Desmolicious wrote:
ok for me backlog is three or four. Not four-ty
Believe me, I envy your ability to shoot and be able to share the shots in a day or two! Unfortunately, our only local lab shut down, (and to be honest I think it was a front for money laundering) so I mail it all out. I would process B&W myself more, but as it is I work more than full time, and am out of town more than two entire months a year. Combine that with the fact that the lab I use also offers a discount for bulk orders..... It's easy for procrastination to set in.
That being said, I kinda like the delay, sometimes there's entire rolls I forgot I shot and am surprised by. Reminds me of developing film when I was young, I was way less prolific in my shooting, so when I got around to developing a roll or two there was always some surprises from months previous.
I will admit, 40 is probably where it should end, if not sooner. The last batch I sent in was 72 rolls, which is way too much.
Wow! OK, my foray into film is rather recent but I don't think I could stand a backlog of forty rolls! I'm already thinking about developing color at home and controlling my own timeline although my local lab turns color around in a matter of hours.
helimat wrote:
Believe me, I envy your ability to shoot and be able to share the shots in a day or two! Unfortunately, our only local lab shut down, (and to be honest I think it was a front for money laundering) so I mail it all out. I would process B&W myself more, but as it is I work more than full time, and am out of town more than two entire months a year. Combine that with the fact that the lab I use also offers a discount for bulk orders..... It's easy for procrastination to set in.
That being said, I kinda like the delay, sometimes there's entire rolls I forgot I shot and am surprised by. Reminds me of developing film when I was young, I was way less prolific in my shooting, so when I got around to developing a roll or two there was always some surprises from months previous.
I will admit, 40 is probably where it should end, if not sooner. The last batch I sent in was 72 rolls, which is way too much....Show more →
It actually is fun discovering what is on film you shot a while ago. Just loaded Hp5 in my M7 and will wait for a bunch of rolls before I dev it. Or so I say…. Color I’m not waiting on, Paul’s Photo in Torrance will get it ASAP!
Although it removes some of the fun: banging your head in the dark, messing up the temperatures of the chemistry, working in the basement in the dead of winter...
Although it removes some of the fun: banging your head in the dark, messing up the temperatures of the chemistry, working in the basement in the dead of winter...
B&W is so easy - dev tank, changing bag. That's it. But for colour film maybe this would be handy?
The scans from the first roll came in today! I just did the cheaper auto scans with them since I plan to scan them myself. Happy to report me opening the bottom only ruined 2-3 of the last photos which were really just me trying to finish the roll, so not much lost there.
This roll I played around with lots of variables - aperture, using a flash, low light etc. I ruined the flash shots by 1/125 shutter speed and ruined a couple shots by trying to keep the aperture too open. The next roll I did some 1/50 flash shots I think got a lot better at metering and stopping down etc.
Will share some of the first roll once I get the negatives, but based on the auto scans I received I already really like the feeling of film!
Also m7 arrived, so will play around with that and also using TTL flash on it. Second roll should make it to the lab tomorrow and only doing processing from now on. Third roll is on #35 and no rush to finish it
Got my negatives from the first roll. These were mostly just snapshots of our day while my in laws were in town. Scanning went well, I used Negative Lab Pro to process. I ordered a light panel that Huss recommended instead of a flash like I used for these. Will use that next time. These were all with the mp + portra 400 + steel rim. I used a different lens for the second roll. Feedback is welcome.
The last 3 are some examples of mistakes on my part. Wrong exposure, opening the bottom cover, using 1/125 shutter with a flash etc.
lifeandmylens wrote:
The last 3 are some examples of mistakes on my part. Wrong exposure, opening the bottom cover, using 1/125 shutter with a flash etc.
Nice set of shots!
From my Leica M2R I've been seeing a number of frames like your second-to-last with the dark rectangle on the left side of the frame; I think this is a shutter issue as occasionally it sounds like my shutter is getting stuck. I'm sending it off to DAG for a complete overhaul later this month and hopefully he'll fix that issue.
From my Leica M2R I've been seeing a number of frames like your second-to-last with the dark rectangle on the left side of the frame; I think this is a shutter issue as occasionally it sounds like my shutter is getting stuck. I'm sending it off to DAG for a complete overhaul later this month and hopefully he'll fix that issue.
