FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2015 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

If there is a battery grip on the camera, and you are using the correct Really Right Stuff L bracket for the battery grip, the fit where the plate attaches to the battery grip would be identical, because it is the same battery grip for both the 5D3 and the 5DS. The only issue might be where the cables exit the camera, but all reports for that area seem to say that the cables are OK for the two different camera models. And in fact, RRS does not offer a different L bracket for a 5DS or 5DSR with a grip on it. They only offer an L bracket for the 5DS/R for no battery grip involved. As far as the fit of the battery grip on to each of the camera models, that is something that Canon would work out. I don't have battery grips on any of my 5D models, so I can not compare. But part of the reason I do not like battery grips is because of the potential for flexing between the grip and the camera, due to design, or due to the attachment screw being a bit loose.

The discussion of differences between the two camera models that RRS mentioned on their site, and that I confirmed in a post above, all relates to an L bracket mounted directly to the bottom of the camera, and how it interfaces and contacts that camera.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:14 AM
Jeff Fenske
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Roland W wrote:
If there is a battery grip on the camera, and you are using the correct Really Right Stuff L bracket for the battery grip, the fit where the plate attaches to the battery grip would be identical, because it is the same battery grip for both the 5D3 and the 5DS. The only issue might be where the cables exit the camera, but all reports for that area seem to say that the cables are OK for the two different camera models. And in fact, RRS does not offer a different L bracket for a 5DS or 5DSR with
...Show more

It looks like RRS makes a plate specifically for the *1D3 with battery grip*, and is only 1 piece, unlike the beefier and heavier 1DX version that they're saying this new, overkill 5DsR plate will be like.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EOS-5D-Mark-III/BGE11-L-L-Plate-for-BG-E11-Grip.html

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Jeff Fenske
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Rob573 wrote:
The day O pre-ordered my Canon EOS 5DS and my Canon EOS 5DS-"R" I went ahead and ordered 2 each of the EOS MARK 5 D III L Plate (the one one for use with the Canon BG-E11 Battery Grip (As I use the battery grip on all my canon bodies due to my business).
I am pleased to report that the RRS plates installed easily an look well. The L Plates are tight and secure without forcing them into place. The cable guide works well wit this L Plate from the Canon EOS Mark III.
At this time I see
...Show more

Well said! The 5D3 L-plate seems to fit without any movement at all, at least for now. Could this change after years of use? I doubt it, but if so, then aluminum tape may be necessary in some places. But why don't they make a lighter, one-piece plate, instead of this overbuilt, heavy, beefy thing? Their statement: "To see a similar example of modular plate design in action, check out our *robust* L-Plate Set for the larger Canon 1DX."

This is HORRIBLE, and a disturbing trend! For now, we have the option to get the lighter 5D3 version, but what if the 5DsR2 no longer fits a lighter weight, currently built plate? I hope RRS reconsiders, and makes a one-piece model for the majority of us 5DsR users, who don't want to carry around 5 more ounces (ALMOST 1/3 POUND!), and as you say, one-piece is usually better than two, which is maybe why they have to make it so much heavier (the 1DX bracket is 5.1 oz. heavier — 8.8 oz. verses 3.7 oz. for the 5D3 plate).

[Maybe the difference would be more like 1/4 POUND, though, because the 1DX is taller.]

Many of us hike with our cameras, and handhold them at times. 5 ounces that serve no purpose can be a lot, especially as we get older. Canon spends thousands of hours making their cameras as lightweight as possible, and RRS does this?!!

The 5DsR body is actually slightly LIGHTER than the 5D3, so why make a heavier plate for it? The earlier design of the 5D2 and 5D3 plates stood the test of 6 years. If it was sturdy enough for them it's sturdy enough for the 5DsR. Maybe a few users are going to use the 2.6 pound Zeiss Otus 85mm, but the current, lightweight design is probably stout enough for that too. Many have used the heavy 14-24mm Nikon on the 5D3 without problems. I know that longer lenses would show more movement, but the 14-24mm is often used to shoot stars, and the current, BEEFY-ENOUGH L-plate works perfectly.

Maybe RRS is trying to appease those who believe that 50MPs will require a lot more rigidity. But it won't. If the 5D2 and 5D3 brackets were properly designed to survive the most detailed pixel peeping for sharpness, the 5DsR will also.

