Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              end

Archive 2020 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Carles77

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Hi!

I have both lenses, I have to decide with one to keep and it's like a nightmare. My thoughts today, having both lenses for about 10 days:

-Sigma is incredible sharp, samyang has a very good sharpness but Sigma is in another league.
-Sigma colors are more real but cooler and sometimes boring compared to the Samyang that has warmer colors and sometimes easily to be more creative with your photos.
-Samyang has better bokeh, not so much, but is creamy and more pleasing to my eyes.
-Samyang at infinity is poor at 1.4 - 1-8, corners are bad, so it's not a landscape lens at night with large aperture. Sigma is all the time sharp, no matter the aperture, in the center and in the corners.
-Samyang has no distortion, Sigma has many distortion, is well corrected with last version of lightroom, but you have to remember to select it in post.
-Samyang renders light more diffuse, Sigma seems that has more quality but Samyang seems more old school lens.
-Samyang is lighter and for me fits better in my sony, Sigma is short and has aperture ring and button.

So...

-The final image shows clearly that sigma is better lens in technical details, but Samyang shows a more interesting image.
-Samyang is better for portraits because of the bokeh, warmer colors and rendering in general.
-Sigma is technically perfect but has not the same soul as the samyang.
-If you want a more creative lens Samyang is your lens, or if you plan to use it mostly for portraits too (I don't know if Samyang color cast could effect too much the skin tones). Also if you don't want to spend 500 more.
-If you like incredible sharpness, neutral color rendition, strong contrast Sigma is your lens.

Today I'm not sure which one keep, my brain says Sigma, my heart Samyang (my pocket too).

Best,
Carles.

Mar 16, 2021 at 01:57 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Carles77 wrote:
So...

-The final image shows clearly that sigma is better lens in technical details, but Samyang shows a more interesting image.

This is the most important thing in the end IMHO.
All these lenses are sharp enough, it's about what gives you the most interesting looking image that matches your taste best.

Mar 16, 2021 at 05:26 PM
NJPhotographer
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Carles77 wrote:
Hi!

I have both lenses, I have to decide with one to keep and it's like a nightmare. My thoughts today, having both lenses for about 10 days:

-Sigma is incredible sharp, samyang has a very good sharpness but Sigma is in another league.
-Sigma colors are more real but cooler and sometimes boring compared to the Samyang that has warmer colors and sometimes easily to be more creative with your photos.
-Samyang has better bokeh, not so much, but is creamy and more pleasing to my eyes.
-Samyang at infinity is poor at 1.4 - 1-8, corners are bad, so it's not
...Show more

That's a great summary. Hard to choose!

Mar 16, 2021 at 08:11 PM
choti001

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

So, I found Rokinon AF 85mm for $435 used, which makes it even cheaper than Sony 85mm f1.8.. Sigma's out of my price range for me (though I am a sucker for Sigma Art lenses)..

I had a chance to use Sony Zeiss SAL 85mm f1.4 via LA-EA5 adapter. I thought the AF was good and there was something special about the images.. I just don't know how this lens compares to the more contemporary lenses out there.. There are few downsides with this lens that the video AF doesn't work via LA-EA5 and also, I can only use this on my Sony A7R IV. has anyone tried this lens on A7 bodies?

Aug 18, 2021 at 02:15 PM
EdwardDye
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I had the SY85, very happy with the IQ but not so much on the AF so I sold it to get the 85 DN, the AF feels much better, IQ feels a little better, is the 85 DN perfect? No, is not as good in both AF and IQ as my 135GM but that thing is crazy, I personally think the 85 DN is the best balance 85mm right now in any system

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:38 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

EdwardDye wrote:
I had the SY85, very happy with the IQ but not so much on the AF so I sold it to get the 85 DN, the AF feels much better, IQ feels a little better, is the 85 DN perfect? No, is not as good in both AF and IQ as my 135GM but that thing is crazy, I personally think the 85 DN is the best balance 85mm right now in any system

I also still think 85DN is the best all-rounder, if you are willing to accept the distortion correction.
I think it even has smoother bokeh than SY85, but with less character overall...

For some reason I don't know though, it's rather unpopular - just check its image thread here .

Aug 19, 2021 at 03:18 AM
Fboss
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I still enjoy using my 85DN a lot and also think it's the best all-rounder.
From what I've seen, the Sony GM may have a slightly better rendering in some cases but is bigger/heavier/costly/not as sharp/AF not as fast.
The SY has the yellow cast, not as sharp, and some users have complained about AF issues.
I had the Sony 85 1.8 and wasn't impressed by the CA and busy bokeh at times. Good sharpness.
Not sure about the Batis ...but the price is similar as the 85DN, no AF button/aperture ring/function button. Some background swirl in some cases, "only" 9 blades, etc.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

j4nu wrote:
Bokeh balls at night.
I can't guarantee the focus was exactly the same, so the size might not be comparable but either way it shows they are pretty similar:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8tj2TGz/0/d875b956/X3/i-8tj2TGz-X3.jpg
Sigma

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bLfNdPm/0/599dfbae/X3/i-bLfNdPm-X3.jpg
Samyang

... and at f2.8, more round on Sigma:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pjjkpcf/0/5f449d4a/X3/i-pjjkpcf-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dg4wCsQ/0/531a947a/X3/i-dg4wCsQ-X3.jpg

That's great info! The Sigma 85/1.4 DG DN has lower optical vignetting in comparison.

