fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       11              13       14       15       end
  

Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?

  
 
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


A couple from the Norfolk (UK) coast in September.
Both with full spectrum A7r, STC Clip-in 720nm filter and Tamron 17-28












Nov 16, 2022 at 12:59 PM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #2 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


excuse the uncorrected dust bunnies in the 1st one ;-)



Nov 16, 2022 at 01:00 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #3 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I am finding that, with my Nikons, the older AF-D lenses work better than modern lenses. The D70s died and I found a D70 720NM on Ebay for very cheap. It works well with my 18-70, 50 f1,8, Sigma 24-105 and 17-50 f2,8. I still have NO idea why the D3400 focus is so finicky.




Nov 16, 2022 at 02:41 PM
Malcolm Stitt
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #4 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I see a lot of people converting very high end cameras. My old Oly E-P2 is quite sufficient for me, except I wish it had a viewfinder. A cheap, previously converted full spectrum camera and an r72 camera gives you an option that doesn't hurt to keep around.







Nov 18, 2022 at 01:15 PM
trogdon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #5 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Converted my old a7r to Full Spectrum to use exclusively with an Aerochrome filter. Really enjoying it with the Sony 28-60 and 55mm Zony!

DSC05666 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

DSC05740 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

DSC05751 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

DSC05762 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

DSC05770 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr



Dec 05, 2022 at 11:40 PM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #6 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Austin...SUPER!!!!!!!!!!
Dan



Dec 07, 2022 at 11:31 AM
Malcolm Stitt
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #7 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?



Aerochrome filter can be stunning. Love the cactus pic.
trogdon wrote:
Converted my old a7r to Full Spectrum to use exclusively with an Aerochrome filter. Really enjoying it with the Sony 28-60 and 55mm Zony!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52545443162_fac19a779a_b.jpgDSC05666 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52546202099_c33bf7ce03_b.jpgDSC05740 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52546202024_a5147fca6d_b.jpgDSC05751 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52546385535_4f63f281ee_b.jpgDSC05762 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52546201884_3652ff41c2_b.jpgDSC05770 by Austin Bellvue, on Flickr




Dec 08, 2022 at 07:02 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #8 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Just wanted to give this thread a bump! Some unusual subjects for IR from last month. I kept debating whether I should bring my IR camera to my upcoming trip to Portugal. I think I will




  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    17mm    f/8.0    1/25s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    28mm    f/9.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    27mm    f/9.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    28mm    f/9.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    26mm    f/3.2    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    27mm    f/6.3    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  




Apr 28, 2023 at 06:18 AM
guitardirky
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #9 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I've got an A7iii in for modification now to 720nm. Looking forward to the change in visual perspective.


Apr 30, 2023 at 06:56 PM
Grenache
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #10 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Kauai via helicopter and IR.
Jim


a7iii + IR-Chrome + Sony 24GM:
Ruby Ridge by Jim, on Flickr

Beautiful Gloom by Jim, on Flickr

Riverland by Jim, on Flickr

Red Shoulder by Jim, on Flickr



May 02, 2023 at 03:03 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #11 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


It's still not a fad for me, although I don't get to use it more often. These are from yesterday.

Last year I did an 830nm conversion on my A7RIV, the sky showed very visible stripes/banding. I was told this is "because reflections off the masked-off photosites being used to detect focus, and a conversion can exacerbate these reflections, especially the high NM wavelengths passed by your 830nm filter. ", I was also told that the stripes/banding are more visible in high resolution Sony/Nikon bodies, even the 42MP A7RIII.


I would really like to get a Sony with higher resolution than the A7III I currently have. I am wondering if anyone had an A7RIII converted?

Thanks,




  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    20mm    f/8.0    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    17mm    f/7.1    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    24mm    f/8.0    1/200s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    26mm    f/8.0    1/125s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  ILCE-7M3    E 17-28mm F2.8-2.8 lens    20mm    f/7.1    1/125s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Mar 23, 2024 at 07:47 AM
guitardirky
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #12 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
It's still not a fad for me, although I don't get to use it more often. These are from yesterday.

I would really like to get a Sony with higher resolution than the A7III I currently have. I am wondering if anyone had an A7RIII converted?

Thanks,


I just got back from Africa a few months back with my A7iii that was converted and I was looking at getting something different to gain more resolution as well. Seeing your comment on the A7R IV has me a little hesitant as I wanted to get either the A7IV, A7RIV or A7RV done. Might just be easier to get the A7RIII instead.



Mar 23, 2024 at 08:38 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #13 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


guitardirky wrote:
I just got back from Africa a few months back with my A7iii that was converted and I was looking at getting something different to gain more resolution as well. Seeing your comment on the A7R IV has me a little hesitant as I wanted to get either the A7IV, A7RIV or A7RV done. Might just be easier to get the A7RIII instead.


According to Life Pixel, who converted both of my A7III and A7RIV, even the A7RIII would show the stripes. My A7RIV was a hot mess, I sent it back to have it converted back to factory configuration, wasted $800 round trip...

Here is a heavily cropped file from the converted A7RIV. The stripes are everywhere, but really visible in sky.




  ILCE-7RM4    FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 lens    28mm    f/9.5    1/30s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  




Mar 23, 2024 at 08:56 AM
Joe Colson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #14 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any stripes in the images from my recently converted (to full spectrum by LifePixel) Sony a7RV. Here's one example and a significant crop:












Mar 23, 2024 at 09:44 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #15 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Joe Colson wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any stripes in the images from my recently converted (to full spectrum by LifePixel) Sony a7RV. Here's one example and a significant crop:


Thanks for the samples, Joe. I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that your A7RV is full spectrum conversion and mine was 830nm conversion. You need to use a filter in front of the sensor, correct?



Mar 23, 2024 at 10:13 AM
Joe Colson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #16 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Douglas L wrote:
Thanks for the samples, Joe. I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that your A7RV is full spectrum conversion and mine was 830nm conversion. You need to use a filter in front of the sensor, correct?


Yes, I use Kolari magnetic drop-in filters with the a7RV. I highly recommend them. And when I want to shoot color, I use a Kolari drop-in Hot Mirror filter. I first tried full-spectrum and drop-in filters with an a7IV with good success.

BTW, I have no commercial relationship with either LifePixel or Kolari.

Joe




Mar 23, 2024 at 10:18 AM
Douglas L
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #17 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Joe Colson wrote:
Yes, I use Kolari magnetic drop-in filters with the a7RV. I highly recommend them. And when I want to shoot color, I use a Kolari drop-in Hot Mirror filter. I first tried full-spectrum and drop-in filters with an a7IV with good success.

BTW, I have no commercial relationship with either LifePixel or Kolari.

Joe



Thanks for the info, Joe. I will pm you with further questions if you don't mind.



Mar 23, 2024 at 10:41 AM
Joe Colson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #18 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


Sounds good.

Joe



Mar 23, 2024 at 11:11 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #19 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


I shot no IR at all last year, hope to be able to get back at it now that spring is around the corner.
I sold my Tamron 17-28 to move to PZ16-35, so will be using predominantly the 21mm Loxia



Mar 23, 2024 at 05:16 PM
RomanMF
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #20 · Is Infrared Photography a Fad (for you)?


My A7R II is falling apart so I might grab a used A7R III and get that converted instead. I really want a full spectrum cam!


Mar 23, 2024 at 06:24 PM
1       2       3       …       11              13       14       15       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       11              13       14       15       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account