Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1999      
       2001              4228       4229       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

elbeasto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2000 #1 · p.2000 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Steve, another classy blue hour shot. No HDR here?

Thanks mate, no, while some of my low light scapes may have a bit of a rich post style, none of them are HDR and are all one exposure. Except if I need to blend in or out something that got in the way, or I want in the shot.

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:27 AM
agentbird
• • •
p.2000 #2 · p.2000 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Congratulations on reaching 2000 pages!

Here are two showing some stars and flare with the 45mm pc-e.

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:45 AM
deang001
• • •
p.2000 #3 · p.2000 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Happy 2000th !!!

Well done Curtis ... what a beautiful piece of photographic cyberspace you have put together And well done to everyone who has made this the super friendly place it is. Long live NMF lenses (on Nikon cameras)!!

Dug up my first post and images on this thread (and forum) from April 23rd 2011 ... page 175 ... the 105/2.5 Ai-S was my first MF lens and I love it just as much today as when I first got it.

deang001 wrote:
What a thread ! This discussion will be quoted so much in the future as an excellent reference point for those interested in manual focus Nikon lenses.

Went for a stroll with friends yesterday after Easter lunch and took some photos with my first AI-S lens, the 105mm 2.5. Never thought I'd enjoying manually focusing so much.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:10 AM
MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2000 #4 · p.2000 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

deang001 wrote:
Happy 2000th !!!

Well done Curtis ... what a beautiful piece of photographic cyberspace you have put together And well done to everyone who has made this the super friendly place it is. Long live NMF lenses (on Nikon cameras)!!

Dug up my first post and images on this thread (and forum) from April 23rd 2011 ... page 175 ... the 105/2.5 Ai-S was my first MF lens and I love it just as much today as when I first got it.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for reposting these pics, the one of the boats is beautiful especially. You started with some great shots and you've kept up the high standard, even improving on it!

Having just aquired my very own 105mm I am in the process of falling in love with her but I can tell we will have a long and prosperous relationship together. Being a bit geeky I looked up the history of this lens on the Nikon 1001 nights series (number 5) and I guess many people on this forum owe a small bit of thanks to Shimizu-san who designed the lens.

I cannot wait to have some time to mount this lens on some tubes, a certain person on this thread did a lot of work with this lens on 20mm of tubes around about page 23 and got some amazing results so I look forward to trying to do the same. (incidently the same person tells us on page 23 that he's done buying MF lenses, and I think he says the same on page 1997. )

Looking forward to more of your work Dean!

And everyone else, congratulations on 2,000 pages.

Kind regards,
Mark.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:53 AM
dgjean
• • •
p.2000 #5 · p.2000 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

agentbird wrote:
Congratulations on reaching 2000 pages!

Here are two showing some stars and flare with the 45mm pc-e.

Superb PC-E shooting, Agentbird. Here's one with the 85 PC-E:

D3s & PC-E Nikkor 85/2.8D

I Spy by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:00 AM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2000 #6 · p.2000 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt OHarver wrote:
I really like the second one! But they all are very nice and the colors pop.

Agreed on that second one, really nice - what beautiful landscape and colours. The panorama is also really nice. Your first set with the fog was also great, love the "SUV's" ready for the school run.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:01 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2000 #7 · p.2000 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Monty - I like the portrait of John, he's probably a marshmallow inside.

Matt - What a beautiful line up, that 85mm is one BIG chunk of glass! Maybe next year one will find it's way in my bag. About the corn, just for decoration.

Scott - Thanks. ISO 2500 is VERY clean, and by nature is cleaner than the D7000. But unless you pixel peep I find the D7000 can handle up to 3200 with relative ease.

Ed - Another great set, you sure you don't live around here?

Chuong - Now that is TOO funny!

Mark - Don't worry about the "long winded explanation". SOME of us are talkers and like it. Nice story and set of images.

Dean - I remember the boat picture. I'm so glad you found us to share your exotic images from HK. I have ALWAYS loved your style of street shooting. Let's see some more.

Don - Love the kiss.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:29 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2000 #8 · p.2000 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another from yesterday while having the 180mm mounted. I think I'll end up using my 180 more on the D600 than my D7000. I struggle with it on my DX.

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    180mm    f/4.0    1/180s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:33 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2000 #9 · p.2000 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Ray, the dragonfly is amazing (P1963)

Rinie, the hay bales comp and colours are tops

Mishu - I think the monastery B&W is one of your best images. Good luck with the D600.

Laura - the 1V1 in your hands is excellent. How good is the LCD in bright light?

Scott and Don - I went to the Nikki blog and loved your individual interpretations of your world through her eyes. This really is a marvelous project and thanks again to Ben for his generosity.

Dylan - your picture of Arthur is so good and the story quite disturbing for sheer lack of responsibility on his part.

Everyone else between P1963 and P2000 - some excellent shots and good comments that have helped keep me sane while sitting up in bed. If I were to comment on every image I'd probably add 3 more pages on my own!!

Great to be up to date and good to be back.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:39 AM
kings_freak
• • •
p.2000 #10 · p.2000 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Wow, 2000 pages!! You guys (and gals) have put up some incredible work. Thank you all for sharing!

Tony

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.2000 #11 · p.2000 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

"If I were to comment on every image I'd probably add 3 more pages on my own!!"

