fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       13              15       end
  

Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?

  
 
guidostow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I have been using a Canon 5DmIII converted to 720nm. I use the old Canon 28-70 f/2.8 with it and have very few hot spot issues. Of course I'm moving to Sony so I'll need to find a lens that works well with a converted A7RIII...


Oct 28, 2024 at 06:44 PM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #2 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


guidostow wrote:
I have been using a Canon 5DmIII converted to 720nm. I use the old Canon 28-70 f/2.8 with it and have very few hot spot issues. Of course I'm moving to Sony so I'll need to find a lens that works well with a converted A7RIII...


Some Tamron lenses are pretty good with the hot spot issue. There are some discussions in this thread. Joe Carson listed some good Tamron lenses his used. I am currently using the Tamron 17-28 F2.8 on my IR A7III. Before you convert your A7RIII, I recommend that you read through this thread, there are some posts about the banding in sky issues. I learned a very hard lesson last year when I had an A7RIV converted to 830 NM. I had very extensive exchanges with Life Pixel and Korali last year and very recently this year regarding this topic. The quick takeaway is the banding/stripes in sky issue affects cameras with PDAF, Sony is in that camp, the higher the resolution, the higher the NM number, the more visible the banding is. It's barely visible in my 24 MP 830 NM A7III. I really want a higher resolution IR camera so the recommendation is the Canon R5 which uses DDAF(?) instead of PDAF. I already bought the Canon EF 16-35 f4 which is said to be very good with the hot spot issue. I am waiting for the used price for the Canon R5 to come down further before I buy one. I hate using different system but at the moment, if I want a high resolution 830 NM IR camera without the banding issue, there is very little choice.



Oct 29, 2024 at 04:35 AM
guidostow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #3 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
Some Tamron lenses are pretty good with the hot spot issue. There are some discussions in this thread. Joe Carson listed some good Tamron lenses his used. I am currently using the Tamron 17-28 F2.8 on my IR A7III. Before you convert your A7RIII, I recommend that you read through this thread, there are some posts about the banding in sky issues. I learned a very hard lesson last year when I had an A7RIV converted to 830 NM. I had very extensive exchanges with Life Pixel and Korali last year and very recently this year regarding this topic.
...Show more →

Thanks for this! Lots to think about. I mostly use IR for woodland so sky banding would be less or an issue for me. But I still don't want to limit myself. Time to read the thread, maybe the 5DmIII shouldn't head for the block so soon...



Oct 29, 2024 at 05:24 AM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #4 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


liggy wrote:
Haven't touched my IR cameras for a while. Batteries so dead that I had to reset everything.

Was curious about my favorite everyday lens - the 20-70. Took a few shots at 20 and 70, F4, 8 and 13.

At a cursory glance - no hotspots! Didn't look really closely except it was very obvious I need a sensor cleaning.

Too lazy to convert to 1.4mb files and no images really worthy of posting but looks promising for sure. A7 II , 830 or 850nm (forgot which)

just a low quality jpeg export from Photos.


Nicely done! Surprised the 20-70 doesn't show much hot spot. I just bought one.




Dec 28, 2024 at 04:57 PM
liggy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #5 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
Nicely done! Surprised the 20-70 doesn't show much hot spot. I just bought one.



That was a pleasant surprise. I love the flexible nature of that lens.



Dec 28, 2024 at 05:40 PM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #6 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


First time to shoot snow with my 830nm IR camera, from the last two days.




Gettysburg Battlefield

  ILCE-7M3    FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 lens    36mm    f/7.1    1/13s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 lens    46mm    f/9.0    1/60s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 lens    28mm    f/9.0    1/15s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 lens    28mm    f/8.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 lens    31mm    f/10.0    1/20s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    20mm    f/8.0    1/20s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    21mm    f/8.0    1/15s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  




Jan 09, 2025 at 05:11 AM
StoneCrop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #7 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Anyone have any experience with the Sony 85 1.8 or the Batis 85 1.8 or Sigma 90 2.8 in Infrared? I'm thinking of adding a small bright prime for portraits, to compliment a versatile slow zoom, for a nice IR travel kit.


