Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              39      
       41              105       106       end

Archive 2017 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

TakenWild
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #1 · p.40 #1 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Yes raws are available, but I don’t think they are fully supported yet. Some programs will read them:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7r-iii/sony-a7r-iiiGALLERY.HTM

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_a7r_iii_review/preview_images&r&a&s

Fred Miranda wrote:
I pre-ordered the 24-105/4 G. I'm sure it willl have compromises in terms of distortion, vignetting and rendering but I'm hopeful Sony was able to keep resolution high enough for most of the range. I see sharp jpeg samples available right now even for the long range.

I am very surprised by how well the 12-24/4 G performs and that's a good sign.
Are there RAWs available for download?

Oct 27, 2017 at 09:27 PM
joelRichards
• •
p.40 #2 · p.40 #2 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

charles.K wrote:
The other real strength for the FE 24-105/f4 G OSS length is videos. I have a number of friends that are shooting weddings and their clients love the 1920x1080 Slo Motion clips alongside their wedding portfolios. The 24-105 needs to have a smooth zoom ring and MF for videos.

I got to handle several at Photo plus and the zoom ring sadly seemed a little stiff but overall I was impressed. Wish it was a little shorter and $200-300 cheaper but seems like a great lens. Definitely my next purchase.

From the images I took it seems sharp on the A9 except in the very corners—not that the showroom floor makes a great place to test. The MF ring, while a tad too loose, seemed like a good implementation of focus by wire. It did NOT seem parfocal but not too far off.

Oct 27, 2017 at 09:41 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #3 · p.40 #3 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

TakenWild wrote:
Yes raws are available, but I don’t think they are fully supported yet. Some programs will read them:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7r-iii/sony-a7r-iiiGALLERY.HTM

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_a7r_iii_review/preview_images&r&a&s

Here's a hack I just used that will let ACR/LR process the A7rIII files by making them look like A7rII files:

exiftool.exe -sonymodelid="ILCE-7RM2" <rawfilename>

Here's a way to convert all files in a given directory:

exiftool -sonymodelid="ILCE-7RM2" -ext ARW -r <dir>

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:38 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.40 #4 · p.40 #4 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Looking at the MTF's Sony published ay 24 and 105mm, it won't be a great performing zoom lens. The 24mm MTF looks a lot like the 28/2 wide open (f2 vs f4), and stopped down to F8. At 105 things are worse. For weddings and snapshots the lens has a nice range, but not enough IQ for my landscape stuff at 42MP. I can barely live with the performance of the FE 28/2 (third copy).

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:14 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.40 #5 · p.40 #5 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

glass half full thing here.

Im so out of the loop I only started shooting a r2 this spring.

I like the r2.....alot....and I hate the r2 alot.

I hate that r3 is so needy in so many ways. Very distracting for me to stay on top of all my settings, etc. They don't make it easy. Looks like r3 is better for sure. Incrementally though.

Does the screen flip out and face forward? Any fool would have added that long time ago.

Batteries....it's the 4k that really drains it. After shooting alot of 4K, for stills I think the old bat is fine .

But bottom line, it can do some very special things

But sony likes to wrap those in yesterday's newspaper

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:41 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.40 #6 · p.40 #6 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

glass half full thing here.

Im so out of the loop I only started shooting a r2 this spring.

I like the r2.....alot....and I hate the r2 alot.

I hate that r3 is so needy in so many ways. Very distracting for me to stay on top of all my settings, etc. They don't make it easy. Looks like r3 is better for sure. Incrementally though.

Does the screen flip out and face forward? Any fool would have added that long time ago.

Batteries....it's the 4k that really drains it. After shooting alot of 4K, for stills I think the old bat is fine .

