New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              18       19       end

Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Version 12.3 released. Introduces AI Denoise. Also curves in Masking and a few other things. Denoise also added to PS ACR (15.3)

Sadly looks like it's unusable on my i7 7xxx Win 10 desktop machine. The preview window pops up and says 5 mins but over 10 now and just the whirly dots. Will test out on my M1 MBP when I get a chance. Topaz AI only takes about a minute to render a preview.

Apr 18, 2023 at 03:09 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Looks like my GPU is incompatible. Errors in both LRC and PS. Nvidia P2000 (5GB). Pretty old and slow these days (or is that me ... ?)

Apr 18, 2023 at 03:23 AM
Ondrej

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Short test with A7RIII 42Mpx RAW files - it takes about 11-12 minutes on my computer (default 50%) - i7 9700K, 32GB RAW, SSD drives, integrated GPU.

It's time to upgrade the GPU

Apr 18, 2023 at 03:27 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Just tried it out on my M1 MacBook pro with A1 files and it's pretty quick to create the file (20-30 seconds) though they seem to triple in size and the results at the 50% setting are way to aggressive but dialled down to 20% are pretty good. On the whole though I would probably use my own presets and tweaks because of the added file size (a 60mp file comes close to 200mp after enhancement)

Apr 18, 2023 at 03:42 AM
Ayoul
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

The DNG files is huge, but on par with denoised DNG created with DPL6, which is my reference

The denoising itself is very effective, roughly on par with Deep Prime from my initial testings. Inferior sometimes, but not all the time... For a first try, it's not a home run but it's close...

Pure Raw 3 may have just lost one of its most selling points for a lot of LR users...

Apr 18, 2023 at 06:11 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Wow. Iíve waited so long for this. Can hardly wait to download it.

Apr 18, 2023 at 08:05 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

I've had this for a while as I'm part of the pre-release program. Way too slow for me. I've stuck with Topaz DN and PureRaw 3 for NR. Maybe they will continue to optimize and speed it up.

Apr 18, 2023 at 08:47 AM
Ayoul
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

arbitrage wrote:
I've had this for a while as I'm part of the pre-release program. Way too slow for me. I've stuck with Topaz DN and PureRaw 3 for NR. Maybe they will continue to optimize and speed it up.

It's indeed slower than Deep Prime on my computer for a comparable result. I didn't mesure but I think that it takes approximately twice as long.

Apr 18, 2023 at 09:00 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Ayoul wrote:
It's indeed slower than Deep Prime on my computer for a comparable result. I didn't mesure but I think that it takes approximately twice as long.

DeepPrime 2 or 3? 2 is about 20 seconds on my machine. When I tried version3 it was about 45 seconds. Photo AI is 45 seconds. It will get better.

I'm sure they kept the original method for speed editing. I had hoped for that.

Apr 18, 2023 at 09:05 AM
Ayoul
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Zenon Char wrote:
DeepPrime 2 or 3? 2 is about 20 seconds on my machine. When I tried version3 it was about 45 seconds. Photo AI is 45 seconds. It will get better.

I'm sure they kept the original method for speed editing. I had hoped for that.

Deep Prime from DPL 6.5.

But it's way worse than I thought.
Denoise in LR (default value) : 68 sec
Deep Prime in DPL6 (default value) : 9 sec.

Anyway, for most users, it won't be a big deal. It's there, inside their software. But any improvement would be welcome ^^

Apr 18, 2023 at 09:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

Just updated and gave it a try on a couple of noisy images I had lurking on the HD. Very impressive results.

Downside - saves as DNG instead of the native RAW, but that's not terrible. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to other AI de-noising options.

Apr 18, 2023 at 09:37 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

LR took about 30 seconds to work on my M1 MBP, which is about the same as telling it to open Topaz DN, run/save the adjustment, and get the file back into LR. I liked the LR results more than Topaz at first glance. Will have to play with it more.

Apr 18, 2023 at 09:47 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

A quick test, I didn't spend much time on this. Well, the computer did, but not me. Slight tweak to WB and lightly sharpened, then de-noised with the new enhance process in LR...

Canon EOS R7    RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens    500mm    f/7.1    1/800s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 18, 2023 at 09:49 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

The LR enhancement greatly retains color info vs Topaz in my first few tests. In particular note the oranges of the butterfly and the pollen on the flower by the legs. This shot was at ISO 8000.

First shot - Lightroom Enhanced at default 50%

Second shot - Topaz Denoise - Severe Noise

The bokeh is noticeably smoother in the LR version as well, a chronic issue with Topaz.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:00 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

RoamingScott wrote:
LR took about 30 seconds to work on my M1 MBP, which is about the same as telling it to open Topaz DN, run/save the adjustment, and get the file back into LR. I liked the LR results more than Topaz at first glance. Will have to play with it more.

My MBA has the M1 chip and is faster than my iMac, which I have been trying Denoise out on.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:33 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

A few things I noticed. LrC took forever to load the file. One time I just decided to press Enhance while it was spinning and it did it's thing and the same 45 seconds. I just lost the preview. Only one time it came up right away. Not sure why. I don't think it is loading from the ED.

I was testing a bunch of files and eventually LrC locked up. It never does that. I force quit and when I tried a new file and the preview came up right away.

AI chews up VRAM so I made sure to get 8GB. My iMac is 4 years old and no M chip. It is getting on and will need an upgrade in a few years. Adobe is pretty good about these things. I'm sure they will make a few performance adjustments in the next updates.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:43 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

These are superb additions to Lightroom. We're all heading straight for the noise tool, but the changes to local adjustment tools, and the changes and additions to the panels are very useful too.

I've always considered anything beyond ISO 1600 to be pointless on my GFX 50R. The new noise tool changes everything. ISO 1600 looks very clean, and higher ISOs become usable in a pinch. It takes ~2min to process a GFX 50R RAF on my 2019 Windows desktop.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:52 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

RoamingScott wrote:
The LR enhancement greatly retains color info vs Topaz in my first few tests. In particular note the oranges of the butterfly and the pollen on the flower by the legs. This shot was at ISO 8000.

The bokeh is noticeably smoother in the LR version as well, a chronic issue with Topaz.

In your examples, I definitely prefer the LR version. The background in the Topaz version looks blotchy.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:53 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

rdeloe wrote:
In your examples, I definitely prefer the LR version. The background in the Topaz version looks blotchy.

Topaz bokeh is almost always blotchy to some degree...the thing I've always hated about it the most.

You can also see a lot of halation around the leading edge of the wing in the Topaz version. Their blurring is often very odd.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:06 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lightroom Classic AI Denoise (12.3)

I usually see blotchiness on even blue skies with Topaz as well. Adobe AI denoise doing well below, and equally or a little better on the very fine detail.

ISO 12800

Topaz
_A118529-2 by Mike Broomfield, on Flickr

PS AI Denoise (not cropped or perfectly matched)
Black Falcon plane and inflateable_A118529-Enhanced-NR-1 by Mike Broomfield, on Flickr

Compare detail Topaz left, Adobe right
PS-Topaz AI Denoise by Mike Broomfield, on Flickr

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:18 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.