I have a lot of RRS gear, and everything seems to be perfectly designed to be stout enough without overkill, so far. But this is ridiculous!

Please, RRS, reconsider, and build a standard, STOUT-ENOUGH, 1-piece plate for this too.

The thought of carrying an extra 1/4 pound around for no reason makes is repulsive, and doesn't seem to be in line with RRS' previous design achievements.

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:41 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I strongly agree.

First, I'm a fan or RSS. I own several of their heads and a bunch of L-plates, lens plates, and other odds and ends. Eventually I will own one of their tripods. (I'm waiting for my current non-RRS tripod to wear out just a bit more first.) I find their equipment to be very well designed and constructed, and it is worth the cost. I recommend it to others who ask.

I had their L-plate for the original 5D, and I still have their L-plate for the 5DII. With only one tiny quibble (a tiny bit more space between the upper part of the plate and the side of the 5DII would have been nice), I love the way the 5DII plate has worked. Because it is compact and light I simply leave it on the body at all times, even when shooting handheld. The plate is solid, quick and reliable to use, and the camera/plate assembly fits nicely into the bags I use for my gear when traveling or when hiking.

I do not at all like the idea of a larger, bulkier, and heavier L plate for my 5Ds R. I have the plate on order, but I'm giving serious thought to canceling the order. (On a temporary basis I have one of their basic non-L plates that allows me to use the camera on my BH-55 ball head.) In fact, it another manufacturer does come out with a solid-looking alternative that has more of the profile of the older RRS L plate for my 5DII I will likely purchase that instead.

RRS, I love your products. I own a number of them and I plan to purchase more, including tripods. I'm not thrilled by where you are going with this plate. I've read your explanation, but I'm unconvinced.

Dan

Jeff Fenske wrote:
Well said! The 5D3 L-plate seems to fit without any movement at all, at least for now. Could this change after years of use? I doubt it, but if so, then aluminum tape may be necessary in some places. But why don't they make a lighter, one-piece plate, instead of this overbuilt, heavy, beefy thing? Their statement: "To see a similar example of modular plate design in action, check out our *robust* L-Plate Set for the larger Canon 1DX."

This is HORRIBLE, and a disturbing trend! For now, we have the option to get the lighter 5D3 version, but what
...Show more

Edited on Jun 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Dan,
Take a look at the kirk enterprises website, they list the same l bracket for both the 5d3 and 5ds. I would have gotten that, but I think there is a bit of difference in the size of how the plate fits on the ball head with the quick release levers (need to adjust the tension. In the quick release lever, when using cameras with different plates.

I see this move to the modular plate as an excuse to increase the price by an additional $45, for what I believe to be an interior product.

gdanmitchell wrote:
I strongly agree.

First, I'm a fan or RSS. I own several of their heads and a bunch of L-plates, lens plates, and other odds and ends. Eventually I will own one of their tripods. (I'm waiting for my current non-RRS tripod to wear out just a bit more first.) I find their equipment to be very well designed and constructed, and it is worth the cost. I recommend it to others who ask.

I had their L-plate for the original 5D, and I still have their L-plate for the 5DII. With only one tiny quibble (a tiny bit more space
...Show more

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:17 AM
VKM2F
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I believe it's already been mentioned but I thought I'd add that the Kirk L-bracket for my 5D3 seems to fit beautifully on my 5DsR. I see no need to add a new one. I too noticed they show the same bracket on their website for both models.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

VKM2F wrote:
I believe it's already been mentioned but I thought I'd add that the Kirk L-bracket for my 5D3 seems to fit beautifully on my 5DsR. I see no need to add a new one. I too noticed they show the same bracket on their website for both models.

Thanks to both people who mentioned the Kirk option. I know that Kirk is also a highly regarded company, and I may decide to go that route instead of RRS on this purchase.

Dan

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:33 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

gdanmitchell wrote:
RRS, I love your products. I'm not thrilled by where you are going with this plate. I've read your explanation, but I'm unconvinced.

Well, at least they're consistent.

It could be worse - the original owner of the company probably would have discontinued the 5D3 plate by now if he discovered people were using it on the new camera instead of buying the newer product...

