fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       29              31       32       end
  

Archive 2023 · Curious about Film

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #1 · Curious about Film


rji2goleez wrote:
With the Valoi setup, weight is not a real issue. I use it sitting on a table. The extension tubes are metal as is the attachment to the film housing. There is no 'play' in this setup.


I appreciate the lack of play in handling the film, and I particularly like that once it's loaded, all the frames remain flat and aligned. As you mentioned, this feature will greatly simplify the scanning process for the entire roll without needing to cut it. I plan to do the cutting and storing after scanning using the Valoi.



Feb 09, 2024 at 10:33 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #2 · Curious about Film


lifeandmylens wrote:
Fred/Bob - any issues with vignetting from the built in light source? Saw some reports of that and was just curious.


I havent looked real hard and haven't noticed anything significant. I tend to like a bit of vignetting anyway.



Feb 09, 2024 at 07:57 PM
geekcop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #3 · Curious about Film


Can anyone recommend a quality lab that develops ECN-2 film? I have ten rolls of 250D film with the halation layer still on the film. The film was expensive-ish and I'd really like to find out what the film can do but I need a good lab that won't screw it up.


Feb 10, 2024 at 09:22 AM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #4 · Curious about Film




geekcop wrote:
Can anyone recommend a quality lab that develops ECN-2 film? I have ten rolls of 250D film with the halation layer still on the film. The film was expensive-ish and I'd really like to find out what the film can do but I need a good lab that won't screw it up.


I’d recommend Boutique Film Lab in Nashville with the caveat I haven’t had them process any ECN-2 but I know they do it.



Feb 10, 2024 at 09:32 AM
coralnut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #5 · Curious about Film


With a tabletop setup where the light source rests on the same plane with the camera and the focusing mechanism is not directly supporting the weight of any components you probably won't run into problems. But even a simple setup like the ES-1 on a 60mm lens with metal extension rings is going to degrade the focusing mechanism from tight when you first buy the ES-1 to loose after you've shot a bazillion slides through it. It's not so much of a problem if you're just holding the assembly up to the sky and using daylight, but if you do what many people do -- set the lens down on a lightpad so that the weight of the camera sits on the focusing helix, that's the kiss of death. The weight of the camera sitting on your focusing mechanism is bad and will eventually make things loose. BTDT. Even hanging the lens vertically off of a repro stand is going to eventually cause the focusing mechanism to loosen because it's fighting the weight of the lens and the ES-1 hanging on it. I learned this the hard way.

IME the safest way to do this is to use a setup where the lens does not bear any weight whatsoever, and if some sort of adapter has to be suspended from something, it's best to suspend it from a solid mount and not from the lens. If you're hanging things off of the lens, it's going to loosen up. I think a copystand with a film carrier sitting on a tabletop, or a bellows system that directly supports each component, or some sort of rail system that supports each component (and avoids putting any weight on either the end of the lens or the focusing mechanism) is the safest way to go.



Feb 10, 2024 at 09:53 PM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #6 · Curious about Film


My local lab just started offering ECN-2 again as well as E6, opening up more possibilities (albeit at higher prices). Not much slide film available here these days (just Ektachrome, I believe) but I might try a roll; the ECN-2 opens up all the Kodak Vision 3 films and some others I'd like to try.


Feb 14, 2024 at 05:12 PM
OregonSun
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #7 · Curious about Film


coralnut wrote:
With a tabletop setup where the light source rests on the same plane with the camera and the focusing mechanism is not directly supporting the weight of any components you probably won't run into problems. But even a simple setup like the ES-1 on a 60mm lens with metal extension rings is going to degrade the focusing mechanism from tight when you first buy the ES-1 to loose after you've shot a bazillion slides through it. It's not so much of a problem if you're just holding the assembly up to the sky and using daylight, but if you do
...Show more →

Using an internal focusing lens would be another solution if you're worried about this.



Feb 14, 2024 at 05:50 PM
Geoff D F
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #8 · Curious about Film


OregonSun wrote:
Using an internal focusing lens would be another solution if you're worried about this.


Agree. The Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro is my solution and is an internally focussing lens.



Feb 14, 2024 at 06:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #9 · Curious about Film


OregonSun wrote:
Using an internal focusing lens would be another solution if you're worried about this.


I agree with this. However once you focus on the film, there is no more change in focus.



Feb 18, 2024 at 01:59 PM
clu3.clew
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #10 · Curious about Film


@bjhurley Does the lab take mail-in orders? I'm having trouble finding labs around me


Mar 07, 2024 at 03:50 AM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #11 · Curious about Film


clu3.clew wrote:
@bjhurley@ Does the lab take mail-in orders? I'm having trouble finding labs around me


They do, but they're in Canada! (I live in Montréal). I'm sure you can find mail-in labs in the US that do ECN-2.



