fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       …       14       15       end
  

Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?

  
 
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


RSSmith wrote:
Thanks Douglas!

My a7RIII is NOT converted - I tried it with some Kolari filters and got terrible results.

My X-E1 is almost 8 years old and I've been thinking about getting a somewhat newer Fuji to replace it.
I'm still using a X-Pro2 and might pick up another to have converted.

How's the A6000?

Ron


Ron, I had an A6000 years ago when I moved to Sony, sold it after I moved to full frame. Nice little camera but without the front exposure dial it will take some getting used it. I think this was the biggest complaint about the new A7C too. I read the A6000 is very good for infrared conversion. I only took a couple shots yesterday at noon. I am attracted to the B&W looks of infrared photography. May try to shoot some architectural stuff in Washington DC before the leaves come back in spring. I may get a used A7III to convert if I find one cheap enough on the B&S board. Having IBIS and same battery as my other cameras will simplify things bit.



Jan 23, 2021 at 03:43 PM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


RSSmith wrote:
Thanks Douglas!

My a7RIII is NOT converted - I tried it with some Kolari filters and got terrible results.

My X-E1 is almost 8 years old and I've been thinking about getting a somewhat newer Fuji to replace it.
I'm still using a X-Pro2 and might pick up another to have converted.

How's the A6000?

Ron


I converted an old fuji X-A1, results were pretty good but the one thing I can say with some conviction is that shooting ir in bright light is utter guesswork without a viewfinder.



Jan 23, 2021 at 05:37 PM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Prefer this composition over the other one as the path leads into the bridge a bit.
A7r full spectrum + tamron 17-28 + Zomei 850nm filter







Jan 23, 2021 at 05:38 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Not a fad, more of a scientific curiosity. Can be very, very dramatic and other-worldly, and used to artistic purposes.

I feel similarly about computer mash-up, mock-up images based on bits of "reality," then made into something that could never be in reality.

Both types are great in their own way, but I prefer representational photography.



Jan 23, 2021 at 06:36 PM
cputeq
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #5 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Here I was, going to sell an old Fuji X-A3 (24MP Bayer, not Xtrans) I have lying around...and after browsing this thread at random, now I'm probably going to drop $275 to convert it. Thanks guys :P


Jan 24, 2021 at 12:07 AM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #6 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


My D700 has the standard peeling rubber and the optional fogged rear screen. Worked perfectly. I had it converted to 830 IR. Now it has become my most used camera. The beauty of a modded camera is seeing what I am shooting and focus checking. I have noticed that cloud detail is amazing with 830. Today's bright gray skies turned into several shades of gray. I did not see it with the naked eye or visible light D800.

I bought a modded 720NM D70s here 10 years ago. Set up perfectly and I still use it. I tried using a filter on my D70 but tired quickly of all the setup so I bought the D70s. I tried a filter on the D80 and D700 and found I could eat lunch and reads for a while, waiting for one shot.



Jan 24, 2021 at 12:50 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #7 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I thought IR was going to be a fad with me but I always go back and pick up my Sony a6000 especially during the summer but it works great for winter scenes too. While I convert a lot to B&W, I have many color images as well.






















Jan 24, 2021 at 08:39 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #8 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


^^very nice, Bob! I just bought a converted A6000, but am already thinking of getting a cheap A7III to convert


Jan 24, 2021 at 08:50 AM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #9 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


rji2goleez wrote:
I thought IR was going to be a fad with me but I always go back and pick up my Sony a6000 especially during the summer but it works great for winter scenes too. While I convert a lot to B&W, I have many color images as well.


Just stunning work Bob!!!! Just outstanding images!
I love the IR work presented here and other Forums on FM!

I had to look up the dictionary definition of "fad" to see if it fits your subject title Douglas.

Most of it does but the part where it is stated.."short lived" is not so!!!!

Long live IR!!!
Dan

Let us see more please!!!




Jan 24, 2021 at 10:08 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #10 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas Liu wrote:
^^very nice, Bob! I just bought a converted A6000, but am already thinking of getting a cheap A7III to convert


I'm always thinking about upgrading but the A6000 can get the job done. Thanks!



Jan 24, 2021 at 10:50 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

rji2goleez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Danpbphoto wrote:
Just stunning work Bob!!!! Just outstanding images!
I love the IR work presented here and other Forums on FM!

