fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       12              14       15       end
  

Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?

  
 
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Infrared on England's East coast
Full spectrum A7r, Sigma 24/3.5







Apr 21, 2024 at 04:47 PM
Joe Colson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #2 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?




johnahill wrote:
Infrared on England's East coast
Full spectrum A7r, Sigma 24/3.5


Stunning! Wonderful depth and composition.

Joe



Apr 21, 2024 at 06:56 PM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #3 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Thanks Joe


Apr 22, 2024 at 03:11 PM
StoneCrop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #4 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Has anyone used the HSK hot spot killer internal filter with success with Sony 16-35/4 pz g lens or the 20-70/4?
Or with the Sony 70-350 g apsc zoom?

I have those lenses and they make for very versatile lightweight landscape lenses but they all have hotspot issues.

Has anyone tried the 70-200/4 g ii macro zoom for infrared? I’ve heard the 70-300 2.8 gm ii is good.

Also any infraredd experience with Tamron 17-50/4, 150-500, 50-400, or 70-300 zooms?



Apr 22, 2024 at 11:43 PM
Joe Colson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #5 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


The Tamron zooms - 17-28mm, 20-40mm, 70-180mm and 50-400mm - are good for IR. The 28-75mm shows some color bleed (not a distinct hot spot) in the center when shooting false color. It's quite acceptable if converting to b&w. And not bad when shooting false color. I have a friend who uses the Sony 70-200mm f/4 G for IR with good results.

I have not used the HSK hot spot killer internal filter.

Joe



Apr 23, 2024 at 08:45 AM
StoneCrop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #6 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Thanks! Does anyone have experiences with the tamron 70-300, 17-50, or 150-500?


Apr 24, 2024 at 09:56 PM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #7 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


StoneCrop wrote:
Has anyone used the HSK hot spot killer internal filter with success with Sony 16-35/4 pz g lens or the 20-70/4?
Or with the Sony 70-350 g apsc zoom?

I have those lenses and they make for very versatile lightweight landscape lenses but they all have hotspot issues.

Has anyone tried the 70-200/4 g ii macro zoom for infrared? I’ve heard the 70-300 2.8 gm ii is good.

Also any infraredd experience with Tamron 17-50/4, 150-500, 50-400, or 70-300 zooms?


Not with those lenses but with some others. It works well, when the spot is diffuse. If it is sharp and bright, it will get attenuated but not killed.




Apr 24, 2024 at 10:52 PM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #8 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Out in rural Essex with A7r + Sony PZ 16-35, STC clip-in 720 filter












May 13, 2024 at 04:26 PM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #9 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


a7iii full spectrum + 24GM + IR-Chrome + Lake Tahoe
Jim


Peek to Peak by Jim, on Flickr

Scarecrows by Jim, on Flickr

Piste 6 by Jim, on Flickr

Spikes by Jim, on Flickr



May 25, 2024 at 06:52 PM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #10 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


John, Jim, beautiful work!


May 25, 2024 at 10:03 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #11 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Thanks, Douglas!

Now at 720nm...

Tahoe via 720nm:
Scraggle by Jim, on Flickr

Le lac by Jim, on Flickr

Fairy path by Jim, on Flickr

Tall by Jim, on Flickr



Jun 01, 2024 at 02:03 PM
TGPhotography
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #12 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


^ I prefer the black and white version of IR personally. I still use my 850nm IR camera, just don't post the results often.

Don't think I've posted this one before:



Jun 01, 2024 at 10:09 PM
WandringCloud
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #13 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Since my full spectrum conversion on the a7RV the GM wild angle lenes are basically unusable, GM 14 and 24 for example. Does anyone know what the alternatives are?



a7rv+100400gm



Jun 15, 2024 at 07:47 AM
Joe Colson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #14 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


WandringCloud wrote:
Since my full spectrum conversion on the a7RV the GM wild angle lenes are basically unusable, GM 14 and 24 for example. Does anyone know what the alternatives are?


I have a full-spectrum a7RV and use the Tamron 20-40mm and 28-75mm. The Sony 20-70mm f/4 is good as well.

I've used this website as a reference:

https://www.infraredcameraconversions.co.uk/TamronLenses

I'm selling most of my Sony (IR and color) kit, so if you're interested in the two Tamron lenses, send me a PM.

Joe




Jun 15, 2024 at 09:19 AM
WandringCloud
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #15 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Joe Colson wrote:
I have a full-spectrum a7RV and use the Tamron 20-40mm and 28-75mm. The Sony 20-70mm f/4 is good as well.

Joe



Thank you, Joe. I will give it a try.

With 14 GM, the edge smearing won't completely go aways even at F14 and 24GM at F11. The only lenses that I have and which work almost as normal are 35F18, 24105G, 100GM and 100400GM.

40G edge smearing till F6.3, 50/1.2 GM at F4, 50 Macro at F5.6. In case anyone is wondering.

James



Jun 15, 2024 at 09:37 AM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #16 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Just burnt an outing shooting with R72 and the Lee IR-ND 10-stop (which I generally love). It was a very bright morning, and I could not see this in the field, but there was just enough light leakage around the IR-ND that all shots longer than 10 sec (most of my shots) had a visible reflection of the front of the lens covering much of the image.

I had apparently not taken proper care to position it when I switched the bracket from my vis spectrum body to the IR body. Bummer! I should have overridden the Auto LCD and viewfinder brightness when checking the images.

Jim



Jun 15, 2024 at 02:59 PM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #17 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Giving this thread a little bump. Some shots from two weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about the mishap, Jim.




  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    17mm    f/9.0    1/50s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    17mm    f/9.0    1/50s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    28mm    f/9.0    1/80s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    25mm    f/9.0    1/40s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  




Sep 27, 2024 at 03:22 AM
StoneCrop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #18 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Gorgeous shots, Douglas! Very inspiring!


Sep 30, 2024 at 02:05 AM
Douglas L
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #19 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


StoneCrop wrote:
Gorgeous shots, Douglas! Very inspiring!


Thank you very much! Even though I don't use my IR camera often, I love the looks of the shots.



Sep 30, 2024 at 03:59 AM
liggy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #20 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Haven't touched my IR cameras for a while. Batteries so dead that I had to reset everything.

Was curious about my favorite everyday lens - the 20-70. Took a few shots at 20 and 70, F4, 8 and 13.

At a cursory glance - no hotspots! Didn't look really closely except it was very obvious I need a sensor cleaning.

Too lazy to convert to 1.4mb files and no images really worthy of posting but looks promising for sure. A7 II , 830 or 850nm (forgot which)

just a low quality jpeg export from Photos.







Oct 25, 2024 at 06:23 PM
1       2       3       …       12              14       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       12              14       15       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account