Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

First, I need to thank everyone for the advice they offered on selecting this lens. I've taken it out once to cover football practice (haven't had a chance to shoot wildlife with it) and simply put, it's an amazing lens.

It has taken a little time to get used to using a lens without a protective filter (old habit from photojournalism days) and so many buttons but I'm getting the hang of it.

I do have two questions....

1) Is there a secret/trick to handling the lens hood? I haven't taken the packing tape off the metal clip (wanting to protect the lens as much as possible) but it almost feels like a puzzle to put it in place.

2) Any recommendations on a good monopod head? I'm using a Bogen 322RC2 but the weight of the lens and MKIIn are right on the cusp of this head's weight limit.

Again thanks for all the help and for those familiar with the previous discussion, I've already started saving for the 500mm f4L IS.

Edited by coppertop on Aug 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM GMT

Edited on Aug 20, 2008 at 04:37 PM

Aug 20, 2008 at 01:18 PM
ragebot
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Go to the Really Right Stuff site and read the two pages they have about low and high weight monopod heads. Here is the link to the first one, just click on high capacity for the second page

http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/03.html

I have been using the Manfrotto #3232 they recommend since way before RRS started making their high capacity solution and never had any problems. I shoot with a 1d2 and 500/f4.

Aug 20, 2008 at 01:23 PM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

coppertop wrote:
[...]
1) Is there a secret/trick to handling the lens hood? I haven't taken the packing tape off the metal clip (wanting to protect the lens as much as possible) but it almost feels like a puzzle to put it in place.
[...]

Congratulations on the news lens, it is my most used lens and I love it!

What do you mean? A secret to putting the lens hood on? Usually I just rest the rear of my camera on my backpack and sit the lens hood on the lens then tighten the screw.

Can't help with the monopod head, I either use the lens on a GM3550 'pod with no head or handheld.

Aug 20, 2008 at 01:25 PM
Adam L
• •
p.1 #4 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

No trick as far as I'm aware - I just slot it on and screw the lock.

My favourite lens. Congrats, welcome to the (arguably) best-lens-ever club

Aug 20, 2008 at 02:32 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

The hood feels tight, almost as if it has to be popped on. I'll take the shipping tape off but surely that doesn't add much thickness to the retention clip.

Aug 20, 2008 at 04:23 PM
rachp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Congrats!

1. I ALWAYS have trouble getting the hood on straight! I haven't taken the tape off of mine but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I just make sure I have the screw backed out all the way.

2. I also have the Bogen 3232 and it works fine - IIN, tc, 300 and flash and I have never had any worries about it. I do like the RRS but I am having a hard time getting past the price tag.

Aug 20, 2008 at 04:37 PM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

coppertop wrote:
The hood feels tight, almost as if it has to be popped on. I'll take the shipping tape off but surely that doesn't add much thickness to the retention clip.

It might be just because it is new. The hood for my 400/2.8 IS was pretty tight when I got the lens but after a few months of use it comes and off very easily.

Aug 20, 2008 at 04:37 PM
Nathan Hobbs
• • •
p.1 #8 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

rest easy, the 300 2.8L IS DOES have a protective filter.
The front glass peice is actually a specially designed meniscus lens that directs flare out of the path of the image and also protects the very fragile fluorite glass element behind it. It can be replaced if needs be by a Canon service center and its cost is comparable to what a uv filter of that diameter would set you back.

Aug 20, 2008 at 04:39 PM
Adam L
• •
p.1 #9 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Nathan Hobbs wrote:
rest easy, the 300 2.8L IS DOES have a protective filter.
The front glass peice is actually a specially designed meniscus lens that directs flare out of the path of the image and also protects the very fragile fluorite glass element behind it. It can be replaced if needs be by a Canon service center and its cost is comparable to what a uv filter of that diameter would set you back.

Very interesting to note, thanks.
I presume this is the same for the other Super Teles?

Aug 20, 2008 at 04:56 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

I don't use a head with of the big lenses.

E

Aug 20, 2008 at 05:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gil_W
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Congrats on the new lens. Just take your time with the hood, no secrets on putting it on.
I thought I would need to use my monopod but found out I got use to the weight and prefer to hand hold it even with the weight of a mkIIn attached.
I have the 500 also and it is a nice combo. The 300 is a slightly better lens, but just slightly. The colors and sharpness are better from the 300. The 300 f/2.8L is fantastic.
Good Luck,
Gil

Aug 20, 2008 at 05:05 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

I am using the 300 with the Manfrotto 488 RC2 ball head on my monopod and it works fairly well. I've also used it with the 3421 gimbal head with good results.

Aug 20, 2008 at 05:11 PM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Take the tape off. Both the fixed edge and the "clip" on the end of the screw have close fits in the grove of the lens, and I bet the tape is an issue for you. It was made to work with the tape off, and eventually the clip will show a little wear, but it is no problem.

My technique for the lens hood is to unscrew the screw all the way, and then give that side of the hood a little bump. The blade side releases from the grove, and the hood is just kind of sitting there on the lens. I then use the knob to lift the whole hood off the lens, and to then turn the hood around. I then guide it back on to the lens in shooting positon, and wiggle it to get it to drop on down into the lens. I then screw the screw in to slightly firm. It only takes one hand for the hood if you handle it by the knob, and it works well. You get fast at doing it, and it works in reverse fine also to stow the hood. Your other hand can be holding the lens or lens and camera in most any configuration, including pointing downward if the situation or weather make that necessary. I have a long RSS multipurpose rail on my 300 both for the tripod mounting, and also to act as a handle for holding the lens.

