Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end

Archive 2020 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

lora_to
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

The AF version has different optics, e.g. 11 Elements in 8 Groups vs 9 Elements in 7 Groups and completely different arrangement for the MF version.

Sep 28, 2020 at 08:00 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I think the new SY AF version is generally considered the better one (though I don't know if by much).

... a quick magnification ratio comparison from the morning before I had to reluctantly subject myself to home office (set focus to closest possible MF distance, then tried focusing on the "o" letter by moving the camera a bit, all corrections enabled):

*Sigma

*Samyang

Sep 29, 2020 at 04:59 AM
Coltrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

You mentioned you previously had the Sony 85mm 1.8. What was your opinion of it? Did you sell it because you wanted to purchase a 1.4?

Sep 29, 2020 at 07:54 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Coltrane wrote:
You mentioned you previously had the Sony 85mm 1.8. What was your opinion of it? Did you sell it because you wanted to purchase a 1.4?

Yes, I moved from Sony to Samyang, mostly because I wanted that 1.4 blur and Samyang was not a big jump (to me at least) in size & weight. I'll repeat what other said as I agree, Sony was more clinical in its output, while Samyang has more of its own character (and color cast ). Sharpness wise, my copy of SY was really good and I'd say it at least matched Sony, both respectively wide open. AF on the other hand was better on Sony, maybe not that easy to notice at first, but after some time I began to notice SY failing more often on some days (under certain conditions?). I never compared in detail stuff like CA, distortion, etc. so these are just my feelings from shooting both (I never noticed but from what I read also video AF is rather bad on SY)... What I also noticed is the 10 cm longer MFD on SY, as I like to get close to my subjects .
Actually, regarding rendering I still think SY has this "something" that makes its pictures (esp. people) sometimes stand out on its own. I have not noticed that much of "wow" effect with Sony or Sigma, even though Sigma is technically better and produces super clean pictures...

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:05 PM
vdo1
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

j4nu wrote:
[...] character [...]

Back in the days we were getting it with vaseline and stockings

Sep 29, 2020 at 01:24 PM
fotuwe

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Maybe you can give me a suggestion what the better decision is.
I have received very good offers for both the SY (390Ä) and the Sigma (920Ä) and can't decide which one to take.

Background: For years I have been taking mainly portraits on my A7ii and now I'm getting back to photgraphy on the A7iii. The Sigma seems to be the current THE portrait lens, but is it worth the extra cost compared to the SY? I love beautiful soft bokehs, the lens doesn't have to be sharp to the corners (but in the center).

What do you think? Take the Sigma and have peace of mind, or do you prefer the SY?

Nov 28, 2020 at 05:50 AM
Photosbydlee
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

fotuwe wrote:
Maybe you can give me a suggestion what the better decision is.
I have received very good offers for both the SY (390Ä) and the Sigma (920Ä) and can't decide which one to take.

Background: For years I have been taking mainly portraits on my A7ii and now I'm getting back to photgraphy on the A7iii. The Sigma seems to be the current THE portrait lens, but is it worth the extra cost compared to the SY? I love beautiful soft bokehs, the lens doesn't have to be sharp to the corners (but in the center).

What do you think? Take
...Show more

I owned the Samyang and now own the Sigma. I would say the Samyang excels in rendering more than the Sigma, but the Sigma has better sharpness and build. In saying that, the Sigma has very nice rendering but Iíd give the slight edge to the Samyang!

Nov 28, 2020 at 06:22 AM
fotuwe

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Photosbydlee wrote:
I owned the Samyang and now own the Sigma. I would say the Samyang excels in rendering more than the Sigma, but the Sigma has better sharpness and build. In saying that, the Sigma has very nice rendering but Iíd give the slight edge to the Samyang!

So even after selling the Samyang and now owning the new Sigma you would rather go with the Saymang (considering the price difference)? I am ok with spending the extra $$$ on the Sigma - but only if it is really worth it ... and thats a question I somehow can not answer easily

Nov 28, 2020 at 06:55 AM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Samyang produced yellow cast on all images and also a lot of CA.
This is what I considerer for changing.