Mar 24, 2025 at 08:45 PM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #8 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


StoneCrop wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Sony 85 1.8 or the Batis 85 1.8 or Sigma 90 2.8 in Infrared? I'm thinking of adding a small bright prime for portraits, to compliment a versatile slow zoom, for a nice IR travel kit.


I have not tried any of those. The 85s that I have used with IR were the Canon EF 85L II and Contax 85/1.4, both were exceptional.

Jim




Apr 13, 2025 at 09:16 PM
8201
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #9 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


The Sony 85 1.8 is fine for IR.


Apr 14, 2025 at 08:47 AM
StoneCrop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #10 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Thanks! I ended up going with the Sigma 90 2.8, for ultimate compactness. Pleased to report that it works well for IR, only towards the very high f-stops does it show any hotspot.


Apr 20, 2025 at 04:21 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Derek Weston
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #11 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Definitely not a fad.














Apr 23, 2025 at 12:15 AM
Harold Carlson
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #12 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Just got a full spectrum Sony a7r to try out. First time out shooting with it. I gotta say, I like the size and actually like the shutter thunk. Shot with Konica AR 52mm f1.8 and AR 28mm f3.5 at 850nm.




  ILCE-7R    ---- lens    1/200s    400 ISO    +1.0 EV  






  ILCE-7R    ---- lens    1/50s    400 ISO    +1.0 EV  




May 08, 2025 at 08:41 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #13 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Dug out my A7r and went for a walk in Essex, England

Had to remove a LOT of dust from these like it was snowing

PZ 16-35




Tamron 28-75 G2




May 10, 2025 at 01:58 PM
StoneCrop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #14 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Laowa 9mm f/5.6 full frame lens on Sony A7III with Kolari 850nm clip in filter. Surprisingly good in IR! No hotspots to note and good contrast, but it does flare easily. It has color shift towards the edges, so not good for color IR work, but that disappears quickly at 850 converting from black and white with a slight tinge of purple to pure B&W.




May 29, 2025 at 05:29 PM
StoneCrop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #15 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Family portrait
Sony 20-70 f4 at 70mm and f4. This lens is so-so for infrared. At 850nm (internal filter), it has faint hotspots visible wider than 35 mm, though useable at f/4. Stopping down in those focal lengths it becomes unuseable because of the hotspot. 35-70 it's fine through most f-stops, but if I was planning the trip around infrared (which I might do next time since it was at least half my shots), I'd probably take the tamron 28-200 and the tamron 17-28 instead. But 20-70 is such a useful range, and a single lens solution for so many shots, and it was workable (with limitations) for IR.
Here's another one at 70/4:
Cousane Gap



Jun 05, 2025 at 09:02 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #16 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I love taking out my IR converted Rebel and spend some time with it during travels. Provides me with a different outlook on the place.

















































Jun 05, 2025 at 09:57 PM
ifixfxs
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #17 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Traveling light with converted A6300, 10-18 f4 and 28-60 kit. Both lenses do well with IR.
































Jun 08, 2025 at 11:42 PM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #18 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


A couple from a walk after work on the Regents Canal in London





Both Full spectrum A7r, STC Clip-ion IR720 and Sony 28-60



Jun 21, 2025 at 10:58 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #19 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Can anyone share processing tips for IR. I've had 720nm conversions before but the sony colour seems different with way more red.

I have custom white balance set in camera



Jun 21, 2025 at 10:59 AM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #20 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


johnahill wrote:
Can anyone share processing tips for IR. I've had 720nm conversions before but the sony colour seems different with way more red.

I have custom white balance set in camera



This guy has some nice tips that represent much of what I do. Nice that he put in these videos what most of us had to cobble together over 10-15 years. Makes passing it around much easier!

https://m.youtube.com/c/RobSheaPhotography

Jim

Edited on Jun 22, 2025 at 03:14 PM · View previous versions



Jun 21, 2025 at 10:56 PM
1       2       3       …       13              15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       13              15       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account