Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1995      
       1997              4045       4046       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1996 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Dylan, great portrait of Andre. I still think you have potential for a book.

+1
I bet the guy is a heavy metal fan

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:15 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1996 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

elbeasto wrote:

Fantastic images through this thread, I liked the B&W factory portrait a lot & the B&W fellow in a wheel chair portrait as well. Great work!

I tried to tone down the post in this one so as not to have a too harsh an image in terms of brightness and contrast.
Another 35 f/2 AI-s:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8452/8049070061_3fbb2a6f50_c.jpg
Bluey Old Town by Steve Wakeman Photography | http://stevejwphotogra, on Flickr

Steve, another classy blue hour shot. No HDR here?

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:17 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1996 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Some days ago, after rainy and windy weather, the big city atmosphere was reasonably clean, so this shot was possible.

Radio tower bluish lights.

Radio tower with Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 AI EDIF by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikon 400mm f/5.6 AI (narrow collar) EDIF + tripod; ISO 200, f/8 at 5s exposure. Slight 10% crop. This is an effective 600mm FOV in the 1.5x crop sensor of the D7000. The tower was around 4km of distance and the atmosphere was relatively clean for So Paulo city.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:19 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1996 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Super composition!
georgms wrote:
Inspired by Jose (mating a fast short tele-lens with a tube):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/8048575160_097cc1d1fd_o.jpg
bokeh-play the teutonic way :-) 105/1.8 wide open, 20mm Kenko-tube, D700

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1996 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

That's just perfect Don, I too would like to join the book cover buyers' club

Welcome back Peter. No matter what, it'll still be a joy for us to view your photos. Am looking forward to them. Going on a safari would be a dream come true for me. Perhaps some day

Rafael, aye, that sure is sharp, wow.

Monty: Love the one with Rocky. I too am learning about dog idiosyncrasies. Mine doesn't seem to like ridges on the ground too - metal grates or manhole covers, even textured tiles in repeating patterns may just freak her out

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1996 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

DTOB wrote:
Eric, it can be a bit overwhelming to begin with. I used to leave the house with ideas of capturing all these amazing photos of the people that call Winnipeg home. Then I would tense up and pass by opportunities, only to have the image burned into my memory, and not my memory card.

These missed images would haunt me, I would see them while trying to sleep. I figured that the only way I was going to get some rest was to actually start talking to people.

I still pass things by at times, and kick myself for weeks, especially
...Show more

Extremely well said Dylan. I think all of us who enjoy street shooting go through similar emotions. I believe you've found a way that is both respectful and engaging, which shows in your photos. You and Monty are really leading the way in this kind of shooting. I appreciate the effort and always enjoy the photos. I'm glad you found us and that you're showing us a part of Canada we haven't seen for some time. Keep em coming!

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:37 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1996 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
At first I was VERY intimidated and usually didn't take pictures of people.. I was so afraid. What would they think

Luckily, my daughter encouraged me. Her advice? Just ask them. Simple as that! All they can do is say no. I also try to find something about them to talk about. "WOW! what a cool hat", "Oh my gosh, that is the coolest tattoo I've ever seen!", I try to say it with enthusiasm . Make it sound like you are really into it! The tough part about asking first is that people tend to pose if they know you
...Show more

More excellent advice. I think having a card is a great idea Monty. I'm going to have some made but I won't use my job title on this thread... Devil's Advocate...

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:44 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1996 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I'm resuming my run through previous pages, but you've added five more since my last post. I may NEVER catch up...

Georg.... I love the dog shots and yes, the bokeh with the 35 f/1.4 wide open can be quite distracting... all depending on the background. At f/2 it sings!

Mike, awesome close-up with the 105 plus tube. Don't forget the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World forum. These are exactly the kind of shots I was looking for when I started that thread.

Monty, I'm loving the photos you're posting on the board with your D600. Between you and Leighton this camera is becoming ever more enticing...

Rafael... we're experiencing the heat in northern California as well. You really give us a sense of what it is like with your recent shots.

Scott.... wonderful Niagara Falls shots with Nikki!

Alan... what a beautiful photo of Nikki with Eli in his backpack. I love the 50-135 f/3.5 AI-s as well. You'll get a great deal of use out of that lens I expect.

Brad, it likely won't be long before you'll get in big trouble sneaking up on Juliana like that... Sweet shot!

Kevin, love the photo of your daughter focusing on her guitar. Very nice composition.

Ron, love the close flower shot with the bee doing it job. Great colors from a great lens.

Jose... it is about time you put the 85 f/1.4 to work! Love the closeup taken with a tube... look how sweet that bokeh is!

Ray, your AI 180 seems up to the task, if I'm to judge by this set of flower photos... beautiful. Tony of long ago said that ED glass was added late in the cycle of AI lenses, so perhaps you got that glass even though it isn't noted on the lens body. Pretty sweet bokeh here...