But bottom line, it can do some very special things

But sony likes to wrap those in yesterday's newspaper

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:41 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.40 #7 · p.40 #7 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

pdmphoto wrote:
Looking at the MTF's Sony published ay 24 and 105mm, it won't be a great performing zoom lens. The 24mm MTF looks a lot like the 28/2 wide open (f2 vs f4), and stopped down to F8. At 105 things are worse. For weddings and snapshots the lens has a nice range, but not enough IQ for my landscape stuff at 42MP. I can barely live with the performance of the FE 28/2 (third copy).

I've been looking for the MTF --- can you post a link?

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:51 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.40 #8 · p.40 #8 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Steve Spencer wrote:
Phillipe, one thing that likely improved, perhaps a fair bit, is the jpeg processing in the new camera. I wouldn't be surprised if jpegs are much nicer. We will have to wait to compare RAWs, however, before we know if there is a real improvement in IQ.

Steve, who am I to argue with you and Fred that Sony didn't improve the JPEG engine?
That said, I am not put off by that possibility, because what I am seeing in the admittedly (very) few shots I am going by is something I can't get out of my II, RAW or not. And I don't expect that even an improved JPEG can be more subtle than a properly processed RAW. On this limited sample, had someone asked me what camera these pics came out of, I would have said: X1-D, a camera that renders tones, colors, transitions, subtle gradations really well IMHO, and quite a bit better than a II, even a II with superb glass. Another (equally gauche) way of putting it is that the III looks to me less "electronic" than the II. And I'll freely admit that I have a bee in my bonnet about this. Why else am I schlepping heavy lenses every day?
I'll wait a bit to see if this is real, in which case Sony will have done a great job in an un-flashy, unspectacular way, or if they did a Canon 5D III.

Oct 28, 2017 at 01:29 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.40 #9 · p.40 #9 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

philber wrote:
Steve, who am I to argue with you and Fred that Sony didn't improve the JPEG engine?
That said, I am not put off by that possibility, because what I am seeing in the admittedly (very) few shots I am going by is something I can't get out of my II, RAW or not. And I don't expect that even an improved JPEG can be more subtle than a properly processed RAW. On this limited sample, had someone asked me what camera these pics came out of, I would have said: X1-D, a camera that renders tones, colors, transitions, subtle
...Show more

Interesting observations, Philipe... I remember reading something about the changed data path and processing gives lower read noise in the A7r3. Maybe it won’t be measurable in DR, but in cleaner, smoother looking files? Just guess.

One thing that strikes me when loading up a Phase One file in Capture One Pro is how clean and smooth those files are. It is difficult to quantify for sure, but those smooth transitions and gradations are nice indeed!

Oct 28, 2017 at 01:43 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.40 #10 · p.40 #10 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I have been waiting for a7xxx models and I am thrilled they launched this. I am going to buy one as soon as I can. Even an A7R2 was ok for my needs but I didn’t want to feel bad because I knew they will launch something as soon as I bought the old guy.
Looks like a great camera.

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:18 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.40 #11 · p.40 #11 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Question: I remember reading that A7R has a higher viewfinder zoom magnification (14.4) than A7RM2. Does anybody knows, what is this value for the Mark III?

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:23 AM
dgpfotografia
• •
p.40 #12 · p.40 #12 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Nice, this is one of the reviews I wanted to read about this lens... together with Guy bronco wall tests

Fred Miranda wrote:
I pre-ordered the 24-105/4 G. I'm sure it willl have compromises in terms of distortion, vignetting and rendering but I'm hopeful Sony was able to keep resolution high enough for most of the range. I see sharp jpeg samples available right now even for the long range.

I am very surprised by how well the 12-24/4 G performs and that's a good sign.
Are there RAWs available for download?

Oct 28, 2017 at 03:43 AM
dgpfotografia
• •
p.40 #13 · p.40 #13 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

I will look more at the future roadmap for Medium Format sensors from Sony, they announces for next year a 100MPx sensor for medium format size like the one in the Fuji GFX and they also announced a 150MPx one for complete full frame 645 sensor size...
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/04/sony-plans-release-150mp-medium-format-sensor-2018/

If an A9r happens, it will share more blood with those sensors than with actual ones.

