Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1994      
       1996              3805       3806       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

elnj
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1995 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

In my last post, I commented on the fact that the summer flowers have pretty much past. But looking around more closely the other day, I found that there are some beautiful fall-blooming flowers in the courtyard just outside my office. They aren't as big and showy, but they are really quite nice. I believe that the first one is a type of crocus, and the last one is a toad lily - I'm not sure about the second.

Eric J.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:58 AM
rafaelcasd
• • •
p.1995 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Today is my grandson Aaron Jacob's Birthday. With the 50mm 1.2 D3 @2.8, proud grandma in the background, this is what the 50mm does so well.
The D3 is so much more satisfying to use than the D800 when you do not need all those pixels.

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 t 2.8 D3 Aaron Jacob birthday by Rafael CA, on Flickr

and a crop, although you already knew the 50mm 1.2 is very sharp at 2.8

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 t 2.8 D3 Aaron Jacob birthday crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:42 AM
MDoc9523
• • • •
p.1995 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

CGrindahl wrote:
And Eric... kit building is forever... but these lenses really were designed for film cameras that are the equivalent to FX DSLR cameras. My comment was on the challenge of adapting MF lens focal length lenses to DX cameras with a 1.5 cropping factor. Going wide is very difficult and as Scott observes, one has to make adjustments to accommodate the added when shooting. It may work wonderfully when going long, but in the middle range it can be challenging. I'm not suggesting folks give up their DX cameras, or stop buying MF lenses, merely observing that as Leighton is
...Show more

Not to stir any large debate here, but I do respectfully disagree with your assessment that because these lenses are made for full frame therefore they are better on full frame. Many of these lenses have known light-falloff (vignetting) issues with FX sensors. DX sensors are using only the sweet spot of 35mm lenses, the center, not the edges, so they provide superior quality images. Many of these older lenses work much better on DX. How many times has Bjorn downgraded a lenses number because of softness on the edges? With a crop sensor you don't have to worry about the soft edges, you just don't have them. This could be the main reason that my 35-135mm is so good on the D7000 and not so good on the D700. Just food for thought

Edited on Oct 03, 2012 at 05:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:17 AM
philipj
• • •
p.1995 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks for all the comments on my CN tower shot everyone!

My fussy daughter won't go to sleep easily tonight, so what better time than to work on some old photos? This is 1 Spadina Crescent, a building owned by the University of Toronto on the edge of campus (next to where the streetcar track shot was taken the other day). A 3 shot stitch using the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s (not wide open this time, however).

1 Spadina Crescent by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:52 AM
Oosty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1995 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Hi everyone - 50 pages in 14 days. Amazing volume of posts. I'm starting at 1946 and have plenty of time to read since I'm in bed on Dr's advice. Severe sciatica no doubt caused by driving a car for a minimum of 6 hours a day for 13 days!

The Kruger Park was great although game was pretty spread out as a result of good rains in autumn. Only suicidal animals go to waterholes when they can get something to drink elsewhere. We had some good sightings and some not so good and as is always the case with photography, good and not so good images.

One thing though is that while photography is great on one's own, it does intrude on others' enjoyment. While not an excuse, I tend to be a little hurried and a little less meticulous than I would be otherwise. This is exacerbated by the use of MF glass, particularly when I forget to add a little DOF.

I'll post some pics later - I can't edit on this laptop and will point out the errors of my ways.

Oct 03, 2012 at 09:57 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1995 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

montym wrote:
My wife just scolded my for me saying "English is my 2nd language." She feels it is derogatory to those of you that actually speak English as a 2nd language. That was NOT my intent. I was trying to make fun of myself. In high school I got an "F" in English.

I respect those of you who speak two languages. IT is VERY impressive.

So here is my apology. I'm sorry for being insensitive. I will not do it again.

Monty

Well Monty, you ARE American. Amerenglish is your 1st language and you do OK!

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1995 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ray, those are drop dead gorgeous! I KNOW you can get nice bokeh with a cropper and the D7000 is a VERY capable camera. To tell you the honest truth (and don't tell Monty) I'm going to keep my D7000 while I evaluate the D600 to see which one I'll end up keeping. Like I said in an earlier post, I've been seeing in crop mode so long I'm not sure I even want to make the switch to FF.

I'm probably about to display my ignorance but it seems to me that the number of MP on the D7000 and D600 are identical per sq inch of image. If you crop a 24MP image by 1/3 you end up with 16MP at the same proportion as a DX image.

Is this right or wrong?

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1995 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Ok, just two more and I'll stop for the evening. I did these just to see how LR handled the jpeg files.

Lovely Leighton - to test my theory could you try to take a shot of the woodpile with the D7000 using a 30mm lens (if you have one) - I'd love to see comparison images.

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1995 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Monty - congrats on the D600. I can just see you rushing into the garden to grab those first shots You also need an iPhone

Leighton - congrats to you too. Glad the camera is light but remember the MF glass can be really heavy!

