New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2008 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Thanks Roland.... that's what I was hoping for.

Aug 20, 2008 at 03:40 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Make sure the hood screw in all the way back and put the hood on like a hinge to avoid as little contact as possible with lens.

Also I put Teflon plumbers tape in the grove to avoid scaring the lens.

Aug 20, 2008 at 03:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

coppertop wrote:
First, I need to thank everyone for the advice they offered on selecting this lens. I've taken it out once to cover football practice (haven't had a chance to shoot wildlife with it) and simply put, it's an amazing lens.

It has taken a little time to get used to using a lens without a protective filter (old habit from photojournalism days) and so many buttons but I'm getting the hang of it.

I do have two questions....

1) Is there a secret/trick to handling the lens hood? I haven't taken the packing tape off the metal clip (wanting to protect
...Show more

1. you put it on the end
(not sure what the puzzle is )

2. do you even need a monopod head?

3. yeah, a totally amazing lens

Aug 20, 2008 at 04:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Nathan Hobbs wrote:
rest easy, the 300 2.8L IS DOES have a protective filter.
The front glass peice is actually a specially designed meniscus lens that directs flare out of the path of the image and also protects the very fragile fluorite glass element behind it. It can be replaced if needs be by a Canon service center and its cost is comparable to what a uv filter of that diameter would set you back.

buy the time you pay to ship it and have them do it's a royal pain and lots more than a filter would be.

i wouldn't midn a front filter for when near the ocean

Aug 20, 2008 at 04:21 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Well the shipping tape did the trick... it's still a little tight but not as bad.

Shot a football game this evening with it and it is truly a phenomenal lens!

Aug 21, 2008 at 09:10 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Congrats on the lens! Don't forget to get a Don Zeck protective lens cover!
www.accentondesigninvestments.com

Aug 21, 2008 at 09:22 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

kdphotography wrote:
Congrats on the lens! Don't forget to get a Don Zeck protective lens cover!
www.accentondesigninvestments.com

What a rip off price, better of with a op/tech lens sleeve then that clunker

Edited on Aug 21, 2008 at 09:35 PM

Aug 21, 2008 at 09:34 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

I also use the 3032 with an RRS plate and feel it is marginal with the 300 2.8 IS. It holds it well enough when shooting but it tends to flop over when you carry the rig on your shoulder. Annoying that you have to straighten it out afterwards.

Plate either with or without the mini swivel is the way to go, lens is too heavy to screw on if you are anal about keeping the lens foot clean.

Aug 21, 2008 at 09:49 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

The Zeck cover is a lens cap---much better than the original Canon sheath type cap. It's not a lens sleeve. Quick and easy to use. Unobtrusive---which is extremely important to me when packing a lens for a trip/hiking.

It's a rather nominal investment for an expensive piece of glass....

Aug 22, 2008 at 09:41 AM
ragebot
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

There are a few comments about using monopods and heads that may at first seem to be in conflict; but in fact I don't think that is the case.

Some folks (like me) think the RRS solution works fine while other folks have complaints. IMHO this is due to different shooting styles. I have never tried to put the monopod on my shoulder when carrying the lens, but I also keep the knobs rather loose so I can quickly adjust the angle the lens is pointing up and down. It does not make sense to me to tighten down the knobs because you would loose the ability to quickly adjust the angle.

When I first start out I play around with the knobs a little till I find a sweet spot in the tightness that allows easy up and down adjustment yet still keeps the monopod from flopping around too much. Still I find that as my shooting day goes on I am fine tuning the tightness of the knobs.

If I have to carry the lens for any distance I loosen the knob and fold the monopod parallel to the lens and carry the lens by the lens foot. I sometimes rotate the collar when I do this so the monopod is to the side with the camera oriented landscape style so I can shoot hand held and not have the monopod in the way.

As you can see from the length of this post I have changed or developed a different shooting style when using this monopod setup than when shooting with another method. I also suspect other folks may have a different shooting style than mine that fits them better.

Bottom line for me this is a very workable solution I would recommend you try, keeping in mind that you may need to alter it to best fit how you shoot.

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

kdphotography wrote:
The Zeck cover is a lens cap---much better than the original Canon sheath type cap. It's not a lens sleeve. Quick and easy to use. Unobtrusive---which is extremely important to me when packing a lens for a trip/hiking.

It's a rather nominal investment for an expensive piece of glass....

Not at $60.

Aug 22, 2008 at 01:08 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
What a rip off price, better of with a op/tech lens sleeve then that clunker

Although the Zeck's cap provides as much frontal impact protection as the stock hat, I still prefer the simple Kaiser 120mm push-on cap (lid). B&H carries it ($17.95).

My second choice would be the Lenscoat "hoodie".
Zeck's cap third, the stock hat fourth.

Aug 22, 2008 at 01:29 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

As Nathan Hobbs explained, the front protective element is over the main fluorite glass element, which is indeed very soft and easily damaged. Fluorite is so soft that normal cleaning methods can easily scratch it. So some protective element is required. Canon made it serve as protection, and gave it good coating. The part that it has that no filter around provides is the curved surface, in order to minimize the internal reflections that can occur off of a flat surface filter. I guess Canon could have considered making it a user replaceable item, but I think they wanted to keep things clean inside, plus maintain a waterproof seal. Plus if it was removable, some users would leave it off, and damage the main element, which likely would cost well over $1000.

Aug 22, 2008 at 03:32 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Gil-W I am very impressed with those shots of hummingbirds. How far away were you? We have just started feeding hummingbirds and I could use some tips.

Aug 22, 2008 at 07:02 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Roland W wrote:
As Nathan Hobbs explained, the front protective element is over the main fluorite glass element, which is indeed very soft and easily damaged. Fluorite is so soft that normal cleaning methods can easily scratch it. So some protective element is required. Canon made it serve as protection, and gave it good coating. The part that it has that no filter around provides is the curved surface, in order to minimize the internal reflections that can occur off of a flat surface filter. I guess Canon could have considered making it a user replaceable item, but I think they wanted
...Show more

i believe the fluorite element is actually one or two deeper in that you suggest. I forget, but it's NOT the one directly behind, not on the IS version.

Aug 22, 2008 at 07:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Roland W wrote:
As Nathan Hobbs explained, the front protective element is over the main fluorite glass element,

That's the case with the non-IS version only, as Skibum has noted already.

Aug 22, 2008 at 07:48 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

You two are right, the current IS version has the fluorite element further back. I am still very glad they built the protective element in, and that it has the curvature to suppress "sensor flare" type reflections. And the lens can really make some incredible images!

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:18 AM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Go to your neighborhood Target store and buy your wife/girl friend a new Tupperware glass bowl. Bring your 300mm along to find the one with the correct size to cover your lens. Its a perfect fit.

Andy

Aug 29, 2008 at 09:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.