GMPhotography wrote:
Well Sony has a 50mpx CMOS already in Play for Medium format and I have not been paying attention but I think 100mpx as well. Now if you took the 100mpx and cut it to 24x35 not sure what that gives us but this is also different technology too so not sure they can take that and actually use it in 35mm. Problem or could be a problem is getting a 60mpx 35mm format with pixels wells that small. So maybe until that tech comes along we are in a holding pattern. But like to leave that really up to
...Show more

Oct 28, 2017 at 03:48 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.40 #14 · p.40 #14 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

CalBoy87 wrote:
Question: I remember reading that A7R has a higher viewfinder zoom magnification (14.4) than A7RM2. Does anybody knows, what is this value for the Mark III?

I don't think it's been stated but I would expect it to be the same as A7RII. Along with the electronic shutter scan time, and probably the DR.

It looks like the sensor is largely the same as the A7RII, but the signal processing chain immediately behind the sensor has been beefed up to support higher data rate and some new functionality.

dgpfotografia wrote:
I will look more at the future roadmap for Medium Format sensors from Sony, they announces for next year a 100MPx sensor for medium format size like the one in the Fuji GFX

100MP and the Fuji GFX really starts to make sense (provided they don't go off the deep end with pricing). Interestingly pixel pitch would be the same as 60MP FF and 24MP APS-C.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:15 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.40 #15 · p.40 #15 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

DavidBM wrote:
I've been looking for the MTF --- can you post a link?

I have found the MTF for the 24-105/4 in the Alpha Library app on my ipad. To me the MTF at 24mm seems to indicate less astigmatism than in the Zony 24-70/4. This is, if I read it correctly.

Search for "Sony Corporation" to find the app.

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:27 AM
Ayoul
• •
p.40 #16 · p.40 #16 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

Hi, just in case you missed them :

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7988675397/sony-a7r-iii-sample-gallery

The 2 cityscapes samples at 24mm f/4 and f/5.6.

Even if cityscapes are not the most challenging subjects, it seems pretty good to me for a 42 Mpx sensor, at 24mm and wide open (or close) on a 24-105... No? I've never owned any 24-105, so I don't know really well what are considered as "good" or "bad" results for this kind of lens...

Oct 28, 2017 at 05:47 AM
TakenWild
• • •
p.40 #17 · p.40 #17 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

New 24-105mm details.. it’s not going to be a sharp as the GM 24-70 or a CY 35-70 @f8, but no surprises there.

Not good enough for a landscape lens for me, but could be a nice travel/family lens for some people.

G 24-105

GM 24-70

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:07 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.40 #18 · p.40 #18 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

For me it’s all I’m really looking for is a good PR type lens. I have my primes when it counts

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:26 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.40 #19 · p.40 #19 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

The MTF's are always good to review, but the sample shots look excellent, particularly at 105mm.

Oct 28, 2017 at 06:29 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.40 #20 · p.40 #20 · Pre-orders open! Sony A7R III and FE 24-105mm f/4 OSS lens!

TakenWild wrote:
New 24-105mm details.. it’s not going to be a sharp as the GM 24-70 or a CY 35-70 @f8, but no surprises there.

Not good enough for a landscape lens for me, but could be a nice travel/family lens for some people.

Thanks for posting these MTFs, but I don't think they help us much as they are theoretical MTFs and they are quite high at f/8. They show what looks like corner weaknesses at 24mm, but at f/4 and not really at f/8. At 105 there is much the same story the corners look a bit weak at f/4, but quite as good but perhaps not as good as 24mm at f/8. The bottom line is that these MTFs, which I would take with a huge grain of salt, look very good to excellent when stopped down to f/8 and they show some corner weakness at f/4. I certainly would not rule it out as a landscape lens from these MTFs, in fact I think they look better stopped down than the 24-70 GM, but again it is very hard to tell anything from such MTFs.

Edited on Oct 28, 2017 at 07:05 AM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2017 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.