New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              349      
       351              1019       1020       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.350 #1 · p.350 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I should clarify that in no way am I suggesting that people kill this thread. I will personally post my photos in the other thread, since I own three ZF/ZF.2 lenses and one C/Y, and I don't want to split my photos according to lens. These lenses live in the same bag, why make the photos live in separate threads? However, I fully understand that this thread has a life of its own, and there is some awesome stuff here. I will continue to read it and contribute words here.

May 14, 2011 at 08:09 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.350 #2 · p.350 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

RZetter: I missed out earlier, but shots 5 & 7 are my picks, very nice!

Luka: that 35/2 ZM shot is interesting with really "aaargh!" bokeh! But the zone of
sharpness is also interesting: did you do some additional selective sharpening of the leaf?

Gunzorro - have fun with the Canikons. I think it was good that you sorted the lens situation out quickly.

Lars: Thanks. I love the monk series. Along with the flower series, you have a bunch of unique "signature" shots, including the styling of the frame and the golden border. Have you considered doing a triptych of some of these?

alkanphel, akul: thanks!

carsten: Like I said on the other thread, the 50P shots are making me weep!

well, now that we are talking of threads. I was thinking of the opposite extreme [more like PoTN: dedicated thread per lens], but that would take some painful re-work. If we did do it, then it would help keep things somewhat better organized and structured. Someone doing research on these lenses would find it easy perhaps.

But we are already 300 pages deep. What are the general thoughts on this? Should we stick with this thread as is and not disturb the flow or should we at some point consider one picture thread [sticky for this forum?] per modern Zeiss lens?

Anyway, here are some shots where I was exploring the bokeh behavior of the 50MP. It can give diffuse, clean backgrounds if needed [pic#1] or retain some contours of the background also [pic#2]. Both are shot at f/2. Lens to subject distance was different. [First one was closer]

#1 Blossom

#2 Bokeh mirroring!

#3. One from the 21ZE.

May 14, 2011 at 08:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.350 #3 · p.350 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks Carsten, I think starting a new thread is a great idea. I like to see more Zeiss topics and images.

I wish DPR would form a forum sub-heading for Zeiss lenses. Anyone know anyone over there?

May 14, 2011 at 08:18 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.350 #4 · p.350 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

abhijeeth wrote:
well, now that we are talking of threads. I was thinking of the opposite extreme [more like PoTN: dedicated thread per lens], but that would take some painful re-work. If we did do it, then it would help keep things somewhat better organized and structured. Someone doing research on these lenses would find it easy perhaps.

But we are already 300 pages deep. What are the general thoughts on this? Should we stick with this thread as is and not disturb the flow or should we at some point consider one picture thread [sticky for this forum?] per modern Zeiss
...Show more

For me that goes in the wrong direction. I can't quite imagine how many threads I would want to follow, but it would be a nightmare, since I am interested in a lot of different Zeiss and Leica lenses.

What would really help though would be a good keywording system, which could be used in a search query. I don't know of a forum which has that though. Something like gmail labels.

May 14, 2011 at 08:33 PM
Mast3rChi3f
• •
p.350 #5 · p.350 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Taz awesome shot man, love that light on the sheep.

85mm

May 14, 2011 at 08:37 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.350 #6 · p.350 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
I should clarify that in no way am I suggesting that people kill this thread. I will personally post my photos in the other thread, since I own three ZF/ZF.2 lenses and one C/Y, and I don't want to split my photos according to lens. These lenses live in the same bag, why make the photos live in separate threads? However, I fully understand that this thread has a life of its own, and there is some awesome stuff here. I will continue to read it and contribute words here.

So, since I'm shooting Zeiss and Leica, should I start a "Luka's Zeiss and Leica" thread? Although I understand your desire to keep your image sets in coherent units I'm not sure how you see this working out. If you against all probability manage to start a successful competing Zeiss thread of your own, it will only split things off to yet another thread. So we'll have the ZE/ZF.., the C/Y, the Zeiss 35/1.4 and Carsten's Zeiss threads. I don't really see how that would be an improvement.

There is by the way already an all-inclusive thread - namely the largest on on this forum - the Alternative Image thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597185

abhijeeth wrote:

But we are already 300 pages deep. What are the general thoughts on this? Should we stick with this thread as is and not disturb the flow or should we at some point consider one picture thread [sticky for this forum?] per modern Zeiss
...Show more

It works really poorly over at POTN as the discussion and images get split across too many threads to keep any kind of 'community' thing going on. I think the main benefit of this thread is that it reached a critical mass that has kept it going. There are quite a few people only shooting Zeiss ZE/ZF lenses so we get coherent image sets and not people just posting the odd image.

So I think splitting this thread into ten or so parts (twenty if you include ZM lenses) would simply kill the Zeiss community here.

Generally, I'm leaning to the 'leave as is' solution, but if there had to be a change, I'd rather see this thread to allow in shots with C/Y lenses rather than creating more threads.

May 14, 2011 at 08:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.350 #7 · p.350 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Luka, I would also have preferred to have this thread be more inclusive, but there are apparently mixed feelings about that, so my choice was to keep posting my shots in multiple threads, or start a new, more inclusive thread and post there. I guess you know what I chose.

FWIW, I don't like having the C/Y thread and 35/1.4 Distagon threads be separate, and obviously I don't see the point of having a C/Y thread, in addition to a ZF/ZE thread. I find this splits things up in ways which just increase the effort to keep up with them all, as well as making searching harder.

This thread was my favorite, and everything would have been fine if there were a ZF 80-200, but there isn't.

