fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       30              32       end
  

Archive 2023 · Curious about Film

  
 
philipj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #1 · Curious about Film


The D700 I shot on for years and years with what I consider a nice kit of AI-s glass (28 f/2.8 with CRC, 50 f/1.2, 105 f/1.8, and 180 f/2.8) started misbehaving and I don't find the Z cameras + FTZ adaptor very compelling, so I instead picked up an F2AS and some HP5+ to keep those lenses in action. Let's see what this film stuff is all about.


Apr 25, 2024 at 04:18 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #2 · Curious about Film


philipj wrote:
The D700 I shot on for years and years with what I consider a nice kit of AI-s glass (28 f/2.8 with CRC, 50 f/1.2, 105 f/1.8, and 180 f/2.8) started misbehaving and I don't find the Z cameras + FTZ adaptor very compelling, so I instead picked up an F2AS and some HP5+ to keep those lenses in action. Let's see what this film stuff is all about.


Welcome to the light side!



Apr 25, 2024 at 06:32 PM
Dm386
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #3 · Curious about Film


Start with black and white and develop and scan yourself and it’s not very expensive.


Apr 26, 2024 at 12:29 PM
philipj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #4 · Curious about Film


Dm386 wrote:
Start with black and white and develop and scan yourself and it’s not very expensive.


Yeah, that's why I'm starting with HP5+. Picked up a macro lens for my digital Leica setup for scanning too. Will be a little while before I get the first two rolls finished and dev'd and scanned, the delayed gratification is interesting to experience compared to shooting digital for the past 20 years. I have always been a manual focus shooter, and even with a digital camera I have been pretty selective taking photos, so it'll take some time to get through these first two rolls. Hopefully something interesting comes out.



Apr 27, 2024 at 03:32 PM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #5 · Curious about Film


Developed my first rolls of c-41 last night. Used the Bellini chemicals. Was super easy and fun. The times of mailing to a lab and waiting a week are over!







Jun 06, 2024 at 05:02 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #6 · Curious about Film


lifeandmylens wrote:
Developed my first rolls of c-41 last night. Used the Bellini chemicals. Was super easy and fun. The times of mailing to a lab and waiting a week are over!


Congrats Shawn. Success at first try!



Jun 06, 2024 at 09:35 AM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #7 · Curious about Film




lifeandmylens wrote:
Developed my first rolls of c-41 last night. Used the Bellini chemicals. Was super easy and fun. The times of mailing to a lab and waiting a week are over!


Bellini states in the information the kit is good for 16 24 exposure rolls. Let us know how many 36 exposure rolls it’ll do.
Nice results!



Jun 06, 2024 at 11:47 AM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #8 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
Bellini states in the information the kit is good for 16 24 exposure rolls. Let us know how many 36 exposure rolls it’ll do.
Nice results!


Thanks will do. I bought a separate liter of developer to extend the life of the kit. Will see when I need to use it. I'm guessing I'll know when colors get a little strange?

Based on some research it looks like maybe next batch I should do a wash in between bleach and fix to extend the life of the fix, but will see.

So going forward, I add 2% dev time to each roll that's been processed with the same chemicals?



Jun 06, 2024 at 01:17 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #9 · Curious about Film



lifeandmylens wrote:
Thanks will do. I bought a separate liter of developer to extend the life of the kit. Will see when I need to use it. I'm guessing I'll know when colors get a little strange?

Based on some research it looks like maybe next batch I should do a wash in between bleach and fix to extend the life of the fix, but will see.

So going forward, I add 2% dev time to each roll that's been processed with the same chemicals?


Both the edge markings and the space between the negatives are your best indicator of chemistry efficacy. Good idea to give each subsequent roll a little bump in time. Just guessing, easily ten and maybe as many as twelve. The staff at the shop is going to miss you 😢



Jun 06, 2024 at 01:32 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #10 · Curious about Film


lifeandmylens wrote:
Developed my first rolls of c-41 last night. Used the Bellini chemicals. Was super easy and fun. The times of mailing to a lab and waiting a week are over!


Noice!

That was the main reason I started dev my own film - no waiting/shipping etc, As well as it being much cheaper. And more fun. And more satisfying.



Jun 06, 2024 at 01:40 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #11 · Curious about Film


Desmolicious wrote:
Noice!

That was the main reason I started dev my own film - no waiting/shipping etc, As well as it being much cheaper. And more fun. And more satisfying.


