fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       …       31       32       end
  

Archive 2023 · Curious about Film

  
 
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · Curious about Film


helimat wrote:
Oskar certainly blew it on that one


One thing that Leica really did blow was putting the lens-release button on the same side of the camera as the shutter release button. I can't tell you how many times I've disengaged lenses accidentally just by picking up and holding the camera with my right hand. The cameras are small and my fingers are long; it's taken me several months to train myself to avoid hitting that button by mistake.



Oct 02, 2023 at 02:56 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #2 · Curious about Film




bjhurley wrote:
One thing that Leica really did blow was putting the lens-release button on the same side of the camera as the shutter release button. I can't tell you how many times I've disengaged lenses accidentally just by picking up and holding the camera with my right hand. The cameras are small and my fingers are long; it's taken me several months to train myself to avoid hitting that button by mistake.


Don Goldberg installed a M3 lens release collar on my M4 and M4-2 and it solved Thad problem of accidentally hitting the release button. Apparently, the body needs to have a relief cut around the release button so the collar will sit at the proper height so as not to interfere with mounting or removing the lens.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:04 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
One thing that Leica really did blow was putting the lens-release button on the same side of the camera as the shutter release button. I can't tell you how many times I've disengaged lenses accidentally just by picking up and holding the camera with my right hand. The cameras are small and my fingers are long; it's taken me several months to train myself to avoid hitting that button by mistake.


Can't blame Oskar for that one!

Never had that issue myself, but I don't have the biggest of hands.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:05 PM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #4 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
Don Goldberg installed a M3 lens release collar on my M4 and M4-2 and it solved Thad problem of accidentally hitting the release button. Apparently, the body needs to have a relief cut around the release button so the collar will sit at the proper height so as not to interfere with mounting or removing the lens.


I remember you mentioned this in another thread (or upthread in this one); I may ask him to do that. I'm planning to send my camera (M2R) to him for a CLA and to fix a few things...the shutter is becoming erratic and there's a bit of play in the M-mount so some of my lenses are a bit loose.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:09 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #5 · Curious about Film


My M7s have the collar. Which cameras did they cheap out on and remove the collars?


Oct 02, 2023 at 03:12 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #6 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
I remember you mentioned this in another thread (or upthread in this one); I may ask him to do that. I'm planning to send my camera (M2R) to him for a CLA and to fix a few things...the shutter is becoming erratic and there's a bit of play in the M-mount so some of my lenses are a bit loose.


I was going to say, even if I did accidentally hit my lens release button I don't think the lens would move due to how tight the mount is. Definitely worth having a look at.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:12 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #7 · Curious about Film



Desmolicious wrote:
My M7s have the collar. Which cameras did they cheap out on and remove the collars?


1957, when they introduced the M2. The last few years the M3 was made, it didn’t have a collar. They came back with the M6 TTL.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:18 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #8 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
There's a lot to be said for delayed gratification, not just for photos but for sex and lots of other things in life. :-)

We just got back from a week's vacation and I shot eight rolls of film; I left my digital cameras at home. My lab is swamped so it may be the end of the week before I see them; I dropped them off on Saturday and then too late I discovered that I'd forgotten one roll in my camera bag and the lab is closed today so I'll have to wait even longer to see the photos
...Show more →

I'm thinking about holding on developing my B&W until I have a large amount. Just because DF96 Monobath starts to degrade once you crack the seal. It is meant to only last three months, whether you use it or not. Lately I have not been shooting as much B&W so it would be a good thing to do.

Normally I dev the rolls same night that I finish them, but recently a couple have waited a week. And even only after one week passing, it is fun 'forgetting' all the images you shot, and then seeing them again.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:20 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #9 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
1957, when they introduced the M2. The last few years the M3 was made, it didn’t have a collar. They came back with the M6 TTL.


My 1985 M6 Classic has a collar.

Sounds like the issue isn't as much the location - But someone's decision to remove the collar around the release button. I didn't realize it was removed for a period.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:26 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #10 · Curious about Film




Desmolicious wrote:
I'm thinking about holding on developing my B&W until I have a large amount. Just because DF96 Monobath starts to degrade once you crack the seal. It is meant to only last three months, whether you use it or not. Lately I have not been shooting as much B&W so it would be a good thing to do.

Normally I dev the rolls same night that I finish them, but recently a couple have waited a week. And even only after one week passing, it is fun 'forgetting' all the images you shot, and then seeing them again.


Just don’t be like Gary Winogrand.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:30 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #11 · Curious about Film



helimat wrote:
My 1985 M6 Classic has a collar.

