Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              664      
       666              1062       1063       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.665 #1 · p.665 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

you are welcome Edward.

Here are few 50lux WO during weekend. My 50lux is off again, I need compensate manually for all of them. but results are good. Sooner or Later, it will visit leica NJ again.

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:48 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.665 #2 · p.665 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wonderful shots, zhangyue! The first shot really has magical rendering.

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.665 #3 · p.665 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, were the bear photos done on a tripod or from the same distance? It looks like the Sonnar shots were from a closer distance because the bear is larger. But I see from the infinity comparison that the Sonnar appears to be a slightly narrower angle of view.

I agree that the Sonnar's wide open rendering has a certain charm and is worth keeping. Perhaps you're starting down the slippery slope of 50mm M-mount GAS. If you like the Sonnar look, then see if you can find the Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 in LTM. It's a bit harder to find than the native Nikon S mount, but will focus in the correct Leica direction and won't need a $250 adapter. I think I've posted this Flickr link before, but it's what got me interested in trying some of the vintage 50mm lenses..

Michael: beautiful set of your kids! Sorry to hear you're having such trouble with the 50 Lux ASPH calibration. Mine seems OK lately, but it has been cold outside. I'm curious whether the focus will drift again in the summer when it's warmer. Now that someone put that theory in my head, I can't shake it.

Thanks everyone for the likes from my recent set!

Some more odds and ends from the walk with Andrew:

50/1:

35 Cron ASPH:

28 Cron:

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:07 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.665 #4 · p.665 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, like all of them but last one stand out.
I found my lux problem after inspect my FL trip images. I don't know the reason yet, but I wonder is that because of floating element? Make it more valnurable than other lens, which seems quite robust.
I seems see more people have focus problem with 50lux here. Could be fast glass require more attention on focus.

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:35 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.665 #5 · p.665 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
My now sold Sonnar also optimized for f2.8. theoretically, this seems a way has its merit if you want use it both WO and slow down. It requires no attention when you need photo to be absolutely sharp. WO, you can compensate at close range and DOF is cover at long range assuming we usually not need absolute sharpness.

Edward, in you case, I would suggest use it WO all the time. Or dedicate it as a low light lens or art lens., Which is pretty much I do with either Sonnar or 50lux ASPH. From your comparison, you can
...Show more

Pretty much the same as me. If I had wanted to use the Sonnar for all around use the f2.8 optimization would have been fine. I wanted to primarily use it wide open...quite liked the look when I nailed it, and thought I could live with the shift. I made the 'mistake' of trying out a Summilux 50 ASPH and ... well, I should have the Summilux by the end of the month

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:36 PM
joakim
• • •
p.665 #6 · p.665 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great photos lately, I've been using the Like functionality this time instead of writing comments but I'm not sure which one I prefer.

I had to send my M9 to Solms so that they could calibrate my 28 cron and 35 lux properly but today I got a mail explaining that the position of the sensor "...is completely out of the tolerance..." so this might take a while before I have my gear properly calibrated.

Well, here is one from the archives with the 50 Summilux:

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:39 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.665 #7 · p.665 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, thanks for the recommendation! Definitely the Sonnar has a narrower angle than the Planar as you can see in the infinity shots. The bear shots were handheld and I even focused 5-10 cm closer with the Planar to compensate for the AOV difference but still the Sonnar shots look tighter.

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:47 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.665 #8 · p.665 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for all the 'like' and nice comments.

Edward, I would also do a 1M, 3M and infinity at different aperture test for Sonnar. so you can fully understand your lens and your M9. (I do that especially having problem with 50lux) To see exact what need to be done to have accept results. I feel once slow down at long distance, you might find you are fine for more DOF. at least if you know at what aperture you are free of problem so you can use it for sharpness.

My two Leica modern lens 50lux and 90elmarit both can pass infinity even when calibrated well. and My old 50 and 35cron seems reach infinity exactly and hassle free always.

So, I feel if your complain comes from infinity shot, that is seems norm and more tolerable.

I remember those impressive 35 biogon street shots from you, most of them are WO. So this Sonnar might not be a issue to me as long as you don't always think about this FS thing. Your mind might bother you more than Lens itself I bet once you have optimized f2.8 lens, you might think about why not f1.5 as what I use to do. But TBH, it(FS) doesn't bother me much really.

Another portrait by 50cron Rigid f2.8
my cool boy

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:12 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.665 #9 · p.665 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Andrew, I don’t have V4 35cron and never tried V4, but from MTF, it looks very good once stop down. By seeing image taken at f2, I don’t feel it deserve ‘king of Bokeh’ title Carstenw was point out that person name it clarify later that he was referring slow down Bokeh.

The thing that drove me nuts about my 35 V4 (made in Germany) was that it focused past infinity. I was warned by Steven Choi at Steve's Camera that older 35s have infinity issues when you get too picky on the M9, and, sure enough, I had issues when my 35/2 V4 arrived. I sent it to DAG for CLA (it had some focus ring issues,) and, when it came back, it still focused past infinity at f5.6. When I asked DAG about it, he assumed I wanted it optimized wide open, and he asked me to send it back for f5.6 calibration, but I decided I wasn't interested in a lens that had so much infinity variance, so I traded for a 35/2 ASPH, which doesn't have these infinity issues.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.665 #10 · p.665 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi Douglas,

I just checked my V4 at the infinity stop, and it is bang on at F/2.0 and F/5.6, so I am not sure why yours was out. Mine is a late germany version.

Andrew

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.665 #11 · p.665 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, great shots, it is always nice to see someone else's point of view!

