It is understandable for older Leicas to need shutter service as they could be 50+ years old.
But it is completely unacceptable for Leica to ship defective new cameras and lenses, especially as they brag about their QC controls. And then to make things worse - state a 9 month repair time.
I processed my second and third film rolls today simultaneously. It was quicker than the first time because the chemicals were ready, and I used a smaller bucket. Planning to scan the photos later today!
Both Portra 400 but I noticed that one roll had a longer film strip than the other:
Fred Miranda wrote:
Hey Shawn,
Did you get your Leica MP back from servicing? If you did, how do you feel about the absence of the 75/135 framelines?
Love it! I plan to do it all my film cameras. That MP I actually sold already.
I only sold it because I also have a M6 TTL black paint .85 and just bought a MP black paint in .58 for the best of both worlds (famous last words?). Leica is addicting! I was curious if it would affect resale value and it certainly didn’t. It sold for what I had in the camera in about an hour.
I had the 75/135 framelines removed as well from the M6 TTL. I plan to the do the same to the new incoming MP.
lifeandmylens wrote:
Love it! I plan to do it all my film cameras. That MP I actually sold already.
I only sold it because I also have a M6 TTL black paint .85 and just bought a MP black paint in .58 for the best of both worlds (famous last words?). Leica is addicting! I was curious if it would affect resale value and it certainly didn’t. It sold for what I had in the camera in about an hour.
I had the 75/135 framelines removed as well from the M6 TTL. I plan to the do the same to the new incoming MP....Show more →
Pretty sure the .58 MP does not have 135 frame lines.
lifeandmylens wrote:
Love it! I plan to do it all my film cameras. That MP I actually sold already.
I only sold it because I also have a M6 TTL black paint .85 and just bought a MP black paint in .58 for the best of both worlds (famous last words?). Leica is addicting! I was curious if it would affect resale value and it certainly didn’t. It sold for what I had in the camera in about an hour.
I had the 75/135 framelines removed as well from the M6 TTL. I plan to the do the same to the new incoming MP....Show more →
Thanks for the info! I'm glad it worked out and it's something I may try one day. It's one of the reasons I like shooting with the M2.
Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for the info! I'm glad it worked out and it's something I may try one day. It's one of the reasons I like shooting with the M2.
I think I've mentioned it before, but I hope future digital bodies have the capability to switch framelines on & off. Now that they are illuminated by led, it seems like something they could pull off
Fred Miranda wrote:
I just developed my first color negative film roll! It's drying right now. I didn't have any rehearsal, so it was a bit tense to do it for the first time, but everything went smoothly. No issues at all. Well, I haven't scanned the images yet, but it looks like it worked. 👍
coralnut wrote:
I hate to ask this question but I feel like I have to do it anyway:
What happens when you spill developing chemicals on a marble or granite countertop?
I know the stone countertops are probably treated with a sealant to protect them, but I'd be afraid of damaging them with a chemical spill.
During my initial film development, a few chemical drops accidentally landed on the countertop during agitation. Luckily, it easily wiped off. As you mentioned, I believe it depends on how porous the surface is.
You must have nerves of steel. Or very good hand-eye coordination. Sooner or later I'd knock one of those bottles over and I'd get yelled at for working in the kitchen.
coralnut wrote:
I hate to ask this question but I feel like I have to do it anyway:
What happens when you spill developing chemicals on a marble or granite countertop?
I know the stone countertops are probably treated with a sealant to protect them, but I'd be afraid of damaging them with a chemical spill.
Marble countertops consist of calcium carbonate CaCO3. If sealed, nothing is gonna happen with a chemical spill. If unsealed, biggest danger comes actually from the acidic stopper based solution. Acid will react with calcium carbonate to form CO2 (gas) and water. It can destroy the smooth uncoated marble surface.
Blix (stands for BLeach and FIxer) consists of thiosulfate (the fixer) and bleach which is sodium hypochlorite. Both chemicals don't react with calcium carbonate. Therefore a spill of bleach (and also any of the developers used) won't affect the uncoated marble surface. Nevertheless, the dark Blix solution can leave from own experience nasty brown stains on surfaces after they dry. You can remove them with water and sponge if needed.
stockshas wrote:
The blix I think it’s called in c41 development is nasty. I now use a small tarp on the surface where I handle these. And gloves for sure.
Usage of nitrile gloves is a very good proactive PPE to use during development activities in general. If film development containers are shaken/inverted during development, I would also recommend to use cheap acrylic safety glasses in case the container is a bit leaking or accidentally not fully closed with its cap.
retrofocus wrote:
Usage of nitrile gloves is a very good proactive PPE to use during development activities in general. If film development containers are shaken/inverted during development, I would also recommend to use cheap acrylic safety glasses in case the container is a bit leaking or accidentally not fully closed with its cap.
I use these gloves. They are inexpensive, disposable and works great.