Thanks, I’ve got lots to learn!
That one is from the flash sync speed. I had the wrong shutter speed on the camera for flash (and possibly the wrong settings on the flash, can’t remember).
I was making all kinds of mistakes during the past few weeks as I started my foray into film (after some 25-30 yrs away). But then I started developing a better workflow from setup to shooting to developing and scanning. Each step required me to rethink and slow down. I'm now scanning all my 35mm negatives using the Valoi Easy 35. Now I just need to keep the dust off the negatives.
Leica M4-P + Voigtlander 50/1.2
Kodak Pro Image 100
Scanned with Sony A1+Valoi Easy35
lifeandmylens wrote:
Got my negatives from the first roll. These were mostly just snapshots of our day while my in laws were in town. Scanning went well, I used Negative Lab Pro to process. I ordered a light panel that Huss recommended instead of a flash like I used for these. Will use that next time. These were all with the mp + portra 400 + steel rim. I used a different lens for the second roll. Feedback is welcome.
The last 3 are some examples of mistakes on my part. Wrong exposure, opening the bottom cover, using 1/125 shutter with a flash etc. ...Show more →
Excellent result! I actually really like the last one. A happy mistake. (The photo not the kid)
The thing about film - when you finish the roll rewind it. No reason to wait, and the longer you wait, the greater the chance you open it up before you rewind it…
lifeandmylens wrote:
Got my negatives from the first roll. These were mostly just snapshots of our day while my in laws were in town. Scanning went well, I used Negative Lab Pro to process. I ordered a light panel that Huss recommended instead of a flash like I used for these. Will use that next time. These were all with the mp + portra 400 + steel rim. I used a different lens for the second roll. Feedback is welcome.
The last 3 are some examples of mistakes on my part. Wrong exposure, opening the bottom cover, using 1/125 shutter with a flash etc. ...Show more →
Off to a good start! A few lessons learned and ready for the next roll.
From my Leica M2R I've been seeing a number of frames like your second-to-last with the dark rectangle on the left side of the frame; I think this is a shutter issue as occasionally it sounds like my shutter is getting stuck. I'm sending it off to DAG for a complete overhaul later this month and hopefully he'll fix that issue.
The banding is from the second curtain dragging at higher speeds. Considering the camera is fifty six years old, not a surprise.
Desmolicious wrote:
The thing about film - when you finish the roll rewind it. No reason to wait, and the longer you wait, the greater the chance you open it up before you rewind it…
Ask me how I know.
No 2 of 'first rules of film photography'
No 1 is when you load, tighten up film with rewind knob (gently) and watch rewind knob as you advance 2 frames to the start.
Even more important with 'autoload' systems, I lost a whole roll of important stuff in an M6 when 'too busy' to watch film advancing, and that after 40 years of film use.
gyoung143 wrote:
No 2 of 'first rules of film photography'
No 1 is when you load, tighten up film with rewind knob (gently) and watch rewind knob as you advance 2 frames to the start.
Even more important with 'autoload' systems, I lost a whole roll of important stuff in an M6 when 'too busy' to watch film advancing, and that after 40 years of film use.
Gerry
I've started doing this also, thanks for the reminder!
This first roll and possibly the second roll I shot Portra 400 at 200 ISO based on a recommendation from a friend. I took some test shots at different ISO's but the light leak ruined the rest of them.
I'm now trying to shoot at box speed and see any differences. The lens I used on this first roll is quite low contrast, and the lens I used on roll 2 is much higher contrast.
When I was editing my scans in NLP, I had to increase exposure, brightness by quite a bit on many of these, which also seemed to increase the grain and lower the contrast. Could just be that these weren't in the best lighting conditions, but am curious if scanning with the LED panel for light source next time will make a difference. Also could be that I opened the bottom cover!
rji2goleez wrote:
I was making all kinds of mistakes during the past few weeks as I started my foray into film (after some 25-30 yrs away). But then I started developing a better workflow from setup to shooting to developing and scanning. Each step required me to rethink and slow down. I'm now scanning all my 35mm negatives using the Valoi Easy 35. Now I just need to keep the dust off the negatives.
Leica M4-P + Voigtlander 50/1.2
Kodak Pro Image 100
Scanned with Sony A1+Valoi Easy35