New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              2165       2166       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This thread is devoted to those photographers who have a deep affection for manual focus Nikon lenses, specifically those lenses with either Nikkor or Series E Nikon labels. For much of the history of this thread we asked that folks posting photos not only use these Nikon lenses, but also that they be mounted on Nikon cameras. After much deliberation and discussion, we decided to remove that requirement so that folks enjoying these lenses on other camera systems can participate in this conversation that focuses on LENSES, manual focus lenses with a Nikon badge. You're welcome to join us...

There are two appreciation threads now appearing on the Nikon forum and I believe it is time to give a little love to the wide range of excellent manual focus lenses that has been produced by Nikon over the years. Perhaps it is true that evangelists more often come from the recently converted, so please forgive me for my enthusiasm. I bought my first Nikon digital camera six months ago and had never shot manual focus when playing on the Canon side of the world. But my first Nikon manual focus lens, about which I initiated another thread on this subject, the 105 f/2.5 AI-s, launched me into this new world. Today I picked up my EIGHTH manual focus lens produced by Nikon from a lovely Japanese gentleman I met through craigslist. He'd just bought a digital camera and was excited about shooting with AF lenses. His loss, my gain.

This is what my kit of MF lenses looks like...

By request, left to right: 20 f/2.8 AI-s, 28 f/2.8 AI-s, 35 f/2 AI-s, 50 f/1.2 AI-s, 105 f/2.5 AI-s, 135 f/2.8 AI, 200 f/4 AI-s, 180 f/2.8 AI-s

But this isn't about showing off lenses, it is about sharing with one another the best that these lenses can produce. As I said on another thread, it is time for Nikon users to celebrate lenses that more often are talked about on the Alternative Gear forum where they are being mounted on cameras from other manufacturers. I say, lets have one thread where we can talk about MF lenses we love and share the photos we've taken with them. I'll start us out with a less than spectacular shot I grabbed yesterday afternoon after a pristine 135 f/2.8 AI lens arrived. This was shot wide open. (I've shared so many recent photos taken with the 50 f/1.2 and 105 f/2.5 I figure a change of pace is in order.)

So come on down folks and share your delight with us...

Edited on Jun 19, 2017 at 02:20 PM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2010 at 02:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
Total Posts: 43405
Featured Thread wins: 17 times
Received Likes: 70900

Due to the length of this thread, only recent posts are available here. Older posts can be viewed from the archive by clicking this link:

View older replies
saph
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

66090007 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Nippon Kogaku 3.5cm f3.5 W-Nikkor LTM lens (circa 1949), Leica IIIc (circa 1940), Neopan 400 (circa a lot later, but already discontinued)

Mar 16, 2017 at 05:44 AM
saph
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Kav, the Marine Christmas delivery (did he just step off the ramp of that open transport ( ) and the F3 film pic of the engine maintenance are fantastic. Keep them coming!

Andy, that golden ant is amazing. Looks like a 3-D computer rendering!

Ronny, the green northern lights with the low low sun on the horizon are breathtaking. Again

George, cool post with the W-Nikkor lens, that should motivate me to take a gear pic soon.

Jay, you and Reagan can drive up to Rochester to visit Scott and see the real thing. Snow babies on a store shelf doesn't cut it

Buddy, enjoying the Lumi Amy series, but the last one is precious, what a photo moment!!!

Philippe, that is not the Paris Reagan is pining for

Scott, glad most of the white stuff skipped us here, you seem to enjoy it a lot more anyway

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:00 AM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

mp356 wrote:
The storm intensifies...... Woke up to 18 inches of snow and it has continued all day today. Taken with the 55 f3.5 Ai. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Somewhere out there buried in the snow is a UPS truck with a 300 f/4E PF ED VR lens with my name on it. It may never be found. Tracking UPS sure doesn't know. Spring 2018 maybe

Mary

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:06 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for all comments and likes, you are too kind.
Two more from Rome.

The "Lupa Capitolina", symbol of Rome:

Lupa capitolina, Roma by Jose, on Flickr

D610 + Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 ai-s @ 45-50mm, ISO 1600, wide open at 1/30s.
Possibly a copy made ~ 1000-1100 AD from an original of 5th century BC. Capitoline Museum.

And, sorry Philippe - I cannot avoit it , Madame Mère's balcony in the Palazzo Bonaparte:

Green covered balcony at Palazzo Bonaparte, Rome. by Jose, on Flickr

D610 + Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5E @150mm hand held, ISO 100, f/8 at 1/50s. 4 shots pano.
The green covered balcony is where Madame Mère (mother of Napoleon I) used to past time watching Via del Corso and Piazza Venezia traffic. Very bad idea to put that security camera in the balcony. She lived in Rome from 1816 until her death in 1836.

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:15 AM
GeorgeBo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/486/33296264712_21c9291de5_b.jpg66090007 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Nippon Kogaku 3.5cm f3.5 W-Nikkor LTM lens (circa 1949), Leica IIIc (circa 1940), Neopan 400 (circa a lot later, but already discontinued)

Love that film shot and the equipment used
I have a couple rolls I need to send off, just deciding where. I want to get my negatives back.

