fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       …       14       15       end
  

Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?

  
 
Bertrick
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


johnahill wrote:
IR can be great especially around the middle of the day when the light is harsh and unflattering for normal photography so it can extend your shooting opportunities.



That makes a huge amount of sense. I like your B&W images. There is a dreamy softness and fantasy in them. That is the way I like IR.



Jan 09, 2021 at 11:42 AM
rdcny
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


IR in the Middle of the day...especially in summer.

Not a fad by any means -

I only do B/W...very very few people do false colors well imo without it looking like my young sister with her first set of lipstick/make-up etc...or me when I was ten trying to match colors of pants to shirt





Central Park / 59 St Pond - June 2010







Along the Bronx River June 2011




Jan 09, 2021 at 11:43 AM
beavens
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


rdcny wrote:
I only do B/W...very very few people do false colors well imo without it looking like my young sister with her first set of lipstick/make-up etc...or me when I was ten trying to match colors of pants to shirt


Yeah, I think you really need to have a solid grasp on how colors complement each other if you go crazy with the color. The standard white on blue is fairly easy to achieve.

I also love pairing IR with long exposures. It works nicely with floral stuff when a flash is leveraged as well.

Jeff












Jan 09, 2021 at 11:48 AM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


johnahill wrote:
I'm on my third IR conversion now, first one was a very low spec APS-C EOS which was mediocre, second was a Fuji X system which was OK.

Latest one was my original A7r, which I had plan to sell/trade but it had cleaning marks on the sensor. IR (or full spectrum in my case) removes the hot mirror anyways to it fixed 2 birds with one stone.

Now I have an IR camera with a complement of lenses I love it.
IR can be great especially around the middle of the day when the light is harsh and unflattering for normal photography
...Show more →

Lovely images John! The "fake" snowy look is what got me interested first, .



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:01 PM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


rdcny wrote:
IR in the Middle of the day...especially in summer.

Not a fad by any means -

I only do B/W...very very few people do false colors well imo without it looking like my young sister with her first set of lipstick/make-up etc...or me when I was ten trying to match colors of pants to shirt


The second one is something else! I love the look.



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:09 PM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


johnahill wrote:
If you're on the fence:

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/sony-alpha-a7r-iii-ir-modified-850nm



That's a pretty expensive rental for trying out in the midst of dead winter with no leaves. I think I will get a used A7R for conversion. The used A7R bodies aren't that much cheaper than the used A7RII. If the A7RII didn't have the potential issue with long exposure, I would surely prefer the A7RII.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in and posting samples. It's a great learning experience. Keep it coming.



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:19 PM
beavens
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas Liu wrote:
Thanks to everyone for chiming in and posting samples. It's a great learning experience. Keep it coming.


I hope you have a blast! Glad you enjoyed the flower.

Jeff



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:28 PM
eriet30
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I converted my A6000 to IR to shoot petroglyphs and see if the contrast helped. It didn't so it is more of a novelty for me now. I like it for some landscapes but dont use it enough and will sell it soon.

DSC01662.jpg by Paul, on Flickr

_DSC8241.jpg by Paul, on Flickr

DSC01460.jpg by Paul, on Flickr



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:31 PM
realVivek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Are you shooting these with the kit zoom?

eriet30 wrote:
I converted my A6000 to IR to shoot petroglyphs and see if the contrast helped. It didn't so it is more of a novelty for me now. I like it for some landscapes but dont use it enough and will sell it soon.





Jan 09, 2021 at 12:40 PM
AZSteve
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


It would be helpful if contributors to a thread like this would indicate whether they are referring to conversions that simply remove the IR filter from the sensor leaving the CFA intact, or the more uncommon and expensive conversion which removes the CFA as well -- usually called full-spectrum monochrome. If one is only interested in B&W final output, there are advantages to removing the CFA. If one is interested in false/funky color, then the CFA must be present.


Jan 09, 2021 at 12:40 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?




AZSteve wrote:
It would be helpful if contributors to a thread like this would indicate whether they are referring to conversions that simply remove the IR filter from the sensor leaving the CFA intact, or the more uncommon and expensive conversion which removes the CFA as well -- usually called full-spectrum monochrome. If one is only interested in B&W final output, there are advantages to removing the CFA. If one is interested in false/funky color, then the CFA must be present.


