Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       end

Archive 2020 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Many different takes so often it's best to put facts in front of people, with less opinion. Summing up this effort by Sigma: is it top flight design practice or a kludge aimed at getting the result? Each decides for him/herself. It goes to reputation, you may think.

Sep 08, 2020 at 05:38 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

philip_pj wrote:
Many different takes so often it's best to put facts in front of people, with less opinion. Summing up this effort by Sigma: is it top flight design practice or a kludge aimed at getting the result? Each decides for him/herself. It goes to reputation, you may think.

Agreed, more facts, less bias. Let people decide for themselves...

Sep 09, 2020 at 01:53 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Inspired by other comments about flare, I tried comparing the two (f8, handheld):

* Sig

* Sam

* Sig

* Sam

* Sig

* Sam

* Sig

* Sam

To be honest, I found it difficult to check this reliably so take these with a grain of salt ...
Next time I'll try with a tripod.

Sep 09, 2020 at 11:39 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

A quick and dirty AF-C speed comparison videos:

Sigma:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-HPJd3Mr/0/37a483b6/1280/i-HPJd3Mr-1280.mp4

Samyang:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5dNbkJZ/0/447715da/1280/i-5dNbkJZ-1280.mp4

I hope I labelled the vidoes correctly, as you can see it's rather hard to spot the difference .

And another quick attempt at bokeh comparison:

Sigma:

Samyang:

Of course, when I was changing lenses the sunlight also changed a bit + it's hard to say if focus was pinpoint the same, still it seems to me that Sigma is actually smoother somehow...

Sep 13, 2020 at 06:02 PM
Poefolk
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Thank you for all of these tests and images. I'm getting the Sigma! I love my Sigma 35 f/1.2 too.

Sep 13, 2020 at 06:16 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Thanks for the tests. I know at these times it can be hard but more portrait shots would have been helpful as that's where these lenses get used more often. I want to try my 85L on Sony to see if it is better or worse than my 85mm f1.8 FE but too many days of very bad air quality here in CA.

Sep 13, 2020 at 06:41 PM
Photosbydlee
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Thanks for the great comparison. I admittedly have my Samyang for sale in hopes of switching to the Art but this makes me question it.

This is my first Samyang lens so Iím just worried it wonít last as long as the Sigma would due to the cheaper build. Iím very careful with my gear but I remember Dustin Abbott mentioning that his copy was a bit soft after a slight bump which made me question its longevity.

The build and longevity are actually my main factor for swapping, Iím perfectly happy with the Samyang IQ wise aside from the cat eyed shape bokeh towards the edges and at less round shape at f/2.8.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:20 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

bobby350z wrote:
Thanks for the tests. I know at these times it can be hard but more portrait shots would have been helpful as that's where these lenses get used more often. I want to try my 85L on Sony to see if it is better or worse than my 85mm f1.8 FE but too many days of very bad air quality here in CA.

I wanted to focus on somewhat repeatable comparisons between the two lenses in this thread, but I understand 85mm is typically used for portraits. For closer shots, you will see the typical blur of a fast 85, so it's hard to judge the bokeh betwen the two. That's why I wanted to find some scenes where there are transition zones from sharp thru blurry to complete blur...
My kids are the opposite of cooperative when it comes to photos, so no chance of repeatable portrait session while switching lenses ...

Sep 14, 2020 at 06:26 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I understand, same here. And with the covid and fires, no models shoots either for me.

Sep 14, 2020 at 08:54 AM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I have the samyang and love it. One of the few lenses I feel confident shooting wide open. As far as afs is concerned on these sony cameras....I long abandoned it...not consistent. I only use af c with back button and rarely have a miss.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

bobby350z wrote:

I have both lenses. The sony is more critically sharp at medium f stops corner to corner, but the samyang has that wonderful bokeh wide open and thats how I use it most for single and couples portraits.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:25 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

the samyang build has been very solid for me....it is nice and light compared to others, but seems very well and simply put together.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

echelonphoto wrote:
I have both lenses. The sony is more critically sharp at medium f stops corner to corner, but the samyang has that wonderful bokeh wide open and thats how I use it most for single and couples portraits.

Good to know that. Does anyone use 85L II on their Sony's? I still have that lens from my Canon days and want to see how it compares with Sony offerings.

Sep 14, 2020 at 03:03 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

bobby350z wrote:
Good to know that. Does anyone use 85L II on their Sony's? I still have that lens from my Canon days and want to see how it compares with Sony offerings.

I have scene videos of still photographers using this lens and it is quite good. Your af , however, will be really slow. Canon lenses on sony bodies give good results...I quite love my canon 135L on my a7III

Sep 15, 2020 at 08:40 AM
meyerkev248

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

So my sister is getting my Samyang for Christmas, at which point I eventually get to grab either the Sigma, the Samyang again, or the as-yet-(barely-)rumored GM II.

I love my 85 right up until the AF stops working period half an hour before sunset. And of course, flaring issues that it looks like the Sigma knocked the edge off of.

So we'll see what the world looks like when I next need an 85mm prime.

Sep 16, 2020 at 05:08 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Received my DN today.
Light and compact.
Firsts shots show me an incredible lens.
Coming from Samyang it is night and day.
No more yellow cast nor CA.
Resolving power specially at wide apertures and borders is an other league.
Not ready yet to discuss about bokeh, distortion or other aspects.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:57 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

scalanc2 wrote:
Received my DN today.
Light and compact.
Firsts shots show me an incredible lens.
Coming from Samyang it is night and day.
No more yellow cast nor CA.
Resolving power specially at wide apertures and borders is an other league.
Not ready yet to discuss about bokeh, distortion or other aspects.

Are you using it on >24 mpix? To be honest, I didn't see that much difference in sharpness on 24 mpix (yes, Sigma is sharper throughout the frame but not by much imho).

Sep 28, 2020 at 02:31 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

A7Riii.

Sep 28, 2020 at 03:01 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Thanks.

Sep 28, 2020 at 03:05 PM
joe256

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I have the Rokinon/Samyang in mf (Nikon mount on A7R2) which I like. Does anyone know if it has the same optics as the af version ?

Sep 28, 2020 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.