fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       6              8       …       14       15       end
  

Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?

  
 
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I am about to find out if it is a fad for me

I bought an 850nm converted Sony a6000 in the buy & sell board. I always liked the pure B&W look. So far I have had an hour of shooting to test the aps-c lenses I already own. Hotspots weren't bad so far in the conditions I tested but it was not comprehensive.

I didn't try the Sony 200-600 yet, although the thought did cross my mind. I wonder how wildlife and hummingbirds will look in IR.



Mar 26, 2021 at 10:20 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


TGPhotography wrote:
I didn't try the Sony 200-600 yet, although the thought did cross my mind. I wonder how wildlife and hummingbirds will look in IR.





Mar 26, 2021 at 01:32 PM
realVivek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


They would look nice. Try it.

These were shot with an IR converted NEX-5N (not the Sony Zoom)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr


TGPhotography wrote:
I am about to find out if it is a fad for me

I bought an 850nm converted Sony a6000 in the buy & sell board. I always liked the pure B&W look. So far I have had an hour of shooting to test the aps-c lenses I already own. Hotspots weren't bad so far in the conditions I tested but it was not comprehensive.

I didn't try the Sony 200-600 yet, although the thought did cross my mind. I wonder how wildlife and hummingbirds will look in IR.





Mar 26, 2021 at 01:57 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #4 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


xone wrote:
Wondering if anyone has any recent intel on new E mount zooms. Anyone use the 200-600? I've guessing it's poor.

I find the tamron 17-28 is pretty poor in IR for deeper filters- there is definitely a diffuse hotspot that develops. Keeping it wide open and with less deep filters are ok though but it's not amazing for a wide in terms fo contrast.

In some circumstances it is ok and I keep it but it is not amazing.

I'm considering the tamron 70-180. I expect similar passable but not amazing IR performance. Tamron seems a safer bet than sigma or
...Show more →


Your wish is my command. I took my newly converted A7III out today for the first time to test some lenses, and also happened to have my brand new Sony 600 GM with me, I took a few shots of geese and horse in JPEG with the 600 GM. I can't believe my first shots with the 600 GM are infrared!. I do have the 200-600 but just didn't have it with me today, what subjects would you want to see?

---------------------------------------------

indusphoto wrote:
Don't do IR conversion. Get it converted to full spectrum. With full spectrum you can put appropriate filter on lens and get anything you want. I use my Full spectrum with a cheap 720nm IR filter for BW and Channel Inversion, a IR/UV blocking filter to get normal photos, and without *any* filter to get somewhat surreal colors in outdoor light.



Thank you, but too late . I bought a converted A6000 a couple months ago to try out, I knew I would like IF so I bought an A7III for conversion and sold the A6000, I am committed, so to speak,

Today I did some crude tests to see how the hot spots are in the following lenses:

Sony Zeiss 16-35 f4
Sony 16-35 GM
Tamron 17-28
Sigma 14-24 f2.4
Sony 28-60

Yes, I own all these UWA zooms, . Will need to thin the herds, obviously. Here is the link to see the test results for those who are interested: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iuf7lp14eta5y7v/AAAYm3Z9OL5kgiSVyGXCx4Yqa?dl=0

































Mar 26, 2021 at 08:44 PM
xone
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #5 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
Your wish is my command. I took my newly converted A7III out today for the first time to test some lenses, and also happened to have my brand new Sony 600 GM with me, I took a few shots of geese and horse in JPEG with the 600 GM. I can't believe my first shots with the 600 GM are infrared!. I do have the 200-600 but just didn't have it with me today, what subjects would you want to see?



Thank you- I will never buy a 600gm so more interested in 200-600 and others.
The best test for IR without a dedicated test setup (like how ed noble uses on his site- https://www.edwardnoble.com/hotspot-info - I have also replicated this), is to take the lens out on a sunny day with clear sky and shoot things away from the sun with large sections if clear sky in the frame.

A good test is to aim at trees in bottom third or possibly sides of frame with sun behind you with the bulk of the middle of the frame open to sky. Hotspots are most visible in this test. Then cycle through the zoom ranges and apertures.

Photos that have subject matter in the middle of the frame of foliage or anything really are not very useful for evaluating hotspots.

Another good demonstrative hotspot test is to shoot a quick video and move around and cycle through apertures and zoom ranges and call out settings (use deep filter and try to aim at clear sky the same way). This often shows way more than a bunch of photos with minimal time/ effort.

Here is a video test i did of the tamron 17-28 off my balcony to show someone: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6IHDR9RXk

Just a little movement from video can make the hotspots and problems stand out, especially for the more diffuse and subtle hotspots.



Mar 27, 2021 at 02:18 AM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #6 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Still figuring out IR processing. All with an 850nm converted Sony a6000. All of these shots were with the Samyang 12mm f2.
















Mar 28, 2021 at 10:46 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #7 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


TGPhotography wrote:
Still figuring out IR processing. All with an 850nm converted Sony a6000. All of these shots were with the Samyang 12mm f2.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51078178973_880857a136_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51078943831_0483bac5d2_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51078257753_b950867a6c_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51009788870_424c9bff23_k.jpg




I like them 3rd one a lot. Two from me from yesterday.













