FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome
Update: Pre-order the new Leica M11M and Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens (2023) at B&H Photo:

Leica 50/1.4 Lux (2023) | Leica M11-M

-----------------------------------

According to Leicarumors, Leica is preparing to unveil a fresh iteration of their Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and a Leica M11 Monochrome camera.

The upcoming Leica M11 Monochrom camera will come with 256GB internal memory and will be available in black chrome without a red dot. It will also have an ISO range of 125,000-200,000 and the highest dynamic range among all Leica cameras to date, boasting 15 stops.
The camera will be priced at $9,200.

The new Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens will have 11 aperture blades, a reduced minimum focusing distance of 45cm compared to the previous version's 70cm, and improved optical performance for high-resolution M cameras. It will feature a built-in lens hood and have a design similar to the new Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH lens.

The lens will come in black and silver/chrome, with the former priced at $4,500 and the latter at $4,800, the same as the previous version. The official announcement is expected to be on or around April 13-14, depending on your timezone.

Current Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens

Leica M10 Monochrome

Apr 10, 2023 at 09:27 AM
wolfloid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

https://leicarumors.com/category/leica-m11-monochrom/

Apr 09, 2023 at 09:13 AM
insideline
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

The only difference I read was the body has a scratch resistant black finish with no mention of black chrome, possibly the same black as on the M11?

Apr 09, 2023 at 09:24 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

125,000-200,000 ISO range
The highest dynamic range of any Leica camera to date: 15 stops

You have to love Rumours pages when they don't double check their rumour.

Will make a great Night time camera but not some much daytime. I wonder what strength of ND I will need to carry around.

Very limited ISO Range.
But just think of the dynamic range of those likely grainy images at those ISOs.

Seriously my guess it is supposed to be ISO 125-200,000.

This is the first M Monochrom that I am on the fence with. Eagerly upgraded to M246 and M10M just not convinced on an M11M upgrade. Maybe when all the information is released I might be.

Apr 09, 2023 at 02:39 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

On the fence as well. The battery life and internal memory (if true) might push me over the edge. Maybe? I do appreciate the ability to charge the M11 directly and the ease of image transfer via the USB port.

Really there’s nothing I *need* that I can’t already do with the M10M. It won’t be an IQ thing. The M10M is extraordinary in that regard. I’m limited to 24” prints at home so I don’t need more than the M10M for that.

The other issue is that I have my X2D.

Gordon

Apr 09, 2023 at 03:32 PM
insideline
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Gordon,
I was thinking the same as I feel my X2D combined with the 55V 2.5 lens provides extraordinary results in a relatively compact package to boot. Then this week I was fortunate enough to view Leica's internal dealer release on the launch of the M11M, and contained in the launch materials were two files of interest, first a picture of a building shot at ISO 200,000 and it was still an extremely usable photograph, the second example was a photo of a pile of flowers with water droplets on them shot 6 stops underexposed hence the file was virtually black, yet when it was processed the outcome was a picture of beautiful detail, tonal range and clarity.
I too find the Hasselblad X2D to be an amazing camera on so many levels that I could well have it as my one sole walk around camera and lens kit, yet I am intrigued enough with the potential of this M11M's ability to capture different kinds of files in very challenging lighting conditions and possibly with a tonal range that could be quite unique via its 60MP BSI non Bayer sensor. So I've ordered and paid for my copy and hope to get it soon after next weeks launch.

Apr 09, 2023 at 04:12 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

It will be interesting to see how that 60MP Sony sensor does with the Bayer layer and PDAF pixels stripped out. I'll be sticking with my M10M though, it has exceeded my expectations in every way. I wish the M11M adopters good luck and all the best.

Apr 09, 2023 at 04:13 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

flash wrote:
On the fence as well. The battery life and internal memory (if true) might push me over the edge. Maybe? I do appreciate the ability to charge the M11 directly and the ease of image transfer via the USB port.

Really there’s nothing I *need* that I can’t already do with the M10M. It won’t be an IQ thing. The M10M is extraordinary in that regard. I’m limited to 24” prints at home so I don’t need more than the M10M for that.

The other issue is that I have my X2D.

Gordon

Besides the much-extended battery life, the one thing I couldn't give up with the M11 for the M10-R/M again would be the ability to shoot at wider apertures in bright daylight without an ND filter due to ISO 64 and the electronic shutter top speed of 1/16,000 sec.

I wonder what the true base ISO of the M11M will be.

Apr 09, 2023 at 05:36 PM
insideline
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

125 base ISO which is lower than the 160 of the M10M, then up to a max of 200,000 ISO. The photographs provided by Leica in the M11M press release of both 160 and 200,000 look pretty impressive to me.

Apr 09, 2023 at 06:02 PM
Andrew CD
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Oh dear, oh dear ….

ISO 125 to 200,000 is a range of over 10 1/2 stops (if I am doing the arithmetic correctly). Perhaps more importantly, the dynamic range sounds amazing.

