New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

It's no secret that USB-C cables are not made all the same.
There is 2.0, 3.1 (gen1, 2), 3.2, etc...

Leica's USB-C port mentions support for "USB-C 3.1 gen1" transferring. But what if one uses a cable capable of more bandwidth like a thunderbolt 3 or 4 cable?

Reports online said that the fastest data transferring from the M11 to computer would be when using a USB-C 3.1 gen1 or gen2 cable but that's not what I saw in my test.

I have compared the following cables:
(all cables from OWC)
  1. Thunderbolt 3 (TB3)
  2. Thunderbolt 4 (TB4)
  3. 3.1 gen 1
  4. 3.1 gen 2

The results transferring 100 DNG files from the M11 to my Macbook Pro were:
  1. USB-C TB3 and TB4 cables = 2m 10sec. (fastest transferring)
  2. USB-C 3.1 gen1 and gen2 cables = 2m 50sec.
I recommend using TB3 or TB4 cables for faster image transfering from the M11.

Aug 04, 2022 at 01:14 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

If I'm understanding this correctly, you are seeing around 46 MB/sec at best download with OWC TB3 and TB4 cables?

I'm using a Unitek USB 3.2 Gen 2 cable and I'm able to download to my Mac with it at around 83 MB/sec from internal storage, and around 69 MB/sec from SD storage.

This test is done via Android File Transfer. Via Lightroom and looking at the Activity Monitor its slower.

Aug 04, 2022 at 01:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

hmzimelka wrote:
If I'm understanding this correctly, you are seeing around 46 MB/sec at best download with OWC TB3 and TB4 cables?

I'm using a Unitek USB 3.2 Gen 2 cable and I'm able to download to my Mac with it at around 83 MB/sec from internal storage, and around 69 MB/sec from SD storage.

This test is done via Android File Transfer. Via Lightroom and looking at the Activity Monitor its slower.

Yes, the TB3/TB4 cable transferring was a bit faster. I was expecting the opposite based on what I read online. I've tested this a couple times to make sure.

This was using the same exact 100 DNG files imported into Lightroom.

There is the cable maker variable to consider but I tried to minimize this by using cables from the same company (OWC).

The Android File transfer app (for the Mac) is a good alternative to 'mass storage' but stops the Lightroom image transferring when active. It's annoying that it opens every time I connect the M11 to the laptop. Luckily I found a way to stop it from opening automatically.

Aug 04, 2022 at 01:48 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

hmzimelka wrote:

Have you had a chance to test speeds importing from the M11's internal 64GB memory ( not the SD card) to computer?

Aug 04, 2022 at 01:51 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

LBJ2 wrote:
Have you had a chance to test speeds importing from the M11's internal 64GB memory ( not the SD card) to computer?

Yeah, 83 MB/sec from internal storage, and around 69 MB/sec from SD storage.

Its slow enough for me to never use it.

My entire speed tests I've done are below...

Tested on Firmware Version 1.2.1.0

- Camera writing speeds to internal memory: About 124.4 MB/sec
- Camera writing speeds to Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/S 64GB UHS-I card: About 69 MB/sec
- Camera writing speeds to Sandisk Extreme Pro 300 MB/S 128GB UHS-II card: About 99 MB/sec
- Camera writing speeds to Lexar Professional 32GB 2000x UHS-II card: About 99 MB/sec
- Camera writing speeds to Lexar Professional 32GB 1667x UHS-II card: About 99 MB/sec
- Camera writing speeds to ProGrade 128GB V60 (Gold) UHS-II card: About 99 MB/sec

- Transfer speeds from camera SD storage via USB-C cable: About 69 MB/sec
- Transfer speeds from camera INTERNAL storage via USB-C cable: About 83 MB/sec

Edited on Aug 04, 2022 at 02:04 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2022 at 02:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

BTW: My test was using the SD storage with all cables. Glad to know it could be even faster transferring from the internal storage!

Aug 04, 2022 at 02:03 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

LBJ2 wrote:

If you're asking importing into Lightroom versus downloading via Android File Transfer, then no, not really. Its just slower than what I've mentioned and more in line with Fred's speeds.

Best is to get a card reader if the computer doesn't have one already

The speeds are rather slow otherwise.

Aug 04, 2022 at 02:06 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

hmzimelka wrote:
If you're asking importing into Lightroom versus downloading via Android File Transfer, then no, not really. Its just slower than what I've mentioned and more in line with Fred's speeds.

Best is to get a card reader if the computer doesn't have one already

The speeds are rather slow otherwise.

I use USBC UHS-II card reader or UHS-II computer SD card slot. PTP from camera to LR is slow-madness IMO regardless of the cable used. But I don't think I ever tested from the internal 64GB. PTP is the only process I've noticed so far that actually caused my M1 Max MBP to get warm while slow-moving files to LR.