Mar 28, 2021 at 02:37 PM
RSSmith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #8 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


So I'm getting another X-Pro 2 to convert after all. My son decided it was time to go full frame and just bought himself an a7C. After extensive negotiations, I traded him my FE35/1.8 (I have the 35 GM coming some day) for his X-Pro 2. We're going out to visit him in Scottsdale this week and I'll pick up the X-Pro 2 and send it off to Kolari when we get home.

Meanwhile, here's a recent image taken with the old X-E1 and XF35/1.4 ...


20210321 088b by Ron Smith, on Flickr



Mar 28, 2021 at 04:01 PM
eriet30
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #9 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Final verdict for me is it was a fad..... put the super blue IR A6000 on the sale forum today


Mar 28, 2021 at 05:15 PM
Asael
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #10 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


For me, since I have been doing IR for over 20 years, I can say for sure, it is NOT a fad


Mar 28, 2021 at 06:38 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Asael
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #11 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


BTW, I think that the color IR that seems to be the current trend, is what most people start off with, and they over saturate and of course it becomes a fad. And I say this as someone who used and loved EIR for years. I think the best way to start with IR is with 720nm, not full spectrum and not false color. Just my opinion.. .


Mar 28, 2021 at 06:44 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #12 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


A few shots from this afternoon.
























Mar 29, 2021 at 09:09 PM
JimH123
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #13 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Changing the content a bit, I have had a Sony A6300 converted by having the CFA stripped and the removal of the UV-IR filter so that it is Full Spectrum. It takes wonderful B&W and IR images.

What I wanted to mention was that when there are high contrast edges, I can see what looks like lossy compression artifacts. These consists of alternating light and dark pixels.

If I convert the RAW file using an app called Monochrome2DNG and then process the DNG file, I can see them.

If I only work with the original RAW file, it will be subject to demosaicing before apps such as Lightroom or Photoshop can process the image, and under this scenario, the artifacts can no longer be seen. But since demosaicing has been done, the detail is not as good.

I had seen some older threads where you were discussing this same problem and was wondering if you ever reached a conclusion on it? Found you by Googling and went and signed up for this Forum to see if I could learn anything more.

One thing I can say about IR photography with the CFA removed, I am loving it. It is like going back in time and shooting with Tri-X film. All the various color filters can be used with the corresponding effects.

My favorite lens for this is the old Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro (made by Komine). Sharp from corner to corner.



Mar 31, 2021 at 12:45 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #14 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
A few shots from this afternoon.


Just beautiful images Douglas!!! Just superb! IR just makes these images pop!!!! Really fine framing of the image!
Dan




Mar 31, 2021 at 08:40 AM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #15 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Still liking IR. Hotspots have been a non issue. One of the IR lens databases listed the samyang/Rokinon 12mm/f2 as good under one brand and bad under the other brand despite it being the same lens. I am sure some of my images have a hotspot of some kind.

I have noticed flare is much worse with IR.

All images taken with an 850 nm converted Sony a6000.

Pond


Flare


Trees


Trail


Steps



Apr 03, 2021 at 09:17 PM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #16 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


1 and 3 are my favorites of this set, Tyler. Yes, flare is really bad. I can't have the sun anywhere near the frame. I have been shooting mostly with the Sony Zeiss 16-34 f4, it does have hot spot but too too bad.



















Apr 03, 2021 at 09:25 PM
jaggedhorizon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #17 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


There are some great images in this thread.

Besides my Sony cameras, I have my old Canon 6D and several good lenses that I never got around to selling (initially I was using them adapted, then I built up my Sony lens collection). I don't NEED the money from the sale (and I'm awful at selling stuff anyway, I only ever attract lowballers) so I'm thinking of converting the 6D to IR.

I've been reading the articles on Kolarivision and looking at images. I'm pretty sure that I would want to experiment with both colour and BW, hence I wouldn't want an 850nm conversion. Would you recommend that I go for 590nm or full spectrum plus a couple of additional filters?



Apr 04, 2021 at 05:38 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #18 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


jaggedhorizon wrote:
There are some great images in this thread.

Besides my Sony cameras, I have my old Canon 6D and several good lenses that I never got around to selling (initially I was using them adapted, then I built up my Sony lens collection). I don't NEED the money from the sale (and I'm awful at selling stuff anyway, I only ever attract lowballers) so I'm thinking of converting the 6D to IR.

I've been reading the articles on Kolarivision and looking at images. I'm pretty sure that I would want to experiment with both colour and BW, hence I wouldn't want
...Show more →

Hope this helps:




Apr 04, 2021 at 05:58 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #19 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
Your wish is my command. I took my newly converted A7III out today for the first time to test some lenses, and also happened to have my brand new Sony 600 GM with me, I took a few shots of geese and horse in JPEG with the 600 GM. I can't believe my first shots with the 600 GM are infrared!. I do have the 200-600 but just didn't have it with me today, what subjects would you want to see?

---------------------------------------------

Thank you, but too late . I bought a converted A6000 a couple months ago to try out, I
...Show more →

Just beautiful, sharp and wonderful images!!!
Thanks for the YT "IR Filter" link Douglas!!
Dan




Apr 04, 2021 at 08:02 AM
RSSmith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #20 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Superstition Mountains, Apache Junction, Arizona
X-E1 + XF50/2.0


20210401 106b by Ron Smith, on Flickr



Apr 04, 2021 at 08:47 AM
1       2       3       …       6              8       …       14       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       6              8       …       14       15       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account