But I agree with @highdesertmesa , the combination of ISO 64 (even if the true base is 125) and the electronic shutter (even with rolling shutter effects) is an attractive proposition. Having said that, the light in the Scottish Highlands is, on occasion, not quite as strong as it is in the desert in the USA …. It may not be as big a factor but, like @flash , I actually rather like having the USB-C connection on the M11, too.

@insideline , please stop!

Apr 10, 2023 at 03:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

After the launch of the new Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens, I am curious to know whether the Black Chrome edition of the lens that is currently in production will still be available.

Apr 10, 2023 at 09:28 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
After the launch of the new Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens, I am curious to know whether the Black Chrome edition of the lens that is currently in production will still be available.

Maybe discontinue and update later with the matte black paint, closer MFD, and hood redesign so it works with filters? Or maybe that's just my wishlist for it

Apr 10, 2023 at 09:34 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Andrew CD wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear ….

ISO 125 to 200,000 is a range of over 10 1/2 stops (if I am doing the arithmetic correctly). Perhaps more importantly, the dynamic range sounds amazing.

But I agree with @highdesertmesa@ , the combination of ISO 64 (even if the true base is 125) and the electronic shutter (even with rolling shutter effects) is an attractive proposition. Having said that, the light in the Scottish Highlands is, on occasion, not quite as strong as it is in the desert in the USA …. It may not be as big a factor but,
...Show more

And having the M11's dual gain second ISO of 200 move up to 400 on the M11M will be nice.

Apr 10, 2023 at 09:40 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Excellent. Used M 240 monochrome cameras will likely further drop in price with this release and make them more affordable.

Apr 10, 2023 at 09:59 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

highdesertmesa wrote:
And having the M11's dual gain second ISO of 200 move up to 400 on the M11M will be nice.

Have you been able to find any official documentation on the M11's dual gain numbers. I have looked and cannot find any.

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:37 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

1bwana1 wrote:
Have you been able to find any official documentation on the M11's dual gain numbers. I have looked and cannot find any.

No, Leica doesn't publish dual gain info that I know of. It has to be deduced from P2P DR chart at where the DR bumps back up.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Leica%20M11

Edited on Apr 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM
josh-himes

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

goodbokeh wrote:
It will be interesting to see how that 60MP Sony sensor does with the Bayer layer and PDAF pixels stripped out. I'll be sticking with my M10M though, it has exceeded my expectations in every way. I wish the M11M adopters good luck and all the best.

I'm pretty sure the M11 does not have a PDAF array built into the sensor. These are quite apparent in Infrared and I have shot hundreds of Infrared images with the M11 using various filters up to 850nm - have seen no evidence of a PDAF array yet.

I have an 850 IR converted A7R4 and the PDAF array clearly shows up in every image. It's even visible in the EVF. I suspect that Leica was able to source the sensor from Sony without the PDAF array, or somehow it is disabled and therefore invisible in IR. I will be curious to know how aggressive the IR filtration is on the upcoming M11M. If it is similar to the M10M IR filter, the new camera should be usable for high quality handheld infrared imaging with a 720 filter.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

highdesertmesa wrote:
No, Leica doesn't publish dual gain info that I know of. It has to be deduced from P2P DR chart at where the DR bumps back up.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Leica%20M11

Yeah, I have looked at the P2P charts. I was just hoping for some Leica numbers.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:40 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

When the new 35Lux was announced I ordered at it right away,

The 50 Lux with a shorter focusing distance and 11 blades would fit nicely in my kit but the current 50 Lux is my favourite and most used M mount lens, leaves me wondering if I jumped on board with the new would it become my new favourite or would my current still remain favourite.

Mind you closer focusing would be great in the garden or hiking trips shooting the flora.

alas many many many months later still waiting for the new 35Lux.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:55 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

burningheart wrote:
When the new 35Lux was announced I ordered at it right away,

The 50 Lux with a shorter focusing distance and 11 blades would fit nicely in my kit but the current 50 Lux is my favourite and most used M mount lens, leaves me wondering if I jumped on board with the new would it become my new favourite or would my current still remain favourite.

Mind you closer focusing would be great in the garden or hiking trips shooting the flora.

alas many many many months later still waiting for the new 35Lux.

burningheart, I'm in a similar but different position. I too have the 50 Lux Asph. and really like it. Unless there is some surprise changes besides the # of aperture blades and close focus, at this point I'm sticking with my 50 and purchasing the 35 FLE II to replace my current 35/2.4 Summarit. I'll gain close focus ability and speed with the FLE II, that's the value added in my circumstance.

BTW, there has been a lot of unattributed whispers and rumors about various "changes" to the 35 FLE II like different glass types and coatings to make it now able to deal with the 60MP sensor and beyond. I just don't buy it and I expect the same marketing spin for the new 50 Asph. also.

Apr 10, 2023 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.