Don't even try Peter, you'll get a headache! Good to see you back, hope you had a wonderful trip.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:44 AM
saph
• • • •
p.2000 #12 · p.2000 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 105 2.5 is a pleasure and adding extension tubes to it seems to be natural for the lens.

Dug up page 23 and found this exact quote from that certain person:

"I guess I'm done buying manual focus lenses... unless, of course, they're chipped."

Well I now have each of the 9 slots in the non-cpu list filled, so I know I am finally done

BTW I see Peter is back from his safari. Peter, that much driving every day will do anyone in, hope you are healed soon and look forward to seeing your safari photos.

Samy

MarkdV wrote:
Hi Dean,

Thanks for reposting these pics, the one of the boats is beautiful especially. You started with some great shots and you've kept up the high standard, even improving on it!

Having just aquired my very own 105mm I am in the process of falling in love with her but I can tell we will have a long and prosperous relationship together. Being a bit geeky I looked up the history of this lens on the Nikon 1001 nights series (number 5) and I guess many people on this forum owe a small bit of thanks to Shimizu-san who designed the
...Show more

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:47 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2000 #13 · p.2000 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Very busy these days... but I could not avoid to stop for congratulating you all for the great images you are keep posting and to take off my hat for Curtis on this unbelievable 2k page.

Happy shooting everyone!

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:33 AM
rdst
• •
p.2000 #14 · p.2000 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Mishu01 wrote:
Very busy these days... but I could not avoid to stop for congratulating you all for the great images you are keep posting and to take off my hat for Curtis on this unbelievable 2k page.

Happy shooting everyone!

+ 1

Waiting for a Nikkor 2/135 AIS in perfect condition which I was looking for a long time. Hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow and when the weather will be better next week few new pics from my side.

Rolf

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:24 AM
JimmyChoo
• •
p.2000 #15 · p.2000 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi floks, I have been a silent lurker on this thread for a long time. I find you folks here to be a friendly lot, courteous and pleasant to each other that I am attracted to join in the fun if I may.

I have learned a few things from here alone, like what are the good MF lenses and which are not. I don't know whether to blame you all here or say that you inspired me to add more to my very old collection of MF lenses .

Two weeks ago I acquired a pristine 28mm f2.8 ais and have been very pleased with it. The images are really sharp and contrasty. It is so easy to use as a walk around lens. With a small aperture like f8 the DOF is from <2 metres to infinity; and I can use it like a fixed focus lens.

And a few days after the 28mm, a 180mm f2.8 ED ais arrived! A quick test of the 180 proved it to be very good and there was no need to send it back. A week after the 180mm, I saw an ad for another 28mm f2.8 ais but with Super Integrated Coating. It had a serial number 82xxxx proving the SIC. Needless to say I had to get it. Now I have it; and I am torn between the two 28mm lenses, but I know (I know!) I will have to let go of the first one. Unless someone can convince me that there is not much difference in image quality between the two, then I'll keep the first one because it looks better and is pristine cosmetically. We easily get taken in by looks.

In the last few days I found myself looking at the 200mm f4 AI and AIS. And while writing this I am texting with a guy dealing to buy from him his 200mm lens! I must be going crazy! I keep telling myself that I already have the 180mm and therefore do not need a 200mm lens. On top of which I haven't even put the 180 through its paces yet. But I am tempted because the 200mm is in condition 9/10 and the price is ONLY about USD122. Should I get it? "Don't you get it?" That's what my wife will say. And she would be right as I already have the 180mm.

Before I go off to think about the 200mm, here's a recent shot with my 105mmf2.5 AI'd:

_D8S9244 by jimmychooshoots, on Flickr
D800 f5.6 1/500s iso100

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 12:06 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:33 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2000 #16 · p.2000 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

JimmyChoo wrote:

Hi floks, I have been a silent lurker on this thread for a long time. I find you folks here to be a friendly lot, courteous and pleasant to each other that I am attracted to join in the fun if I may.

I have learned a few things from here alone, like what are the good MF lenses and which are not. I don't know whether to blame you all here or say that you inspired me to add more to my very old collection of MF lenses .

Two weeks ago I acquired a pristine 28mm f2.8 ais and have
...Show more

Hi Jimmy,
Welcome to the group! You definability have it, MFNAS!!!! THe first two MF lenses I bought were the same as your first two. THe 28mm f2.8 ai-s and the 180mm. BOth are GREAT lenses. THe 28 is crazy sharp when taking pictures "up close"

I don't know whether to blame you all here

We just blame Curtis, he has broad shoulders and can take the kidding!

Monty

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:41 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2000 #17 · p.2000 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Another from yesterday while having the 180mm mounted. I think I'll end up using my 180 more on the D600 than my D7000. I struggle with it on my DX.

Very nice!!

Monty

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:48 AM
raboof
• • •
p.2000 #18 · p.2000 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

JimmyChoo - Welcome and...good luck finding remedies.

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:49 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2000 #19 · p.2000 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Big Appa wrote:
Thanks folks, for the kind words on the fog and color shots. Here are some from a visit up in that same
area, but with a little sunshine. I say a little, the clouds and sun were playing peekaboo.
I do prefer the 50 1.8 for landscape, better at infinity, I think.

Beautiful! Nice work, wonderful fall colors!!!!

Monty

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.2000 #20 · p.2000 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Well I guess since we are on page 2000 and 39999 posts, I'll add 40000 and tell Curtis congrats!

Matt

Oct 04, 2012 at 12:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password