fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       7              9       …       14       15       end
  

Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?

  
 
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Good to know flare is universal to IR and not lens dependent. I really like the DC cherry blossoms and Arlington shots in IR.

First attempt with the 200-600. Not enough sunlight, too cloudy. Focus was a lot tougher than using the A9

Sony ILCE-6000
FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
ƒ/6.3 600.0 mm 1/640 1600



Apr 04, 2021 at 05:41 PM
RSSmith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Having traded my FE35/1.8 to my son in exchange for his X-Pro2, I sent it off to Kolari and just got it back today.

Seems like a big difference from my converted X-E1. Going to get out and do some comparisons this weekend.

Here's one from the woods behind our house taken this evening ...


20210430 013i by Ron Smith, on Flickr



Apr 30, 2021 at 09:28 PM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Shooting through the haze with an a6000.






Aug 18, 2021 at 07:19 PM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #4 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Still not a fad. I carry around the 850 nm IR a6000 as a second body most of the time.


Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/6.3 41.0 mm 1/100 100



Oct 06, 2021 at 07:29 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #5 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


TGPhotography wrote:
Still not a fad. I carry around the 850 nm IR a6000 as a second body most of the time.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51556196098_fbd0ff4b69_h.jpg
Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/6.3 41.0 mm 1/100 100


Terrific shot, Tyler! I need to get mine out more often.



Oct 06, 2021 at 07:51 PM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #6 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
Terrific shot, Tyler! I need to get mine out more often.


Thanks. This would be a shot I wouldn't have even taken with a normal camera in this light.

For me, IR gives more available hours for landscape photography due to harsh light and haze not mattering as much.

Hopefully this thread doesn't die off.






Oct 06, 2021 at 08:30 PM
RSSmith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #7 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


TGPhotography wrote:
Hopefully this thread doesn't die off.


Let's keep it alive.



20210905 077i by Ron Smith, on Flickr



Oct 06, 2021 at 08:40 PM
motiwala
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #8 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
just wondering those who have converted infrared cameras, was it a fad for you or you use it a fair amount?


Did it with Pentax K10d years back but have never been a fan of infrared images, just a personal taste




Oct 06, 2021 at 11:57 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #9 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


RSSmith wrote:
Let's keep it alive.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51431325929_bf04b7cbf9_h.jpg20210905 077i by Ron Smith, on Flickr


Love old barns in IR images.

The clouds looked pretty today so I dug out my camera for a quick spin.



























Oct 18, 2021 at 04:24 PM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #10 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


More shots with the a6000 and 850 nm conversion. All of these are with the 18-135mm lens.














Oct 24, 2021 at 03:38 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #11 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Recent shots with the a6000 and 850nm:
















Nov 28, 2021 at 03:08 PM
webmstrk9
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #12 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Very Large Array in Socorro, New Mexico







Nov 28, 2021 at 04:58 PM
tedgoudie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #13 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Anybody have experience with a converted RX100 VII?

I'm thinking of getting a camera converted to 850nm, and was leaning towards the compact camera because I think it better suits my uses cases than converting an Alpha body. I note that LifePixel's website for the Sony P&S conversions says there may be hotspots at longer focal lengths. I called Kolari today and asked them about hotspots on the RX100 VII and they said they didn't have enough information in their database to know. I will call LifePixel and ask as well, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone had RX100 experience.




Feb 09, 2022 at 07:45 PM
onthebeam
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #14 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


It's not a FAD.

It's RAD!




Feb 09, 2022 at 07:50 PM
Grenache
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #15 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Couple of examples of 830nm conversions on RX100 v3 on Flickr that look clean but several others with various filter cutoffs and apparently v1 of the RX100 that look like they have bad hot spots. No hits in the search for v7.

I have only used converted SLR and mirrorless bodies, but the prices of a used a6000 are pretty low these days, and the form factor of something like that and a small lens is not massively different than an RX100. The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 is feather light and paired well with that body when I had one. Mine was a 590nm conversion, so I can’t vouch for the Sigma at 850nm. Many APS-C lenses perform better than FF lenses, and I don’t know why.

Jim



Feb 09, 2022 at 08:09 PM
tedgoudie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #16 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Thanks for checking those. That's interesting about the APS-C lenses!

My reason for wanting something really small like the RX is that the two situations where I think I'd use an IR-converted camera most are: 1. Where I'm carrying only that and want something truly pocketable (I have an RX and use it this way now). 2. When I have a backpack already carrying two bodies + lenses, but I want the IR option for later in the mornings once the sun moves way up. Since I'm usually already carrying two bodies, I think the truly compact RX is an easier fit in the bag than a 3rd body.

But it doesn't have to be the RX - my backup plan is the A6000 or another small body if the RX100 doesn't make sense for conversion.

Grenache wrote:
Couple of examples of 830nm conversions on RX100 v3 on Flickr that look clean but several others with various filter cutoffs and apparently v1 of the RX100 that look like they have bad hot spots. No hits in the search for v7.

I have only used converted SLR and mirrorless bodies, but the prices of a used a6000 are pretty low these days, and the form factor of something like that and a small lens is not massively different than an RX100. The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 is feather light and paired well with that body when I had one. Mine was
...Show more →




Feb 09, 2022 at 10:19 PM
Grenache
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #17 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Alternatively, convert one of your current bodies to full spectrum and purchase an 850nm and a hot mirror filter (which restores normal visible spectrum) and just pop the right filter on your lens. You still get all of the benefits of WYSIWYG IR and normal shutter speeds. This also lets you use a variety of IR filters and not just one.

I converted my second body (a7iii) to full spectrum and greatly enjoy the flexibility. The Kolari current new generation hot mirror filter is excellent.



Feb 09, 2022 at 10:55 PM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #18 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Still fun. a6000 and 850nm.

Same location and tree as one posted earlier, slightly different framing and now the tree has burned.

Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/8.0 29.0 mm 1/60 100


Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/8.0 43.0 mm 1/60 100


Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/6.3 78.0 mm 1/100 100



May 25, 2022 at 07:31 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #19 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


TGPhotography wrote:
Still fun. a6000 and 850nm.

Same location and tree as one posted earlier, slightly different framing and now the tree has burned.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52097822539_2f1681bd03_h.jpg
Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/8.0 29.0 mm 1/60 100

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52096559422_06f7e85f53_h.jpg
Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/8.0 43.0 mm 1/60 100

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52097822339_247d8d3e7c_h.jpg
Sony ILCE-6000
E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ƒ/6.3 78.0 mm 1/100 100


Beautiful shots!

Finally I dug my IR camera out and took a few shots of the Arlington National Cemetery yesterday morning. To my eyes, the IR versions have a more haunting look than color ones or even normal B&W.






















May 31, 2022 at 07:06 PM
RomanMF
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #20 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I plan on doing this with my A7RII once I upgrade.


May 31, 2022 at 07:31 PM
1       2       3       …       7              9       …       14       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       7              9       …       14       15       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account