And, you always know who to blame for mistakes!



Jun 06, 2024 at 01:58 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #12 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
And, you always know who to blame for mistakes!


Yup, now I know it's always my Leica M6 that scratches my film, not Josh at the lab.




Jun 06, 2024 at 03:57 PM
ottokbre
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #13 · Curious about Film


I used a C-41 kit to develop about a dozen rolls that I had been carrying around for a decade or more. I had moved through 4 states and a few countries and just didn't want to spend the $120-200 to develop it knowing very little might turn out. So I used a C41 kit.

The part that surprised me is just how relatively easy it was to keep the developer a stable temperature. The main downside was how quick C41 working times are. You really have to factor in time to fill and empty the tank.



Jun 07, 2024 at 12:53 PM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #14 · Curious about Film


madNbad wrote:
Bellini states in the information the kit is good for 16 24 exposure rolls. Let us know how many 36 exposure rolls it’ll do.
Nice results!


I split the kit into 2 x 500ml sets. I've gotten 8 rolls out of the first set and I probably could've gotten more, but decided to stop. So looks like at least 16 rolls per kit assuming you're not pushing or doing all 800 speed films. The next set of 500ml I'll do 8 again and then do a couple test rolls pushing it to 10 and see how those last two turn out.

I add 15 seconds to dev time for every 4 rolls.



Jun 16, 2024 at 04:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #15 · Curious about Film


This thread is too awesome not to revive from the archives!


Dec 19, 2024 at 01:24 PM
madNbad
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #16 · Curious about Film


Since the thread started, I've updated the scanning camera to a A7CII, changed out the Negative Supply Pro Riser MK 1 for a newer, better Basic Riser MK 3 and I'm waiting for the 4X5 Lightsource Pro to arrive. The A7CII allows tethering with Lightroom and has really improved the workflow.
And, along with his ever improving developing and scanning skills, Shawn's children have grown!





Dec 19, 2024 at 03:25 PM
brick33308
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #17 · Curious about Film


what do you experienced film developers think about a film retriever where, even outside the changing back, you retrieve just the end of the film from the roll and just get it started on the spool before transferring the spool to the changing bag?




Dec 19, 2024 at 04:53 PM
Tina Kino
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #18 · Curious about Film


brick33308 wrote:
what do you experienced film developers think about a film retriever where, even outside the changing back, you retrieve just the end of the film from the roll and just get it started on the spool before transferring the spool to the changing bag?


I'd say a film retriever is a good thing to have in general.. not familiar with this particular model - but your question is regarding the practice shown in the video - to be honest, once I got the hang of it I didn't find it too difficult to cut off the film leader and manicure the edges, and fiddle the film into the spool in the bag.. think that's also quicker than getting the leader out with the retriever beforehand
But whatever works is fine!



Dec 19, 2024 at 05:06 PM
OffTrail
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #19 · Curious about Film


brick33308 wrote:
what do you experienced film developers think about a film retriever where, even outside the changing back, you retrieve just the end of the film from the roll and just get it started on the spool before transferring the spool to the changing bag?



I just peel the cannister open in the bag. You can also use a bottle opener or a cannister opener to do the same thing, but peeling is easy enough. Also using a Hewes steel reel, which is super easy to load in the bag as well. Easier than the clip reels or the Paterson reels, so really no need to mess around prepping anything.

I do use a retriever if I've rewound mid-roll to pick up in another camera, though. Very useful there.



Dec 19, 2024 at 05:15 PM
Tina Kino
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #20 · Curious about Film


OffTrail wrote:
I just peel the cannister open in the bag. You can also use a bottle opener or a cannister opener to do the same thing, but peeling is easy enough. Also using a Hewes steel reel, which is super easy to load in the bag as well. Easier than the clip reels or the Paterson reels, so really no need to mess around prepping anything.

I do use a retriever if I've rewound mid-roll to pick up in another camera, though. Very useful there.


I once cut my thumb open really bad on the sharp edge of the canister while "peeling" it open, blood all over the film, been using an opener ever since 😅

The steel reels are easier to get the first few centimeters in, but I've always found the white plastic Jobo ones the easiest for "transporting" the whole roll in (need to keep them nice and clean though).



Dec 19, 2024 at 05:25 PM
1       2       3       …       30              32       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       30              32       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account