May 14, 2011 at 08:56 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.350 #8 · p.350 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I understand all that, but don't you see you are just increasing the split? Do you think it would be a good idea for me to start a Zeiss and Leica discussion thread just because I happen to have Leica lenses in my camera bag in addition to the Zeiss lenses? Somebody else could perhaps start the Canon & Zeiss thread and somebody else the Nikon and Zeiss thread and so on depending on the content of our individual camera bags.

May 14, 2011 at 08:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.350 #9 · p.350 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Well, you read what I wrote. There are no good answers I guess. I prefer more inclusive approaches. I put up with the splits while it didn't affect my own posting, but it is beginning to frustrate me now. I carry four lenses, all Zeiss, and needed to post in two separate treads.

FWIW, I would not expect to be able to post my Leica M and DSLR shots in one thread. If I used only Zeiss glass, that might be an exception, but I don't. I am fine with separate threads for separate systems. I do think that I would prefer a "Leica M Cameras" thread to the current M8/M9/X1 digital-only thread. I see some M6 shots sneaking through, but why the limitation?

The beauty of just a Zeiss thread is that people who consider a C/Y 21 Distagon, for example, often also consider the ZF/ZE 21 Distagon, and the Zeiss thread contains all that, whereas the ZF/ZE thread doesn't.

Anyway, sorry about the split, but I don't feel I had a good alternative choice.

Edited on May 14, 2011 at 09:08 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2011 at 09:07 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.350 #10 · p.350 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Luka, carsten: Fair points.

I wasn't on POTN but I know you've been there enough to gauge the activity levels over time. For my ZE buying research though, the threads in their current shape + the master thread here were all useful. LC's reviews completed the picture.

May 14, 2011 at 09:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.350 #11 · p.350 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Yes, the ZF/ZE thread was great for me too, to decide which ZFs to buy, but I don't think that adding in the C/Y lenses would have disturbed that. It is only 10% more posts and photos.

May 14, 2011 at 09:09 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.350 #12 · p.350 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I'm not arguing against your motivation - I agree with it. I think however that your solution is far worse than the problem. If there is a solution to be found it has to be general and not based on the specific camera situation of one poster.

Anyway, I'll stick with this thread. Even if it's not an optimal solution it works. Its shortcomings are nothing compared to the damage that would be done if it splits apart. I think however there is no risk of that happening and that it will survive this new splitting attempt as it has survived ones in the past.

May 14, 2011 at 09:15 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.350 #13 · p.350 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I tend to agree with both positions. I can post in 3 threads: my ZEs here, my C/Ys here or on the C/Y thread, or on the NEX thred if mounted on my NEX, my ZMS here or on the NEX thread, my Contax G on the NEX thread. Yes, splitting my posts is a bit of a disadvantage, so I take Carten's point. But posting too many Zeiss lenses on this tread would make it even more unwieldy than it is now. There are times when I am off-line for 36 hours and there are so many fine pics, that I can't even mention them all. So I see Luka's point as well. Call me a fence-sitter.
Oh, and, by the way, where should I have posted my shots with my new ZE 35 f:1.4: on the dedicated thread, or on this thread?

May 14, 2011 at 09:19 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.350 #14 · p.350 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I guess part of my motivation is also simply that I find myself able to think clearer and do better work when I am not split multiple ways. Just like happens now when I consider whether or not to bring my 200/2 VR, and the little voice says to me "yes, it makes great shots, but you can't post them in your favorite forum", there would be another little voice whispering to me whenever I decide whether or not to bring the 80-200/4 VS: "you can use this great lens, and make nice prints, but you can't post the results in your favorite thread".

Anyway, I subscribe to Darwin, so let the fittest survive As I said, I will continue to discuss here, but prefer the all-inclusive Zeiss approach for posting photos. I have already posted a few Contax 645 shots over in the other thread which I otherwise wouldn't have known where to put. I do think that an all-Zeiss thread solves several minor problems.

May 14, 2011 at 09:27 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.350 #15 · p.350 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Carsten, we agree on the problem entirely, just not the solution. And I also subscribe to the Darwinian/free market approach, so I guess we'll see what happens

Anyway, as I've now stated my opinions here, I suppose I should post some shots as well. I have no recent shots but here are a couple from Lofoten that I haven't posted before:

This one is from Bodo actually:

May 14, 2011 at 09:46 PM
prosep
• •
p.350 #16 · p.350 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

akul wrote:
prosep - great shot with 100 mp

Thanks, akul.

vallejo, excellent details, BW conversion.
abhijeeth, perfect focus in 1st two images. Love the details of the 3rd image.
Mast3rChi3f, excellent spot-on focus.
denoir, as usual, details and colors of your each upload are just splendid.
&, so many awesome images on previous pages!

ZE 21

May 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM
alkanphel
• •
p.350 #17 · p.350 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

A Pencil Tree, shot with the ZE 100MP

Botanic Gardens 5-11 by alkanphel, on Flickr

May 15, 2011 at 01:47 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.350 #18 · p.350 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I haven't been shooting in a week or more, but a shot I took tonight for the wife. Some delicious cherry bread

Cherry Bread by J L Smith, on Flickr

Edit - wow, silly me, I never knew I could imbed BB flickr code here >,< Wow.

May 15, 2011 at 03:52 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.350 #19 · p.350 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

denoir wrote:
. I have no recent shots but here are a couple from Lofoten that I haven't posted before:

Great shots, Luka. They really give me a feeling of being there! Really, I so wish I had received my 35 f:1.4 in time, and used my 21 more often!

May 15, 2011 at 05:02 AM
sangdabom73
• •
p.350 #20 · p.350 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Great images guys, as usual!!!

Here are some I took at Beaune, France. All ZE35

May 15, 2011 at 05:14 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password