(Just had a thought - this must be the only place in the world where people buy the latest camera technology to use with relatively primitive glass technology - very odd group aren't we?)

Samy - very good moon shot and a soft pillow is a great alternative to a bean bag.

Bert - good spiders. If I have the guts I'll get up close to one of our huge rainspiders next time one invades our house!

Steve - I love the colour of your Sydney images, particularly #1

Tony - congrats and nice images. Just don't get arrested!

Ray - I just love tha Swallowtail. Great images and bokeh.

Scott - glad Nikki got there without having to go through the immigration officials Look forward to the "other" New York images too.

Seth - very nice pics. I think the book in #1 is just a prop for the guy in the chair who looks like a professional bikini watcher! (And I'm delighted to see that I'm not the only one with a D200 on this forum!)

Chin - the pup redux is amazing. High key is so hard to get right.
'
Ryan - you'll make me a fisheye fan yet. Just great. Now please don't go the B&W IR route

(made it to page 1956 only 40 to go)!!

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:07 AM
montym
• • • •
p.1995 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

This is a bit off topic, but the movie trailer looks VERY cool!
They are using D200s

http://www.chasingice.com/

Monty

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1995 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Bummer on that, Peter. No Doubt the bumpy roads also played a factor in that.

Oosty wrote:
Hi everyone - 50 pages in 14 days. Amazing volume of posts. I'm starting at 1946 and have plenty of time to read since I'm in bed on Dr's advice. Severe sciatica no doubt caused by driving a car for a minimum of 6 hours a day for 13 days!

The Kruger Park was great although game was pretty spread out as a result of good rains in autumn. Only suicidal animals go to waterholes when they can get something to drink elsewhere. We had some good sightings and some not so good and as is always the case with photography,
...Show more

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:30 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1995 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Monty, Rocky In Leaves is cute Good thing they weren't piled up though, he doesn't need much to hide himself in.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:33 PM
montym
• • • •
p.1995 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
But man, does he have you trained!

You have no idea. All he has to do is look at me and I'm out of the chair doing his bidding

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1995 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Bummer on that, Peter. No Doubt the bumpy roads also played a factor in that.

It is quite literally a bummer! Mine's numb from sitting up in bed looking at the laptop!
The park roads aren't too bad - some slight corrugations on the dirt roads but the main cause is having one foot on the accelerator while the other works the clutch. Total driving hours were about 62 or an average of about 7 hrs per day with very brief pit stops in between. Add strange beds, 68 years and I guess the result is inevitable. The good news is that the jabs are working!!

Thanks for caring.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1995 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
A off-center prism-circle would be a compromise - no doubt. But I shoot a lot off-centered pictures, the solid majority of these with the main subject on the right side (don't know why, it's a habit). It would be handy for portraits ("headshots") too.
A centered micro-prism-circle is a compromise too.

Why not focus on the subject and hold the AEL button down as you move off centre?

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:08 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1995 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Peter, welcome back! I hope you recover soon and begin to post your safari photos

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:35 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1995 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

georgms wrote:
Inspired by Jose (mating a fast short tele-lens with a tube):
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/8048575160_097cc1d1fd_o.jpg
bokeh-play the teutonic way :-) 105/1.8 wide open, 20mm Kenko-tube, D700

Georg, absolutely sensational image!
I am glad you was inspired by my use of the 85 + tubes, but I never got such good bokeh/composition/PP; even though I tried with a bottle of brandy this morning, no shot was remotely similiar to yours! Was the OOF straight from the lens/camera or do you added some blurring on PP?

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:39 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1995 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Monty, this is one of the best shots of Rocky you have posted!! Well done.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:41 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1995 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Matt OHarver wrote:
What great play of light and shadows. I wonder just how long you look and wait for that perfect moment? Gosh what a talent you are!

Matt

+1 absolutely perfect!

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:43 PM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.1995 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Not to stir any large debate here, but I do respectfully disagree with your assessment that because these lenses are made for full frame therefore they are better on full frame. Many of these lenses have known light-falloff (vignetting) issues with FX sensors. DX sensors are using only the sweet spot of 35mm lenses, the center, not the edges, so they provide superior quality images. Many of these older lenses work much better on DX. How many times has Bjorn downgraded a lenses number because of softness on the edges? With a crop sensor you don't have to worry about
...Show more

Agreed with Ray.
I have a D3 and a D7000, and my experiences with the D7000 did not revealed any dowgrading of a MF lens compared to the D3, on the contrary on some situations, as Ray has pointed out.
Of couse we need to be aware of the 1.5x factor, but imho no problem at all. Need a 20mm, use the magnificent 16mm/3.5; need a 28mm - the 20mm/2.8 or 3.5 do the job, and so on.
However, no doubt viewing/focusing is a little bit easier in a FX body and no need to calculate the effective FOV could be more confortable

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password