Aug 04, 2022 at 02:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

It's puzzling that the MFi connection is slow as well. I thought that transferring with a cable to the iPhone would be blazing fast.

Aug 04, 2022 at 02:19 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's puzzling that the MFi connection is slow as well. I thought that transferring with a cable to the iPhone would be blazing fast.

I notice, the MFI cable seems very quick to connect to the Fotos app and load up all the image previews in the Fotos image gallery. I'm happy with that performance. I can zip through the full size "previews" very smoothly and quickly too on the larger iPhone screen. I also use MFI cable and Fotos Apps to more conveniently delete images on the camera especially when I want to delete a lot of images quickly without having to connect to computer. * I'm currently viewing 642 DNGs on my SD card in the M11 via the MFI cable and Fotos app with the performance above.

When I download a full size DNG to the iPhone then I notice the slow down... quite a bit.

I took the opportunity to test downloading full size DNG from the camera's internal memory via MFI cable to the iPhone. I didn't measure, but it doesn't seem any faster compared to the same download from the SD card inside the camera.

Aug 04, 2022 at 03:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

LBJ2 wrote:
When I download a full size DNG to the iPhone then I notice the slow down... quite a bit.

Yes, that's the issue. I have not tested this but it seems that downloading DNGs wirelessly is actually faster!!

Aug 04, 2022 at 05:00 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, that's the issue. I have not tested this but it seems that downloading DNGs wirelessly is actually faster!!

But only on USA M11 models... or at least the model I have, a ROW M11, only has 2.4gHz Wifi, which in turn makes transferring slower than molasses.

Aug 05, 2022 at 01:09 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

Fred Miranda wrote:

I didn't measure, but the 5GHz wireless download from the camera for one full size DNG file to the iPhone does seem to be a bit faster than the same with the MFI cable.

Reddotforum also mentioned something about "increased data transfer rates " coming with a second half 2022 firmware update. 🤷🏽‍♂️ No idea is that's via MFI Wireless or both.

Regardless, using with MFI cable and the Fotos app is pretty zippy as it is. I like it and use it to include the Fotos Remote /Tethered Preview feature which seems to work better than expected too. I've been testing this feature with the iPad Pro. 👍🏼

Edited on Aug 05, 2022 at 09:47 AM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:44 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

hmzimelka wrote:
But only on USA M11 models... or at least the model I have, a ROW M11, only has 2.4gHz Wifi, which in turn makes transferring slower than molasses.

I didn't realize 5GHz feature was country/region specific. Is that something to do with regional license fees ? Or some other government requirement ?

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:46 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

LBJ2 wrote:
I didn't realize 5GHz feature was country/region specific. Is that something to do with regional license fees ? Or some other government requirement ?

I'm not sure. But its very frustrating.

From Leica customer support...

Hi Martin,

due to legal restrictions, we cannot activate the 5GHZ in Africa.

Best,

Aug 05, 2022 at 09:54 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

hmzimelka wrote:

Hi Martin,

Best,

That is too bad and yes, frustrating. I wonder if it remains blocked if you travel to another 5GHz allowable region.
FWIW while I have my camera set to 5GHz, in reality I don't use it much at all. I prefer the much faster download from UHS-II SD card directly via a reader or computer slot we discussed earlier. One of those nice-to-have otherwise. I guess it just depends on the application/requirement.

Aug 05, 2022 at 10:09 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

LBJ2 wrote:
That is too bad and yes, frustrating. I wonder if it remains blocked if you travel to another 5GHz allowable region.
FWIW while I have my camera set to 5GHz, in reality I don't use it much at all. I prefer the much faster download from UHS-II SD card directly via a reader or computer slot we discussed earlier. One of those nice-to-have otherwise. I guess it just depends on the application/requirement.

I asked Leica and they said its a limitation that can be adjusted at Leica rather than via a custom firmware update.

Aug 05, 2022 at 10:13 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

hmzimelka wrote:

Hi Martin,

Best,

Did they say how this works? Does the firmware look at the time zone set in-camera or is this done to all units sold into Africa?

Aug 05, 2022 at 11:09 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

hmzimelka wrote:
I asked Leica and they said its a limitation that can be adjusted at Leica rather than via a custom firmware update.

I don't actually "like" this 5GHz PITA you are going through--just acknowledging your response...with that comment "like"

Aug 05, 2022 at 11:15 AM
hmzimelka
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica M11 USB-C transfer speed

highdesertmesa wrote:
Did they say how this works? Does the firmware look at the time zone set in-camera or is this done to all units sold into Africa?

I'm not sure. I think there are certain Model Numbers for M11 that have 5ghz disabled.
My M11 is a LEICA M11, black paint finish (Version ROW) model 202-06.
Whereas the USA model is a LEICA M11, black paint finish (Version EU/US/CN) model 202-00.

Aug 05, 2022 at 11:25 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.