Fred Miranda wrote:
Can Youxin make it reversible?
Yes they just mask them off. I’ve had DAG mask off the 75 in most of my Ms. Makes the 50 so much nicer to use, and if I go longer it would be 90 anyway.
Fred Miranda wrote:
Sure, got it. Here's a clearer version: Thanks! I'm searching for affordable film, and Fuji seems like a good choice. I got a 3-pack of Superia 400 for $18.99 at Walmart. Not sure if there's a better deal out there. How about we create a thread discussing film prices? Whenever we find a good deal, we can share it as an alert. What do you think?
My entire roll was developed without issues, except for this frame. Not sure if this happened in camera or during dev. It's the only picture with this issue so I'm not sure what caused it. Any ideas? Perhaps scanning? I need to check the negative again.
If it is on the negative, it looks like some type of internal lens box flare. The give away is that sharp edge. It has happened to me on rare occasions w my M3 as well as other cameras like my F2.
Got my MP BP back from YYE. (Re)Bought it here on the boards, tested it when I received it and the slow shutter speeds wouldn't work. The camera is under warranty. So I called Leica about it and they told me it's a 9 month wait minimum for analog cameras. To me, that negates the benefit of an any warranty, at least on an analog camera. Leica should really allow YYE and DAG in the states to perform warranty work, or reimburse for the cost of it. Luckily the seller was great to work with and offered to pay for the repair (in lieu of returning it) and agreed 9 months was ridiculous.
Youxin's notes which I found interesting about Leica's new cameras:
The slow speed escapement in the camera is defective, regardless of how I clean and adjust it, it just does not work at all. I have the escapement replaced with a new MP part, the new part works well at all slow speed ranges now. I have shutter speeds and brake checked and adjusted. The new Leica camera's common problem is, during assembly, adjusted fast speeds with too tight tolerance, after a few months, a camera may start capping at 1/1000. I have the speeds adjusted, with proper room, so that the camera does not need frequent shutter speed adjustment. Masked 75/135 frame lines. Checked focus in good order. Checked meter in good working order.
Anyway, happy to have it back and in working order. Also love the 135/75 framelines removed! I do think it’s a shame what Leica is doing with warranty repair times - seems almost on purpose to discourage you from making a warranty claim.
lifeandmylens wrote:
Got my MP BP back from YYE. (Re)Bought it here on the boards, tested it when I received it and the slow shutter speeds wouldn't work. The camera is under warranty. So I called Leica about it and they told me it's a 9 month wait minimum for analog cameras. To me, that negates the benefit of an any warranty, at least on an analog camera. Leica should really allow YYE and DAG in the states to perform warranty work, or reimburse for the cost of it. Luckily the seller was great to work with and offered to pay for the repair (in lieu of returning it) and agreed 9 months was ridiculous.
Youxin's notes which I found interesting about Leica's new cameras:
The slow speed escapement in the camera is defective, regardless of how I clean and adjust it, it just does not work at all. I have the escapement replaced with a new MP part, the new part works well at all slow speed ranges now. I have shutter speeds and brake checked and adjusted. The new Leica camera's common problem is, during assembly, adjusted fast speeds with too tight tolerance, after a few months, a camera may start capping at 1/1000. I have the speeds adjusted, with proper room, so that the camera does not need frequent shutter speed adjustment. Masked 75/135 frame lines. Checked focus in good order. Checked meter in good working order.
Anyway, happy to have it back and in working order. Also love the 135/75 framelines removed! I do think it’s a shame what Leica is doing with warranty repair times - seems almost on purpose to discourage you from making a warranty claim. ...Show more →
YYe is the best! Had several Leica film cameras plus one lens cleaned and repaired. Never even tried or explored Leica in NJ. The pricing alone there was a bummer for me already years ago. 9 months wait time is ridiculous. Means the service pretty much is non existent. If they do these long wait times, Leica should send the same or at least a very similar camera model to use during this time. Of course they would never do it.
retrofocus wrote:
YYe is the best! Had several Leica film cameras plus one lens cleaned and repaired. Never even tried or explored Leica in NJ. The pricing alone there was a bummer for me already years ago. 9 months wait time is ridiculous. Means the service pretty much is non existent. If they do these long wait times, Leica should send the same or at least a very similar camera model to use during this time. Of course they would never do it.