Sounds like the issue isn't as much the location - But someone's decision to remove the collar around the release button. I didn't realize it was removed for a period.


Leica did it as an economy move to make the M2 more affordable. My first M6 was an early Wetzlar, it didn’t have a collar or the strap bumpers.
Oops, just checked, they did have a collar!


Edited on Oct 02, 2023 at 03:38 PM · View previous versions



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:33 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #12 · Curious about Film


helimat wrote:
My 1985 M6 Classic has a collar.

Sounds like the issue isn't as much the location - But someone's decision to remove the collar around the release button. I didn't realize it was removed for a period.


Yeah, I'm futzing around w mine and the collar prevents you from accidentally releasing the lens.

I forgot that was an issue I had with the Minolta CLE - tiny camera and my fingers always hit the collarless lens release button.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:34 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #13 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
Leica did it as an economy move to make the M2 more affordable. My first M6 was an early Wetzlar, it didn’t have a collar or the strap bumpers.


Interesting. Mine is also early - Wetzlar, no bumpers, 'Leitz' red dot, old light meter without the 'dot', but with a collar.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:39 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #14 · Curious about Film




helimat wrote:
Interesting. Mine is also early - Wetzlar, no bumpers, 'Leitz' red dot, old light meter without the 'dot', but with a collar.


I just edited my post when I actually looked at a picture of the first run M6 instead of relying on my memory.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:41 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #15 · Curious about Film


helimat wrote:
Interesting. Mine is also early - Wetzlar, no bumpers, 'Leitz' red dot, old light meter without the 'dot', but with a collar.


perhaps the dood who signed off on those cute QC check cards missed the collarless Ms...



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:45 PM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #16 · Curious about Film


Desmolicious wrote:
I'm thinking about holding on developing my B&W until I have a large amount. Just because DF96 Monobath starts to degrade once you crack the seal. It is meant to only last three months, whether you use it or not. .


On the other hand, some of the films I use say "develop promptly after exposure." Certainly the case for high-ISO films but I've seen that advice for others as well.

I do have an exposed roll of FP4 here that I've been deliberately delaying getting developed, because whenever I include a B&W roll with my C-41 rolls the lab waits to send them back to me until they're all done, and the B&W rolls always take at least a week or sometimes two. I'll probably start developing my own B&W film next year when I retire but at this point I don't have the time or inclination.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:48 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #17 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
On the other hand, some of the films I use say "develop promptly after exposure." Certainly the case for high-ISO films but I've seen that advice for others as well.

I do have an exposed roll of FP4 here that I've been deliberately delaying getting developed, because whenever I include a B&W roll with my C-41 rolls the lab waits to send them back to me until they're all done, and the B&W rolls always take at least a week or sometimes two. I'll probably start developing my own B&W film next year when I retire but at this point I
...Show more →

I also appreciate delayed gratification, in fact I'm currently sitting on a backlog of 40 rolls that need to be developed. I do the same with digital, I let the images pile up and edit in large batches. And while editing large batches I get distracted by podcasts & FM threads....

I heard the same about developing promptly, but so far haven't had any problems having exposed film sit for a number of months.



Oct 02, 2023 at 03:57 PM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #18 · Curious about Film


bjhurley wrote:
There's a lot to be said for delayed gratification, not just for photos but for sex and lots of other things in life. :-)

We just got back from a week's vacation and I shot eight rolls of film; I left my digital cameras at home. My lab is swamped so it may be the end of the week before I see them; I dropped them off on Saturday and then too late I discovered that I'd forgotten one roll in my camera bag and the lab is closed today so I'll have to wait even longer to see the photos
...Show more →

Thanks for sharing! I feel the same way already.



Oct 02, 2023 at 04:02 PM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #19 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
The M6 TTL and the M7 have a shutter speed dial that turns in the same direction as the exposure arrows.
When I owned a M6 TTL, I also had a tiny Chiyoko Super Rokkor 45mm 2.8. The lens didn't have click stops and it made it really easy to dial in the correct exposure.


I've been liking it so much I ended up also getting a m7, so will have to remember which turns which way haha.



Oct 02, 2023 at 04:03 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #20 · Curious about Film


lifeandmylens wrote:
I've been liking it so much I ended up also getting a m7, so will have to remember which turns which way haha.


This man needs an intervention, STAT!



Oct 02, 2023 at 06:00 PM
1       2       3       …       8              10       …       31       32       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       8              10       …       31       32       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account