lens in a long time! Time to start saving I think.


Nov 26, 2023 at 04:34 AM
hatch1921
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


Thank you Alex for providing the examples. Looks promising.

Hatch



Nov 26, 2023 at 09:02 AM
berimbolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


This lens looks like a winner, with and without the TCs.


Nov 26, 2023 at 09:58 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


Can't get detail with a 200-600? Come on....give me a break.

This one has the 2xTC on it. Anytime you can get as close as that roadrunner (as I did with this Pygmy) you can get crazy detail with any lens.

The place this 300GM is going to fail is the same place all of Sony's lenses fail with TCs and that is with AF.
I don't touch TCs at all anymore because of this. The 300GM may be better than 400GM and 600GM but I doubt it will be consistent enough to use as a 600mm lens all the time. Unless your thing is birds on a stick...then I guess it will be feasible.

August 31, 2019.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr



Nov 26, 2023 at 10:01 AM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


Douglas L wrote:
Would love to see if the 300 GM+2X TC is sharper than the 200-600 at 600mm. May get one to shoot hummingbirds in my yards if it's sharper. I have no use for 300mm, so it may be silly to buy a 300mm lens to use it with a 2X TC all the time.


It is silly. Especially when you own all the native 600mm lenses you do



Nov 26, 2023 at 10:04 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


arbitrage wrote:
It is silly. Especially when you own all the native 600mm lenses you do


I agree with Geoff. There is no free lunch if it is coming down of using TCs. I use them but I donít expect wonders though. One aspect that proves to be true though. At 600mm setting, the 200-600mm lens has a narrower FOV compared to the 300mm plus 2X. That shows that the actual FL on the long end is probably closer to 550mm or so. But we knew that, didnít we 😃?



Nov 26, 2023 at 10:11 AM
berimbolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


AGeoJO wrote:
I agree with Geoff. There is no free lunch if it is coming down of using TCs. I use them but I donít expect wonders though. One aspect that proves to be true though. At 600mm setting, the 200-600mm lens has a narrower FOV compared to the 300mm plus 2X. That shows that the actual FL on the long end is probably closer to 550mm or so. But we knew that, didnít we 😃?


Sorry, are you saying that the 300GM isn't actually 300mm (ie. 300GM + 2xTC ~= 550mm)? Or did you mean to say the 200-600 has a wider FOV compared to the 300+2x?



Nov 26, 2023 at 10:16 AM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


berimbolo wrote:
Sorry, are you saying that the 300GM isn't actually 300mm (ie. 300GM + 2xTC ~= 550mm)? Or did you mean to say the 200-600 has a wider FOV compared to the 300+2x?


It is the later. In other words, at 600mm setting the zoom lens is not actually 600mm but closer to 550mm. I noticed that when compared to the prime GM 600mm lens on the first day I compared both in 2019.



Nov 26, 2023 at 10:40 AM
berimbolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


AGeoJO wrote:
It is the later. In other words, at 600mm setting the zoom lens is not actually 600mm but closer to 550mm. I noticed that when compared to the prime GM 600mm lens on the first day I compared both in 2019.


This is only the case at shorter focusing distances, right? I had read that at around 12-15m out, the 200-600 at 600mm gives a similar FOV to the 600GM.



Nov 26, 2023 at 10:44 AM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


berimbolo wrote:
This is only the case at shorter focusing distances, right? I had read that at around 12-15m out, the 200-600 at 600mm gives a similar FOV to the 600GM.


I did that under controlled conditions on tripod in my backyard and thatís pretty much the only way that I noticed that. And yes, the distance was fairly close. I venture to guess that it was similar to what Alex did and presented above. I couldnít tell the difference under real life shooting conditions after that, but I didnít do any comparison anyway since it didnít make much sense, if any, doing so.


Edited on Nov 26, 2023 at 11:55 AM · View previous versions



Nov 26, 2023 at 11:05 AM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


Thanks for posting the pictures. A great amount of details with the 300mm + TC 1.4 , as well as a nice rendering. As for the AF, Tony & Chealsy show a small degradation when using the TC 2x at 30fps on the A1. Might not be an issue at lower fps, and could be improved later with the final firmware.



Nov 26, 2023 at 11:55 AM
somersettr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


arbitrage wrote:
...

The place this 300GM is going to fail is the same place all of Sony's lenses fail with TCs and that is with AF.
I don't touch TCs at all anymore because of this. The 300GM may be better than 400GM and 600GM but I doubt it will be consistent enough to use as a 600mm lens all the time. Unless your thing is birds on a stick...then I guess it will be feasible.

...r


Geoff. I can understand why adding a teleconverter to a lens would reduce the AF performance relative to the native lens. But in this case, I thnk what most of us here thinking about with the 300mm + 2x is how does the AF performance compare with the 200-600? The 300mm probably has better AF motors than the 200-600 and the aperture is slightly larger even with the 2x. So, I was hoping that the AF would be at least as good as thje 200-600.

What is your experience in this regard? What is the 600mm like with the 1.4x compared to the 200-600 for example? Your thoughts and experience would be very welcome. Is it speed or accuracy degradation? Or both?



Nov 26, 2023 at 11:56 AM
ChrisMak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


The posted samples look really good, much more GM like than the 200-600 i.m.o.
The 300GM with 2xtc seems to hold up realky well on the demanding A1.
So judging by these samples I would prefer the 300GM with tc's over the 200-600G.

I am not sure it will only be a bird on a stick combo, but won't be the best at BIF. That is a given.


Edited on Nov 26, 2023 at 12:04 PM · View previous versions



Nov 26, 2023 at 12:01 PM
somersettr
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


ChrisMak wrote:
The posted samples look really good, much more GM like than the 200-600 i.m.o.
So judging by these samples I would prefer the 300GM with tc's over the 200-600G.

But this is still on the relatively low resolution A9III. The real test will be the performance on the much more demanding A1


The last few images are with the A1!



Nov 26, 2023 at 12:03 PM
berimbolo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony FE 300mm f/2.8 GM Image Thread


ChrisMak wrote:
The posted samples look really good, much more GM like than the 200-600 i.m.o.
So judging by these samples I would prefer the 300GM with tc's over the 200-600G.

But this is still on the relatively low resolution A9III. The real test will be the performance on the much more demanding A1


There are samples with the A1 + 300GM + 2xTC.



Nov 26, 2023 at 12:04 PM
1              3              10       11       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              10       11       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.