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM
Jeff Fenske
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

gdanmitchell wrote:
Thanks to both people who mentioned the Kirk option. I know that Kirk is also a highly regarded company, and I may decide to go that route instead of RRS on this purchase.

Dan

Yeah, thanks! I wasn't aware that Kirk made brackets that fit the RRS clamps.

The Kirk bracket is basically the same weight as RRS' 5D3 plate too: 3.6 oz. for the Kirk, verses 3.7 oz. for the RRS, verses 8.8 oz. for the RRS 1DX, which further confirms that RRS' 1DX-style 5DsR bracket is OVERKILL and OVERWEIGHT!

The Kirk: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/876159-REG/Kirk_BL_5D3_BL_5DII_L_Bracket_for_Canon.html

Jun 19, 2015 at 01:52 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I understand that many would like the lightest possible L bracket for the 5DS and 5DSR, but there is a tradeoff in features that needs to be considered. First remember that the new L bracket from Really Right Stuff is likely going to be similar to the two part modular one for the 7D2, and that one comes in at 5.8 ounces including the hex key. So the new one for the 5DS and SR will likely be in the 6.5 ounce range I would guess.

The RRS modular L bracket for the 5DS should end up providing several features that a 5D3 style plate would not. You will get the option to only use the bottom plate, which is common for video situations. You will get the option to mount the side leg of the L bracket either flush with the camera, or out away from it to provide clearance for cables. You will get a bracket that is more rigidly coupled to the bottom of the camera, to provide the best support on a tripod. You will likely get an L bracket that is more rigid when the camera is mounted in portrait orientation. And you will get a place to optionally store a hex wrench right on the L bracket.

The tradeoff for all of that is of course more weight, and higher cost. I am very glad for all those features, and look forward to my RRS L bracket when it ships. I do think that a lighter weight simple version would be nice to have available, but I am not convinced that RRS would ever consider designing that. Assuming that the Kirk bracket does indeed fit well, it may provide that light weight alternative.

Jun 19, 2015 at 03:26 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Roland W wrote:
You will get a bracket that is more rigidly coupled to the bottom of the camera, to provide the best support on a tripod.

Well at least this one is plain wrong. Anytime you take something that would be one piece, and split it in two with a screw in the middle, there's no way that the resulting product would be BETTER at stiffness / support, unless you really over-engineer it (by adding huge amounts of mass).

Trust me, I have the RRS 1DX plate, and it's flimsier than the 1Ds3 plate. I have seen one 1DX L-plate simply break off. My 5D3 plate fits just fine, and my Kirk L-plate just arrived and I'll screw it on tonight, and we'll see. I will even post some photos (hopefully to Jeffrey's standards) tonight, even though my macro lens is out on loan.

Jun 19, 2015 at 03:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Roland, I hear what you are saying, but...

- I don't need an L-plate that is more rigid than the quite excellent and rigid RRS L-plates for the 5D, 5DII (both of which I have used), and the 5DIII.

- I am uninterested in an L-plate that converts to a bottom plate only. If I wanted that I would purchase a bottom plate only. I only use an L-plate when I shoot.

- The Kirk L-plate already solves the spacing issue you mention using a viable alternative that maintains the same smaller size and lighter weight.

- The weight and bulk are not insignificant issues for me, and in more than one way.

- A place to store a hex wrench is not very interesting to me, especially if it more than doubles the weight of the L-plate.

Again, I like RRS gear and I own a number of RRS items. My preference is to use a RRS product for the new camera. I pre-ordered the RRS unit sight-unseen before they offered any information about its design — because I have had good experiences with their products previously.

However, RRS is not the only fish in the sea. Kirk is a fine and credible company, and they seem to feel that the new camera — with roughly the same size and shape, and cables in essentially the same place — can be served by an L-plate that is designed much like the excellent previous L-plates from RRS that have worked so well.

I hope RRS is hearing their customers on this issue.

I'm very interested in hearing direct reports from those using the Kirk plate on the 5Ds or 5Ds R.