Mar 07, 2024 at 07:01 AM
clu3.clew
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #12 · Curious about Film


Oh hey, I was in Montreal this past summer! I'll have to keep looking around, but it's good to know I can get films developed when I go there agaon, thanks!


Mar 07, 2024 at 02:19 PM
SeanG
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #13 · Curious about Film


geekcop wrote:
Can anyone recommend a quality lab that develops ECN-2 film? I have ten rolls of 250D film with the halation layer still on the film. The film was expensive-ish and I'd really like to find out what the film can do but I need a good lab that won't screw it up.


I haven't tried them yet, but after doing some research I was planning to try Midwest Film Co (https://www.midwestfilmco.com). They specialize in ECN-2, to the point of having a real motion picture scanner they use on your still images.



Mar 11, 2024 at 10:38 AM
geekcop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #14 · Curious about Film


SeanG wrote:
I haven't tried them yet, but after doing some research I was planning to try Midwest Film Co (https://www.midwestfilmco.com). They specialize in ECN-2, to the point of having a real motion picture scanner they use on your still images.


I just looked them up. They will process ECN-2 for $8 which is a good price. Everyone else I've looked at is $10/roll. I do my own scanning so this might work well for my uses. Thanks for the tip.



Mar 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #15 · Curious about Film


clu3.clew wrote:
Oh hey, I was in Montreal this past summer! I'll have to keep looking around, but it's good to know I can get films developed when I go there agaon, thanks!


We have several labs in town, but I get mine processed at Studio Argentique. Really friendly, fast service (I sometimes get my scans back a few hours after I drop off my rolls, although in summer it can take much longer, even up to a week, since that's their super-busy season). Studio Argentique also sells film cameras (great selection, although I find the prices to be high) and lenses. It's a popular place; not unusual for there to be a line out the door in summer. I'm typically the only person in there over the age of 25.

They charge CAD $20 per roll for ECN-2, which is pricey even considering it's Canadian dollars. I don't think I'll be shooting much ECN-2 or having C-41 films processed in ECN-2.



Mar 11, 2024 at 11:05 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #16 · Curious about Film


Question about the CineStill Film Cs41 Powder Developing Kit:

I mixed the chemicals 4 and 1/2 months ago and have processed 12 rolls of film already. How many more rolls can I develop using the remaining chemicals, and when do the chemicals expire?

I assume I can process another 12 rolls, but I'm curious about the expiration date for the chemicals. They're stored in black containers in a dark location.

Appreciate any advice!



Mar 29, 2024 at 09:52 PM
coralnut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #17 · Curious about Film


One thing that I like to do is to seal the chemicals in a bottle with a tight cap, with the chemicals filled to the top to eliminate any air, and some parafilm or electrical tape around the cap/bottle to form an airtight seal. The idea is to protect the chemicals from oxidization via exposure to the oxygen in air. Another possibly helpful step would be to store the bottle under refrigeration. I don't have any actual proof that this extends the life of the chemicals, but in theory eliminating the air and refrigerating the solution could slow down the process of spoilage. I have no evidence that this works, but it seems like a sound theory. Anyone?


Mar 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #18 · Curious about Film


coralnut wrote:
One thing that I like to do is to seal the chemicals in a bottle with a tight cap, with the chemicals filled to the top to eliminate any air, and some parafilm or electrical tape around the cap/bottle to form an airtight seal. The idea is to protect the chemicals from oxidization via exposure to the oxygen in air. Another possibly helpful step would be to store the bottle under refrigeration. I don't have any actual proof that this extends the life of the chemicals, but in theory eliminating the air and refrigerating the solution could slow down the
...Show more →

That's a fantastic tip, securing the cap to the bottle even more tightly with tape. I use the CineStill accordion storage bottle, which reduces the amount of air inside.

My question is: Is it realistic to expect approximately one year of chemical storage (after mixing from the powder)? Currently, I've reached nearly five months.



Mar 30, 2024 at 01:04 PM
cborel83
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #19 · Curious about Film


as someone else said A zeiss ikon body is awesome because they go up to 1/2000th as opposed to M bodies doing 1/1000th


Apr 01, 2024 at 09:09 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #20 · Curious about Film


cborel83 wrote:
as someone else said A zeiss ikon body is awesome because they go up to 1/2000th as opposed to M bodies doing 1/1000th


That was the only postive I could see with that camera when I had one. Did not like the flarey rf patch, the exposure readout that got washed out in daylight, the lightweight build quality (film advance mechanism failed on mine exactly the same way it did on my Bessa L - they share the same plastic gears).
But the thing that bugged me the most is the rf system is much more basic than in an M - in an M the rf patch moves w the frame lines as they move to compensate for parallax. So the patch is always centered. With the Zeiss it is fixed in one position so often is off center.



Apr 01, 2024 at 10:04 AM
1       2       3       …       29              31       32       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       29              31       32       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account