Matt, that is an awesome portrait of Brandon, you're little sniffer... the glistening eyes and soft bokeh. Which lens? 105 or has the 85 arrived?

Laura, love the wild sun glasses! As Chin said, get the ones with silver on them...

Jeff, your work with the 50 f/1.2 is DELICIOUS! I love this kind of shot...

Don, I'm sorry I haven't been around to applaud the work you've been posting on the thread. I'm a huge fan, as you know. Your shot on 1990 #3 is perfect with its play of light and shadow. That is always a hallmark of your work. The lady walking along the narrow, darkened passage way pulls us into the image. The sliver of the clock at the top does the same. Great work!

Philip, the wires with the spire in the background is wonderful. Great eye and fine execution.

I may actually catch up.... this is through 1990. If everyone would just stop talking for the rest of the day, I might get there...

Now off for a hike before the temperature gets too high. Have fun everyone!

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1996 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis that was with the 105MM F1.8. My wife just called me to tell me that the 85MM F1.4 just showed up with the Fedex driver! Now I want to go home early and can't!

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:48 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1996 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

asiostygius wrote:
Some days ago, after rainy and windy weather, the big city atmosphere was reasonably clean, so this shot was possible.

Radio tower bluish lights.

D7000 + Nikon 400mm f/5.6 AI (narrow collar) EDIF + tripod; ISO 200, f/8 at 5s exposure. Slight 10% crop. This is an effective 600mm FOV in the 1.5x crop sensor of the D7000. The tower was around 4km of distance and the atmosphere was relatively clean for S�o Paulo city.

Jose, love the tower-shot! Amazing clarity for this distance. Did you used View NX for the RAW-conversion? I've found that blue-tones like the ones on the tower aren't easy to get in Adobe Camera Raw (but this could be user-error on my side :-).

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

georgms
• • • •
p.1996 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Curtis, thanks for your comment on the dog-pictures!

Jeff, I'm glad you like the old-town.

James, Jose, Scott, Monty, Bert, Matt, David - cool that all of you enjoyed this beer with me...

Jose - it's a rather plain B&W-conversion - no soft-focus-filter or something like this. I've tried the Nikon No. 6T close-up-lens with the 105/1.8 and it's some leagues softer than this lens with tubes.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:15 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1996 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Curtis, in fact I have to use more the mighty 85mm f/1.4, but too many lenses and too few time left

Thank you Georg. I am not a PP expert like so many others here as Philippe.
Indeed lately I am using View NX 2 to simply convert RAW to TIFF then use PS CS5 to perform some levels or curves/crop/resize/smart sharpen.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:26 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1996 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:

Jose - it's a rather plain B&W-conversion - no soft-focus-filter or something like this. I've tried the Nikon No. 6T close-up-lens with the 105/1.8 and it's some leagues softer than this lens with tubes.

This reveals both lens performance and yours good hands.

Strange the 6T close up filter does not worked.
According this resource :

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/macro/index3a.htm

the 6T has ...Two elements; 2.9 Diopters; 62mm thread mount';This lens is intended for use with telephotos (hence the "T" at the end of the name) but is reputedly excellent with all lenses that it'll fit

Anyway it is good to know.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:32 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1996 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I shot all of these 3-4 weeks ago, but just now got to imaging them. All of these are the Nikkor 105mm f2.5 ais at f2.5. The thing I find interesting is the variety of bokeh.

Blade of Grass

Green Berries

Purple Flowers

Yellow Flower

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:48 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1996 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Nice set James, indeed a variety of bokehs; liked the last three shots

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:57 PM
montym
• • • •
p.1996 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

!!!!RED ALERT!!!
Camera raw has been updated along with Lightroom.
THey say the D600 is supported...
I'm downloading it now, but it is going ssssssssslllllllooooooooowwwwwwww

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:00 PM
montym
• • • •
p.1996 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Good news! Those of us using a D600 and Lightroom can now can now shoot raw!

....and I can wear my cool t shirt again!

Monty

montym wrote:
!!!!RED ALERT!!!
Camera raw has been updated along with Lightroom.
THey say the D600 is supported...
I'm downloading it now, but it is going ssssssssslllllllooooooooowwwwwwww

It's true, I Shoot RAW

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    16mm    f/8.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:15 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1996 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Took a little walk around town this morning while at the market. Ray has inspired me to mount the 180mm so I did.

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    180mm    f/4.0    1/100s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:59 PM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.1996 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

James that is quite a variety of bokeh some remind me of the 50 1.2 and the second one looks like a 35mm1.4
Monty so glad that you got the update to lightroom
Leighton I love the shot with the 180
Curtis thank for the comment on my 180. I really do not think it has ED glass, but I am happy with the way it renders. Especially happy that I traded an extra flash for the lens.
Jose I love the tower shot!

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:10 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1996 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Ray! Here's another jpeg straight from the camera at 2500 ISO.

NIKON D600    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    180mm    f/4.0    1/90s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password