Nov 28, 2020 at 09:04 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

I agree with Photosbydlee on this one. SY simply adds some magic sauce to some of the photos that come out of it . Sigma is more or less better in nearly every aspect, even the transistion zones which I expected the SY to prevail (which would explain the "magic sauce" a bit at least) are slightly better on the Sigma imho...
Maybe it's the specific combination of lower contrast and more aberrations that give the slight edge to SY when it comes to people shots. I'd still say Sigma is the better all-purpose lens though...

Nov 28, 2020 at 09:10 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

j4nu wrote:
I agree with Photosbydlee on this one. SY simply adds some magic sauce to some of the photos that come out of it . Sigma is more or less better in nearly every aspect, even the transistion zones which I expected the SY to prevail (which would explain the "magic sauce" a bit at least) are slightly better on the Sigma imho...
Maybe it's the specific combination of lower contrast and more aberrations that give the slight edge to SY when it comes to people shots. I'd still say Sigma is the better all-purpose lens though...

In your experience with the Sony 85/1.8, the Sigma 85/1.4, and the Samyang 85/1.4...

1) Which lens has the fastest and most accurate AF?

2) Do you miss the Sony 85/1.8?

3) For a general (not focused on portraits) AF 85/1.8, how would you rank the three in terms of overall IQ?

4) For a general (not focused on portraits) AF 85/1.8, how would you rank the three in terms of value?

Thanks for taking the time and energy to post your results. They are very helpful.

Nov 28, 2020 at 09:49 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

smpetty wrote:
In your experience with the Sony 85/1.8, the Sigma 85/1.4, and the Samyang 85/1.4...

3) For a general (not focused on portraits) AF 85/1.8, how would you rank the three in terms of overall IQ?

4) For a general (not focused on portraits) AF 85/1.8, how would you rank the three in terms of value?

Thanks for taking the time and energy to post your results. They are very helpful.

1) Sony, Sigma, Samyang
I think the biggest difference will be in tracking. I don't really shoot often to capture things in motion, as when I'm chasing my kids I almost always wait for a moment when they slow down a bit. Sigma is generally very fast when minor AF adjustments are needed, but going through the whole range is not instant. Sigma also had some trouble keeping up with my kids erratic movements when I did try to capture them "in full motion". So, in these cases I think Sony will be the best. Samyang was in general similar to Sigma, it just had some "off" days, maybe depending on the lightning, when I would notice more misses then usual.

2) No, but that's because I switched because I wanted the benefits of f1.4 and the difference in size & weight of the Samyang did not bother me. My Samyang was at least as sharp as Sony (both wide open) and I didn't notice any significant increase in aberrations it the photos I took. Then, Sigma I think is closer in its output to Sony, as in "more clinical" than "characterful"... The things that stand out the most for me in Sigma's output is the cleanliness (aberrations-wise) and sharpness (distortion correction is acceptable for me).

3) This is difficult for me to answer, because the reason I switched was f1.4. Disregarding this and accepting Samyangs color cast I would rate the IQ:
Sigma, Samyang, Sony.

4) Again, f1.4 was key for me, but ignoring this I'd say still the 1st place in value goes to Samyang and 2nd/3rd place will depend on how much you care for resolution and nearly APO-ness of the Sigma or AF and size&weight of the Sony...

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:58 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Sigma focuses at least with the same efficensy /precision of the Sony 1.8.
Much better than the GM.
At least in my experience.

Nov 28, 2020 at 01:50 PM
Photosbydlee
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

fotuwe wrote:
So even after selling the Samyang and now owning the new Sigma you would rather go with the Saymang (considering the price difference)? I am ok with spending the extra $$$ on the Sigma - but only if it is really worth it ... and thats a question I somehow can not answer easily

Sorry I should have been more specific, I prefer the Sigma for sure but for the price you canít really go wrong with the Sanyang. The Sigma has a real premium feel to itís build which I personally found to be a good thing that was one of the deciding factors for me to get it.

Nov 28, 2020 at 03:48 PM
Photosbydlee
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

smpetty wrote:

For me it would be

1. The Sony but the Sigma and Samyang are no slouches

2. I owned this prior to the Samyang and it was an amazing lens, it just lacked something special in the rendering area which is what made me want one of the f/1.4ís so no.