He is fantastic! Always responds quickly to any email even if it's just a random question. Agree about Leica service.
Fantastic news! I am glad your MP is back better than ever!
Just as a curiosity, how much was the service?
lifeandmylens wrote:
Got my MP BP back from YYE. (Re)Bought it here on the boards, tested it when I received it and the slow shutter speeds wouldn't work. The camera is under warranty. So I called Leica about it and they told me it's a 9 month wait minimum for analog cameras. To me, that negates the benefit of an any warranty, at least on an analog camera. Leica should really allow YYE and DAG in the states to perform warranty work, or reimburse for the cost of it. Luckily the seller was great to work with and offered to pay for the repair (in lieu of returning it) and agreed 9 months was ridiculous.
Youxin's notes which I found interesting about Leica's new cameras:
The slow speed escapement in the camera is defective, regardless of how I clean and adjust it, it just does not work at all. I have the escapement replaced with a new MP part, the new part works well at all slow speed ranges now. I have shutter speeds and brake checked and adjusted. The new Leica camera's common problem is, during assembly, adjusted fast speeds with too tight tolerance, after a few months, a camera may start capping at 1/1000. I have the speeds adjusted, with proper room, so that the camera does not need frequent shutter speed adjustment. Masked 75/135 frame lines. Checked focus in good order. Checked meter in good working order.
Anyway, happy to have it back and in working order. Also love the 135/75 framelines removed! I do think it’s a shame what Leica is doing with warranty repair times - seems almost on purpose to discourage you from making a warranty claim. ...Show more →
lifeandmylens wrote:
Got my MP BP back from YYE. (Re)Bought it here on the boards, tested it when I received it and the slow shutter speeds wouldn't work. The camera is under warranty. So I called Leica about it and they told me it's a 9 month wait minimum for analog cameras. To me, that negates the benefit of an any warranty, at least on an analog camera...
.. I do think it’s a shame what Leica is doing with warranty repair times - seems almost on purpose to discourage you from making a warranty claim.
But the camera did ship with that signed QC card...
The new M6, M-A, M7 have the shutter button trim ring in black. The MP is in chrome. I prefer the black and have been considering replacing my MP's one. DAG sells then for about $45. Then I think, why? That's film money!
Did you notice the issues with the shutter speed on your images? I didn't notice anything wrong with my M2 and have not yet delevoped a rool from the MP.
Fred Miranda wrote:
Did you notice the issues with the shutter speed on your images? I didn't notice anything wrong with my M2 and have not yet delevoped a rool from the MP.
This is my second MP. My first one was fine, so were the images. When I first got this camera, I tested all the speeds especially the fast and slow speeds. 1 second and 1/2 second wouldn’t work at all, the shutter wouldn’t close. So I knew there was a problem. I also ran a roll of cheap film through per Huss’ advice before messing with a repair to make sure it didn’t scratch. Luckily it doesn’t scratch film. I just have to make sure I don’t sell this one now!
The shutters on a lot of the older Leicas need servicing. DAG overhauled and CLA'd my M2-R; he had to replace the second shutter curtain, as the rubber side was breaking down and sticky. I noticed it was dragging at higher shutter speeds, causing frames to be underexposed on one side and overexposed on the other. It's on its way back to me now.
When I got my M2-R it came with three Leica lenses; the one I was most excited about (dual-range Summicron) was very hazy so I sent that off to YY for CLA. Should be getting that back soon as well; I just hope the haze didn't damage the glass as I know that sometimes happens.