New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              106       107       end

Archive 2021 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

We're all anxious to see your images and comments you have for the discussion that will develop.

Edited on May 29, 2023 at 05:09 AM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2021 at 04:45 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Patiently waiting…..

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:15 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

I want to know if we need to update our raw editor to read the Z9 raw files?

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

TooManyShots wrote:
I want to know if we need to update our raw editor to read the Z9 raw files?

Which program are you using? LR has been able to read them for awhile now. Same for ACR of course.

Not sure about C1 etc....

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:46 PM
this is me
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

I have nothing good worth showing. Picked up the camera pretty late today. Did some ISO test shots against my Z7 and they look almost identical to me.
Surprisingly with Z7 with the latest update firmware is very close to Z9 in terms of low light acquisition. But the Z9 has the illuminated af assist(green light). Without that, the Z9 is about the same as the Z7 in terms of low light acquisition.
3D tracking is very sticky and eye AF seems to be excellent as well.
I’ll do some pigeons test tomorrow.

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:59 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

I already downloaded the latest version of Nikon Studio NX. There is NO way you'll beat processing a Nikon RAW image, especially anything Adobe produces that's for sure. Capture One and maybe DXO Photolab may eventually come close. But you can't beat the company that produces a program using their own code. I watched a half dozen instructional video's on it and now feel very confident I can dive in easily and produce a fine RAW image from the likes of a Z9 from it. Now all it takes is the camera and lens.

Dec 24, 2021 at 12:43 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

arbitrage wrote:
Which program are you using? LR has been able to read them for awhile now. Same for ACR of course.

Not sure about C1 etc....

Capture One 20 pro....

Dec 24, 2021 at 01:43 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

My first proper shot using RAW. My real first shots were all accidently done in jpeg

Looked out the front window and a Rainbow Lorikeet just happened to be feeding on the Bottlebrush we have.

Converted in Capture One Pro 22.

Z9 + 500 f5.6 PF, 1/250sec, f5.6, ISO1000.

Dec 24, 2021 at 01:48 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Stunning Lance!

Cheers,
Bernard

Dec 24, 2021 at 01:54 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

dcisive wrote:
I already downloaded the latest version of Nikon Studio NX. There is NO way you'll beat processing a Nikon RAW image, especially anything Adobe produces that's for sure. Capture One and maybe DXO Photolab may eventually come close. But you can't beat the company that produces a program using their own code. I watched a half dozen instructional video's on it and now feel very confident I can dive in easily and produce a fine RAW image from the likes of a Z9 from it. Now all it takes is the camera and lens.

This is not at all my experience. I far prefer .nef files rendered through C1 Pro.

Colors with ProStandard profiles are superior, tone control is much more powerful,...

I have not received my Z9 yet, so my comments are about previous Nikon bodies up to the Z6II, Z7II and Zfc.

Cheers,
Bernard

Dec 24, 2021 at 01:55 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

bernardl wrote:
Stunning Lance!

Cheers,
Bernard

Thank you very much, Bernard!

Dec 24, 2021 at 02:20 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Yes, stunning Lance!

You’ve posted images of these gorgeous Rainbow Lorikeets before. And it seems they’re always close by the house. This one’s got quite a smile on its face. Do you have special treats for them? .

What a place, that Australia!

Can you say anything yet, about the performance of the 500PF and FTZII Lance?

Dec 24, 2021 at 02:45 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

bs kite wrote:
Yes, stunning Lance!

You’ve posted images of these gorgeous Rainbow Lorikeets before. And it seems they’re always close by the house. This one’s got quite a smile on its face. Do you have special treats for them? .

What a place, that Australia!

Can you say anything yet, about the performance of the 500PF and FTZII Lance?

Thank you very much for your kind comment, Robert!

At this time of year, summer, they are feeding on the flowering native bushes and trees we have in our front yard. Our upstairs windows look out at the top parts of the flowering Gum tree and flowering Bottlebrush that they love to feed on at this time of year. So, I get a great vantage point,

The AF performance is very fast, at least as fast as the D850. I feel as though I was back using the D850 in a way simply due to the fast AF and surefootedness of it's ability. It never felt as though it was struggling to find focus, unless I did something wrong, of course. This is really like a ML version of a D850 but much better.

I have been quite impressed with the Z9 and it's AF abilities so far but I am still learning how to use the AF and it is quite configurable. There is a lot to learn and remember what and how you can do it. What I learnt was that you can set up one of the group modes like say AF Area S, AF Area L, AF Area 3D or Subject Tracking AF, but in conjuction with that, you can also set it to look at Subject Detection like Animal, people or auto etc. So, you may set the AF Area Mode to 3D but also set up Subject Detection for just Animal Detect. So it will choose one or the other depending on what it detects, if it can't do one it will do the other. I had it set to 3D tracking and Animal Detect and it locked onto the birds head and then eye no problem. If it couldn't detect the animal - body/head/eye - it would then go to 3D tracking. This would apply to the other AF Area Modes as well. You could set it to say Wide Area L and also use Animal Detect as long as the bird/animal was in or near the Wide Area L square it locks onto the animal/bird eye.

Still lots to learn though.

Dec 24, 2021 at 03:15 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Wow, that is a simply gorgeous image. Also impressive is the colour handling at ISO 1000. This is a very nice performance from the sensor and processing pipeline. And of course the post processing.

Dec 24, 2021 at 04:54 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Alistair1 wrote:
Wow, that is a simply gorgeous image. Also impressive is the colour handling at ISO 1000. This is a very nice performance from the sensor and processing pipeline. And of course the post processing.

Thank you very much, Alistair!

It's early days yet, but I do think it looks a little cleaner than the Z7II but at this stage I wouldn't stake my life on it.

Dec 24, 2021 at 05:11 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

What a beautiful bird to be the first pic from z9. How did the BEAF work? Is it sticky like human eyes? How's the AF speed of th combo? Any better/worse than DSLR like D500?

Lance B wrote:
My first proper shot using RAW. My real first shots were all accidently done in jpeg

Looked out the front window and a Rainbow Lorikeet just happened to be feeding on the Bottlebrush we have.

https://pbase.com/lance_b/image/172225492/original.jpg

Ignore my question about AF. I see u answered already

Dec 24, 2021 at 05:53 AM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Beautiful shot Lance!!

Dec 24, 2021 at 06:02 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Lance B wrote:
My first proper shot using RAW...

Hi Lance, nice subject, good composition and pleasant background (despite of the PF lens ).
However, did you, or the camera, focus the eye ? If so, please note that the parrot picture is slightly backfocused.

Dec 24, 2021 at 08:26 AM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Wow the colors on that bird!

Lance B wrote:

Dec 24, 2021 at 09:17 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Z9 and Z8 ! : A thread for Z9/Z8 images and *discussion*

Lance B wrote:

beauty Lance, congrats on the z9

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.