My images are not full-spectrum. The body I converted will only do 850 (unsure if additional filters would go anything).

Admittedly I know very little about how things work behind the scenes. I liked the results and went with it.

Jeff



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:47 PM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?



beavens wrote:
I adore IR photography, not only for the look but for the ability to go out with my fam midday and still get some fun pics that would otherwise be ruined by the harsh light.

I prefer mono (and shoot with an 850nm converted body), but if done correctly you can do some killer false color work.

Have you considered buying an IR filter to see if you'd like it? That'd be a way cheaper alternative. You'll have some annoyances to deal with, but probably a better option than diving in with a conversion.

Jeff



Thanks for the info Jeff. Trying a filter first is definitely an option before spending over $1000 on something that I may or may not get serious with. You have a clearer head than me.

Edited on Jan 09, 2021 at 05:03 PM · View previous versions



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:53 PM
realVivek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I think all the shot shown are using cameras that have sensors with the CFA intact. It is actually useful for IR captures.

When the CFA is removed, there is a slight drop (about 1 stop) in IR sensitivity vs the ones with their CFA/micro lenses.

AZSteve wrote:
It would be helpful if contributors to a thread like this would indicate whether they are referring to conversions that simply remove the IR filter from the sensor leaving the CFA intact, or the more uncommon and expensive conversion which removes the CFA as well -- usually called full-spectrum monochrome. If one is only interested in B&W final output, there are advantages to removing the CFA. If one is interested in false/funky color, then the CFA must be present.



Here is one snap with a Monochrome A7rII and Zony 55/1.8, Hoya R72 filter.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:53 PM
liggy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


It’s a fun novelty foe me. I have an 830nm Lifepixel converted Fuji that is pretty neat to shoot. It’s nice to be able to shoot in conditions that would normally be terrible for “regular” setups.

I think making sure your favorite lens isn’t going to be an issue with your chosen wavelength is pretty important if it hasn’t come up yet.



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:54 PM
realVivek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


For those trying to experiment, I would suggest that you start with a small compact camera (NEX-5N, for example).

Any camera would do.

Here is one with a full spectrum Panasonic GM1 and Olympus 17/2.8, RG690 filter.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr



Jan 09, 2021 at 12:57 PM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


johnahill wrote:
I have to say that after having 3 different IR conversion, the biggest challenge is post processing.
You're likely gonna start with a pretty flat looking file and depending on filters, it may even look red (correctable of course).

Building a good workflow and having the confidence to totally mess with white balance beyond normal settings is a must


Can it be done in LR or do you need PS ?

Nice images. Never heard of the advantages relative to mid-day shooting.



Jan 09, 2021 at 01:55 PM
beavens
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


DaveFP wrote:
Can it be done in LR or do you need PS ?

Nice images. Never heard of the advantages relative to mid-day shooting.


If you're just doing B&W then LR can easily handle them.

IR works best in harsh midday light.

Jeff




Jan 09, 2021 at 02:12 PM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


beavens wrote:
If you're just doing B&W then LR can easily handle them.

IR works best in harsh midday light.

Jeff



Thanks; this thread has piqued my interest.

Not necessarily a good thing!




Jan 09, 2021 at 02:42 PM
Eddie88
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I have a full spectrum A7 and use it for B&W photography. For me its not a fad and opens up the opportunity to get some great shots in the midday sun. I normally shoot with 720nm filter which gives nice B&W images with great contrast.

My only advice would be to look into lenses which work well on IR. I normally use the Pentax-K 28mm F3.5 or Voigtlander 40mm. A few examples from A7 mk1 are below.

Bagger 288 by Illogical., on Flickr

Pine Forest by Illogical., on Flickr

Hilltop Folly by Illogical., on Flickr



Jan 09, 2021 at 03:16 PM
eriet30
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Think those were with the FE 28/2 which was a great lens


Jan 09, 2021 at 03:40 PM
1              3       …       14       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       …       14       15       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account