Michael, more than likely its the camera thats out... Nice Family shots! Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my questions. I have been eyeballing the 35mm R lux for a while, nut I think that it maybe better just to go all the way to the FLE.

Andrew

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:43 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.665 #12 · p.665 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew Gough wrote:
Hi Douglas,

I just checked my V4 at the infinity stop, and it is bang on at F/2.0 and F/5.6, so I am not sure why yours was out. Mine is a late germany version.

Andrew

Interesting. I had a late Germany version, too. It's possible your copy may not be as sharp at f2 as it could be, which is certainly a worthwhile tradeoff, since f2 infinity shots probably aren't common. I would say it's just my copy, but well regarded Leica repairman Steve Choi predicted it even before my copy arrived. Who knows?

To be honest, this is why I take all Leica lens resolution opinions with a grain of salt, since incremental adjustments make such a big difference. Something often not talked about is how even my 50/2 and 35/2 suffer from a bit of focus shift, although nowhere near some of the faster, non-FLE lenses out there. With most of these lenses, it seems that it's about tuning things to be good enough at most apertures and distances, since film wasn't quite as picky as digital is.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.665 #13 · p.665 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi Douglas,

These images were shot with my summicron v4

Andrew

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:00 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.665 #14 · p.665 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I don't know about Leica but Zeiss calibrates lenses so that they reach infinity at f/5.6. Most lenses have some minor focus shift, so if the lens is calibrated to reach infinity at the infinity mark at WO, it will back focus at f/5.6-8, and you would need to pull back the focus. Basically at f/5.6-8, it will go beyond infinity as you describe it. So I agree with Zeiss not to allow the lens to reach infinity WO (many users complain about that but who shoots landscapes WO) in order to get the exact infinity stop focus at normal landscape shooting apertures.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:01 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.665 #15 · p.665 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

These are the last images from the shoot with Ron.

Andrew

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:02 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.665 #16 · p.665 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew Gough wrote:
Hi Douglas,

These images were shot with my summicron v4

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Nice shots. My concern, though, is at infinity. Either way, like Edward mentioned, there has to be a bit of infinity fine tuning if one doesn't want to pull back focus at infinity at f5.6. It just seems like there is less variance with my ASPH compared to my IV.

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.665 #17 · p.665 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Andrew! That looks to be me in the first one.

edwardkaraa wrote:
I don't know about Leica but Zeiss calibrates lenses so that they reach infinity at f/5.6. Most lenses have some minor focus shift, so if the lens is calibrated to reach infinity at the infinity mark at WO, it will back focus at f/5.6-8, and you would need to pull back the focus. Basically at f/5.6-8, it will go beyond infinity as you describe it. So I agree with Zeiss not to allow the lens to reach infinity WO (many users complain about that but who shoots landscapes WO) in order to get the exact infinity stop focus at normal
...Show more

Coincidentally Andrew and I had a discussion about shooting landscapes at infinity wide open during our photo walk in Toronto. I definitely have done it, in part because I know certain lenses such as the 50 Lux ASPH actually perform quite well in that situation. There is a different look to images shot this way. More vignetting, less clinical, more aberrations and imperfections. Not technically ideal, but it's also a usable solution for those times when shooting from a tripod or other support is impractical in relatively poor lighting conditions, but you still want the shot.

That's an interesting tidbit about Zeiss's optimizations. Might explain why my 50/2 won't reach infinity until about f/4 on the M9 but I can hit infinity wide open on a NEX (because of looser adapter tolerances, probably).

I can't say I have an issue with hitting correct infinity focus with the 21 Lux, SEM, 28 Cron 50 Lux ASPH or 90 Summarit. At least I haven't noticed it. After the first time I had the 50 Lux serviced by Leica it came back not able to reach infinity. I had it re-serviced and now no problem.

These are the last of my shots from the walk with Andrew. 50 Lux ASPH or 21 Lux. All shot at ISO 160 and pushed in post as needed:

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM
joakim
• • •
p.665 #18 · p.665 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, nice portrait of your son again and I like the rendering of that lens.
Andrew, the third one is great and gives me a serious Noctilux envy. I also appreciate the temperance/good life photo. Which path did you and Ron choose?
Ron, nice set where #2 is a favorite and I like the combination of wide angle and narrow dof in #4.

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:46 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.665 #19 · p.665 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Andrew... I also appreciate the temperance/good life photo. Which path did you and Ron choose?

Exactly, a beautiful juxtaposition!

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.665 #20 · p.665 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi, Guys, thanks for comments and likes.

I just got my film shots from FL trip developed locally. initially, I want send them out but decide avoid the hassle. and leave with low resolution scan 1800X1200. I almost decided to part with my M3 consider the cost of develop and scan cost about $13 per roll. but results are surprisingly good and keeper rate are very high to 'my standard'. However I will not overload this thread and only pick something align with standard of this thread.

Please don't mind I post M3 film shot in this thread. It is a Leica, a truly leica. If you really want to see Summicron35 8 element or 50rigid rendering, this is the platform they are designed for

All by 35cron Summicron. M3 tri-X 400. Manual exposure (of course) by sunny16.

St augustine, Castillo de San Marcos.

I was able to take only one shot by M9 before battery died.(But thanks for that as it actually do better with M3 than my M9 with 21biogon.) I took about 25 shots in this location within half hour before it is closed for that day.

Almost zero PP for all of them. not even tilt and crop. With results like this, I am serious consider develop at home and scan by myself.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:12 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password