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:41 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Fboss wrote:
I still enjoy using my 85DN a lot and also think it's the best all-rounder.
From what I've seen, the Sony GM may have a slightly better rendering in some cases but is bigger/heavier/costly/not as sharp/AF not as fast.
The SY has the yellow cast, not as sharp, and some users have complained about AF issues.
I had the Sony 85 1.8 and wasn't impressed by the CA and busy bokeh at times. Good sharpness.
Not sure about the Batis ...but the price is similar as the 85DN, no AF button/aperture ring/function button. Some background swirl in some cases, "only" 9 blades, etc.

For quickly moving subjects, I get far more images in focus with the Sony 85 GM, big glass and old focus motors aside, than with the Sigma DG DN. The AF of the GM is slower and louder but, in my experience, significantly more accurate than the AF of the Sigma 85 DG DN. I am specifically talking about eye-AF. Even more specifically, eye-AF with frisbee dogs and horses

With too many Sigma lenses, the 85 DG DN included, eye-AF with moving (not posing) subjects is too often off by a few centimeters or more. Only the 65/2 DG DN, in my hands, is consistently accurate.

Aug 19, 2021 at 01:29 PM
Fboss
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I haven't noticed any eye AF accuracy issue with my 85DN mounted on the A7riii. But I don't often shoot fast moving subjects with it. So far it has been silent, quick enough, and accurate. The focus plane and eyes are really sharp (as with the 35GM). I haven't tried scenarios like a dog running towards me. Out of curiosity I will test it next time my daughter does some horseback riding.
I also used a 24-70 DN during 1+ year and never noticed some eye AF issues.

My AF settings:
Always AF-C , priority = AF , Wide focus area, AF track sens = 5 (responsive) , AF w shutter = OFF . AF-ON button is mapped to AF- On , AEL mapped to Reg-AF (configured to center) - AF On.

@smpetty, which camera do you use ?

Aug 19, 2021 at 03:28 PM
Immortal
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Fboss wrote:
I haven't noticed any eye AF accuracy issue with my 85DN mounted on the A7riii. But I don't often shoot fast moving subjects with it. So far it has been silent, quick enough, and accurate. The focus plane and eyes are really sharp (as with the 35GM). I haven't tried scenarios like a dog running towards me. Out of curiosity I will test it next time my daughter does some horseback riding.
I also used a 24-70 DN during 1+ year and never noticed some eye AF issues.

My AF settings:
Always AF-C , priority = AF , Wide focus area, AF track
...Show more

There is no issue until your subject starts moving really fast - like running, especialy if they run towards you. This is even more obvious with animals. That's not only Sigma 85 problem but pretty much all their new lenses have the same issue. It's not as bad as with Samyangs 85 but Tamron and Sony lenses are way more accurate and reliable in those situations. No body can fix this. Sigmas AF implementation simply isn't that great for action atm. This is also true for their latest 150-600 mm lens.

Aug 19, 2021 at 06:25 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Immortal wrote:
There is no issue until your subject starts moving really fast - like running, especialy if they run towards you. This is even more obvious with animals. That's not only Sigma 85 problem but pretty much all their new lenses have the same issue. It's not as bad as with Samyangs 85 but Tamron and Sony lenses are way more accurate and reliable in those situations. No body can fix this. Sigmas AF implementation simply isn't that great for action atm. This is also true for their latest 150-600 mm lens.

Yeah, that's my impression as well.
Semi-static or slower movement is rather ok, but fast movement movement towards the camera, especially at closer distances makes the AF fall apart...
I've never used 85GM but I think I read here that once it locks onto the target it's pretty reliable, but the initial lock is slow. It's the other way around in Sigma's case (which is pretty speedy to to get the initial lock).
I also seem to get more keepers if I refocus before each shot instead of relying on just holding the shutter button down...

Aug 20, 2021 at 03:32 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

j4nu wrote:
Yeah, that's my impression as well.
Semi-static or slower movement is rather ok, but fast movement movement towards the camera, especially at closer distances makes the AF fall apart...
I've never used 85GM but I think I read here that once it locks onto the target it's pretty reliable, but the initial lock is slow. It's the other way around in Sigma's case (which is pretty speedy to to get the initial lock).
I also seem to get more keepers if I refocus before each shot instead of relying on just holding the shutter button down...

The 85 GM locks on very quickly. The focus motors make a bit of noise as it works hard to keep rapidly moving subjects in focus, but it does pretty well - a lot better than the Sigma DG DN 85 Art. I'm using an A1 at f/1.4 to f/2, AF-C, Wide or Zone, 10 fps, and large center spot metering. My testing was primarily my dogs running away and towards me for frisbees from 1 to 30 yards away. Also, horses and dogs moving obliquely or laterally with respect to the camera. I was amazed at how well the 85 GM kept up. The Sigma paled in direct comparison.

Aug 20, 2021 at 09:03 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

smpetty wrote:
The 85 GM locks on very quickly. The focus motors make a bit of noise as it works hard to keep rapidly moving subjects in focus, but it does pretty well - a lot better than the Sigma DG DN 85 Art. I'm using an A1 at f/1.4 to f/2, AF-C, Wide or Zone, 10 fps, and large center spot metering. My testing was primarily my dogs running away and towards me for frisbees from 1 to 30 yards away. Also, horses and dogs moving obliquely or laterally with respect to the camera. I was amazed at how well the
...Show more

Well, you're the first person to tell me that 85GM focuses very quickly but maybe it has something to do with A1. I noticed 50ZA focused significantly faster on A1 compared to A7III (or that was my impression at least) ...

Aug 20, 2021 at 09:15 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.