I also have an Optech quick release strap on the lens, and usually have it around my neck when I handle my 300 f2.8 for hood changes or tripod mounting, so that any mess up results in zero damage to the lens. There are just some things you really do not want to drop. The hood can drop if you loose grip of it, but not the lens. The carbon fiber lens hood is very durable, and can take a lot of abuse. An aluminum one would be bent and dented fairly fast in rugged use. Another handling technique is to set the whole lens and camera down on the ground facing downward. That is why the front of the hood has that rubber edge. Nose down seems odd at first, but it works quite well unless the ground is not very level.

The 300 f 2.8 lens is incredible, and I find my self hauling it along and using it more that I ever thought I would, because of the great IQ that it can provide. I am also quite hooked on the drop in polarizer for many situations. You may want to look into one if you currently use a polarizer for your other lenses.

Remember that Canon put the protective front element on the lens for you. The front element is a fairly low cost replaceable thin protective optical element, that is designed to handle the dirt and water and mild impacts that a front protective filter would take care of. It has the added benifits of top notch antireflection coating on it that matches the lens design, and a slight curvature to it that avoids the flare issues that a flat filter can produce. So in you mind, pretend you have the best filter money can buy on the front of your 300, because you do, and you all ready paid for it.

Edited on Aug 20, 2008 at 05:22 PM

Aug 20, 2008 at 05:13 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

If you've never before used one of the Canon super tele lenses then you may initially be surprised at how difficult it is to fit the lens hoods. Actually, it is not difficult at all but it is sufficiently different that you might be left wondering what the secret knack is. Instead of just fitting directly onto the end of the lens in line with the lens axis like any other screw-on or clip-on hood would do, it needs to be applied slightly tilted to the lens axis. Simply tilt it so that the part opposite the knob is the first bit in place and then the knob side fits nicely into position as you straighten the hood up. It usually pays to have that knob quite loose too during this process.

Have a good look at how the locking mechanism works on the inside rim of the hood and all will become forever clear so that you'll never struggle with it again.

As for the monopod head it comes down to how and why you use a monopod. I use it for stability rather than weight support, and that usually has it leaning at an odd angle that precludes satisfactory shooting operation with a simple one-dimensional tilt head. I needed sideways tilt as well as fore/aft tilt, and I needed combinations. It might be different if I was just shooting on a flat sports field but I wanted it for when I'm shooting at birds in trees above me and also on the ground or water below me, and I wanted to follow them in flight or other movement. Therefore I use a full ball head, but one with separate tension and locking controls. If the tension is too loose then the lens can flop over too easily and becomes hard to manage. Keeping the lock and tension adjustments separate prevents accidental loosening. Mine is a Manfrotto 468MG. I figured that if I didn't use it enough on the monopod then it would find its way onto a tripod but that has not happened yet. Nor is it likely to, as I recently bought a Wimberley head.

- Alan

Aug 20, 2008 at 05:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Gil_W wrote:
The colors and sharpness are better from the 300. The 300 f/2.8L is fantastic.

That is a beautiful hummer shot.
(Trimming/cloning that feeder bit off would make it perfect.)

Edited on Aug 20, 2008 at 05:53 PM

Aug 20, 2008 at 05:53 PM
Gil_W
• • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

PetKal wrote:
That is a beautiful hummer shot.
(Trimming/cloning that feeder bit off would make it perfect.)

Thank you. I actually have it cloned out for a hummingbird slide show that I made for neighbors and friends. Just grabbed the original for posting.
thanks again,
Gil
Another:

Of course, anybody can use any lens to shoot a sitting bird, but the detail really shows with the 300 f/2.8 quite well

Edited by Gil_W on Aug 20, 2008 at 01:29 PM GMT

Edited by Gil_W on Aug 20, 2008 at 01:34 PM GMT

Edited on Aug 20, 2008 at 06:34 PM

Aug 20, 2008 at 06:02 PM
jacksan

p.1 #17 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

I have the RRS monopod head, and it works well when I'm at the baseball games

I haven't used other monopod heads, so I can't compare with the others out there

Aug 20, 2008 at 07:29 PM
Steve87

p.1 #18 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

coppertop wrote:
I do have two questions....

i've recently accquired this lens also and have found the same problem with the hood...thought it was just me...like you i still have the tape on the metal clip wanting to protect it as much as poss!

cant help with the mono head as i just screw it to the collar and that works fine for me...

thanks for posting the question, i was affraid to ask lol...and thanks for all those who have replied!!! a great help :-)

Steve

Aug 20, 2008 at 07:47 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #19 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

Thanks for the information.
I'll take the tape off and not (try to) worry so much about the front element. I knew the protective filter was there but still when you're not used to it, it takes a while to get used to.

One question about the Bogen 3232 (I think it's been replaced by the 324). Does it pivot from side to side or up and down?

Aug 20, 2008 at 08:15 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #20 · Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

The Bogen 3232 could in theory be mounted to tilt either way, but the standard use most people would want is to tilt up and down. The tilt allows you to point the lens up and down, while rotating the whole rig on the axis of the monopod allows you to point to any horizontal direction. Your tripod colar on the lens gives you another adjustment, to level a horizon, or to go to portrait orientation.

You can leave the head fairly loose and get vertical support without a rigid support of the lens for tilt, or you can lock the head down and get a more rigid support. For the money, it is a useful head. Check out more information about it at the RSS site, along with views of the expensive and very useful tilt head they now market.

Aug 20, 2008 at 08:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password