Dan

Roland W wrote:
I understand that many would like the lightest possible L bracket for the 5DS and 5DSR, but there is a tradeoff in features that needs to be considered. First remember that the new L bracket from Really Right Stuff is likely going to be similar to the two part modular one for the 7D2, and that one comes in at 5.8 ounces including the hex key. So the new one for the 5DS and SR will likely be in the 6.5 ounce range I would guess.

The RRS modular L bracket for the 5DS should end up providing several
...Show more

Jun 19, 2015 at 03:59 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

I wrote the folks at RRS asking about the new L-bracket and the use of the existing 5D3 bracket on the 5Ds body. Their reply:

"Thank you for contacting us about this new camera. Whenever a new version of a camera is released, the first thing we always test is whether or not the previous generation plate will work. That being said, we are extremely picky about the fit and function of our plates on every camera body, because our customers demand a perfect fit and function. There are three specific issues that required a re-design and a new plate for this new camera.

1) new camera does not sit level on the existing plate

2) new camera does not sit flush against the existing plate

3) minor changes to the port side of the camera affect the L-portion fit of the existing plate on the new camera"

Not having a 5Ds body of my own yet, but being a mechanical design engineer and CNC machinist, I believe that even though some members here think that their 5D3 L-brackets are fitting the new body, they apparently are not fitting adequately to the quality levels that RRS strives to maintain. I understand and appreciate these tiny differences that may not be perceived by most people. Still, that leaves me with the two piece bracket in my future. I'm sure it will work just fine and I will nit even think about once it is mounts.

Jun 19, 2015 at 04:30 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

What about the L plate from Promedia gear? I've been using couple of their universal L plates for 2-3 years now.

http://www.promediagear.com/Canon_c_21.html

Jun 19, 2015 at 04:47 PM
Jeff Fenske
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

beauport wrote:
Good to hear this. I ordered a new plate for the 5DSr from RRS and the pre-order price was $140. Last week I got an email from them I'll copy in below.
Thanks so much for your pre-order for our B5DS-L L-plate for the new Canon EOS-5DS & -5DSR cameras. Due to a design change that we had not anticipated initially, the price for the L-plate has increased by $45. The new price for the L-plate is $185 instead of $140. We think you'll really like the changes:
• Plate is a modular two-piece design: a base plate and a separate L-component.
• Modular
...Show more

Since the 5DsR is even slightly lighter than the 5D3 and not larger, how can a more *robust* and heavier, two-piece L-plate be "the best combination of weight and strength," when the single plate design has been proven true for at least six years in the 5D2 and 5D3?

Our use of Finite Element Analysis software allows Really Right Stuff to design and deliver plates with the best possible combination of weight and strength.

To see a similar example of modular plate design in action, check out our *robust* L-Plate Set for the *larger* Canon 1DX.

The design of the previous versions seem to be "really right."

Why is the prior "possible combination of weight and strength" really wrong now?

Why go 2-piece, robust when a reworked 1-piece would work just fine, Really Right Stuff?

Jun 19, 2015 at 04:54 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Jeff, you're preaching to the choir. Ask RRS if you need further answers.

Jun 19, 2015 at 05:35 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

If I'm using the l-bracket to use on a tripod, I'm using a cable release, so the ability to adjust the k bracket is not an advantage.

You may not have been stopped by airport security screening because of the hex key- I have. It a waste of time and unnecessary stress when traveling.

Roland W wrote:

The RRS modular L bracket for the 5DS should end up providing several
...Show more

Edited on Jun 19, 2015 at 05:43 PM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2015 at 05:40 PM
Rob573
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

The only change I can see they would possibly need to make would be to slot the hole where the mounting screw attaches to the tripod mount of the camera, thereby allowing the L'Plate to slide further away from the left side of the camera making more room for the "new" cable support brackets...

Jun 19, 2015 at 05:42 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Khurram,

Always put tools of any kind in your checked bag when flying. Hex wrenches included. But take it with you, if your bracket gets loose, you will be unhappy.

Jun 19, 2015 at 05:52 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Photo: RRS plate on 5DS R

Jeffrey wrote:
Khurram,

Always put tools of any kind in your checked bag when flying. Hex wrenches included. But take it with you, if your bracket gets loose, you will be unhappy.

Ordinarily the hex key is in my checked bag. I just forgot that there was a hex key in the l bracket of the 1dx.

Jun 19, 2015 at 06:25 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.