George

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:24 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

cadman342001 wrote:
saph wrote...Andy, your stacked insects are worthy of textbooks or scientific publications!

+ 1000 ! I will be the first to buy this book!!

Mar 16, 2017 at 07:41 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

FedEx took a day off too

mjgphotoz wrote:
Somewhere out there buried in the snow is a UPS truck with a 300 f/4E PF ED VR lens with my name on it. It may never be found. Tracking UPS sure doesn't know. Spring 2018 maybe

Mary

Mar 16, 2017 at 07:57 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Another with the 50 1.2

russell (CKC_5186) by Chin KC, on Flickr

Mar 16, 2017 at 09:37 AM
TheOtherKav
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

saph wrote:
Kav, the Marine Christmas delivery (did he just step off the ramp of that open transport ( ) and the F3 film pic of the engine maintenance are fantastic. Keep them coming!

He was taxied to the area and stepped off the helicopter in front of the kids. You can see the heat from the engines behind him.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oosty
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Display bike outside my favourite Cape Town breakfast place. "four and twenty" Wynberg.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:20 AM
GeorgeBo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Geek Alert - Technical info to follow

Hi group. I just wanted to pass along some information and an experience of mine that others may find useful regarding adapted lenses and adapters.

As some of us are using these great manual focus lenses adapted to various bodies, one point of potential frustration can be around inconsistency in adapters. It is important for adapters to ensure infinity focus and I agree that is critical, but it seems some adapters are made with specs that are very conservative around that goal. Meaning to ensure infinity focus, some may actually allow focus past infinity. (Meaning actual achievement of infinity may happen before the lens goes to the hard stop marking of infinity). If that makes sense.

I have been using a number of Nikkor rangefinder lenses in LTM mount and Nikon S mount. Since I mainly used the focus peaking feature of the camera body, I never really noticed where the lens was actually focusing in reference to the lens markings.

I recently was using my adapted lenses and X-Pro2 for zone focusing photography and noticed that all my images were out of focus. Since it was happening to all my lenses, I knew it was not a lens issue. To test this, I picked out a target that was 10’ away and focused via live view/focus peaking. All lenses were consistently focusing around the 6.5’ mark on the barrel. Tried it on another adapted body, same thing. The only common component was the adapter.

This is where it is important to take a close look at the tolerances of adapters and flange focal distances. In my case, I am using Fuji X cameras and Nikkor rangefinder lenses and a Leica M mount adapter. The flange focal distance of Fuji X is 17.7mm, the focal flange distance of Leica M is 27.8mm. So, for adapted lenses in this instance to be accurate the adapter needs to be 10.1mm (27.8mm (Leica) - 17.7mm (Fuji) = 10.1mm). If it is thicker, you will not be able to achieve infinity and if thiner it will go past infinity. In either case, the distance scale on the lens barrel will not be accurate. i.e. if you set the lens to 10’ it will not be focused at 10’.

I used a digital caliper (should be in everyones tool kit) and checked my adapter in question. Bingo. It was not 10.1mm.

Below I posted a sequence of images* showing what I did to correct mine. I have had this adapter for quite awhile and is past the window to return.

(Top Left) - shows that my adapter was only 9.94mm thick. This means I needed to increase the thickness by 0.16mm. I could do this by adding a shim in the adapter (was actually made in two pieces).

(Top Right) - after searching for material to use, I found a folio binder cover (plastic) that was exactly 0.16mm thick. Stroke of luck.

(Bottom Left) - shows the base of the adapter with the shims I made out of the plastic.

(Bottom Right) - shows the now modified adapter at the proper 10.1mm thickness.

I am happy to report, that it solved my problems. Focus distance scale on the lens matches what is actually focused, and infinity focus is at the hard stop of the lenses.

I just wanted to share this information in the event someone else runs in to this situation.

*all images Nikon body, Nikon lens

George

Mar 16, 2017 at 01:20 PM
Bohemien
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Spring is coming! Time to dust off the ol' 105 f/2.5 AI-S.

Markus

Mar 16, 2017 at 01:51 PM
HCE HCE
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

D810 24mm PC-E
Plant City Diorama

-Jay-

Mar 16, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jay, Jay, Jay
I expect better
Go back to that town in AZ

R

Where are the birds

Mar 16, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Ken Hill
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

HCE HCE wrote:
D810 24mm PC-E
Plant City Diorama
http://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3804/32666258593_b34b318444_o.jpg
-Jay-

You're on RAY'S turf now!

Mar 16, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Ken Hill
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

HCE HCE wrote:
D810 24mm PC-E
Plant City Diorama
http://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3804/32666258593_b34b318444_o.jpg
-Jay-

You're on RAY'S turf now!

Mar 16, 2017 at 05:51 PM
HCE HCE
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Reagan Sorry to disappoint, I offer you the bird on the AF thread.

D810 24mm PC-E
Not Again!

-Jay-

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:34 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

An old fan with the 135mm f2.0 ai

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:19 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Just read on Leighton's Homestead Farm Facebook page that he is having a major op to remove a liver tumour.
Get well soon Big fella !

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.