I had to look up the dictionary definition of "fad" to see if it fits your subject title Douglas.

Most of it does but the part where it is stated.."short lived" is not so!!!!

Long live IR!!!
Dan

Let us see more please!!!



Thank you Dan!



Jan 24, 2021 at 10:51 AM
wingbatwu
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #12 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I have an A7Rii converted to full spectrum and I never noticed the IR led problem described in the top post. Sometimes under specific f stops with certain lenses, you can see sensor artifacts though.


Jan 24, 2021 at 12:26 PM
gbinoz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #13 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


johnahill wrote:
Prefer this composition over the other one as the path leads into the bridge a bit.
A7r full spectrum + tamron 17-28 + Zomei 850nm filter


Nice shot.
Have you done a formal test for hot spots with this lens, as in a plainer background and stepping through the apertures?



Jan 26, 2021 at 05:57 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #14 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


johnahill wrote:
Prefer this composition over the other one as the path leads into the bridge a bit.
A7r full spectrum + tamron 17-28 + Zomei 850nm filter


Nice shot, John! I will be receiving my Tamron 17-28 today, hopefully it doesn't have the hot spot issues...I am also eyeing the small but sharp new Sony 28-60. These two lenses will be my light and compact kit for IR fun. I try not to lug around the big a$$ Sony GM or the Sigma Art lenses.



Jan 26, 2021 at 09:30 AM
motorhead9999
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #15 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I think like everything, a good photo is a good photo, and a bad photo, especially one that is poorly done, is a bad photo. It's no different with IR. Not everything looks good in IR. Somethings look incredible in it. Sometimes the wild colors work, and often times, it doesn't.

I currently have a full spectrum A7riv, and I absolutely love it, and it's always in my kit bag. If I'm outdoors and start thinking in black and white, I almost always will opt for my IR camera to do it.



Jan 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #16 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas Liu wrote:
Nice shot, John! I will be receiving my Tamron 17-28 today, hopefully it doesn't have the hot spot issues...I am also eyeing the small but sharp new Sony 28-60. These two lenses will be my light and compact kit for IR fun. I try not to lug around the big a$$ Sony GM or the Sigma Art lenses.


Nothing formal, but in real world shooting with 760 and 860nm filters i've not seen a problem




Jan 26, 2021 at 11:16 AM
yobvts
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #17 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Apologies for the intrusion - if anyone is interested in picking up an 850nm A6000, please PM me. Thanks.


Feb 07, 2021 at 10:28 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #18 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Footsteps on the bridge, full spectrum A7r, Tamron 17-28, Zomei 850nm filter

Footprints on the Bridge by John Hill, on Flickr



Mar 12, 2021 at 08:09 AM
xone
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #19 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Wondering if anyone has any recent intel on new E mount zooms. Anyone use the 200-600? I've guessing it's poor.

I find the tamron 17-28 is pretty poor in IR for deeper filters- there is definitely a diffuse hotspot that develops. Keeping it wide open and with less deep filters are ok though but it's not amazing for a wide in terms fo contrast.

In some circumstances it is ok and I keep it but it is not amazing.

I'm considering the tamron 70-180. I expect similar passable but not amazing IR performance. Tamron seems a safer bet than sigma or sony though. I would really love a 100-400 that worked in IR. I know the sony is probably bad and recent sigmas are generally awful in IR unfortunately.

I wish tamron did a 100-400, their 70-300 is probably too soft for me.

Are any of the longer canon zooms any good in IR and sharp?



Mar 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM
indusphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #20 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
What I am afraid of is that I will try a couple dozens shots and will never touch it again. I know everyone has different interest, just wondering those who have converted infrared cameras, was it a fad for you or you use it a fair amount?


Don't do IR conversion. Get it converted to full spectrum. With full spectrum you can put appropriate filter on lens and get anything you want. I use my Full spectrum with a cheap 720nm IR filter for BW and Channel Inversion, a IR/UV blocking filter to get normal photos, and without *any* filter to get somewhat surreal colors in outdoor light.





Mar 26, 2021 at 02:06 AM
1       2       3       …       5              7       …       14       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       5              7       …       14       15       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account