3. For me rendering is important so it would be Sigma, Samyang then Sony. I like f/1.4 lenses as even when shooting at f/1.8, they generally have a nicer and softer rendering than f/1.4 lenses. Each one has their strength that they excel at. The Sigma is build and sharpness, the Sanyang is rendering and the Sony is AF. In saying that all 3 are great lenses.

4. This one is a bit tough as where you live can really determine the pricing. For what I paid for all 3, there was only a $100 difference between the Sony and the Samyang so Iíd give it to the Samyang which was $899 AUD. I got the Sigma for $1349 AUD and although itís almost double, it is a very premium lens that is somewhat the whole package so Iíd say the Sigma just slightly. The Samyang is notorious for QC issues too but I was pretty lucky in getting a really good copy!

Nov 28, 2020 at 04:25 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Samyang 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 are remarkable lenses. I also love their minimalist design.

Edited on Sep 27, 2021 at 11:59 AM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2021 at 04:48 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

j4nu wrote:
This was supposed to be a magnification test but was taken over by the overpresent distortion .

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dnBhT6K/0/b944224d/X3/i-dnBhT6K-X3.png
Sigma.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Zcv7dmK/0/927e7897/X3/i-Zcv7dmK-X3.png
Samyang.

Both AF-S at MFD, left side is distortion correction off, right on.

So, as you can see pretty crazy for Sigma...

Wow. I mean like WOW. That much distortion in an EIGHT FIVE (Sigma) ?!

Does the camera profile fix it?

Anyway many thanks for taking the time to do all these tests. I didn't use 85mm that often so the minor compromises of the Samyang over the GM (based on Dustin Abbott's excellent 5 x 85 lenses YT review) was well worth the 33% of the GM price I paid. And now I find I use the 85 more than any other lens I have (even more than my Loxia 21 and Voigtlanders).

BTW I have the 45/1.8 too (I just wanted an AF lens around that FL, my 55m being too much tele for general use). Cracking little lens for the price but of course don't expect perfection for peanuts.

Feb 20, 2021 at 05:38 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

fotuwe wrote:

TBH considering the price difference why not pick up a used Samyang? If you like it you can always buy a new one and sell the old one, if not sell it (get your money back) and buy the Sigma.

FWIW I love my Samyang for portraits (I had the Batis 85 before and sold it).

Feb 20, 2021 at 05:59 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

What Samyang say on their website:

The AF 85mm F1.4 FE is inspired by the optical vision of the MF 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC, which has been loved for its beautiful out-of-focus images since its launch in 2008.

They call the rendering Ďemotionalí.

Edited on Sep 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2021 at 06:02 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · My Samyang 85mm vs Sigma 85mm dg dn f1.4 comparison.

Frogfish wrote:
Wow. I mean like WOW. That much distortion in an EIGHT FIVE (Sigma) ?!

Does the camera profile fix it?

Anyway many thanks for taking the time to do all these tests. I didn't use 85mm that often so the minor compromises of the Samyang over the GM (based on Dustin Abbott's excellent 5 x 85 lenses YT review) was well worth the 33% of the GM price I paid. And now I find I use the 85 more than any other lens I have (even more than my Loxia 21 and Voigtlanders).

BTW I have the 45/1.8 too (I just wanted an
...Show more

Yeah, distortion correction is acceptable for me (both in-camera jpeg and in C1 for raws). I think I posted in this thread comparison between different methods of correcting it.
I agree though, the distortion is huge. I don't think I have any other lens, incudling zooms, that distorts that much. So this is a dealbreaker if somebody does not accept correction in post/camera.
For me though, the overall package can't be beaten (IQ, AF, size/weight) so I don't think I will be chaniging this one as my 85mm choice for a long time (I do think the Samyang has a slight edge for portraits, some "mojo").
A few snaps from my recent vacation breakaway (funny part, my kids were unsuccessfully chasing this bird all the time but once they left to get their own food he landed on their seat and started picking crumbs of the table almost immediately ) :

DSC08303 by Jan U, on Flickr

Same chair, different occupant
DSC08305 by Jan U, on Flickr

Both @f2, as f1.4 is tricky so close...

One more for f2 trio:
DSC08260 by Jan U, on Flickr

Feb 20, 2021 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.